Mo Elyounoussi

Daft Kerplunk

I just can't see him working out in the PL. He's too slow to be a winger. And too easily brushed off the ball. He's got some techincal ability, but that's about all you can say for him.

A really damning cock up from the recruitment department, given that they'd boasted of having scouted him for about five years before taking the plunge.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, qwertyell said:

I just can't see him working out in the PL. He's too slow to be a winger. And too easily brushed off the ball. He's got some techincal ability, but that's about all you can say for him.

A really damning cock up from the recruitment department, given that they'd boasted of having scouted him for about five years before taking the plunge.

Agreed, too slow and no motor for the pressing game. Can he even tackle?

Seems a nice fella, though...

He's "found his level" I feel. I just can't see him ever being a success in the PL, he doesn't have any standout characteristics. 

He's not quick, he's not skillful, he's not great shooting from distance and he doesn't read the game particularly well....I'd be shocked if he comes back and is a success, but obviously if he comes back and trains to be a success in this system, and Ralph thinks he's good enough, he'll have my backing, just cant see it...

Agree with the posts above. When he was here, he was given chances, even under Ralph, but he did not have a single impact in the majority of his appearances, even against Derby and just looked a level below the quality required.

I know there is the occasional gem at Celtic, as we more than most have found in recent years. However, it wasn’t too long ago that Scott Sinclair and Patrick Roberts were the star wingers at Celtic, also scoring in Europe, so I don’t know how much we can read into Elyounoussi’s performances currently. We also saw Forster become the star in Scotland again last season and he too helped them overcome Lazio in the Europa League, but now he’s back on our bench and looks to be there until his contact expires...

But, also if his performances help make a club come in permanently for him then I am all for it! 

Edited by HarvSFC

2 hours ago, Saint Garrett said:

He's "found his level" I feel. I just can't see him ever being a success in the PL, he doesn't have any standout characteristics. 

He's not quick, he's not skillful, he's not great shooting from distance and he doesn't read the game particularly well....I'd be shocked if he comes back and is a success, but obviously if he comes back and trains to be a success in this system, and Ralph thinks he's good enough, he'll have my backing, just cant see it...

I think you’re probably right — At the minute, I’d say if we are in a situation where we get some money for him next summer it’s a win-win.

Who knows what the football landscape will be like next summer — will probably have to hope a promoted side comes in for him.

• 2 weeks later...

Nonsense about the mobile phone checking after being subbed seems to have gone away. The Celtic fans thought it was Lennon and his mates Lambert and Sutton trying to deflect from the Slavia Prague debacle. s

Won’t fit Ralph’s system but could sell now for a reasonable fee.

Watching Torquay v Crawley in Cup, 16 minute delay due to a horrific injury to Crawley’s on loan keeper from Brighton. Torquay 2 up and playing well but that looked really bad, hope not as severe as looked

55 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

Glad to see he's progressing, would be nice if one of our "failed" signings actually turned it round. Could be a Redmond replacement if we cash in on him next summer. 

We need players capable of performing in the Premier League, something he struggled to do. Scoring a hat trick vs Motherwell really doesn't help his case.

29 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

We need players capable of performing in the Premier League, something he struggled to do. Scoring a hat trick vs Motherwell really doesn't help his case.

He barely got much of a chance in the Prem, and that was at the back end of the dark days in between Koeman and Ralph. 

Scoring a hat trick against Motherwell will help his case more than not scoring against Motherwell. 

And Ralph has said there is the opportunity for him to challenge in the side next summer. 

7 hours ago, Saint_clark said:

He barely got much of a chance in the Prem, and that was at the back end of the dark days in between Koeman and Ralph. 

Scoring a hat trick against Motherwell will help his case more than not scoring against Motherwell. 

And Ralph has said there is the opportunity for him to challenge in the side next summer

Of course he has, that’s a default media answer for any player out on loan. Ralph is hardly going to say he’s crap and he’s finished here, that just puts us in no place to bargain with other clubs. True a hat trick against Motherwell won’t exactly harm his reputation but it’s of little help either. It no different to Sims suddenly looking decent in League 1 or Boufal in Ligue 1.

11 hours ago, Saint_clark said:

I guess we'll see. 

We all wrote Forster off as well, but he's back as number 2. Which world class club was he turning in performances for? Oh...the same one.

Forster's back as number 2 because nobody would pay to take him off our hands, not because he's suddenly brilliant.

15 hours ago, Saint_clark said:

I guess we'll see. 

We all wrote Forster off as well, but he's back as number 2. Which world class club was he turning in performances for? Oh...the 

15 hours ago, Saint_clark said:

I guess we'll see. 

We all wrote Forster off as well, but he's back as number 2. Which world class club was he turning in performances for? Oh...the same one.

Ely was brought because he showed he had promise, he came during a terrible period of football, and didn't light up our disjointed team. So our incredible astute fans shat on him every chance they could, along with jwp, romeo, ings, readers, and later on Che , dejenepo, etc.....I have watched time and time again, big nob saints fans thinking they know better and that so many of our player were crap! And laughably they are usually wrong!! Again a player if our is doing much better, enjoying football and yet he isn't good enough for us? You are not good enough to judge! Or do you like looking like the ass after the players prove you wrong. Please give ely some slack, let's hope he can do it in the PL instead of condemning him. How is constantly putting down your own players conducive to a positive confident player. Can you see how quick  judgment can make matters worse, our HOME form showed that us moaning and bitching just upset our players, we are gone from  the stands, and now they can shine without our petulant insults and condemnation. Silence is golden.......and give the players a lot less stress!

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, BERMUDASAINT said:

Ely was brought because he showed he had promise, he came during a terrible period of football, and didn't light up our disjointed team. So our incredible astute fans shat on him every chance they could, along with jwp, romeo, ings, readers, and later on Che , dejenepo, etc.....I have watched time and time again, big nob saints fans thinking they know better and that so many of our player were crap! And laughably they are usually wrong!! Again a player if our is doing much better, enjoying football and yet he isn't good enough for us? You are not good enough to judge! Or do you like looking like the ass after the players prove you wrong. Please give ely some slack, let's hope he can do it in the PL instead of condemning him. How is constantly putting down your own players conducive to a positive confident player. Can you see how quick  judgment can make matters worse, our HOME form showed that us moaning and bitching just upset our players, we are gone from  the stands, and now they can shine without our petulant insults and condemnation. Silence is golden.......and give the players a lot less stress!

Hear! Hear! Well said Sir.

It's weird how when players perform for Celtic people always say "well its a crap league, these performances are meaningless" but the last few players we signed from Scotland have all gone on to be superb additions to our team (Armstong, VvD, Wanyama, Forster, Davis). Seems like the Scottish league is underrated as a proving ground for quality.

• Like 2

If he had even shown a few glimpses in his games for us that he could come good given time, then I could maybe see a way back for him. But I can't remember a single positive contribution from him in a Saints shirt, at best he was anonymous and at worst he looked like a random guy had been plucked off the street to play. He just isn't good enough for the fast pace of the Premier League. Got nothing against him and hopefully he continues his good form for Celtic so we can recoup some of what we paid for him.

He has good movement off the ball, strikes a football well, can cross effectively and is quite skillful.

Unfortunately, he's also very slow and seems to lose confidence easily.

I remember him getting into great positions to score a couple of times when he arrived, but missing his finishes and then not making the runs to get into the box afterwards.

I also remember a great bit of skill where he flicked the ball over a defender and sent him to the shops, but was then caught by the same defender about twelve steps later and lost the ball. He's nowhere near as quick as Tadic who was never exactly Usain Bolt himself.

I think he's a good, technical footballer but I'm not sure he has the physical attributes to dominate a game in the Prem.

I just don't think he was ever suited to the PL if i'm honest. He's getting the time and space in Scotland which is what he needs, you don't get that in the PL.

I never thought his touch was tight enough and he was too slow off the mark, both with the ball and without it. He's a typical 'star player in a lesser league' but not quite good enough to make the step up.

Luckily for us he's doing well at Celtic which should mean we can get some money back.

2 hours ago, Saint_clark said:

If we signed a player from Celtic who had got 14 goal involvements in 18 games people would be buzzing.

Georgios Samaras? Scott Sinclair? Gary Hooper? Leigh Griffiths?

Celtic have had plenty of goalscorers over the years who were absolute shite.

Dembele turned out decent, mind you.

Edited by qwertyell

5 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

I just don't think he was ever suited to the PL if i'm honest. He's getting the time and space in Scotland which is what he needs, you don't get that in the PL.

I never thought his touch was tight enough and he was too slow off the mark, both with the ball and without it. He's a typical 'star player in a lesser league' but not quite good enough to make the step up.

Luckily for us he's doing well at Celtic which should mean we can get some money back.

Agreed - his technique is okay, but not nearly good enough to make up for his lack of acceleration, top speed and strength. Tadic was also pretty slow, but his control and awareness are miles better, which is why he's starring against the likes of Madrid in the Champion's League, and Elyounoussi is starring against Motherwell in Scotland.

7 hours ago, Saint_clark said:

If we signed a player from Celtic who had got 14 goal involvements in 18 games people would be buzzing.

Yes and then when we watched him actually try and replicate that for us in the Premier League, we’d be thoroughly disappointed.

33 minutes ago, verlaine1979 said:

Agreed - his technique is okay, but not nearly good enough to make up for his lack of acceleration, top speed and strength. Tadic was also pretty slow, but his control and awareness are miles better, which is why he's starring against the likes of Madrid in the Champion's League, and Elyounoussi is starring against Motherwell in Scotland.

Tadič had a skill and change of direction which could leave the best defenders flat on their arse. We all remember that Chelsea game when he had Ivanovic dancing a merry jig and there was a game against Norwich when he had Whittaker hopelessly chasing shadows; ended up getting sent off for two yellows inside about 25 minutes.

Moi has none of that, he just sort of wishes the defender wasn’t there so he could put a cross in.

He's a mystery to me. When he was with us he was complete and utter rubbish. He contributed absolutely nothing. Not a thing. He showed no skill or speed or vision - nothing. Seems to blow hot and cold for Celtic too, but he has had good games and has been impressive overall. I guess the standard is just much, much lower up there, as MLG says.

14 hours ago, verlaine1979 said:

Not just Motherwell though. He scored 2 against Lille (second in Ligue 1) and another against AC Milan. Those teams are not too shabby. 

1 hour ago, Yozzman said:

Not just Motherwell though. He scored 2 against Lille (second in Ligue 1) and another against AC Milan. Those teams are not too shabby. 

He also aced it with Basel.

Think he is suited to a more low paced game.

Won’t succeed here. Sell while his value is high.

• 3 months later...

Few reports today saying Celtic are looking to make the move permanent, in a £5m deal. I'd take that and move on. Another transfer mistake we need shot of.  He'll be 3 years into a 5 years contract this summer, so "book value" from an accounting perspective would be about £6m, if we can get that I think the club should take it and remove his stupid wages off the books. Never going to make it here. Possesses none of the skills needed to become a regular in the premier league.

• Like 1

On 10/11/2020 at 07:44, Danbert said:

He's a mystery to me. When he was with us he was complete and utter rubbish. He contributed absolutely nothing. Not a thing. He showed no skill or speed or vision - nothing. Seems to blow hot and cold for Celtic too, but he has had good games and has been impressive overall. I guess the standard is just much, much lower up there, as MLG says.

You've answered your own mystery. He looks ok for Celtic because he is playing in a 1 star league. He looked shit for us because he was attempting to play in arguably the most competitive league in the world. I don't really know much about what he's done in Scotland, I do know he was  off-the-stratosphere shit for us. And before anyone asks - no I did not realise I was answering a post from 3 months ago when I wrote that. 

Edited by stknowle

8 hours ago, Saint Garrett said:

Few reports today saying Celtic are looking to make the move permanent, in a £5m deal. I'd take that and move on. Another transfer mistake we need shot of.  He'll be 3 years into a 5 years contract this summer, so "book value" from an accounting perspective would be about £6m, if we can get that I think the club should take it and remove his stupid wages off the books. Never going to make it here. Possesses none of the skills needed to become a regular in the premier league.

5 million is taking the piss. I know most clubs are skint right now, but Celtic are exceptionally skint and are lowballing us with that amount. Yes he didnt perform for us in the PL, but we paid 16 million for him, hes done well at Celtic (in league and europe) and will still have two years left on his contract come the summer. Would have some suitors in europe too 

13 hours ago, woodsaint1 said:

5 million is taking the piss. I know most clubs are skint right now, but Celtic are exceptionally skint and are lowballing us with that amount. Yes he didnt perform for us in the PL, but we paid 16 million for him, hes done well at Celtic (in league and europe) and will still have two years left on his contract come the summer. Would have some suitors in europe too 

Can you see anyone else offering more ?

• Like 1

On 10/02/2021 at 23:57, woodsaint1 said:

It's of no relevance to Celtic we had our pants pulled down. I'd take it, still a lot of money to us right now, plus the saved wages. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Lighthouse said:

£5m more than we got for Carrillo or Boufal, who both cost the same or greater. I’d take that.

Hopefully we don't still have the same scouts who found these guys, they should have all been sacked at the same time Ross was turfed out. Turns my stomach over to think how much we splurged on Carrillo, Boufal, Hoedt, Elyonoussi, Lemina - if we hadn't, and Ralph had that to play with, the story may be totally different.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Hopefully we don't still have the same scouts who found these guys, they should have all been sacked at the same time Ross was turfed out. Turns my stomach over to think how much we splurged on Carrillo, Boufal, Hoedt, Elyonoussi, Lemina - if we hadn't, and Ralph had that to play with, the story may be totally different.

I think we may have been premature on a couple of these:

Carrillo - never given a proper chance. I know he was never going to be an Ings or even Pelle, but to be honest, would have been worse than Che Adams?

