• Stuart Armstrong
    • Nathan Redmond
    • Che Adams
    • Danny Ings
    • Shane Long
    • Will Smallbone
    • Michael Obafemi

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 16/07/20 at 22:00

Ole being complimentary on Sky and making no excuses - fair play.

loving this Saints side since the break, we look so fit, like the Strachan and Poch teams of past. Literally 2 or 3 shrewd signings from finally having a decent season I’d say.

Only negatives, KWP had a bit of a bad opening third but regained composure later on, and thought Adams had a really poor game, so many times he lacked the vision to play Danny in. Fluked goal against City aside I really don’t see a Premier League player in him still.

Let’s go for the full 9 points now lads!!

We deserved that point. Saints worked really hard and showed a lot of crisp, quick passing.

Nice to see us get something, after the usual gushing adulation of the commentator for Man U--when they had their purple match in the first half.

Pogba was mediocre today--good to see him robbed twice by Saints' high pressing.

Saints have been one of the best teams since the restart. Hope to see at least seven points from the last three games!

Very satisfying. Injury time goals at OT aren't exactly rare, but to get one as an away team is very, very sweet! And how great that we're showing intent and not limping to the end of the season. 

Bertrand superb today. Utd got nothing down their right. I know he can divide opinions sometimes, but he's such a consistent performer and we've been very lucky to have a player of his quality for so long.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, CWD said:

Very satisfying. Injury time goals at OT aren't exactly rare, but to get one as an away team is very, very sweet! And how great that we're showing intent and not limping to the end of the season. 

Bertrand superb today. Utd got nothing down their right. I know he can divide opinions sometimes, but he's such a consistent performer and we've been very lucky to have a player of his quality for so long.

Bertrand is getting back to his best ....fantastic player he has been for us.

• Like 2

I do care about the result but at times in the last three games I have said it don’t care what happens, watching this team play gives me so much hope for next season. Two Ralph additions and Djenepo fit, looking forward to what that team can do.

4 minutes ago, gammon cheeks said:

Bertrand is getting back to his best ....fantastic player he has been for us.

he really is a top class fullback. No idea why someone didn't buy him from us or why he didn't get more England caps. Makes it look easy. 

3 minutes ago, Colinjb said:

We were rather good. 

Still don't know how to feel about that. It's just so..... strange.

Agreed. I'm so used to the lethargic, boring dirge we've served up for a couple of years now. It's strange to see us playing it around with purpose and showing so much fight. 

Have to say I have been very impressed with Romeu over the last few weeks. His form has dipped a few times over the years, but he's a far better player than PEH. He may have lost a yard since he first came here, but he still manages to drift past players with great body positions and timing of when to release. He's never been Morgan in his prime, but he does a decent impersonation. If we are buying someone to replace PEH I hope we look for someone with similar qualities to Romeu. You have to have ability with the ball not just run around a lot. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, hypochondriac said:

Agreed. I'm so used to the lethargic, boring dirge we've served up for a couple of years now. It's strange to see us playing it around with purpose and showing so much fight. 

It doesn't feel like that long ago for me that Koeman left. Its been a long time really but it still only feels like a blip. 

1 minute ago, Saint_clark said:

It doesn't feel like that long ago for me that Koeman left. Its been a long time really but it still only feels like a blip. 

It's just so nice to know that some players still possess that ability. Romeu for example has been superb since the restart (if we ignore the challenge from today). He hasn't performed consistently well for ages. 

8 minutes ago, Colinjb said:

We were rather good. 

Still don't know how to feel about that. It's just so..... strange.

we're not great, but we're not too bad either. The attitude and application has bene outstanding after the shutdown. Extremely professional. I hope we can keep the momentum for next season. It's been the best period to watch Saints since Koeman left.

Edited by Chez
  • Like 1

We are such a great watch at the moment, it's the hunger and determination that I love to see. Never giving up, we're like a load of Jack Russell's nipping at the ankles of the opponents - all game long.

Our fitness is at a level I don't believe it's been at for years, but the main thing for me now - and probably since Christmas time, is that we have a clear identity. We lost our way with Hughes, Pelligrino, Puel - we didn't seem to know what we wanted to be. Defensive? Tiki Taka? Our recruitment was confused because of this as well, and we ended up trying to be too clever and buying players like Hoedt and Lemina, Boufal etc because they can 'pass the ball'.

