Ralph Hasenhuttl

Edmonton Saint

Just now, Dusic said:

We give loads of young players contracts, it doesnt mean the Manager thinks they are all good enough to PL in tough PL games. Part of it is to protect the asset as we might be able to sell him for 500k in future. If he was that highly rated they wouldn't have let his deal run down to less than 6mths left and would have given him 4 or 5 years.

Ramsay played against Man City aged 18 and was poor, understandably.

He then played against Derby in the cup and was poor and didn't play for the first team for two years until the Man Utd game when there was literally nobody else. He was poor.

I get that people want Ralph to change it up, but its pretty obvious that he doesn't think Ramsay is the next TAA and that tallies with his performances when he has played.

PL is ruthless and I can see why the Manager will go to experienced PL players rather than inexperienced players with 4 or 5 pro games to their name - especially if he doesn't especially rate that player.

See also clamour for Jankewitz to play - why would Ralph trust him over a player like Armstrong?

Ralph did trust Jankewitz to do a better job than Armstrong against Man Utd. Armstrong played as a 10. Sure, it went tits up, but he preferred him. 

Ramsay wasn't poor in that game. The poor lad had Djenepo in front of him with Shaw, Rashford and sometimes Fred and even Maguire all coming down that side. He did OK. 

I love that you conclude that Ramsay has been given an extension to protect an asset. You have no idea what the reality is - he's not a 17 year old being given 12 months. He's 20 years old and 2 years shows faith in him, as do the words of Matt Hale "We have great confidence he will continue to grow and be a part of the club's future."

You don't rate him, but the club do. 

11 minutes ago, egg said:

Ralph did trust Jankewitz to do a better job than Armstrong against Man Utd. Armstrong played as a 10. Sure, it went tits up, but he preferred him. 

Ramsay wasn't poor in that game. The poor lad had Djenepo in front of him with Shaw, Rashford and sometimes Fred and even Maguire all coming down that side. He did OK. 

I love that you conclude that Ramsay has been given an extension to protect an asset. You have no idea what the reality is - he's not a 17 year old being given 12 months. He's 20 years old and 2 years shows faith in him, as do the words of Matt Hale "We have great confidence he will continue to grow and be a part of the club's future."

You don't rate him, but the club do. 

Of course Matt Hale is going to say that. More interesting is that the quotes about a 20yo contract extension come from the Academy Manager and not the first team manager, which IMO shows how he is viewed.

If you think Ramsay did ok against Man Utd then fair enough, but I saw a player who was poor positionally and lacking in composure, the same as when he played two years ago and presumably why he hasnt played since.

I haven't seen anything to suggest he is a viable option to start PL games and its certainly not some kind of howler to not select him.

I am absolutely certain that Ralph would love to find an academy RB who can cover KWP and prevent him from needing to play others OOP. But he obviously doesn't think Ramsay is that guy.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stevy777_x said:

You lot are so fucking fickle.

3 months ago Ralph was our best ever manager with us riding high up the table.

All of a sudden we need shot of him and you propose managers who have relegated their teams such as Howe.

In what world do you live in? Seriously go have medical checks over your mental health.

Our poor run has coincided with our worst injury list I can remember in a squad that was already thin before that, referees making outrageous decisions against us.

And fast forward a few defeats later our team is devoid of confidence (your interpretation of playing like utter shit because the manager has lost the plot bla bla bla)

Well fuck me, what do you expect?

It s called being out of form. And what do you want to do as soon as we hit a hurdle? You want to sack the bloody manager? 
You absolute fucking cunts.

You are so short term oriented it i can see your shit sticking out of your arse.

Judge a manager at the end of the season not after a run of 12 games. 
I bet you all the money in the world that once we will get a few get a few wins under our belt (because we will) you will have changed your fucking minds again. It s called modern day fickle spectators, you re not even fans, it is embarassing.

I wondered who made that fawning bridge banner professing undying love to Ralph in the wake of his second 9-0 shellacking. 

1 hour ago, egg said:

The club just gave him a new 2 year contract. They obviously rate him. 

