Danny Ings

JxgrSaint

2 hours ago, saints1988 said:

I am sure he grew up a Saints supporter. But we did bin him off in the academy, loyalty is a two way street 

Personally I have no idea, but this comes up from 2014 when you google:

https://www.dailyecho.co.uk/sport/11664945.danny-ings-i-used-to-dream-of-playing-for-saints/

Certainly sounds like he was up to the age of 10, maybe after he was rejected he changed his allegiance. Nevertheless regardless of whether he was a Saints supporter, he has an allegiance to the area if not the team. If he were to leave, and I doubt it very much, I think it would only be to a London team, I thought Spurs were sniffing around a while back.

He must have some allegiance to the area and his roots because he randomly turned up to watch his old school Hamble play a Year 8 match one afternoon while he was at Liverpool. 

From what I heard he was back in the area and decided to pop in to watch. I do wonder if this was around the time he started talking to Saints about a transfer, although it was a while before any media outlets started linking him. 

Ings' impact on how well we play was emphasized tonight by our second half performance compared to the first. He has the effect of raising the game of those around him due to his work rate and higher level of class.  Just highlights how much we'll miss him if this turns out to be his last season with us :(

If he does go, I hope it’s done amicably and sympathetically to the fans who have put all faith in him returning to rightful quality after years of hellish injuries. He’s such a decent bloke that I would hate to see his Saints legacy tarnished in the same way as Lallana or van Dijk, the latter of who has to be my most loathed ex-Saint.

Edited by Maggie May

You have to question where he would go, even with one year on his contract I doubt he'd be cheap, at least £25-30 million. 

But who would take him where he would definitely play? Back to Liverpool? unlikely now Jota is there as well, that is 4 people he'd have to get ahead of.

Man Utd? Maybe, though he'd have to displace Cavani now by the looks of things. 

Spurs have Kane and Son, unlikely he'd get in there.

Arsenal are rubbish, he'd probably get a pay rise but there is Aubameyang. 

Chelsea have plenty of strikers, I mean Giroud is in the form of his life and he's not a guaranteed starter. 

Man City? I mean I think he's a better finisher than Jesus, so maybe the Aguero replacement but he doesn't strike me as a Man City sort of signing, likely they will be looking for a bigger name, probably a bit younger. 

Leicester as a partner for Vardy? 

Everton seems a bit sideways and they have Calvert-Lewin, plus likely Moise Kean will come back as he's playing well for PSG.

Somewhere on the continent? 

I think the Ings situation is relatively unique. 

He's going to be 29 in the Summer, which I'd assume will be the earliest we'd let him leave.

With a year left on his contract, i'd still expect us to be looking for £30-£35m.

Is there a top 6 club who would pay that money, for a 29 year old with a chequered injury record? Will his earlier injuries resurface later in his career?

If Tottenham Lost Kane, they'd be the most likely destination. At the moment I'd say it's likely only Man Utd that I could see him moving to.

I suspect the delay in contract negotiations is because he wants more than we're willing to pay at the moment, the clubs position may change if we continue our strong season and we manage to unload Lemina\Hoedt\Elyounoussi 

1 hour ago, Maggie May said:

If he does go, I hope it’s done amicably and sympathetically to the fans who have put all faith in him returning to rightful quality after years of hellish injuries. He’s such a decent bloke that I would hate to see his Saints legacy tarnished in the same way as Lallana or van Dijk, the latter of who has to be my most loathed ex-Saint.

Ha Ha, half the forum was bitching that we had wasted £20million on an injury ridden player with two dodgy knees

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Dan Johnson said:

With a year left on his contract, i'd still expect us to be looking for £30-£35m.

Is there a top 6 club who would pay that money, for a 29 year old with a chequered injury record? Will his earlier injuries resurface later in his career?

If Tottenham Lost Kane, they'd be the most likely destination. At the moment I'd say it's likely only Man Utd that I could see him moving to.

