Danny Ings

JxgrSaint

12 minutes ago, LeG said:

Alex Crook haha. Jordan Sibley used to wind him up - probably still does. He's spouted so much BS about us over the years. Really not suprised that MS has come out and denied it. Ings has to be aware of interest. I reckon its spurs or Arsenal. Feel sorry for Saints. Selling ings would set us back a long way again. You would think that he signs on with us for more money and still gets a big move though? Everyone is then happy. 

Personally I see it as signing with Saints and staying for a good while, or getting a big move - not both.

No point him signing a new contract now and then moving in the summer.

Beyond that he starts getting too old for a big move I would have thought, especially if a hefty fee is involved.

Basically: he eithers signs and stays for 2/3 years or he goes in Jan/summer.

I think Spurs will fall short this season, Kane will go and Ings will replace him. Unfortunately it’s the natural pecking order of football. If it’s done in the right way then who can blame him? We’d all look to improve our career opportunities for more money and the chance of being more successful wouldn’t we? I appreciate some won’t agree with that sentiment - let’s hope DI is one of those!!

10 hours ago, LeG said:

By signing the contract now, he gets more money for 6months plus the club will get a bigger fee if he is sold. Only very rich clubs will be interested in him. They will pay the £

Respectfully disagree.

From Saints perspective, I am sure if they get him to sign a new deal, and the fanfare that will go with it, they would see him staying for at least two more years. Can you imagine the fan reaction if we sold him 6 months after heralding him signing an extension?

From Ings perspective, if he wants to leave then why sign a new contract as it will 1.) Make a summer move more difficult as his price would go up. If a club would want him in the summer they would want him now and would be telling his agent not to sign as it would then make it much harder and more expensive to buy him in the summer. If he genuinely wants to go elsewhere then him signing a new contract is a stupid way to make that happen.

2.) Would make him out to be a bit fake when he then decided to leave just months after taking the acclaim for staying. His long term rep here would be ruined, and would be worse than if he didn't sign a deal at all IMO.

7 minutes ago, Shroppie said:

I, and 23 other fans, heard it direct from Martin Semmens, Saints CEO.

Do you get the impression the club/Semmens/Ralph are more "hopeful" or more "confident" that Ings will sign? 

How they spoke cannot easily be portrayed in simply text. 

25 minutes ago, MarkSFC said:

Do you get the impression the club/Semmens/Ralph are more "hopeful" or more "confident" that Ings will sign? 

How they spoke cannot easily be portrayed in simply text. 

I would say hopeful. It was emphasised that each contract negotiation is a personal matter with many factors.

The club have to consider overall wage bill as well as any precedent set by a deal. Danny, I would guess, is balancing being happy at Saints with earning more elsewhere, maybe with a last chance of bigger success with a CL team, but there again, having bigger competition for a starting place and maybe not fitting in another team as well. As well as maybe keeping an agent happy and considering personal issues.

Saints believe they have a selling point in being a well-run club, currently on the up, having great training facilities and a manager who can develop and get the best out of players. And a team with great cohesion and hunger that can be bigger than the sum of its parts.

Not simple, is it?

4 minutes ago, Shroppie said:

I would say hopeful. It was emphasised that each contract negotiation is a personal matter with many factors.

The club have to consider overall wage bill as well as any precedent set by a deal. Danny, I would guess, is balancing being happy at Saints with earning more elsewhere, maybe with a last chance of bigger success with a CL team, but there again, having bigger competition for a starting place and maybe not fitting in another team as well. As well as maybe keeping an agent happy and considering personal issues.

Saints believe they have a selling point in being a well-run club, currently on the up, having great training facilities and a manager who can develop and get the best out of players. And a team with great cohesion and hunger that can be bigger than the sum of its parts.

Not simple, is it?

Plus the fact he's the main man here, at a bigger club he'd be one of 4 or 5 good strikers. I hope he stays but wouldn't blame him for leaving to have a go at ending his career with a few medals on the mantle piece, if he does then lets take the cash and move on. It' be disappointing if he went somewhere like Arsenal who look miles away from winning anything any time soon, but if the likes of Man U, Spurs, Chelsea, cant really blame him.

Edited by Turkish
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Plus the fact he's the main man here, at a bigger club he'd be one of 4 or 5 good strikers. I hope he stays but wouldn't blame him for leaving to have a go at ending his career with a few medals on the mantle piece, if he does then lets take the cash and move on. It' be disappointing if he went somewhere like Arsenal who look miles away from winning anything any time soon, but if the likes of Man U, Spurs, Chelsea, cant really blame him.

Yep, he's got hero status here, and guaranteed starts. He won't have that at a club playing European football...look at Bale at Spurs, Cavani at Man Utd, Giroud at Chelsea. He's had to sit out a big chunk of his career, and I'd be surprised if he'd want to spend the rest of it as a bit part player. With that said, I'm in the let him go if he wants to go camp. 

Think we need to keep our form going as Ings will see that we are on the up.

Plus he is thriving under our style of play.

Don t see how a move to Spurs, Man U or Arsenal helps his game.

Man city on the other hand, i can see them wanting him. They need a striker.

You could also have Klopp wanting him back as Firminho isn t scoring...

1 hour ago, Turkish said:

Agreed. I think we've learned the frustrating but realistic lesson from the VVD saga that we can't hang onto players who want away.

At the Fans' Forum yesterday the message was very much that we want players who are committed to Saints, and not just for the money. If someone wants away, they can go at the right price. No-one is indispensable and there has to be evolution and change.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, stevy777_x said:

Man city on the other hand, i can see them wanting him. They need a striker.

You could also have Klopp wanting him back as Firminho isn t scoring...

