Summer 2020 transfer business

Batman

8 hours ago, Gordon Mockles said:

We should loan Leeds Che for the season or half a season. Che gets some good training and coaching & perhaps boosts his self confidence from a brilliant manager then we get him back at the end of the season (or Christmas). Meanwhile, we bring in a suitable foil/partner or backup in case Ings gets injured. 

I like Shane Long but he’s not a prolific goalscorer and I wouldn’t feel confident of goals with Obafemi & Long starting. We do need another striker to support Ings. We leave  ourselves vulnerable otherwise. I can’t see Carillio being that man but who knows. 

I’m happy with our seemingly wise defensive maintenance we seem to be quietly orchestrating. Much needed. 

I’m most excited about getting Harrison Reed back and seeing how he does under Ralph’s tutelage. I’m unsure if Harrison will be seen as a direct replacement for Højbjerg or whether we will purchase another central midfielder. 

Aside from the obvious defensive transfers, the best signing we can make for the team would be a player like Lemina. That debacle is such a shame as he is absolute quality and exactly what would drive our squad to that next level. I wish he wasn’t mental. 🤪 

I hope we can sell or loan out Gunn. I’d like to see how Forster manages under Ralph. Sell on Vestergaard. 

Sorry, don't see it at all.

I'd reserve 'absolute quality' for someone who can produce more consistently than 1-2 games a season. 

There's no doubts that Lemina is technically gifted and has great attributes.

The problem is that he has very, very poor application to the course and mentally isn't there as a football player at the top level. That won't ever change, so we need to cut our losses this summer and see if there's a manager out there who just looks at his ability - we may get a decent amount of $ then.

He's dropped out of the team at every club he's played at.

56 minutes ago, saint lard said:

Rumour that a unamed Belgian side is about to sign Hoedt,Not Antwerp however  

https://tbrfootball.com/report-wesley-hoedt-to-leave-southampton-permanently-this-week-5-9-million-fee/

Would be nice for the club to not only get rid of one of these players but actually get a little bit of money for him.  

It's not a nice situation for either the player or the club, so sure both parties would like to get it done despite him being a total twat.

12 minutes ago, adriansfc said:

Is there where we all get excited about Salisu as we did with Hoedt and Vestergaard as they were big signings?

Haven't seen him. But I feel far more positive knowing it's Ralph wanting these players than Puel, Pellegrino, Hughes or some random scout. 

Hope Cavani to Leeds happens, that feels proper 90s. I'd love us to mix it up a bit with just one experienced big name but it won't happen will it. Even if the wages weren't impossible, we seem set on developing young players. And I agree with the strategy, I just don't think it needs to apply to the entire squad. 

We have a big name, Who is a striker.. At his prime age... Banging them in....

25 minutes ago, skintsaint said:
  • Still would be nice for Saints to get a marquee signing.....Silva out of contract! give him a bumper one year deal! not sure he is suited to our pressing game though 😆

Hear this phrase every window but what is a "marquee signing"?

Presumably a player that everyone has heard of and gets excited about like Gaston Ramirez or Dani Osvaldo, possibly Boufal as well.

I would suggest most of Saints' best recent signings have been players that few have known well beforehand. Tadic, Mane, Pelle, Bednarek all spring to mind.

Probably our most established recent signing would be Ings, who has clearly worked out well, but its not what Saints need. 

Either way, its a stupid phrase that should be left for Tony the cabbie from Romford to use whilst calling talkSPORT to ask Ray Parlour why West Ham haven't made one.

6 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

I fully expect Boufal to go, so yes....I'd certainly look at singing another wide player, or inside forward type. Don't have much competition in that area apart from Redmond and Moussa.

Boufal’s reps aren’t normally quiet about interest in a move, though.

We shall see.

Hard to see where we might generate extra funds for an attacker. 

7 hours ago, Harry_SFC said:

A £9 million loss is better than £15 million I suppose.. 

Wont be a loss in the accounts though. Signed for £15M on a five year deal back in 2017. So 3/5 of the way through the contract would likely mean 9M of the transfer has been processed through the accounts leaving just £6M to go, which is roughly what the articles are saying we will sell for.

6 minutes ago, SuperSAINT said:

See his goal? Fantastic.

West Ham & palace watching him.

Heard a bit of hype but only seem clips etc but watching tonight's game

He looks the business. Awesome goal too.... potential big future there

20 minutes ago, Teddeer said:

Said last week we should be looking at Eze. Think West Ham and Palace are interested so hope we are just keeping our powder dry.

Yeah, we were linked last August, but nothing since.  Don't see the budget stretching that far.

If we sign any attackers it will surely be a cheapo replacement for Boufal (who will surely leave) but clearly our budget should be spent on RB, CB and CM (assuming Vokins has nailed the backup role at LB).

Sims isn't good enough. Probably a good career waiting in the MLs if he wants it, or Championship/L1 here.

Re Lallana reports - pretty much goes against all our transfer principles - file as a load of rubbish.

Edited by Dusic

2 minutes ago, Dusic said:

Sims isn't good enough. Probably a good career waiting in the MLs if he wants it, or Championship/L1 here.

Always seemed to get injured when he had a chance. 

I remember at one point he was an absolute cut above the U23's, assisting 4 goals in one game.

Just seemed to fizzle out a bit, which is a shame.

Sims has made some good impacts from the bench (Spurs in the league and Liverpool in the cup), but he was given a chance to start in the team last season and I believe he was subbed off at half time after struggling. He's 23 now, time to move on.

16 hours ago, ErwinK1961 said:

Sorry, don't see it at all.

I'd reserve 'absolute quality' for someone who can produce more consistently than 1-2 games a season. 

