• Steven Davis
    • Dusan Tadic
    • Nathan Redmond
    • Manolo Gabbiadini
    • James Ward-Prowse
    • Charlie Austin
    • Shane Long
    • Jose Fonte

We were lucky to win it and a bit thanks to the ref. So glad Super Charlie took the penalty in the end too.

Our defense was shaky today, couldn't deal with the crosses West Ham put in.

I don't know what has happened to Tadic but he's always looking out of form. Time for Boufal.

JWP - those who can't see what he's offering should look at his play today. EVERY ball he put in to the box was spot on and no one in the team can put in crosses like him.

But we don't do much with the crosses as our forward line are small and lack much aerial ability . I don't want JWP ( or anyone else) banging endless crosses into the box because it doesn't play to the strengths of our forward players.

Bank the points, thank West Ham's incompetence and Lee Mason's generosity, move on. I guess.

Not sure what the positives were to take from that. West Ham were more dangerous than we were with 10 men. It never really looked like we had a man extra, so slow and ponderous on the ball were we, so easily hustled out of possession.

The Swansea game at least showed some encouraging signs - we pressed enthusiastically (didn't today) and consistently got into some good positions.

But, as evidenced by their feeble capitulation at home to United earlier, Swansea are going to be bottom three this season, which should put our "encouraging" 0-0 draw into context.

We were poor today, right across the pitch. Our defensive frailty in the air is so painfully obvious it's scary. Why isn't our giant sack of potatoes of a keeper coming out to try and help his beleaguered centre backs? Full backs not covering around. We can't carry on like this.

Lemina did all right, Prowse had a decent cameo, Gabbiadini kicked the ball twice - one goal, one brutalised crossbar. That's about all the positives I can note, aside from the very fortuatous result.

Has Redmond been linked with a move away? He phoned it in today; didn't fancy getting involved at any point.

they are both good on the ball, stephens particularly.

they are terrible in the air under pressure. utterly terrible

why people go on about either of them being brilliant, is weird

I said at the end of last season that they would be our first choice CB pairing starting this season. I got panned for saying that , but how right I was !

****ing hell. On a mountain in South Africa and just seen result!

I'm among the mountains in the East Kootenay region of British Columbia. Watched the game on LTE with my iPad mini. Couldn't make out a lot because of the small screen and poor eyesight, but I am worried about our ability in the air to handle crosses and long throws with Stephens and Yoshi at CB. If Carroll was fit, he could have caused major difficulties.

Thank **** Austin was on the field to take the second penalty.

I almost feel sorry for Fonte.

I'm really not convinced Gabbiadini is going to be a success, not in this formation. He just doesn't link up well enough with the rest of the team unless he's on the very end of the move.

Yet he scored and hit the woodwork ?

http://www.kumb.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=169151&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=700

Bit of a fun read

A great way to win a match against those cockney ****s

I generally don't like to gloat at others unhappiness as we've been on the receiving end many, many times.

However, the glib comment from one unhappy hammer, that Saints have a decent youth setup but are otherwise a w*nky little club.... A bit rich my old c*ckney pork pie chum... A bit like WHU then... W*nky little club with a decent rep for youth...

And to think I used to think there was some synergy between the two clubs... Both founded in hard working class areas with connections to the docks etc... Very w*nky indeed.

Been saying the same thing about Redmond and Tadic for months. Both average. Rather see Long starting, at least he grafts.

Start JWP instead of Davis and sort a decent centre back and I think we'll be ok. What were people's thoughts of Lemina?

Lemina had a decent game, new league different country. He reads it well always covering, breaking up keeping it simple and provided a good defensive platform against a strong physical team.

If Bertrand, Redmond, Tadic and Davis had been anywhere near 80% of their best we might have done better.

Defence so poor in the air - manager should have changed it earlier up front.

3 points well done got out of jail.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

We have won....

But it was not a convincing display at all. And he's right.....we need that commanding CB and VVD is an utter disgrace for us having to start the season like this.

I never want to see VVD in a Saints shirt again - he is an utter s***face.

Wow-loved that ,but lot harder than it needed to be.

As good as Yoshida and Stephens are on the ground they are both weak in the air or at least not strong enough.Bearing that in mind we have to react better to loose balls in and around the box.

Only player that disappointed today imo was Redmond. Some could have been better but for me NR was poor today.

Nonetheless loved it, refreshing change from last season in excitement terms.

I thought we were much better against eleven men than ten. Second half very disappointing in all honesty and we got out of jail in the end. Puel would have got dogs abuse for the insipid second half performance against ten men. Still it makes up for our bad luck last week.

Was impressed by Lamina given it was his first Premier League appearance. Reminds me a lot of Schneiderlin, a good physical presence (stronger if anything), energy and wants to be positive on the ball. Will only get better.

It's rare I say this but Fraser had a good game with decent saves for both goals but we weren't able to react as quickly for the rebounds

A real papering over the cracks win in the end. We're so predictable going forward - nine times out of ten it winds up out wide for a cross, yet in Cedric and Tadic (when the latter is on the right) we have two dreadful crossers. Both the penalties were gifts in a way, one from Fonte and one from the referee, and without them you have yet another huff and puff attacking display enlivened by a solitary moment where Redmond and Gabbiadini combined with good movement and quick, accurate passing. Other than that, it was mostly the same story - nice quick stuff in midfield, followed by turgid predictable outlet balls to the wing when nobody has the nerve or skill to make something happen through the middle.

After a shaky start I thought Lemina did okay and he definitely provides a physical presence that was missing last season. Davis did virtually nothing apart from getting tugged back for the pen, so if we stick with the same system I'd have JWP ahead of him every time just for the corners alone. Redmond was a passenger for the second half, and shouldn't feel aggrieved if he loses his place to Boufal. Gabbiadini is a good finisher with great movement, but we really don't have the passing or vision in central attacking midfield to get the best out of someone who plays off the shoulder of the last defender.

