1. 1. Rate the Window

• Excellent
    • Very Good
    • Good
    • Average
    • Poor
    • Very Poor
    • Disastrous

Linked with a loan move for Yedlin at Newcastle now. Decent player, out of favour there so would be good cover here.

Vokins and Valery need game time, and as the U23 games are now mostly at weekends, they can't really play in them so end up getting no football.

Signing a FB on loan and then loaning one or both of them out makes a lot of sense.

-----------

Re Theo, Im suprised at the reaction. If we are only paying half his wages then he becomes a good option who can play wide or as a striker. Is only 31, with something to prove and has always been a decent finisher. Its his off the ball work that doesn't appear to suit.

If Redmond, Djenepo, Obafemi, Long, Adams or Walcott were running through 1v1 with the keeper, I would back Walcott to score over the others.

• Like 3

I'm all for the Walcott link. He'd be more reliable than Boufal, plus evens out our cover on the right hand side. Boufal, Redmond & Djenepo all play on the left whereas we only really have Armstrong on the right.

He adds pace (he's still fast!) and will hopefully be revitalised coming back. Overall, he would balance the squad and improve the depth and give us something different. Hope it happens.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dusic said:

Linked with a loan move for Yedlin at Newcastle now. Decent player, out of favour there so would be good cover here.

Vokins and Valery need game time, and as the U23 games are now mostly at weekends, they can't really play in them so end up getting no football.

Signing a FB on loan and then loaning one or both of them out makes a lot of sense.

-----------

Re Theo, Im suprised at the reaction. If we are only paying half his wages then he becomes a good option who can play wide or as a striker. Is only 31, with something to prove and has always been a decent finisher. Its his off the ball work that doesn't appear to suit.

If Redmond, Djenepo, Obafemi, Long, Adams or Walcott were running through 1v1 with the keeper, I would back Walcott to score over the others.

Is only 31, ... and has always been a decent finisher. 🤔

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Dusic said:

-----------

😲

Edited by ErwinK1961

56 minutes ago, ErwinK1961 said:

Rashica would be excellent - rumours end of last week that Leeds and us were the interested prem teams, though note Leeds are signing a winger from Rennes - so would only leave us? 

Though Villa pulled out as he was too expensive (wages)... so not sure how we would afford it? Also, would then loan him out? Surely they'd want a sale.

Rashica off to Leicester apparently - loan to buy.

Whilst Walcott wouldn't be high up on my shortlist, we'd only be contemplating a move for him if Ralph feels that he can fit into his masterplan/strategy. Ergo, if he's good enough for Ralph then that's good enough for me. #logic #pragmatism

Edited by trousers

17 minutes ago, Give it to Ron said:

Wouldn’t be a bad option, and explains the rumours about Valery out of loan to see if he can get himself back in some sort of nick and focus. Can’t be worse than the last full back we loaned from Newcastle 

17 minutes ago, Dusic said:

-----------

The last paragraph is an excellent point, far more clinical than the rest of our squad bar Ings. 

2 hours ago, John Boy Saint said:

Why would we want Walcott - he’s made of glass! 

And at 31 seemingly runs against the grain of our more recent recruitment policy.

Wow just think 2 ...30 yr old  players that will run around a lot.........Long being the other if anyone was interested,and he only gets the last knocking  of a game thankfully now

1 minute ago, DT said:

You've all seen Walcott's 'finishing', right? Right. Amazing. And the legs have gone too. Perhaps he wants to come and learn his trade as a coach.

Bloody hell, there's a lot of bollocks being posted about Theo's finishing on here. Given we have Redmond, Long and Adams, none of whom are what you could call natural finishers, I do think the criticism is a tad ironic and unfair.   

• Like 1

How about pocket a few million for Boufal (who would go for nothing next summer) and rid yourself of his wages. Then use what you would have paid Boufal (say £50k) for the final year to pay for a portion of Walcott's wages. Wait until next summer and use the £5m you would have lost to reinvest in a new player. That would make sense....

2 minutes ago, Sir Ralph said:

How about pocket a few million for Boufal (who would go for nothing next summer) and rid yourself of his wages. Then use what you would have paid Boufal (say £50k) for the final year to pay for a portion of Walcott's wages. Wait until next summer and use the £5m you would have lost to reinvest in a new player. That would make sense....

I’m not sure I follow, who’s paying £5m for Boufal?

1 minute ago, Appy said:

He’s still a better finisher than Long, Adams, Redmond and Obafemi. 

I’m really not sure that’s a great yardstick. Coronavirus is better than AIDS, bubonic plague and a sledgehammer to the face.

2 minutes ago, beatlesaint said:

one less than Redmond and Theo has played half the number of games

That in itself should raise a red flag.

6 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

I’m not sure I follow, who’s paying £5m for Boufal?

I'm assuming an amount - it could be a couple of million, relates to more the principle of a transfer strategy that they could be putting in place. Maybe wrong but it would make some sense

7 minutes ago, beatlesaint said:

one less than Redmond and Theo has played half the number of games

10 minutes ago, beatlesaint said:

Bloody hell, there's a lot of bollocks being posted about Theo's finishing on here. Given we have Redmond, Long and Adams, none of whom are what you could call natural finishers, I do think the criticism is a tad ironic and unfair.   

So as long as we sign someone who is at the same general level of shitness as our current players, it's mission accomplished. Great transfer window.

7 minutes ago, Sir Ralph said:

I'm assuming an amount - it could be a couple of million, relates to more the principle of a transfer strategy that they could be putting in place. Maybe wrong but it would make some sense

It'd be nice but I wouldn't realistically expect a fee for Bouf. It'll either be a loan and he leaves on a Bosman next summer or we mutually agree to terminate his contract now so he can sign for someone else.

6 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

So as long as we sign someone who is at the same general level of shitness as our current players, it's mission accomplished. Great transfer window.

He isn't at the same level. Its about options, we are looking to bring in a loan option. Simple as that

24 minutes ago, DT said:

You've all seen Walcott's 'finishing', right? Right. Amazing. And the legs have gone too. Perhaps he wants to come and learn his trade as a coach.

Screenshot taken 

#happytobewrongbrigade ;)

Edited by trousers

Happy to clear the deadwood from our squad and use some loans to cover the gaps until the takeover goes through.

Some of our youngsters need games not time sitting on the bench so a bit of experience on loan to take their place in the squad while they get games will only benefit us longer term IMO.

4 minutes ago, beatlesaint said:

He isn't at the same level. Its about options, we are looking to bring in a loan option. Simple as that

An option which I am reading on this forum people think is better than Tella and Smallbone and maybe slightly better than our current players on the bench like Long. Not sure we could set the bar much lower for someone coming in on fifty/sixty/seventy grand a week.

Gee, what a fantastic option.

An absolute travesty of a transfer window yet again.

1 minute ago, CB Fry said:

An option which I am reading on this forum people think is better than Tella and Smallbone and maybe slightly better than our current players on the bench like Long. Not sure we could set the bar much lower for someone coming in on fifty/sixty/seventy grand a week.

Gee, what a fantastic option.

An absolute travesty of a transfer window yet again.

A travesty? That's a bit strong. It's football mate not life and death.