City will go for Kane I reckon...and Ings not even the same type of player to Firminho, plus they have Origi who always seems to do well but never given a decent run. Maybe 60m plus Origi will do 😆

10 minutes ago, Shroppie said:

Agreed. I think we've learned the frustrating but realistic lesson from the VVD saga that we can't hang onto players who want away.

At the Fans' Forum yesterday the message was very much that we want players who are committed to Saints, and not just for the money. If someone wants away, they can go at the right price. No-one is indispensable and there has to be evolution and change.

Exactly the way it should be. 

20 minutes ago, Shroppie said:

Maybe so but it has to be on our terms, as letting go a player just for the sake of him Wanting out shouldn t wave our hand as  we need to reinvest on someone who comes here.

It’s just the agent and the club playing hardball. The more interest from other clubs, the more his value increases in terms of wages. 

I suspect he’ll sign a new one either during or after the January window and then leave in the summer or following summer. 

I have doubts about Bertrand, though. 

57 minutes ago, SKD said:

I suspect he’ll sign a new one either during or after the January window and then leave in the summer or following summer. 

Again, why would he sign a new contract in January and then push to (and be allowed) to leave in the summer, just months later?

What is the point of that, from either side?

18 hours ago, SaintsFan86 said:

That is your opinion, as is everyone else's., no one here has a clue how Alex or anyone else gets there information.

I think Martin Semmens has backed up my opinion and his is not even a debate. Alex Crook doesn't know anymore than you or I, end of story. 

12 minutes ago, saintjimbo83 said:

I think Martin Semmens has backed up my opinion and his is not even a debate. Alex Crook doesn't know anymore than you or I, end of story. 

I still laugh to myself every now and again about how he blocked me from twitter for reminding him how he claimed Saints weren't interested in Charlie Austin only for him to sign the very next day. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Dusic said:

Again, why would he sign a new contract in January and then push to (and be allowed) to leave in the summer, just months later?

Agreed, if he signs a new contract he is here for the next 2 or 3 seasons at least, and possibly ending his career here. Let's hope that is what happens.

Unfortunately this increasingly has a familiar feel to it and we all know the longer it drags on what the likely outcome is.

Come on Danny, you are loved here and could potentially be part of something special with your hometown club over the next few years!

1 hour ago, Dusic said:

He doubles his wage for 6 months + receives a nice signing on bonus for him and his agent. 

The club retain the value of the player. 

Given a gentleman’s agreement (or even a clause in his contract) that if a top 4 club offer x then he can leave. Both winners, if a top 4 club doesn’t value him at x, then they either don’t get the player or don’t rate him highly enough. 

realistically, if he doesn’t sign and we sell him in the summer what’s he worth..£30-40m (anything less is worthless selling as his goals will keep us up and guarantee 30-40m anyway)? If he does sign what’s he worth £50m (max)? it’s not going to increase his value significantly this summer,  imo. It’s next January where we’re likely to start twitching. 

1 minute ago, niceandfriendly said:

Didn't VVD sign a huge new deal with us just before leaving? Possibly Lallana too?

Van Dijk signed the biggest deal in our history i believe.

Then off he went six months later.

3 hours ago, Turkish said:

I still laugh to myself every now and again about how he blocked me from twitter for reminding him how he claimed Saints weren't interested in Charlie Austin only for him to sign the very next day. 

What a waste, at least i got to call him twat before i got blocked

5 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

You're right, we should hold onto an injury prone goalscorer who doesn't want to sign a new contract.

We don't know what the injury is yet, let's be honest. Last season was a freak season fitness wise, I think we all realise that.

The only way we can have a player of Ings quality is if he has a little disadvantage in fitness - I'll take that over no Ings.

Its a fair question to ask why Ings has played so many mins having just come back from injury.

Quite likely that he will miss more games with this one than he did with the knee injury, due to the amount of fixtures.

Lets hope it a minor one and he is back sometime in January.

I’ve seen players feel their hamstring and because they stopped at the right time they come back fast. Maupay earlier this season walked off the game before playing Saints and made it into the pitch against us in the next match.

Here’s hoping we are as lucky with Ings. He did seem relaxed about it waking off when speaking to team mates. Could miss a lot of games otherwise. Playing him 3 times in 6 days after only just coming back from a knee injury does seem nonsensical.

Edited by goodymatt
  • Like 1

I fully expected him to start today to try and help him get up to speed and find his rhythm again. The only thing that surprised me was him not coming off against Sheffield United at 3-0 up. Was very surprised he played the full 90 that day. 

3 hours ago, Saint Pete said:

I know it's easy in hindsight but seems a little daft to take the risk if this was a known issue. Especially given the number of games coming up and the fact Ings is not fully back up to speed after his last injury anyway.

Half the team wouldn’t be available for selection if you were that risk adverse to managing injuries and knocks. 

• Like 1

It’s a delicate balancing act with so many games coming up. I thought he looked a bit rusty last couple of games, so my take was to use the city game as a step to getting fully up to speed for the rest of the festive period. However, that was before anyone knew about a slight hamstring issue, so in hindsight maybe he should have sat this out. 

59 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

It’s a delicate balancing act with so many games coming up. I thought he looked a bit rusty last couple of games, so my take was to use the city game as a step to getting fully up to speed for the rest of the festive period. However, that was before anyone knew about a slight hamstring issue, so in hindsight maybe he should have sat this out. 

Yes I assumed the reason he had played so many minutes recently was in an effort to shake off the rustiness but given his injury record as soon as there is an issue spotted then caution is needed. The way Ralph spoke had this game been against Sheffield Utd or Fulham etc he wouldnt have been risked. 

This time last season we started with Adams and Obafemi against Chelsea because Ings wasn't right for the match (came off the bench) and we won... quite comfortably too. Maybe Ralph doesn't like his options now. 🤷‍♂️ If Tella is his next in line to replace Ings then you can see why.