Rate him or realising they dont have the money to bring in a decent understudy to KWP that its now a case of "he'll have to do". I guess its somewhere in the middle. Remember we recently gave a contract extension to Shane bloody Long

25 minutes ago, Dusic said:

Of course Matt Hale is going to say that. More interesting is that the quotes about a 20yo contract extension come from the Academy Manager and not the first team manager, which IMO shows how he is viewed.

If you think Ramsay did ok against Man Utd then fair enough, but I saw a player who was poor positionally and lacking in composure, the same as when he played two years ago and presumably why he hasnt played since.

I haven't seen anything to suggest he is a viable option to start PL games and its certainly not some kind of howler to not select him.

I am absolutely certain that Ralph would love to find an academy RB who can cover KWP and prevent him from needing to play others OOP. But he obviously doesn't think Ramsay is that guy.

To be honest, I think Ralph is trying to protect the kids from the firing line. Confidence is shot and playing kids in a losing team does them no good. 

We'll agree to differ on Ramsay. I think he's got a chance. He's no TAA, but I think he's got a chance. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

You’re acting like the start of last season was nothing to do with Ralph, that he took over in Jan 20.

So it’s not a “couple of poor months off the back of high performance “. It’s a fucking awful run, following on from an 11th place finish. Not forgetting 2 record breaking defeats either side of this “high performance”. 

Football is not like other jobs, so trying to compare is pointless. What you can compare is jobs in football. I find it baffling that a guy with the record he’s got is feted by so many, it’s like a cult. I don’t want him ditched, yet. But if he losses the quarter final and we end up 15th or 16th, I will. It’s not good enough. 

the cult like status he has, given bang averag overall positioning, is very strange.

Gray, F-ing Wigly, Sturrock, Souness, Merrington, Jones, Arry f-ing redknapp, Puel, Hughes, the dreadful Pellegrino and of course, Ian Branfort.

None of them have been on as bad a run, let lone 2x 0-9 defeats, compared to what Ralph is serving up.  No one!

My realistic target for Ralph to achieve is to perform better than the 41 points achieved by Dave Jones.

Those 41 points were achieved in Dave's second, terrible, 98/99 season. Not his successful Kevin Davies inspired first season: that was 48 points: I think that's pretty gone now, as is Puel's 46.

So if he does pick up a few wins, which I fully expect him too, let's all not switch back to "he's the messiah" mode.

We are very much in the midst of "average Premier League managers of Southampton" territory.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Colwinston Saints said:

I think long term this could be the best thing that's ever happened to us. 

Ralph was being linked with Chesea and United in November, now he's hopeless. 

Get over this run, his stock won't be so high and we still have our Ralph at the helm. 

Maybe this is all part of Ralph's plan he loves us so much & is so desperate to stay he is prepared to lose multiple games just so the big clubs don't come sniffing 😂😂

That's a sound theory right? 

Edited by Mr X
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, CB Fry said:

My realistic target for Ralph to achieve is to perform better than the 41 points achieved by Dave Jones.

Those 41 points were achieved in Dave's second, terrible, 98/99 season. Not his successful Kevin Davies inspired first season: that was 48 points: I think that's pretty gone now, as is Puel's 46.

So if he does pick up a few wins, which I fully expect him too, let's all not switch back to "he's the messiah" mode.

We are very much in the midst of "average Premier League managers of Southampton" territory.

He's certainly up there with Dave Jones and Graeme Souness right now, ahead of Pellegrini and Hughes but behind Alan Ball, Glen Hoddle. Interesting to see Branfoot achieved +50points twice, although in 42 games season, however that still puts his points per game above Hassenhuttl come a 41 point finish. Are we now getting into the realms of if it's a good or bad 41 points though? This seems to be the latest fashionable argument as the defence/attack when trying to prove something. 

Edited by Turkish
  • Like 1

I think we’re about Ralph’s level tbh, which suits us as long as he’s happy to stay.  He’s shown in recent weeks he’s not particularly adaptable and cannot handle certain situations as a coach.  However when it’s working we play great football and can punch above our weight.  

