Mo Elyounoussi

Daft Kerplunk

38 minutes ago, Give it to Ron said:

What are his strengths because the only one I see is the ability to be in a position where he just quite doesn’t get the ball.

He just quite doesn't do a lot of stuff.

Just quite doesn't make a killer pass, or beat a man, or get on the end of a cross.

He's not a bad player, it's just that so much stuff he tries nearly works rather than actually working.

• Like 1

Far from being the best player but something to admire about his character and the way he has turned it around for himself when he could have tossed it in at Saints and given up.

We clearly need reinforcing in that position but I think Ralph probably likes the fact that you know what you are getting with Elyounoussi, he follows tactical instructions and is quite comfortable playing inside.

Certainly more reliable than Walcott, Djenepo and Tella, and with Armstrong's injury prone nature not a bad guy to have in the squad on probably average wages. We aren't going to get rid of everyone.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Give it to Ron said:

What are his strengths because the only one I see is the ability to be in a position where he just quite doesn’t get the ball.

Or is easily dispossessed.

2 hours ago, SambaMaverick said:

He is just way too slow and weak, for me - and I think he knows it. Always seems to be turning back when at least with Redmond you'd see him trying to get down the line or come inside at least 50% of the time.

That’s it in a nutshell!

• Like 1

I don't dislike him as much as many on here are saying. I see a footballer there, and many positive moves from him, and as someone above suggested, he is clearly often doing a good job of following the manager's instructions.

6 minutes ago, Piran said:

I don't dislike him as much as many on here are saying. I see a footballer there, and many positive moves from him, and as someone above suggested, he is clearly often doing a good job of following the manager's instructions.

No doubting he has technical ability, but he's just horrendously slow and weak. He'll stand out technically in a lesser league, because he is decent in that sense, but his lack of pace and strength will always hinder him at the top levels.

• Like 1

He’s a solid player, who was joint third in both our goals & assists totals last season.  I get why people aren’t that enthused but we should be slowly strengthening the team so he becomes a squad player, rather than a starter.  He’s a good option to have

1 hour ago, davefizzy14 said:

Good news in my opinion. Moi is a quality player who adds something different to our attack. Eight goals this season proves that.

Not really, as 4 of those 8 were vs lower league teams in the cup. 3 of which were vs a 4th tier team.

He still looks our of his depth in this league. He doesn't have any notable attribute that stands out and often goes missing in PL games.

Edited by Matthew Le God
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

Not really, as 4 of those 8 were vs lower league teams in the cup. 3 of which were vs a 4th tier team.

He still looks our of his depth in this league. He doesn't have any notable attribute that stands out and often goes missing in PL games.

Exactly same as I feel too but Ralph seems to rate him for some reason must be great in training against our defence because he has hardly shown in games since March

Has never been good enough for the Premier League and if he does get a contract extension he joins the list of players like McCarthy, Long and Walcott that should be nowhere near our side.

Almost makes me think we’re preparing for life in the championship by offering him an extension.

• Like 2

His best moment of last season that i remember was his header against Spurs in the comeback win. He made a great run that JWP crossed it to him and he headed it in. He needs to do that more.

Personally I’d have shot of him, and keep only Armstrong of the 10s, then sign replacements but I suppose we don’t have the money for that so need to keep a couple. I suspect Tella will still be here too. Please can we get at least one decent 10, if not two.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Matthew Le God said:

An MLG post I agree with. Has shown in fits and starts and we’ve got a little bit back plus the Celtic loans of the money Reed squandered from the VVD sale. However, renewing his contract at what is probably another £60k p/w is as big a waste as McCarthy or Stephens. He won’t play in the Champ anyway if we do go down next year and plenty of other leagues will want him.

He will do well again in a less physical and fast paced league and seems a really decent lad. Anyone with any football sense would take £7-8m if the buying club picks up the last year’s additional wages (say £10m overall, which for a regular Norway international with CL experience isn’t bad value). Unfortunately I don’t think Crocker and Ralph are making the right moves so far with the risk on Bazanu as well. I get SR want to buy other clubs but just wish Rasmus had taken control of transfers this summer as the club needs someone who actually knows what they are doing in the market. Look at the players Brentford, needing refinement but quick, strong and intelligent units that when quality was added to them with Eriksen looked handy. And at a fraction of the cost of Saints.

Someone mentioned Tella, there’s another that needs regular football now at 23. One penalty won and one goal is the sum of about 40 cameos and first team starts. Take the Champ route like Obafemi and work his way back.

Edited by saint1977
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

No doubting he has technical ability, but he's just horrendously slow and weak. He'll stand out technically in a lesser league, because he is decent in that sense, but his lack of pace and strength will always hinder him at the top levels.