But for the first time since Poch and Koeman we have an identity to our play, you know what you'll get when you see us - we press, we harry, we dis-posses - but we do it with quality, we're very good on the ball when we have it, very agile and nimble with our movements. The fact we have an identity and a clear pattern to our play will make it so much easier to recruit - you know exactly the sorts of players you need.

It's just refreshing to watch a team play with some professionalism even though there's little to play for. Romeu has been awesome, but Jan Bednerak for me is like a colossus back there - everything sticks to him, he's being brave to win the ball back and playing sensible passes with it - he's been unreal, developed at an alarming rate in the last few months. Got to tie him down, big clubs will be sniffing soon.

Onto Brighton, I think we'll need to shake it up a bit because we will be tired - not much time between Thursday and Sunday either, so this is going to put our fitness to test.

7 minutes ago, Chez said:

we're not great, but we're not too bad either. The attitude and application has bene outstanding after the shutdown. Extremely professional. I hope we can keep the momentum for next season. It's been the best period to watch Saints since Koeman left.

I agree. 2 more points and we'll have the most we've finished with since 2015/16. The team is also playing our best football since Koeman left.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

We are such a great watch at the moment, it's the hunger and determination that I love to see. Never giving up, we're like a load of Jack Russell's nipping at the ankles of the opponents - all game long.

That is essentially a description of Harrison Reed. He may be very suited to what Hasenhuttl wants.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Matthew Le God said:

That is essentially a description of Harrison Reed. He may be very suited to what Hasenhuttl wants.

Yeah, this is what is making me seriously think that the club may ditch PEH and just replace him with Reed. Then use the money elsewhere in the squad.

The only worry with Reed is that he seems susceptible to injuries.

Let's see what happens.

Edited by S-Clarke

Absolutely superb result! We deserved the draw and nice to get one off a set piece :) Happy for Obafemi to get the leveller :) like somebody said above both Romeu and Bertrand superb. I gave Armstrong my MOTM, he just oozes class and a great goal to cap it off! :)

Edited by davefizzy14
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Yeah, this is what is making me seriously think that the club may ditch PEH and just replace him with Reed. Then use the money elsewhere in the squad.

The only worry with Reed is that he seems susceptible to injuries.

Let's see what happens.

Some said that about Ings

3 minutes ago, saint lard said:

May have already been said,but tonight’s equaliser was the latest goal ever scored at Old Trafford in the premier league by an away side. 
we just keep breaking records.  

Chuck it on the pile. There's a whole thread for them somewhere lol.

1 hour ago, Killers Knee said:

After shipping injury time goals to United for so many years, its great to get one back.  We have a very special team in the making.

A point acknowledged by OGS. When the Sky interviewer tried to make a big issue out the added time goal he responded"We have done it to others. It is part of football" Actually I thought that his interview was class and acknowledged the quality of our team".

The lads put in a great shift again tonight and got a well deserved point against an in form team. Biggest compliment I can pay Ralph and the coaching/fitness staff is that we are now playing as well as we did at our best under Pochettino. I really enjoyed taking points off Utd and their forum has gone into melt down - some of them are calling us every kind of cheats in the world just because we dared score a late goal and take a fully justified point at their place. After their recent performances I think they thought they just had to turn up and blow us away. Some idiots are even criticising Ralph for celebrating our equalising goal. To be fair some do give us credit and Ole GS was very magnanimous in giving us some plaudits. 

54 minutes ago, doc oli said:

Remarkably similar to the goal that OGS once scored for united to win them the CL- now means they may not be in it. Ha. 

I thought that too. It won't quite earn Obafemi the same cult status  as OGS but great to get a goal against United in Fergie time. It goes to show the great spirit instilled in this team by Ralph.    

12 minutes ago, saint lard said:

May have already been said,but tonight’s equaliser was the latest goal ever scored at Old Trafford in the premier league by an away side. 
we just keep breaking records.  