Boufal - Had enough chances to show he's the same as Redmond, Mousa and arguably Walcott. Lots of show and little end product. Not saying we should have kept Boufal but he wasn't any worse than what we have now.

Hoedt is playing for Roma or Lazio isn't he, if he is playing for them then he's good enough for us. 

Elynoussi - i think simply not good enough for our league

Lemina - should be good enough really, just think he can't be bothered.

All teams are going to buy duds, it happens. Just think with a couple of them, we could have persisted a little more. 

12 minutes ago, Noodles34 said:

I think we may have been premature on a couple of these......

Worthy point.

Hoedt and Carillo were busted flushes. Poor buys and have struggled elsewhere. No problem really, kissing frogs and all that, it happens

Boufel I rate, shame he went. Boy could we use him now.

Lemina not doing it at Fulham. Just not EPL standard attitude wise. However would be useful right now as a temporary option whilst Diallo recovers.

Mo just too slow, we all saw that straight away. Good player otherwise. JWP is the same but he compensates elsewhere.

All cones down to wages really. Had to clear the books.

Edited by macca155
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Noodles34 said:

Carrillo - never given a proper chance. I know he was never going to be an Ings or even Pelle, but to be honest, would have been worse than Che Adams?

Boufal - Had enough chances to show he's the same as Redmond, Mousa and arguably Walcott. Lots of show and little end product. Not saying we should have kept Boufal but he wasn't any worse than what we have now.

Hoedt is playing for Roma or Lazio isn't he, if he is playing for them then he's good enough for us. 

All teams are going to buy duds, it happens. Just think with a couple of them, we could have persisted a little more. 

I agree that clubs will sign duds, it will happen. But our 'duds to successful ratio' over the last 5 years has been diabolical for a club of our size, now it's put us in this situation.

Carillo is the biggest dud we've ever had. He wasn't given more opportunities because he wasn't a very good football player. That was a shocking, criminal deal for us to sanction. No point persevering with a player who is clearly no where near the level.

Boufal had more than enough chances, lots of twits and turns, but no end product as you said. But like you also say, it's the same as our other wide players. Moussa in particular is again no better than Boufal. Moussa is looking more and more like another expensive £15m dud for me. 

Hoedt - shocking player, he doesn't deserve the time of day from us. He's at Lazio and being as equally dreadful there going by reports. He thought he was a world beater, a superstar, yet he is one of the worst CB's I've seen play for us live. And I saw Alan Bennet at home to Crystal Palace. 

Lemina - talented, but attitude all wrong. I'd say we persevered with him, but again a player we signed with all the right tools but the completely wrong make up mentally.

Elyonoussi - Not a PL player, no idea what the scouts saw in him to feel he's suited for the PL. Weak on the ball, poor off the ball, slow as hell.

That near on £80m of transfer fee's above. They've either been released for free or are on loan. That level of 'return' is disastrous for a club of our size. I will accept clubs have duds, but not to the tune of £80m worth. It's killed us.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Noodles34 said:

Agree re Boufal, he offers more than the 3 you named in my opinion. I had high hopes for Djneppo, he's a big nothingness

• Confused 1

On 27/06/2018 at 20:05, S-Clarke said:

Genuinley excited by this one, he's quality. Quick, bit of a unit - wouldn't say he's small, tricky and a very good dribbler. Also knows where the net is.

I love these sorts of signings - star of a team in a lesser league, at a good age. We'll probably sell him in 2 seasons time for double the fee, but if that happens it means he's been a success.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VvYpQiznHO4

Standard youtube.

Elyonoussi - Not a PL player, no idea what the scouts saw in him to feel he's suited for the PL. Weak on the ball, poor off the ball, slow as hell.

maybe they saw the Elyonoussi you were drooling over on page 1

everyone can agree that Carrillo was bad and was always going to be bad but the others had all shown a reason to be sign, even Hoedt who had played for Lazio and Netherlands at that point

12 minutes ago, MAY-Z said:

Elyonoussi - Not a PL player, no idea what the scouts saw in him to feel he's suited for the PL. Weak on the ball, poor off the ball, slow as hell.

maybe they saw the Elyonoussi you were drooling over on page 1

everyone can agree that Carrillo was bad and was always going to be bad but the others had all shown a reason to be sign, even Hoedt who had played for Lazio and Netherlands at that point

No idea who I'd seen, I reckon I thought he was someone else! 

You could tell he was too slow for this league the moment he stepped out on the pitch for us though, you'd have hoped professional scouts would have figured that.

I do remember at the time we were battling it out against Everton for Hoedt, apparently. But again, as soon as he stepped out onto the pitch you could tell he wasn't suited. We've got scouts paid thousands to be the judge of players suitability for this league and they got it wrong too many times.

Edited by S-Clarke