Jump to content

Ryan Bertrand - Official: Leaving in Summer


Recommended Posts

Mentioned in an interview with Ralph here: https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11700/12029069/ralph-hasenhuttl-southampton-boss-fears-best-players-could-leave-this-summer

Didn't realise his contract was up at the end of next season, would absolutely try and tie him down to another few years.  The guy is a class act, and Leicester game apart, he's been great this season IMO.

Since the break, he's been excellent, and a really important player in our system.

Link to post
Share on other sites

We also have Romeu & Boufal on their last year of the contract. Romeu has his limitations but is a solid performer and with Hojberg going I'm sure that they'd like to keep him for continuity. Boufal has had his moments but unfortunately those are too infrequent and it would be great to get some cash in to spend elsewhere in the team. 

But the question does arise is what would we do if Romeu turns down an extension - try and sell him now to get some cash ?   What happens if Boufal decides to sit out the last 12 months of his contract and leave for nothing in 12 months ?   

Romeu was linked to a return to Spain in January but nothing since. If Hojberg had stayed I wouldn't have been surprised if Romeu would have left this summer, but can't believe that they'd allow two such established players in the same position to leave at the same time.   Hopefully both Romeu and Bertrand will suddenly appear on the Saints web site with a pen in their hand signing a new contract in the next month. 

No rumours at all about Boufal which surprises me when we must be actively trying to sell him. I did speculate on whether he has already found somewhere and that his injury is an "injury" but maybe that is just wishful thinking ... 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 16/07/2020 at 16:52, Saint Garrett said:

Mentioned in an interview with Ralph here: https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11700/12029069/ralph-hasenhuttl-southampton-boss-fears-best-players-could-leave-this-summer

Didn't realise his contract was up at the end of next season, would absolutely try and tie him down to another few years.  The guy is a class act, and Leicester game apart, he's been great this season IMO.

Since the break, he's been excellent, and a really important player in our system.

Despite his age now, how much would we have to spend to buy someone as good and who can instantly adapt/fit in to our way of playing?.

Should be out top priority (what's left of) this summer.

Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

Last chance to get a big pay day for him in fairness. £25million I reckon, more if it's Leicester rich off the back of selling Chilwell. 

We’re not going to get 25 million for a 31 year old left back. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Think he's one of those players who could play until they're 33/34.  Deserves a new contract for me, assuming he wants to stay.  Seems to have business plans for when he retires, so possibly that will drive his decision.

Would not surprise me if one of the big boys came in for him as a backup english quota.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Saint Garrett said:

Think he's one of those players who could play until they're 33/34.  Deserves a new contract for me, assuming he wants to stay.  Seems to have business plans for when he retires, so possibly that will drive his decision.

Would not surprise me if one of the big boys came in for him as a backup english quota.

Agreed I'd say he has another 3 year contract in him. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

We should try hard to keep him for at least one extra year. Just posted on the Bompey reaction thread about how good he's been for us. Really p*sses me off when people say 'yeah, but he doesn't smile'... best left back we've had since Bale, still better than Shaw IMO.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Absolutely we must not let him go, he's almost half our team in creativity alone. Very clever player. Surely if Long is worth an extension then Bertie has to be worth a solid new contract.

I would tear my hair out if he ends up in the Blue shirt of Everton or Leicester. Somehow this seems unlikely, he has serious business interests in the Home Counties and probably it suits him nicely to play here but if a big London club like Arsenal or Tottenham come calling then he probably would leave for a last hurrah while still being within each of his Surrey home.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I was always half expecting Betrand to go  in previous seasons - as he was as good in his role as many of the others that left for 'bigger things' .  Would hope the club and he could reach an agreement to keep him here beyond the end of his current contract.  His experience at the back, and his partnership with Redmond on the left are both key assets to this team.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, LeG said:

Bert is a nightmare to have around when we have poor managers. He has no time for that at all and influences the changing room. When we have a good manager, he is a dream and buys into the project. This is why rumours of a bad attitude are both true and false...all depends on the situation. He is a good guy though. A great left back and has a life outside of football. Hope he signs for another 2 years. Pretty confident he will.

Surely he gets as frustrated as us then? Esp. if he'd been around under Ronald before, and then all of a sudden in come Puel, Pelligrino, Hughes. Great.

Probably took a while for him to buy into Ralph after so many poor appointments previous. I can probably relate to his pain to be honest, I can't imagine many players would want to play under the 3 above. I certainly didn't want my team managed by any of them.