Less said about the defending the better - hardly won a defensive header all game.

Jwp needs to play out on the right for good crosses. Redmond shouldn't play as much as he does as he's rubbish. Davis was poor today and the new guy was average. We have no spark or trickery in midfield, we need someone with a bit of life which is what I thought boufal would bring us but not sign yet.

Just back from the match.

One of those games where the result was far more satisfying than the performance, especially having listened to a rendition of "2-0 and you f**ked it up" before our last gasp penalty. That was quite pleasing :)

I thought Yoshida was one of our better players - made some important interceptions and tackles - but hear what people say about his (and Stephen's) lack of command in the air.

I thought Bertrand had a poor game. A lot of stray passes and he has that "I don't really want to be here" vibe about his body language.

Was slightly baffled that Boufal didn't get a chance to exploit our one man advantage. We were crying out for some midfield creativity (just for a change... ;) )

When they got their red card I turned around to my son and said: "we're usually rubbish against 10 men"....lo and behold... We played worse than we did vs 11.

Couldn't watch the Tadic penalty, which is just as well given how poor it was! (watched recording on my son's phone at half time).

Big sigh of relief at the end when Tadic didn't step up for the 2nd penalty. I was able to watch that one!

So, all things considered, I think we just about deserved to win that, but I'd probably say the opposite if I was a West Ham fan!

2-0 and we nearly f**ked it up...! :)

I generally don't like to gloat at others unhappiness as we've been on the receiving end many, many times.

However, the glib comment from one unhappy hammer, that Saints have a decent youth setup but are otherwise a w*nky little club.... A bit rich my old c*ckney pork pie chum... A bit like WHU then... W*nky little club with a decent rep for youth...

And to think I used to think there was some synergy between the two clubs... Both founded in hard working class areas with connections to the docks etc... Very w*nky indeed.

Interesting to read their generally one-sided take on the ref's decisions today. IMHO:

Tadic was lucky to escape with a yellow for his foul on Hernandez.

Lemina's elbow on Arnautovic looked like arms raised to jump for a challenged high ball. He could have got a yellow but it did not look like a deliberate blow and did not warrant a red.

Noble's tackle on Lemina was a nailed on red card. He's lucky the ref missed that.

Arnautovic's challenge on Stephens was a straight after the ball assault. A no brainer for Mason.

The first pen was a deliberate pull back by Fonte on Davis. Nailed on pen, and Jose was lucky to escape a booking.

The Stephens handball was close range, some of it seemed to strike his chest and the referee's view was obscured by players. Last weekend a close range handball by one of the Swansea defenders was not given as a pen.

The injury time pen, Zabaletta pushed Yoshi in the back as he was going for JWP's cross. Looked like a foul to me. Austin has apparently referred to it as a 50-50 decision in a post match interview.

Edited by Saint Albert
Ad 1st pen

A few things.

Cedric is pants at shooting.

Never pressed hard enough second half as so many players stood still waiting for the ball to feet.

Our defence is not too good when defending set pieces.

It's great to score goals again.

West Ham out sung us badly.

Tadic is not a penalty taker.

Finally I loved the bit on my stream where Kruger had to explain to Katherine what the bloody hell were the paper clapper things she had in her hand.

Presume you were in knysna or George, I lived in knysna for a bit very nice place to chill

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

Wilderness today, been staying in George.

Drove through Kynsna a couple of times this trip, utterly devastating what the fires have done.

Strange - would agree that VVD would only improve the side but I thought Yoshida and Stephens put in some excellent tackles and Stephens had some excellent 1 v 1 with a beast of Antonio.

I think the greater problem was aerial balls and in general reacting quickly in the box. Which are VVD speciality I guess.

Lemina got into the game more but the really annoying thing for me was Cedric and Tadic crosses. All day lofted, back post or over hit. Really really poor every time one of them was at the right by line.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It is amazing how biased football fans are. I'm sure I am to an extent but some of those comments are laughable. Someone wondering sarcastically whether the time would be added on after the penalty because the penalty "took ages to be taken"... only because all of your players, particularly Joe Hart, were trying to delay it as much as possible!

Wilderness today, been staying in George.

Drove through Kynsna a couple of times this trip, utterly devastating what the fires have done.

some nice surf and dolphins at wilderness, seen any paragliders off the dunes today ?

Yeah the fires savaged the area, just awesome landscape and environment and keep a look out for the elephants hidden in the forest who are the most southerly elephants in the world - about 20 in total, I've never seen one only rangers seem to see them.

enjoy your trip :-0

I thought Bertrand had a poor game. A lot of stray passes and he has that "I don't really want to be here" vibe about his body language

That's the impression I got too. Redmond also seemed lethargic in the second half. I thought Gabbiadini was fine but playing a bit deep at times. Lamina had a decent debut, a few misplaced passes to start with, but good physicality. Cedric will one day get a goal but he needs to learn not to lean back... Yoshida made some good tackles but in the air...hmm.

We made hard work of that but thank goodness goals, a win and points.

But it was not a convincing display at all. And he's right.....we need that commanding CB and VVD is an utter disgrace for us having to start the season like this.

I never want to see VVD in a Saints shirt again - he is an utter s***face.

ON the contrary I want to see VVD as CB asap.

What the f@@k is Bertrands problem? Never looked interested and ran straight off down tunnel as soon as full time was blown.

Yep, if that's the level of performance we can expect I think we should sell him in january and give McQueen and Targett some rotational game time (unless we're in a fight for the top six or fighting relegation - neither of which I think is likely).