Saints v Spurs - Match Thread

St Chalet

We’ve turned up today with the ball. Look terrible off the ball in the back 4.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Totally agree, we look good in midfield and up front, but awful at the back.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Watching this just makes me so frustrated for our current situation. We really shouldn't be in the relegation zone with the players available to us.
I agree but like last season don't have that goalscorer.

As for Stephens! he was complaining and moaning that he wasn't getting a game when VVD came back in, he isn't good enough.

Every single week pundits, commentators and even neutral fans rave about him and when he's on the bench are bewildered as if that's why we're so low down. I really don't understand it.

Sent from my SM-J330FN using Tapatalk

Perhaps he isn't as bad as many on here think. How about playing him up alongside Gabbi or instead of. His pace will cause problems

Growing into game, were so dire at the back tho

We really need that commanding, calming influence (someone like VVD when he could be bothered to play for us). We've restricted them to 2 shots on target but it feels like they're going to score every time they come near our penalty area

Great to hear the fans in good voice - they're trying to do their bit

Stephens to blame for Kane header, he let Kane get the run on him and gave up leaving Gabb the only one jumping with him.

This is again a good performance and i can't fault the effort but looking at it - we need to replace VVD, as Stephens/Yoshida/Hoedt is rubbish strength in depth and we need a leader, none of them are that.

Gabb hasn't really played that well, but he may well nick a goal. Tadic has been good in spells but i think this game suits Boufal more (although Tadic gives away the ball less)

Referee is awful, dembele has been getting away without being carded yet more than four fouls?

Bertrand/Cedric our best players, Lemina looks fitter, JWP looking very good some great crosses and delivery.

Spurs look subpar - but we got closer to Alli/Kane this time out, they look shaky at the back especially the space left behind Aurier and Davidson Sanchez looks suspect. I would take a point but feel Spurs will score a couple more.

If all you'd seen of the premier league was that half, you'd say the two teams had about the same potential. I really think the negativity around the team and MP is over-done. Every time we come out we look really confident on the ball, and usually the players have seemed fully committed. If we'd had exactly the same season, but three pieces of bad luck reversed had brought us another 5-6 points, we'd all be thinking this is a decent work in progress. JWP's progress really great to see. One lethal striker and this is an amazing team. Fingers crossed we can keep Kane out second half and knock one in.

Not a bad display at all, but we are defending far too deep. At times, when Spurs are crossing, our defence are only five yards away from McCarthy. Talk about invite pressure! Tadic and JWP looking decent, as are the rest of the midfield. Gabbi offering little up front - his movement really isn't the most intelligent. What is clear is that we need to replace VVD asap.

If all you'd seen of the premier league was that half, you'd say the two teams had about the same potential. I really think the negativity around the team and MP is over-done. Every time we come out we look really confident on the ball, and usually the players have seemed fully committed. If we'd had exactly the same season, but three pieces of bad luck reversed had brought us another 5-6 points, we'd all be thinking this is a decent work in progress. JWP's progress really great to see. One lethal striker and this is an amazing team. Fingers crossed we can keep Kane out second half and knock one in.

Agree with most of that, but defensively we have regressed.

Thing I find most frustrating, is that Hojbjerg, Romeu, Lemina and JWP are all really good. Play them, let them develop understanding and build a team. Bertrand and Cedric have been excellent in the past, Tadic is a good left winger, Gabbiaidni and Austin can finish chances....even fcking Redmond scored a few last year.

With some tweaking and a couple of signings there's a really good young team in there.

Yep. It'll be gutting watching the team get ripped apart in the summer following relegation. ;)

This is one reason why I've turned against our manager more quickly than any since I supported Saints - we have a decent team, top 10 easy, but we're bang out of confidence due to odd tactics, players getting dropped after good performances, odd subs that usually appear too late, and constant rotation with players having no time to gel. We need a manager to come in, pick the best XI available and simply play them together as much as possible.

Annoyingly we're looking good in attack this game, but the defence looks like it's crapping itself every time the ball goes near Kane. The second half will make for uncomfortable viewing, whatever happens!