For a top 6 club that kind of fee is nothing. They would get a player who can hit the ground running from the start and might give two or three years at his peak.

I reckon a few of the top 6 will be looking at him. Why wouldn't they, he is class.

Hypothetical question klaxon...

If Ings 'did a Pogba' before the end of this month and declared he won't sign a new contract, either now or in the future, and then, say, Spurs pitched up with a, say, £75m offer in the January window, should we stick or twist? 

Edited by trousers

1 hour ago, trousers said:

If Ings 'did a Pogba' before the end of this month and declared he won't sign a new contract, either now or in the future, and then, say, Spurs pitched up with a, say, £75m offer in the January window, should we stick or twist? 

If Ings said he wasn't signing a new contract I'd sell for 50m in Jan, we aren't getting more than that in the summer with one year on his contract and we are probably bound for mid-table with or without him.

I don't see the issue with cashing in early and using Che + Walcott, finishing 11th and banking 50m in the summer which we can reinvest in two quality players (a forward and a good attacking mid) rather than holding him, finishing 8th or 9th, and having to sell him in the summer for 30m as his contract will be run down. If someone offered £75m even if he had signed a new contract I think that would be hard to decline, without a new contract I'd rip their arm off.

1 hour ago, trousers said:

£75 million we should take, that'd buy us 6 Salisus.  I do wonder if we're safe but not getting Europe come late January whether we decide to cash in, would potentially make sense.

3 hours ago, Jeremy Corbyn said:

£75 million we should take, that'd buy us 6 Salisus.  I do wonder if we're safe but not getting Europe come late January whether we decide to cash in, would potentially make sense.

I agree. We should take £75 million if offered. But I also disagree. Why would we want "6 Salisus"....we haven't seen the first one yet!  (only pulling your leg😉)

Seriously - I can't see anyone offering £75m - maybe £50m if they were desperate or Tottenham if Kane got injured.......although they don't seem to be using Bale too much. Possibly MMan U. No chance Chelsea or Liverpool.  I think Liverpool are more likely to be on the hunt for defenders.

As soon as Ings were to make clear he will not sign a new contract then his value would plummet as other clubs would know we had no real negotiating position - as happened with Hojbjerg.

All hypothetical, but think it needs sorting one way or another soon.

6 hours ago, Jeremy Corbyn said:

Not when you factor in wages 

53 minutes ago, Micky said:

Just been discussed on TalkSport that both Danny and Ryan are close to signing new deals. Great news.

well Ryan has supposedly been close to signing since early August according to sources, inc The Athletic I believe.

I'm hoping its right obviously but not holding me breath just yet....

Edited by beatlesaint

It will be interesting to see whether Ings signs. I think it comes down to whether he is happy here and sees becoming a proper club legend when he retires as the most important thing, OR whether he harbours real ambition to win the league or CL, with a bigger club. Theres no reason why we might not win a cup but that I guess would be a bonus, and we could reach europe again in the next 3 or 4 years, who knows. My gut is he will sign,  but my gut has been wrong often enough not to bet on it!! Either way I hope its resolved soon. Him and Berty signing until say 2024 or 25 would be a huge boost befor echristmas and send a big message about where the club want s to go.

I've been quite critical about Crook on here beforehand, but pretty clear that he now has actual sources at the club (maybe something to do with the fact that he now has a regular spot on TalkSport). Can't think of anything this season that he has tweeted about the club that has been wrong. So I'd be encouraged by what he's said today. 

2 hours ago, beatlesaint said:

well Ryan has supposedly been close to signing since early August according to sources, inc The Athletic I believe.

I'm hoping its right obviously but not holding me breath just yet....

He's just got a really long signature. Has to take a break in-between names to ice his wrist.

• Haha 1

For those saying cash in on him, that is a very risky standpoint. We're only just recovering from taking the cash for van Dyjke, not that we had much choice there. But money is nowhere as good as a proven goalscorer who showed what he means to us as a team when he came on at half time on Monday night. We were woeful without him. Coincidence? Maybe, but he adds zip, and pressure, and creativity. And goals. Him signing would be a massive boost. Hope Crook's sources are good.

