Sport Republic

Dusic

I think it’s important to get a new manager in quickly, everything I hear both inside and outside of the club is around a bit of a remodel of the backroom staff… personally I think this is very important, the club was laden with voices that were either too consenting or completely opposed to new direction

Get a manager in that can help shape the new direction of the club, this will likely be slightly short term as despite what RA believes there is a significant tactical gulf between Champ and Prem and a prem tactical approach doesn’t always transfer well into a Champ promotion push

Identify who is likely leaving, and where our gaps are early… for me the obvious is DM, ST, RB before we even start

Get the footballing decisions correct and the rest can follow

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, verlaine1979 said:

He's shite, and his shiteness, along with that of many of our other attackers, is a huge contributing factor to us going down. He's managed five league goals this season. In terms of minutes per goal, it currently works out at about one every four-and-a-quarter games. The Championship is absolutely his level, but because he's played in the PL, someone will probably take a punt on him and find out how shit he is for themselves.

He’ll end up at a bottom to mid prem club and will do well because despite the fact you cannot see his obvious qualities he is good enough at this level

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Smirking_Saint said:

He’ll end up at a bottom to mid prem club and will do well because despite the fact you cannot see his obvious qualities he is good enough at this level

He has two obvious qualities: decent chest control and he can pass reasonably accurately most of the time (though his passing and control were both crap yesterday)

As for the rest of the striker's toolkit, he's got no pace, no anticipation in the box, he's incredibly one-footed, and he can't finish unless he's leathering it as hard as possible in a straight line. As bad as anything we've had since the days of Ormerod.

I blame Che for our season. His incredible miss at Wolves changed our season.

We played that game in a mid table position. We had just beaten Chelsea, confidence was high and Wolves were bottom. In that game we were 1 nil down when Che missed the open goal from 6 inches. We were dominating that match and could well have gone on and won. Even a point would have been ok and our confidence would have stayed high. As it was we lost to a team at the bottom, despair crept in, Ralph lost his job and from that we went downhill. The chuckle brothers became  our managers, we panicked in the transfer market and the rest will soon be history. 

My message to SR  is if Che wants to go then let him. If any of the current squad don't want to stay then let them go . Appoint the new manager on 29 May and let's start to rebuild this football club  

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

6 hours ago, verlaine1979 said:

He has two obvious qualities: decent chest control and he can pass reasonably accurately most of the time (though his passing and control were both crap yesterday)

As for the rest of the striker's toolkit, he's got no pace, no anticipation in the box, he's incredibly one-footed, and he can't finish unless he's leathering it as hard as possible in a straight line. As bad as anything we've had since the days of Ormerod.

Funnily enough Brett was another one that I would start most games, because back then he was fairly integral to how we played and likely a huge reason Beattie went through his purple patch

Che is better than Brett, he works hard, holds the ball up, disrupts defences, his build up play is good. He is however not clinical enough, so reasonably unreliable to finish the scraps we give him, however if we actually managed to get a decent finisher next to him we’d of been fine

He’ll still end up at a mid/bottom half prem club. Because he is a good player and most people that know what they’re looking at can see it

• Like 3

10 hours ago, verlaine1979 said:

He shouldn't be a striker. He should be at the top of a midfield diamond, with Lavia at the base and Alcaraz and JWP at the corners. Get the ball, play it central to Che, he can hold it up for Alcaraz or JWP to run past him or turn and play the early ball through to the two pacey wingers/strikers playing ahead of him.

He's similar to Joelinton; a shit striker who flourished when dropped deeper and used to link up the play instead of shooting. He's big, strong, covers ground, can pick a pass, and can't shoot to save his life.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Smirking_Saint said:

Funnily enough Brett was another one that I would start most games, because back then he was fairly integral to how we played and likely a huge reason Beattie went through his purple patch

It's amazing how few teams have discovered the magic of having a deliberately shite second striker. You'd think after the Ormerod/Beattie and Ings/Adams pairings, the hipsters would've cottoned on. You don't need finishers - you just need one player who can't finish and the other one will automatically score goals.

Edited by verlaine1979
  • Haha 2

Che is absolute crap. Can't believe people think otherwise. For a striker in the PL to be as bad at finishing as he is, it's unbelievable - it's literally what they are supposed to be good at.