12 hours ago, stevy777_x said:

All of a sudden we need shot of him and you propose managers who have relegated their teams such as Howe.

In what world do you live in? Seriously go have medical checks over your mental health.

Our poor run has coincided with our worst injury list I can remember in a squad that was already thin before that, referees making outrageous decisions against us.

And fast forward a few defeats later our team is devoid of confidence (your interpretation of playing like utter shit because the manager has lost the plot bla bla bla)

It s called being out of form. And what do you want to do as soon as we hit a hurdle? You want to sack the bloody manager? 

You are so short term oriented it i can see your shit sticking out of your arse.

I bet you all the money in the world that once we will get a few get a few wins under our belt (because we will) you will have changed your fucking minds again. It s called modern day fickle spectators, you re not even fans, it is embarassing.

It's more than a bad run of 12 games though. Over the last 20 games we've averaged a point a game. That isn't good enough. 

Fair enough, the injuries during this awful run haven't helped, in fact it's the worst injury crisis I can remember since supporting the club but the manner of the defeats has not been acceptable. That is on the manager and the players, we effectively give us when we go 1 down. The Leeds game, we were lucky not to get another hiding because the players gave up, as Ralph pointed out. We were happy to just lose by 1 on Monday ffs. 

I wouldn't say I'm in the Ralph out camp, yet.. but the finger should definitely be pointed at him and he is nowhere near as good as hes made out to be.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, stevy777_x said:

Are you okay Hun? Ralph isn’t going to shag you mate. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, Christophenburg said:

Hello SaintsWeb - first time poster, long time observer!

For me, there are two particular issues with Ralph (and the club in general).

The first is that, to a large subsection of the fan base, he is completely above criticism, and they'll contort themselves into oblivion to blame pretty much anything or everything else then be remotely critical of the manager. That's not healthy, and especially not when factors they are blaming - players out of position, team morale, players not motivated to play etc., are his responsibility.

Secondly, he seems to have no back-up plan. Despite Bednarek being exploited heavily at RB against Leeds, Ralph did it again against Everton. As teams start setting up to counteract Ralph's tactics he doesn't make any changes. He's slow to make substitutions. He's slow to mix things up. He seems to favour squad seniority over current performance, or indeed players in natural positions.

Now I'm not saying he should go, I'm not quite sure what the solution is. Changing him might not be the right solution, but a No. 2 that he respects and can challenge him might be.

Yes, as Forester said, 2020 was a great year and he is responsible for that. But there is a third option that Forester doesn't propose. It's entirely possible that it wasn't a blip, and Ralph could have us performing in the same way he did in 2020, but that other teams, other managers, have adapted to neutralise Ralph's tactics when playing Saints. That's where the challenge falls at Ralph's door - can he adapt too? Does he have a Plan B?

He isn't irreplaceable, and even if the club has a long-term vision, there are others managers who play gegenpressing football that could deliver that vision if he left.

Welcome to forum.

The main complaints I would have against Ralph is that surely he had some say on letting Valery etc out - and it does appear to have been a mistake. Regardless of whether he feels Djenpo is better than Valery at that role, we needed the depth. This is compounded by letting Long out, Walcott being out, Minamino being out, Che Adams being off form, and Redmond being off form.... And the second point - Ralph's tactics leave us prone to taking a licking in games where perhaps we should have played for containment (and that may be because he's stubbornly ignoring the drop in matchday quality). But even saying that, we've nicked points late on because we keep on going - come back vs Chelsea (who should have had 2 goals ruled out for offisde built up and a handball) to draw 3-3, and the draw away at United last season to be two prominent examples.

Unfortunately i think you've slightly missed the point / gone off on a tangent somewhat. We are where we are because a terrible run of injuries has impacted a small squad at a financially stricken club. That has been coupled with playing the bulk of the top half and form sides (sometimes multiple times), minimal breaks between games, and terrible luck with referee/VAR decisions.

