Saints 1-1 Chelsea- Match Thread

os862saints

10 hours ago, JRM said:

We've played Chelsea 13 times at St Mary's, won 1, drawn 2, lost 10 (including the last 5) , definitely a ground they like visiting. 

Chelsea to win Giroud to score anytime. 

Remember a few years ago I was in Hythe when we were playing Chelsea. Heard two huge roars across the water, checked my phone each time, and found we'd scored two. Went in a few shops, checked the phone again and we were 3-2 down.

45 minutes ago, Teddeer said:

Remember a few years ago I was in Hythe when we were playing Chelsea. Heard two huge roars across the water, checked my phone each time, and found we'd scored two. Went in a few shops, checked the phone again and we were 3-2 down.

That was the game where Mike Dean failed to spot a two footed tackle by Alonso on Shane Long right in front of him. Alonso crossed for 2 of the 3 Chelsea goals .

Alonso was subsequently banned for 3 games , which didn't help us much. 

Just now, egg said:

I reckon usual shape with either Bednarek or Salisu RB. Djenepo at wing back against Alonso and Werner would be nuts. 

Can't see it. You'd surely play Stephens there ahead of either of those.

It will be Djenepo at RWB and it will be a mess.

Also, Redmond over Adams is a mistake. 

• Like 2

Our two best players of the season out so far in Armstrong and KWP.

(although JWP/Vestegaard may have something to say about the above)

I would have preferred Adams to have started too but these are Ralph's choices

Edited by nta786

Just now, benjii said:

Can't see it. You'd surely play Stephens there ahead of either of those.

It will be Djenepo at RWB and it will be a mess.

Also, Redmond over Adams is a mistake. 

I get that but Djenepo at wing back against their left side is mental. 

I'm in two minds on Redmond. He drops deep and links play which helps the midfield. We'll need that without Armstrong, and especially if we're playing 3 at the back. 

Just now, saintwbu said:

Shouldn’t Jankewitz still be suspended? Didn’t think the plan applied in the FA Cup? If so it’s only the third game since he got the red card...

Apparently his ban included the FA cup. I thought the same as you but someone mentioned a rule change. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, egg said:

Apparently his ban included the FA cup. I thought the same as you but someone mentioned a rule change. 

Ah okay. Makes sense because it seemed weird Ralph didn’t include him in that game, which would’ve suggested maybe he’d lost faith in him which would’ve been a shame. 

Feel we may just get a bit of luck today. Chelsea are due to drop some points and we are certainly due some. Need a spark from Minamino or Ings and a bit of last ditch, back to the walls defending that we have seen on previous occasions against some of the bigger teams.

Saints 3-1 Chelsea (Ings 18, Minamino 32, Ward-Prowse 57, Mount 44)

On reflection I think it will be a 3 at the back. 

Ralph hinted at a change of shape in the embargoed section of his pre-match press conference on Thursday.

"If you have no players in one position, then it is always an option to think about a change of shape. This is not something that is too difficult to change quickly, especially when you have had a week to prepare.” – Ralph Hasenhuttl

Edited by egg

• Lighthouse changed the title to Saints Vs Chelsea- Match Thread
2 minutes ago, egg said:

On reflection I think it will be a 3 at the back. 

Ralph hinted at a change of shape in the embargoed section of his pre-match press conference on Thursday.

"If you have no players in one position, then it is always an option to think about a change of shape. This is not something that is too difficult to change quickly, especially when you have had a week to prepare.” – Ralph Hasenhuttl

Doesn’t say much for his opinion of Ramsey then!

• Lighthouse changed the title to Saints 1-1 Chelsea- Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic