Danny Ings

JxgrSaint

1 hour ago, TWar said:

Sounds like they inquired and we said "not for sale". This has been reiterated by Tom Barclay. Could cause issues next summer but I think I'd rather us lose out on ~20m on transfer fee and sell him cheaper and not risk going in to a season without him personally. Plus I think we can convince him to stay, especially given most sources reckon we will likely have a take over in the next year or so.

I don't think we would say not for sale right now, unless its just to drive the price up. 

9 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

I'd be stunned if he was sold this window, that's not going to happen.

But I fully expect this interest to have put a permanent pin in any contract talks, unfortunately.

He'll be off next summer.

I actually think the opposite.

He'll get a decent pay rise/extension off the back of this and then proceed to score 12-14 goals a season for the next three years.

21 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

It's a fair stance, but it'll be taken out of his hands if Danny doesn't sign a new contract and he's on 1 year remaining this time next year.

But he's not talking about next year. He's talking about now.

I remain incredibly comfortable in my belief that this season Ings will do fine but not enough to make him remotely interesting to the likes of Spurs next year anyway.

Edited by CB Fry

Yeah, if he has another season like the last one then the bigger and better than Tottenham sides will come in. I would not even rule out Liverpool if he remains injury free. We already know Klopp's a huge fan and if Firmino has a similar season to his last, then they will start looking for a replacement again, as they were heavily linked with Werner before Chelsea came in.

36 minutes ago, HarvSFC said:

Yeah, if he has another season like the last one then the bigger and better than Tottenham sides will come in. I would not even rule out Liverpool if he remains injury free. We already know Klopp's a huge fan and if Firmino has a similar season to his last, then they will start looking for a replacement again, as they were heavily linked with Werner before Chelsea came in.

Dippers just spent 45m on jota

• 5 weeks later...
15 minutes ago, Jeremy Corbyn said:

Great news!  I can imagine there was/is a temptation to sell him at his peak (£50/60m?), however, having him as a talisman for the next few years will be huge and should be worth much more than that.

Suspect it’s to retain his value at £50/£60m, rather than the idea of him staying for full length of his contract. 

This is the article for those without a sub...

England striker Danny Ings looks set to end speculation over his future and hand Southampton a massive boost, with the 28-year-old close to agreeing a new long-term contract at St Mary’s.

Ings has scored five goals in eight games for club and country this season and was subject to a bid from Tottenham during the recent transfer window.

But Southampton had no wish to sell their key player, with manager Ralph Hasenhuttl stating that Ings had “zero interest” in leaving the south coast.

That left Saints optimistic they would achieve the desired outcome and they are now increasingly confident the former Burnley and Liverpool forward will extend a three-year deal he signed in 2019.

Talks continue over details such as the duration of the fresh terms and a possible release clause. Ings has flourished since his loan move from Liverpool was made permanent. He registered 22 Premier League goals last season — one shy of Golden Boot winner Jamie Vardy — and has started the new campaign where he left off.

Ings has already found the net four times in five league outings, including Saturday’s dramatic 3-3 draw at Chelsea. He has also been named in Gareth Southgate’s last two England squads, scoring his first international goal with an acrobatic overhead kick in a 3-0 victory over Wales at Wembley.

This bit is slightly worrying, but as long as it's large, then I think it's ok...

• Like 2

Release clause is bad. Hoped he would now look to end his career here as a Southampton lad. Someone would surely look to activate it, if his scoring form continues. Goals are most definitely the hardest thing to replace in football, and I don't back us in being able to replace him whatever the fee we receive. See us with the VvD money and were that went and also Spurs with the Bale money.

Release clause means nothing, even if there wasn’t one we’d still have a figure we’d let him go for, every player has a price and this is Saints we’re  talking about so you can always rely on us to bend over when another club comes calling.

1 hour ago, bpsaint said:

Release clause means nothing, even if there wasn’t one we’d still have a figure we’d let him go for, every player has a price and this is Saints we’re  talking about so you can always rely on us to bend over when another club comes calling.

Only worry for me is if it’s set too low. If his market price is, say, £60m but the release clause is £40m you’ve set yourself up for a load of clubs triggering it.

If there is a release clause set it at £100m. And for twice that amount, you can buy the whole club FFS!

9 minutes ago, SaintBobby said:

Only worry for me is if it’s set too low. If his market price is, say, £60m but the release clause is £40m you’ve set yourself up for a load of clubs triggering it.

If there is a release clause set it at £100m. And for twice that amount, you can buy the whole club FFS!

Clearly we wouldn’t agree to anything as low as £40m and Ings wouldn’t agree to anything as high as £100m. £60m is probably about right for a player like him.

£60m is fine. There's only a few clubs who would pay that for a 29 year old with dodgy knees, and frankly they'd be the clubs we'd be powerless to hold off if they were interested regardless of a release clause.

At least this way, they know the price, we don't have to negotiate (not our strength) and we can make plans for, say, signing three new starters (in the price range we normally operate in).

• Like 1

10 hours ago, qwertyell said:

£60m is fine. There's only a few clubs who would pay that for a 29 year old with dodgy knees, and frankly they'd be the clubs we'd be powerless to hold off if they were interested regardless of a release clause.

At least this way, they know the price, we don't have to negotiate (not our strength) and we can make plans for, say, signing three new starters (in the price range we normally operate in).

And then end up with 3 deadwood players on the wage bill who we can't get rid of 🙂

On 20/10/2020 at 11:36, DT said:

So can I. And for Ralph eventually. Swines.

It fits their modus operandi, although Ralph would have to pull some rabbits out of the hutch with us for that, considering they put 5 past us the other week. Hopefully Poch is holding out for a return there once things go south with Mourinho.

• 2 weeks later...