People can go on all they want about morale etc (i agree it is low), but is it really surprising when you consider what the team has been through. I don't think we've had more than 12 first team quality outfield players in our premier league matchday squad this year. So is it really surprising that we're struggling when we have such a small group of tired first teamers (that basically can't rotate), inexperienced youngsters, playing some of the best sides with no real breaks, and getting nailed by the refs every game?

In my opinion the United game was the pinnacle of bad refs vs squad depletion, it was like a bad joke at that point and you could see the players thought so as well. But equally just take say the Villa game - it should have finished 2-1 or 3-1 (if you considering Mings pushed Martinez over his own goal line and the goal was subsequently ruled out for a foul on the keeper, let alone the pen or farcical offside), or the wolves penalty fiasco, the fact that we should have been a goal up minimum vs Leeds, the blatant foul for Leicester's opener etc. Just how much do people expect out tired and threadbare squad to actually overcome?

Ultimately, we've been royally cock rogered this winter. and I just can't understand how people are judging Ralph so harshly for this form (with an absolute threadbare team) whilst ignoring (or even suggesting it was a blip) what he achieved with a full squad?!  To ignore the above makes any other analysis of limited merit, and to criticise him for it also seems very harsh. Especially when we all saw him have a top 4 standard 2020 with a full squad.... Sacking him would be mad.

Edited by Saint86
  • Like 6

Maybe it's just a question of whether Ralph's style is compatible with a club of Southampton's size and resources? Either he gets the backing to invest in the squad, or he changes his system, or we look elsewhere. Personally, I don't think he will change the system so it comes down to ownership and backing.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, gordonToo said:

Maybe it's just a question of whether Ralph's style is compatible with a club of Southampton's size and resources? Either he gets the backing to invest in the squad, or he changes his system, or we look elsewhere. Personally, I don't think he will change the system so it comes down to ownership and backing.

What is wrong with our system when everybody is fit? 

1 minute ago, stevy777_x said:

Nothing. It's great to watch but it places huge, unsustainable demands on the players. It's clear that using the Academy as backup is not tenable hence the need to either invest in the squad or change the system.

8 minutes ago, stevy777_x said:

This is the problem.  This season we started brilliantly and had a good run of more or less no injuries.  We then dropped off as soon as we lost one (JV) and then kept struggling as the injuries popped up.

When everyone is fit it's great, when one player isn't it falls apart.  We need to be a bit more robust than that.

21 hours ago, supersonic said:

It's a tricky one, I think Ralph is a good guy, I like the fact he has control over a lot of things that p*ssed off other managers (e.g. Koeman), but i'm genuinely starting to question him now. 

We're nose-diving towards relegation, in reality we will probably stay up, and relatively comfortably, but this run is deeply worrying and i'm not sure if he has it to turn it around.

Yes there are other factors (VAR/Injures/Squad Depth) which are all (mostly) out of his hands, but the style of play and continued perseverance with a system and formation that simply isn't working, is all controlled by him - any my biggest reason for concern.

Only 1 goal scored in the second half the last 14 matches is deeply concerning (JWP freekick v Newcastle)

Our over-reliance on scoring first and then holding on is deeply concerning.

Our seeming inability to crumble at the slightest bit of pressure, is deeply concerning.

The amount of points we throw away from winning positions, is deeply concerning.

Our negative style of football, is deeply concerning.

Our inability to breakdown teams who sit back is deeply concerning

The appalling form of several key players (Bertrand, Redmond, Adams etc) is deeply concerning.

Ralph looks mentally exhausted, as do the players and a few look to have given up on him, which is a worrying sign.

Apart from the first point in that list i would say that those traits have been common for years under different managers. Therefore i think it mostly comes down to the characteristics of some of the players and a lack of true leaders throughout the team. And this is largely still the same group of players.

What Ralph has managed to do that the others couldn't was at least to get us ahead more often! Unfortunately this hasn't happened as often recently for a variety of reasons already discussed. It is a concern but i think we will turn the corner again. We could do with addressing the imbalance of the squad but i fear that won't happen with the budget constraints.

Also, the inability to break teams down that sit back is pretty common amongst the majority of teams outside the top 5 or 6. Its what sets them apart really, although i agree that we are particularly poor at this. 

4 hours ago, Adkins' Bus said:

Apart from the first point in that list i would say that those traits have been common for years under different managers. Therefore i think it mostly comes down to the characteristics of some of the players and a lack of true leaders throughout the team. And this is largely still the same group of players.

What Ralph has managed to do that the others couldn't was at least to get us ahead more often! Unfortunately this hasn't happened as often recently for a variety of reasons already discussed. It is a concern but i think we will turn the corner again. We could do with addressing the imbalance of the squad but i fear that won't happen with the budget constraints.

Also, the inability to break teams down that sit back is pretty common amongst the majority of teams outside the top 5 or 6. Its what sets them apart really, although i agree that we are particularly poor at this. 

Agree with your last comment but would just like to add that the top 5 or 6 can and do pay more for there players - until we are in that league we will always struggle to break the park the bus teams down.

5 hours ago, gordonToo said:

Agree, but we need to remember that this season is a one-off because of the pandemic. The hectic schedule means we not only have to deal with injuries but also should be resting players that are fit. You just have to see how City are running away with the league to understand how more important strength in depth is this year.

• Like 1

Ralph needs to (and will) be given time to get something resembling a first team back out there before being judged by the board on current performances.

Others have already said what I'd say, but will just reiterate that never in my Saints supporting life have I witnessed such a combination of extended absences of key first team players out through injury and massive relentless clusterfucks of officials / VAR screwing us over week after week, all combining at the same time to skew results against us.

Ralph cannot do anything about being robbed of points by defenders diving full length to save goal-bound shots with their arms and VAR saying that's OK as it brushed a leg hair on the way through, linesmen spotting "offsides" that even VAR has to spend ten minutes redrawing the lines to agree with, or make the skate cunt Lee Mason or Mike "Jasper Carrot" Dean into fair and respectable referees when taking charge of our games.

He's effectively been working with his hands tied behind his back for a while now, with the state of the squad at his disposal. Sure, he's not beyond criticism, and has to take some responsibility for the lack of fullbacks at the club right now and related selection issues, but let's see how things shape up over the next few winable games. If we lose all of those and are still stuck on 30 points we'll be in the mire, and by that point, I'm sure at board level far more questions will be being asked.

As an aside, would greatly appreciate if someone can let me know how to upload an avatar, as I cannot seem to find any options to do so. Thanks. :)

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Toadhall Saint said:

@Rivers click on your name - there should be an option/icon to the left click on that - it gives you an option to upload a photo 

Thanks mate, though nothing is working. It's likely either that I'm a thick cunt, or because I'm currently on a tablet. Though the two are not necessarily mutually exclusive. :) Will try on the PC tomorrow to confirm if it's the former or latter.

Just for the sake of staying on topic -- if we win on Saturday & go ten points clear -- will Ralph still be shite and need sacking, or will he suddenly be OK again after all? 

10 hours ago, cloggy saint said:

You have to be a paid up member to be allowed an avatar.

Are you sure?

With the international matches coming up, does anyone know if we have any players visiting the red listed countries that require 10 day quarantine on return to UK?

9 minutes ago, Doctoroncall said:

Are you sure?

With the international matches coming up, does anyone know if we have any players visiting the red listed countries that require 10 day quarantine on return to UK?

Not sure but I believe Ralph stated on his recent press conference ahead of Sheff Utd match that the club would not allow any players to travel to countries where they would have to quarantine on return.

Imo our poor run can be compared to Liverpool's , I think with the way things have been messed up with covid with us both playing similar styles and not being able to use our recovery areas like we would our players are dead on their feet after half a game . I don't think we'd be doing so poorly had this been a normal season and we had a proper rest in the summer . 

Saying all that I still think after Ralph's latest interview saying the club HAVE to invest in better players in the summer if he's not backed he will walk .

9 minutes ago, simo said:

Imo our poor run can be compared to Liverpool's , I think with the way things have been messed up with covid with us both playing similar styles and not being able to use our recovery areas like we would our players are dead on their feet after half a game . I don't think we'd be doing so poorly had this been a normal season and we had a proper rest in the summer . 