He is undoubtedly a player of quality as Danny Murphy & other pundits illustrated at the start of the season. Even in a lack lustre cold and hailing home game which we lost to Liverpool a season or 2 back, the squad were not interested but he led my example and was the stand out, committed player. 

Somewhere along the way, under the poor, previous managers or Les, he and the club fell out. We may never know why. Lemina seemed to want to do the stepping stone to a high earning club thing without achieving the “in between” bit of actually playing and performing consistently at the club he was contracted to but our club was in turmoil at the time and he has an abdominal injury I believe. 

What happened after that was farcical and I don’t know if it was Lemina, Les, or a bit of both but the mentality of the player and his relationship with the club descended into chaos.

He may be a player that is nuts and may never have the right temperament (a la Osvaldo) but we can’t  deny that on his day, ignoring any off field antics, he’s exactly the style of midfielder we are crying out for. Urgent. Skillfull. Creative.  He can lead and Marshall the midfield and link defence to attack. He would be the lynch pin of a quality midfield. 

As it turned out, he didn’t have his head in the real world but we can’t also rule out Les (allegedly) sabotaging the head of another PL played by his ultimatum and unreasonable demand approach that worked so well with the Koemans or even his ability to alienate Gerrard in his FA says. Les had a bullying habit of going back on his word and destroying the focus of many a player, likely masked by NDAs. I‘m sure that is why Morgan’s patience run out when he turned to Twitter for an outburst (so many years ruined in an afternoon or something to that affect). 

As I said, seemingly taken out of context, Lemina would be ideal if he wasn’t mental. He had more than two good games and when he’s on form, he was one of the best players in the squad. Seems he may not have the aptitude or mentality to galvanise his obvious talent. A sad symptom of the broken players of the football world, polluted by the money and lifestyle. A la Clyne, etc.  

Don’t let the press debacle take away the fact, he would he the exact type of player to push us to the next level. The press have made many a player look an idiot. Fairly and unfairly. Don’t believe all the club, heavily driven, social engineering. He is a player of talent. 

17 hours ago, Give it to Ron said:

Sorry I don’t understand why do that, you are saying that Bielsa would teach more than Ralph? It hasn’t done much for Bamford according to my mate Bamford can’t hit cows arse.

Che has broken through here now so why ruin that and any belief spirit bonding he has achieved It sends wrong signal to Che you are not good enough in the Prem for us but ok for Leeds who are rumoured in for Cavani anyway.

You may be right. He seems to be improving. But I also think we need a more consistent striker as back up to Ings. Obafemi and Che are not to be relied on for 10-15 goals a season as the stats illustrate. What I am suggesting is that one of them goes on loan and one is replaced by a reliable goal scorer. 

If Ings got injured, would you be happy going into a new season with you throng of attacking options as Shane Long, Che Adams or Obafemi? I personally don’t see many goals in those three but they would do better alongside an experienced frontman who can hold the ball up and bring them into play and pass as accurately as Ings. Danny’s interlinking play and some of his assists & passes this last month or two has been exceptional. We rely on him too much though which is a mistake. It leaves us vulnerable. 

11 hours ago, Dusic said:

Hear this phrase every window but what is a "marquee signing"?

Thought it was pretty obvious, but anyway here is a wiki explanation for you https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marquee_player

I realise its not our business plan to buy them, but would be nice to have a top class player in our 11, even if slightly on the decline. Worked well for us in 83/84..good combination of youth and experience. 

Anyway, back to reality Rashica who was linked with us before is now lined up as Sancho replacement at Dortmund :  https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2020/07/22/manchester-uniteds-hopes-signing-jadon-sancho-boosted-dortmund/

3 hours ago, Gordon Mockles said:

You may be right. He seems to be improving. But I also think we need a more consistent striker as back up to Ings. Obafemi and Che are not to be relied on for 10-15 goals a season as the stats illustrate. What I am suggesting is that one of them goes on loan and one is replaced by a reliable goal scorer. 

If Ings got injured, would you be happy going into a new season with you throng of attacking options as Shane Long, Che Adams or Obafemi? I personally don’t see many goals in those three but they would do better alongside an experienced frontman who can hold the ball up and bring them into play and pass as accurately as Ings. Danny’s interlinking play and some of his assists & passes this last month or two has been exceptional. We rely on him too much though which is a mistake. It leaves us vulnerable. 

Ings has had the season of his life and has 21 goals. Tammy Abraham has been up front for chelsea and has 15 goals. We aren’t getting a 15 goal striker - they would cost about £50m. 

unless you take a risk on a player - like Ings or Che and it works out.  If you are asking the club to take a gamble on a £20m player who turns out to be a £50m player, then I think we’d all love that - but that’s obviously quite hard to do?

7 hours ago, Matthew Le God said:

I’d take lallana back to be honest, he still looks at a high level the times I’ve seen him this season and is a lot more creative and has a better football brain then Redmond.

cant see it happening but would be all for it 

4 hours ago, Gordon Mockles said:

Where do we find one in our budget? 
Every club wants a 15 goal a season striker we can’t pay what other clubs do £45m Haller!!

Until we are rid of Wilson/Reed debacle signings we won’t be signing a 5th forward or loaning out Oba/Che.

We signed a 15 goal a season striker: he's called Danny Ings.

He's had a phenomenal season of course but if he genuinely was a 20+ a season sure thing then Liverpool wouldn't have sold him.

The idea that we are going to go out and splurge on another one, just as back up is absolute pie in the sky for a club our size.

What we will need if Ings is crocked is the others to step up. And we might see Obefemi or Adams turn into 10 a season men.

And if we ship out either of them, the replacement will be a striker of a similar status/cost/risk. Remember, a lot were quite excited about Adams this time last year.