Link to post
Share on other sites

One of our best signings ever in the Liebherr era in my opinion. £12million for 6 years of his prime, at his best i’d say England’s best left back (why they always picked Rose was beyond me) and now i’d still put him top 5 or 6 in the league. Will be very sad when he either leaves, or hangs up the boots. Can’t tell you how underwhelmed I was when he was replacing Shaw, I started to wonder if we really were having a fire sale to balance the books and replacing with cheap options. How wrong I was! Probably my favourite Saints player now.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

Songs for black players are rare at St Mary's...! 

Which black Saints players have had songs? 🤔 

Going back, Reuben Agboola for one.

Also Jon Viafara.

More recently Wanyama, and Redmond.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, LeG said:

Bert is a nightmare to have around when we have poor managers. He has no time for that at all and influences the changing room. When we have a good manager, he is a dream and buys into the project. This is why rumours of a bad attitude are both true and false...all depends on the situation. He is a good guy though. A great left back and has a life outside of football. Hope he signs for another 2 years. Pretty confident he will.

This is 100% accurate. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

Not an extensive list then.

you can also add (off the top of my head) mane, stern John, Guly, papa wagio, Bradley Wright-Phillips + many more. 
 

Their songs weren’t any good, but Says more about our fan bass being unoriginal, and pretty poor, rather than racist. You clown. 
 

It’s not true, and you’re not playing devils advocate. You’re being a weird pedantic fool, as per (and wrong, as per). 

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

Not an extensive list then.

They're the ones off the top of my head. 

Many white players over the years haven't had "songs" , did Jack Cork for instance, or Fraser Richardson, or Danny Butterfield ?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Not to mention Djenepo hahahahaha, who’s literally played like 10 games, also gets his name sung whenever he’s on the pitch. 

We don’t have songs for McCarthy, Stephens, Bednarek, Armstrong, Smallbone, Vokins as far as i’m aware. Grrrr, bloody racists.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, LeG said:

Bert is a nightmare to have around when we have poor managers. He has no time for that at all and influences the changing room. When we have a good manager, he is a dream and buys into the project. This is why rumours of a bad attitude are both true and false...all depends on the situation. He is a good guy though. A great left back and has a life outside of football. Hope he signs for another 2 years. Pretty confident he will.

Sounds like most bright, reasonably experienced employees in organisations when they can see through blatant BSers eg Les, Pellegrino and probably Ross Wilson. I got the impression he liked Ronald and enjoying Ralph. I don’t think Puel was his cup of tea football wise but did seem to play OK mostly for Claude. You could see a real deterioration in Berty’s game after that. I wasn’t a Puel fan but he did improve some players. All I saw under Pellegrino and Hughes was players going rapidly backwards. Hughes knew his stuff but after keeping us up the fire seemed to go out again. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

Surely he gets as frustrated as us then? Esp. if he'd been around under Ronald before, and then all of a sudden in come Puel, Pelligrino, Hughes. Great.

Probably took a while for him to buy into Ralph after so many poor appointments previous. I can probably relate to his pain to be honest, I can't imagine many players would want to play under the 3 above. I certainly didn't want my team managed by any of them.

My Dad was invited to one of these Q and A sessions for local businesses at the back end of last season, and Ralph and RB were on the panel.

He said Bertrand seemed nervous to start with (understandable as it was bunch of old guys in suits staring at him) but eventually spoke well, seemed intelligent and most importantly what came across was his huge amount of respect for Ralph and his methods.

He also put that post on Instagram when RH first joined didn't he? Think he was injured but said something like "finally a clear game plan". You can see that as disruptive if you want but I reckon 99% of fans felt the same!

I've always been a big admirer and defender of Ryan and think he's consistently been up there as one of our best players over the time he's been here. being made Captain didn't do him any favours, he's not a overtly passionate bloke, and I'm glad that burden was lifted. Really, really hope he stays.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, saintwbu said:

Not to mention Djenepo hahahahaha, who’s literally played like 10 games, also gets his name sung whenever he’s on the pitch. 

We don’t have songs for McCarthy, Stephens, Bednarek, Armstrong, Smallbone, Vokins as far as i’m aware. Grrrr, bloody racists.

What's the Djenepo chant? Been so long since I've seen him play...

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Badger said:

Just that we only got to sing it about twice..

no idea what it was though.

Delgado whoahh oh oh, Delgado whoahh oh oh, he comes from Ecuador, he's gonna score and score.......

 

6 hours ago, Badger said:

Just that we only got to sing it about twice..

no idea what it was though.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Lighthouse changed the title to Ryan Bertrand - Official: Leaving in Summer

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

View Terms of service (Terms of Use) and Privacy Policy (Privacy Policy) and Forum Guidelines ({Guidelines})