The difference is we were average last season. When there wasn’t Covid, we were fucking woeful. 

11 minutes ago, simo said:

Saying all that I still think after Ralph's latest interview saying the club HAVE to invest in better players in the summer if he's not backed he will walk .

If anything our league position, and Ralph's reputation, has been built on the fact that our bunch of piss weak no backbone pussies have been able to weasel out of playing in front of the paying general public for a year.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

What we are all forgetting is that Saints are a very young side.  Had to look these up: KWP (23), Tella (21), Bednarek (24), Dialla (21), Adams (24).  Minamino and JWP are 26.  Salisu didnt play yesterday but is also 21.  The approach has been to replace the deadwood by either progressing academy players or bringing in good young players from abroad or UK - because that is all that we can afford to do.

We all know that we need to get cover at full back in the summer, but hopefully the players that we have will continue to develop.  This season has been very up and down, but I think that we will continue to progress next season.  But I think that we need to keep RH to do this.

• Like 3

I avoid the forum when we are on a losing run, just to avoid the absolute shite posted on the last few pages of this thread.

Ralph is the best asset this club has and the form we showed in 2020 with this group of players was miraculous. We’d be in the Championship right now if it wasn’t for him. The brand of football, the intensity of our play, totally suited over the course of a 38 game Premier League season in this modern era to maximise a below average squad to perform above their station.

Not playing the U23s when we have injuries? That’s because, new contracts or not, Ralph knows their crap. He knows it, deep down all the fans know it despite being desperate enough to use it as a stick to beat him with - they can’t be trusted as the United game showed.

Not surprised there hasn’t been a post in this thread since Saturday, we beat bottom of the league after all! Fickle, indeed.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, JibMcdo said:

I avoid the forum when we are on a losing run, just to avoid the absolute shite posted on the last few pages of this thread.

Ralph is the best asset this club has and the form we showed in 2020 with this group of players was miraculous. We’d be in the Championship right now if it wasn’t for him. The brand of football, the intensity of our play, totally suited over the course of a 38 game Premier League season in this modern era to maximise a below average squad to perform above their station.

Not playing the U23s when we have injuries? That’s because, new contracts or not, Ralph knows their crap. He knows it, deep down all the fans know it despite being desperate enough to use it as a stick to beat him with - they can’t be trusted as the United game showed.

Not surprised there hasn’t been a post in this thread since Saturday, we beat bottom of the league after all! Fickle, indeed.

We're not in the Championship thanks to Mark Hughes.

Hasenhüttl was fully aware of the situation when he came here and also when he signed an extension to his contract so to imply that he is a great manager dealt a rotten hand by the club is just fantasy. 

He is being judged on his merits; if you think that a 33% win ratio this season is a satisfactory metric then nobody will ever change your thinking but don't slag off people who have a different view and who expected and demand more.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, JibMcdo said:

11th isn’t “miraculous”, and Mark Hughes managed to keep a similar group of players up.

Picking a run of games where a side win them all as proof of managerial greatness, is as stupid as picking a run of defeats as a sign of them being useless. Managers should be judged over a whole season, so Ralph should be judged on last season and then on this season. 

13 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

11th isn’t “miraculous”, and Mark Hughes managed to keep a similar group of players up.

Picking a run of games where a side win them all as proof of managerial greatness, is as stupid as picking a run of defeats as a sign of them being useless. Managers should be judged over a whole season, so Ralph should be judged on last season and then on this season. 

Hum isn’t that what the poster is saying?

You don’t sack the manager based on 12 games and completely neglect beforehand what happened in the first half of the season.

If you read back to previous that s what clueless fickle spectators were basically saying —> sack the manager.

And surprise surprise we win a game and they shut their fucking mouths but they ll probably be back when we lose our next one.

• Like 2
  • Confused 3

23 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

Let's not kid ourselves that Mark Hughes contributed much towards keeping us up. It was largely due to Swansea's ineptitude.