47 minutes ago, Toon Saint said:

I've been quite critical about Crook on here beforehand, but pretty clear that he now has actual sources at the club (maybe something to do with the fact that he now has a regular spot on TalkSport). Can't think of anything this season that he has tweeted about the club that has been wrong. So I'd be encouraged by what he's said today. 

This. Regardless of our amateur opinion on him, he is one of the main ‘sources’ on Talksport these days, if that counts for much. 

I will believe this when trusted sources like Adam Blackmore suggest they are close to signing. No offence to Alex Crook, but he said Tom Davies was close to signing...........

Perhaps when Ings went off injured against Villa, it made him have assess his situation more? Luckily it wasn't a bad injury, but he may want one last shot at a "big club", as it could have been a lot worse and another serious injury.

I have a feeling he will sign a contract, but all that means is we can command a higher fee anyway.

Starting to wonder whether it's the club not the players stalling.

I'd imagine both Bertrand and Ings would be our highest paid players, if not now then certainly on signing any new contracts. And can't imagine either wanting to upsticks and go elsewhere at this stage of their careers provided they get the deal they feel they are worth. And I'd imagine the club will want to keep them. ( It's a slow morning, lots of imagining going on)

We are apparently £3m per month down on income (not profit) whilst playing in an empty stadium. Maybe the club are just being sensible and operating on a "wait till things are normal" basis before commiting. It might even be a case of " as things stand we can only contract to pay you x but wait till when things get back to normal and we can pay you x+y" scenario. And/or waiting to get some of our loan players off ther books completely in January.

Only snag with that is if the players lose patience and start looking elsewhere.

2 minutes ago, Wurzel said:

Starting to wonder whether it's the club not the players stalling.

I'd imagine both Bertrand and Ings would be our highest paid players, if not now then certainly on signing any new contracts. And can't imagine either wanting to upsticks and go elsewhere at this stage of their careers provided they get the deal they feel they are worth. And I'd imagine the club will want to keep them. ( It's a slow morning, lots of imagining going on)

We are apparently £3m per month down on income (not profit) whilst playing in an empty stadium. Maybe the club are just being sensible and operating on a "wait till things are normal" basis before commiting. It might even be a case of " as things stand we can only contract to pay you x but wait till when things get back to normal and we can pay you x+y" scenario. And/or waiting to get some of our loan players off ther books completely in January.

Only snag with that is if the players lose patience and start looking elsewhere.

A plausible theory, but doesn't really fit with Ralph 'going public' in the media recently whereby he was saying the ball is in Danny's court

13 minutes ago, trousers said:

A plausible theory, but doesn't really fit with Ralph 'going public' in the media recently whereby he was saying the ball is in Danny's court

True. Unless that was done with players blessing on condition they will be given the contract as soon as normality returns so as not to make it look like mclub clan't presently afford it. Although in doing so that would only alert other clubs to a potential availability that may not really exist, so a dangerous game to play.

2 hours ago, saintjimbo83 said:

No offence to Alex Crook, but he said Tom Davies was close to signing...........

How do you know he wasn't? Transfers don't always get over the line.

Im not saying Crook is a trusted source or not, but a bit harsh to judge him on that. 

16 hours ago, spyinthesky said:

Just think the reported transfer fee for Danny Ings was similar to Carillo and I guess the wages weren't too dissimilar either.
What a difference in value!!

Danny Ings didn't average a goal every other game when he signed for us so you can see why Carillo was similarly priced. 

34 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Danny Ings didn't average a goal every other game when he signed for us so you can see why Carillo was similarly priced. 

Until Danny publically refers to Ralph as 'The Master' then for me he's no Carillo.

I cannot stand Crook but surely he is legit with his info, given the platform he now has on Talksport.  Not saying much to some, granted.

However, Crook was demanding anyone booing the 'knee' should be banned from football......

Edited by AlexLaw76