Did you see their phenomenal record of not dropping points at Old Trafford when they have the lead at half-time? Their players must have been absolutely amazed to see an away team grab a late draw. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Teddeer said:

The lads put in a great shift again tonight and got a well deserved point against an in form team. Biggest compliment I can pay Ralph and the coaching/fitness staff is that we are now playing as well as we did at our best under Pochettino. I really enjoyed taking points off Utd and their forum has gone into melt down - some of them are calling us every kind of cheats in the world just because we dared score a late goal and take a fully justified point at their place. After their recent performances I think they thought they just had to turn up and blow us away. Some idiots are even criticising Ralph for celebrating our equalising goal. To be fair some do give us credit and Ole GS was very magnanimous in giving us some plaudits. 

The proper Man U supporters will acknowledge our performance. The plastic's opinions aren'n't worth listening to

47 minutes ago, Chez said:

All I ever wanted was us to show application and effort. I'll happily take wherever we end up as long as we play with the heart, desire and fitness levels we have shown since the restart. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Sarnia Cherie said:

Saints really deserved their point. I hope Obafemi gets more play time. I would prefer to see him in the starting line-up instead of Che Adams, who was a weak link tonight.

Chelsea away aside, Obafemi has not taken many of his opportunities when starting. Good to see him get a goal off the bench though and keeps the competition among the strikers. Still see Ings and Adams as the partnership with the most potential going forward. My opinion just

Been saying it the past few years that hard work makes up for the lack of talent at this level, as we saw under Pochettino, but it just wasn't there under Puel, Pellegrino, or Hughes. Now Hassenhuttl has seemingly got them putting in 100% every match, even when the team doesn't have anything to play for apart from the placings prize money. Shows just how important a manager's ethos is. We now need to push on from here into next season, I'd hate to see us rest on our laurels, or go backwards again as we seem to be in a really good place.

1 hour ago, Chez said:

Have to say I have been very impressed with Romeu over the last few weeks. His form has dipped a few times over the years, but he's a far better player than PEH. He may have lost a yard since he first came here, but he still manages to drift past players with great body positions and timing of when to release. He's never been Morgan in his prime, but he does a decent impersonation. If we are buying someone to replace PEH I hope we look for someone with similar qualities to Romeu. You have to have ability with the ball not just run around a lot. 

I agree - I think he gets a rough ride on here. He was absolutely superb under Puel, and has rarely let us down in his time here. Think his tendency for a yellow card maybe distracts people from his technical ability, he’s a very nice footballer. I love him and to think we only paid £5mil for him, £7mil for Armstrong, £5mil for Bednarek - just shows there are still gems around!

Edited by saintwbu

2 minutes ago, Danbert said:

To me, Walker Peters was at fault for both United goals. Am I being harsh?

Stephens for the first I'd say, he was too weak against Martial. (and the sloppiness in the build up).

2nd goal though, definitely. Was dreadful defending.

1 minute ago, saintwbu said:

I agree - I think he gets a rough ride on here. He was absolutely superb under Puel, and has rarely let us down in his time here. Think his tendency for a yellow card maybe distracts people from his technical ability, he’s a very nice footballer. I love him and to think we only paid £5mil for him, £7mil for Armstrong, £5mil for Bednarek - just shows there are still gems around!

All three were Ross Wilson/Les Reed signings. Odd they don't get credit for those...! 😉😃

It really is a pleasure watching the lads at the minute. Another outstanding performance and I'm feeling hugely positive about things right now. 

Cannot understate how well Ralph has done; he is one of the top coaches in the league. As the season winds down, I really hope the board don't rest on their laurels. If they back him and give him some cash to spend on a proven CB, we could be in for a very fun year next year. I know there will be bigger clubs in for him and he will cost £30m, but I'd love us to go all in for Ake as our record signing. A proven CB who leads and organises. Just adding him and possibly KWP on a permanent deal would make a huge difference to this team. Please - no more £15m projects from Europe. 

3 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Stephens for the first I'd say, he was too weak against Martial. (and the sloppiness in the build up).

2nd goal though, definitely. Was dreadful defending.

i agree with this, stephens doesnt deal with martial and i can see why walker-peters gets sucked in - if martial turns on to his left to hit it is a great block - as it was he got caught out - not a terrible error on his part i think as was responding to the immediate danger i think.

1 hour ago, CWD said:

But he doesn't smile much and phones in his performances...

Yeah right. Consummate professional on the pitch and has been frustrated when previous managers/tactics haven't been up to snuff. As have many of us.

We've been seriously lucky to have somebody of his standard 'phoning it in' for so long.

• Like 1