On 10/05/2023 at 06:24, Smirking_Saint said:

He’ll still end up at a mid/bottom half prem club. 

Maybe, because he will be cheap and worth a punt. I expect he will make a handful of appearances, do fuck all, then spend a year or so warming the bench and end up back in the Championship.

1 hour ago, aintforever said:

Maybe, because he will be cheap and worth a punt. I expect he will make a handful of appearances, do fuck all, then spend a year or so warming the bench and end up back in the Championship.

We’ll see… regardless of his finishing we’re always a better outfit with him on the pitch without him we’re absolutely hopeless 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, verlaine1979 said:

It's amazing how few teams have discovered the magic of having a deliberately shite second striker. You'd think after the Ormerod/Beattie and Ings/Adams pairings, the hipsters would've cottoned on. You don't need finishers - you just need one player who can't finish and the other one will automatically score goals.

You weren't a fan of Emile Heskey then?

54 minutes ago, Smirking_Saint said:

We’ll see… regardless of his finishing we’re always a better outfit with him on the pitch without him we’re absolutely hopeless 

I don't disagree. But the fact that he is joint 48th on the top goalscorer list, but 11th on the big chances missed list is a big reason we are bottom of the league IMO.

• Like 2

On 09/05/2023 at 22:29, The Curse of St Mary's said:

The new manager won't know what he has to work with until that 31 man squad is trimmed considerably and new signings are made which will take quite some time. Hopefully SR can dangle the carrot of substantial investment in the squad and get bulk of dealings done early doors so new manager has enough time to stamp his authority but depends if Rasmus is at the wheel calling the shots. 

Getting players out the door is not something that usually happens quickly. The likes of Orsic and Salisu may have sorted moves out already, but unwanted and overpaid players often hang around all summer picking up wages. I am sure SR will be looking very carefully at the wage bill for next season and won't want to add to it before it is trimmed considerably (as you said). That means we may miss out on some good opportunities, assuming we intend to sign anyone at all. We have bought 15 or 16 new players in the last two windows. There may be a reluctance to bring in more, despite some obvious needs.A lot of players could go and we'd still have reasonable size, if not impressive, squad.

Edited by Chez

44 minutes ago, miserableoldgit said:

I wonder what SR will do after the pitiful season that we have just had.... Chelsea FREEZE season ticket prices in bid to appease fans https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-12072241/Chelsea-freeze-2023-24-season-ticket-prices-Todd-Boehly-aim-appease-disgruntled-fans.html?ito=native_share_article-nativemenubutton

Appeasing fans for taking the club backwards by making literally no changes.

Cracking logic. 🤣

I’m sure SR will do the same and dress it up as something else; “an extra four games for free”, and all that bollocks.

Comedy owners, who have relegated this club. Not even the absent "hey saints fans" Gao did this.\

I fully expect to do a Stoke than a Burnley. 

Even more hilarious that their top-cheerleaders on here are claiming they are looking at a new ground or a stadium re-vamp.  Are they on acid?

Terrible terrible terrible owners

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

Wonder what PR we'll get tonight.

Hopefully the immediate sacking of Rasmus, Semmens and any other cretin that had any slight involvement in the appointment of Nathan Jones, the signing of Tall Paul, and the signings we were duped into making by Shields. 

• Like 6

I don’t really understand what possible thing they can announce to be honest ?

Intention to keep best players ? Surely its a hiding to nothing, they’ll end up with egg on their face when hands are forced

Intention to fund a promotion push ? Surely inflates prices for potential targets

IMO the best thing they can do is offer reduced ST prices off the bat, release a statement saying they have learnt from mistakes and are committed to driving us forward and regrouping

Whatever it is… it’ll be a mess imo

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, SambaMaverick said:

Not sure if this is new, but it's really fucking grim reading:

https://archive.ph/WLTvG

You'd imagine the young players who are turning up late to training/on their phones are Edozie, Mara and Bazunu considering they've all been dropped, not getting much of a look in and their general demeanour which we see, although for an admittedly short period of time. You also wouldn't be too surprised if AMN and Aribo were just as poor professionally off the pitch, although AMN does get in the team every week, so he may be doing something right like the other lesser talents who get played every week.