He also goes "missing" in games for long periods and the weakness you mention often results in loss of possession or a turnover.    I think we have seen enough of Elyounoussi either side of his Celtic stint to be able to mark his card as surplus to requirements.     Be happy just to retain S. Armstrong out of the 10s on the books and send Tella out on loan at the very least.   There has to be a bit of ruthlessness shown this window and some quality recruiting to avoid a close look at relegation.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

A really good week for him I thought. Excellent first half against West Ham, a very decent performance against Bournemouth, and thought he did a great job for the team.

I just wish he offered a bit more in the final third, but fantastic assist today. At the end of the day. It’s completely reliant on movement in front of him. 

Deserves to be starting atm, 

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Nordic Saint said:

He was very good today. The last ditch defensive tackle and the assist for the goal were outstanding.

Absolutely this. Moi was brilliant today. Great last ditch saving defensive tackle and the assist for Stuart :)

Edited by davefizzy14
  • Like 2

He's hit a little bit of form which is nice. Just wish he'd be a bit more decisive with his shooting and have a go from the edge of the box more often.

That block was great, but he only had to make it because he'd just scuffed a reasonably good chance from 6 yards out!

I just can't my head around Moi.

He was obviously brilliant today...great saving tackle and assist, but I noticed neither at the time.

He is invisible to me and almost always the player I don't want to see in the starting XI and am bemused is never substituted.

This is a reflection of how bad I am at watching football, btw, not how good he is at playing it....

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SaintBobby said:

This is a reflection of how bad I am at watching football, btw, not how good he is at playing it....

No, you're right to think he's invisible most of the time. He is. He usually plays at pub level except for the first half v West Ham and second half against Arsenal. Delighted that he's started to show up from time to time, but he needs to do it far far more regularly. Nobody will be happier if he finally improves and becomes a Premier League player than myself.

That "finish" just before his excellent track back summed him up quite nicely. He was scared of their defender so didn't even make contact with the ball 6 yards out. You would have scored that Saint Bobby, and I've no idea about your physical attributes (yet 😘).

Edited by niceandfriendly
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, niceandfriendly said:

No, you're right to think he's invisible most of the time. He is. He usually plays at pub level except for the first half v West Ham and second half against Arsenal. Delighted that he's started to show up from time to time, but he needs to do it far far more regularly. Nobody will be happier if he finally improves and becomes a Premier League player than myself.

That "finish" just before his excellent track back summed him up quite nicely. He was scared of their defender so didn't even make contact with the ball 6 yards out. You would have scored that Saint Bobby, and I've no idea about your physical attributes (yet 😘).

This. He's grossly inconsistent and while he was very good yesterday, we need him to turn up far more often. We can't afford to carry passengers.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Viking Saint said:

This. He's grossly inconsistent and while he was very good yesterday, we need him to turn up far more often. We can't afford to carry passengers.

I'd argue that his off the ball work is consistent, that's why Ralph picks him as he’s reliable on that side.

His problem is the lack of consistency in an attacking sense, that's where we need him to play those killer balls, drop his shoulder and beat a man etc but it's few and far between he does that. It's great that we have a '10' who can close, work hard against the ball etc, but ultimately he will be judged on his attacking output which is pretty awful overall.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, skintsaint said:

Runs out 2023....59k a week he is on apparently.

Doesn’t seem much for. Premier league player these days. Similar boat to Moussa, do you risk losing him for nothing, or can he do a job for us over the next few years and protect the asset? 

He’s probably worth an extension IMO, depending on what the plan is with investment moving forward. 

• Like 1

After half a step forward, he took 20 back today. That first half was as bad as I've ever seen from an 'attacking' player.

What often gives him some wiggle room in fan opinion is his off the ball work, which is somewhat consistent, but even that was dire today. When you're judging an attacking player's impact on their off the ball work then it's probably not a good sign. Still don't think he's anywhere near the level we need.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

After half a step forward, he took 20 back today. That first half was as bad as I've ever seen from an 'attacking' player.

What often gives him some wiggle room in fan opinion is his off the ball work, which is somewhat consistent, but even that was dire today. When you're judging an attacking player's impact on their off the ball work then it's probably not a good sign. Still don't think he's anywhere near the level we need.

Exactly. His performance against Arsenal was a rarity and probably won't be seen again for 9 or 10 games.

At the end of the day he's a Championship level player. Much like Adam Armstrong..

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

It would be peak Southampton if we fail to get our CF, yet on deadline day we announce a new contract for this buffoon.

Got nothing against him and he tries hard, does a lot for us off the ball, but as an attacker - at this level - he is just pointless and not worth having out there.

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 1