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, Teddeer said:

Let's not kid ourselves that Mark Hughes contributed much towards keeping us up. It was largely due to Swansea's ineptitude.

Well he contributed to us not imploding, he put the points on the board that is typically enough to stay up, and we stayed up. Getting to the last day of the season already safe was a decent result from what he inherited.

Edited by CB Fry
  • Like 1

Also worth saying that part of the Swansea relegation,which apparently we had nothing to do with, involved Mark Hughes Southampton going to their place and beating them.

If Hasenhuttl had done that it would be being described as a miracle delivered by a genius.

Edited by CB Fry

The weirdest thing about Hughes' time was that he did a decent job to keep us up then abandoned the approach that was working (5 at the back) and sold/dropped players who had been crucial (Tadic/Bednarek) the following season.

Tadic was brilliant in that relegation scrap.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, stevy777_x said:

Hum isn’t that what the poster is saying?

You don’t sack the manager based on 12 games and completely neglect beforehand what happened in the first half of the season.

If you read back to previous that s what clueless fickle spectators were basically saying —> sack the manager.

And surprise surprise we win a game and they shut their fucking mouths but they ll probably be back when we lose our next one.

You don’t sack the manager based on 12 games, but you can describe his achievements as “miraculous” based on half a season. 

The people wanting him sacked are pathetic, just as pathetic as the Ralph fans boys wetting their knickers over being top for one day, having a decent second half of last season, and beating Liverpool and crying about it afterwards (something some of us thought was embarrassing at the time, and in light of recent Liverpool results looks even more embarrassing  now). 

You talk about “fickle” I’ve said all along I’ll judge him at the end of this season, but if he loses in the quarter final, nobody should be in any doubt that he will have delivered 2 distinctly average seasons. 

Hughes absolutely deserves credit for keeping us up, we were a mess when he turned up after the disaster that was Pellegrino. Yes Swansea's implosion contributed but as said above, we went to their place and won in nerve shredding circumstances. Let's not forget the way he marched them off the team bus and walked to the stadium when they were trying to delay us and play mind games. We won the day and subsequently deserved to stay up.

Unfortunately for Hughes he was unable to progress us from there and signs were that he may have taken us down the next season. Ralph has improved us overall, albeit with plenty of bumps along the way and we are better now than when he arrived as evidenced by finishing mid table last season and likely similar this season. He is a good manager for a club like ours and with a bit more help in the transfer market would have us challenging the top 8 imo.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

You don’t sack the manager based on 12 games, but you can describe his achievements as “miraculous” based on half a season. 

The people wanting him sacked are pathetic, just as pathetic as the Ralph fans boys wetting their knickers over being top for one day, having a decent second half of last season, and beating Liverpool and crying about it afterwards (something some of us thought was embarrassing at the time, and in light of recent Liverpool results looks even more embarrassing  now). 

You talk about “fickle” I’ve said all along I’ll judge him at the end of this season, but if he loses in the quarter final, nobody should be in any doubt that he will have delivered 2 distinctly average seasons. 

2 Distinctly average seasons in which we lost 9-0 twice.

However win a the cup and he will be only our 3rd manager in 136 years to win a trophy which, after all is what football is about.

Fine margins.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Teddeer said:

Like when Saints stay up this season it will be down to Sheffield United's , West Brom's and one others ineptitude then....

Mark Hughes did a great job of keeping us up - we even went to Swansea and got the result we needed . 

As some else pointed out, for whatever reason he changed tactics the beginning of the next season and Saints struggled.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, IFHP said:

Like when Saints stay up this season it will be down to Sheffield United's , West Brom's and one others ineptitude then....

Mark Hughes did a great job of keeping us up - we even went to Swansea and got the result we needed . 

As some else pointed out, for whatever reason he changed tactics the beginning of the next season and Saints struggled.

Hughes managed 8 points in our final 8 games of that season. In the previous 8 games we also amassed 8 points so I'd hardly describe that as 'doing a great job.' He basically maintained the status quo at the time of his appointment.

• Sad 2

• Lighthouse changed the title to Ralph Hasenhuttl