Overall, what a mess of a situation. I don't know why Crocker wasn't just put in charge of recruitment in January and why it had to be the under qualified Ankersen.

Even tonight's statement is coming weeks/months too late. Why wait until we're confirmed relegated to release something you'd hope is meaningful and not when relegation was staring us in the face.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, melmacian_saint said:

I do fully expect something big out of that announcement, like Semmens walking or even that the club is up for sale again.

The board of Southampton football club share the fans disappointment at being relegated from the Premier league, all fans will be given a free sausage roll at the final game of the season paid for by the players to show their appreciation for your support. 

• Haha 1

That's a really shit statement. Saying its the most competitive league in the world is just a variation of what Semmens said about us being lucky to be here. Not much they could have said really though. Might have been better just saying nothing. 

Edited by hypochondriac
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

That's a really shit statement. Saying its the most competitive league in the world is just a variation of what Semmens said about us being lucky to be here. Not much they could have said really though. Might have been better just saying nothing. 

Agree , bit like "we tried our best, never mind always next time " 

Whole club has the wrong attitude for success 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, trousers said:

Screenshot_20230513-190250.png

"Fought tirelessly" 

😂😂😂

Silver lining might be that clowns like Semmens, Greenwell etc. will also be gone. Absolute clean sweep of leadership is needed, including those the layer down (another layer of directors and a second tier senior management team - no good organisation has two!) who are as useless as those at the top. 

Clear the decks. Reduce the PowerPoint presentations that lead nowhere, be a club who wants to win. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, trousers said:

Screenshot_20230513-190250.png

"Fought tirelessly" 

😂😂😂

They are taking us for mugs if they expect us believe that was fighting tirelessly. As pathetic as Ward Prowse’s post match interview.

Bunch of cunts, hopefully Dragon will be handing out redundancies like confetti this summer.

• Like 5

What a fucking load of bollocks  - no substance like the team all season. Pathetic. Embarrassing supporting this club at the moment - fans clapping players for making a tackle or passing it 5 yards today - have a word with yourselves. Absolutely shit, wouldn't get away with it any other club. Wet as a bowl of water - melts............... Accept mediocrity, get mediocrity. Everyone including the fans need to take a long hard look at themselves. Only reason I would want of the players shirts at the moment is to wipe my arse.......

• Like 4

Needed some contrition to win over fans, something like

- some players have not performed to the level we expect. We will realign our playing staff with our expectation for commitment. Expect notable departures and new experienced talent recruitment

- as owners, we haven't made wise decisions. It's clear we underestimated what's involved. We will change our approach. New strategy, new drive, no hiding.

- we've taken fans for granted too much. We will involve them more in what we do and listen to them.

- our academy has lapsed ....

- our managerial turnover and culture isn't fit for purpose ...

- our club philosophy has got lost ...

- 50% reduction for season ticket holders who stay with us. That's OUR committee to YOU.

• Like 1

On 09/05/2023 at 23:30, Tamesaint said:

I blame Che for our season. His incredible miss at Wolves changed our season.

We played that game in a mid table position. We had just beaten Chelsea, confidence was high and Wolves were bottom. In that game we were 1 nil down when Che missed the open goal from 6 inches. We were dominating that match and could well have gone on and won. Even a point would have been ok and our confidence would have stayed high. As it was we lost to a team at the bottom, despair crept in, Ralph lost his job and from that we went downhill. The chuckle brothers became  our managers, we panicked in the transfer market and the rest will soon be history. 

My message to SR  is if Che wants to go then let him. If any of the current squad don't want to stay then let them go . Appoint the new manager on 29 May and let's start to rebuild this football club  

Sorry I can normally just scroll past these type of posts. Seriously blaming Che for our relegation?? Should be ashamed of yourself, then the posts above moaning how bad our main striker is?? Wtf?? Our players are here because they were offered a contract with £££££ no more no less that's how football works.. blame the people in charge of the club FFS. That's where the decisions are made! 

They are useless, they need to explain why we have been relegated and what and how they are going to fix it.