Saints 1-1 Chelsea- Match Thread

os862saints

Just now, LGTL said:

Peter Walton with useless insight. How is that knob getting paid by BT? 

He has been useless for months.

I don’t think he has ever said anything original it’s the same rubbish just on a different day.

He has always sided with his ex-colleagues. 

Just now, nta786 said:

He has been useless for months.

I don’t think he has ever said anything original it’s the same rubbish just on a different day.

He has always sided with his ex-colleagues. 

Exactly why its pointless them having him there, he never criticises the ref. 

• Like 2

Just now, Saint_clark said:

Exactly why its pointless them having him there, he never criticises the ref. 

Can't remember the game last season, just after the restart and one of our players got sent off for a high boot, BT asked Walton and he said something along the lines of "bad tackle, straight red, good decision" and then the ref went and reviewed it on the screen, changed his mind to a yellow and Peter f-ing Walton came back and said "right decision, clearly not a red, good refereeing".

• Haha 2

That’s the kind of decision that’s going against us and ruining games. Kante with a studs up challenge very similar to Djenepo (red) and Bertie (red) last year. Had it been the other way around they’d probably award red, wind the clock back to before we scored and award a penalty.

mlg: yes I know, was joking.

Edited by OttawaSaint

To be honest, I would be livid if we did either of those challenges and got a red for it. But let's be honest, we probably would have got a red for it. Werner should have been booked mind you. The Kante one, well, it's the risk you take for putting in a great tackle like that. And fair play to Djenepo, he's made of glass but he is putting in a shift even though I, and probably him, have no idea what position he's playing.

Can't remember when we put in a real backs to the wall half like that. Even IF we lose this, maybe this can be a template on how to see out games once we are ahead. Chelsea are very good so I can't blame the lads if we lose it. When Kante plays like this there is only so much you can do.

Edited by sydney_saint
  • Like 1

Just now, BotleySaint said:

Surely it's time to ditch VAR? The review process is so subjective it's probably the same percentage of right/wrong calls as the ref just calling it on the pitch in real time. Without the delay.

The biggest mistake they've made is having current refs man the VAR, and having them in the same pairs always (mates working together). They should be training brand new VAR officials who don't interact with the referees outside of match day so they have no biases. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, maysie said:

So is our weird formation/ tactics  genius from Ralph, or just got a bit lucky?

Formation very fluid

Bit of both I think. They've breached our right side loads but the path to the middle has been blocked by a load of players. 

Salisu had one moment when he was a statue, but been very solid and calm otherwise. 

2 minutes ago, StrangelyBrown said:

As bad as jankewitz's challenge imo - not in control at all and studs up. The rule book is very very clear

Funny how they rely on what they perceive to be the player’s “intent” when they’re trying to excuse it. Intent is nothing to do with the relevant rule as far as I’m aware. No one can know the intent of the player, other than the player themselves.

• Like 1

I know Djenepo has been caught a couple of times, but in general, boy does he make a meal of things. He rolls around crying like a baby then a minute later he's fine. He basically tries to con the ref, maybe not with the Kante challenge, but others and I think the refs are wise to him. He's perhaps become the boy that cries wolf

Just now, Chez said:

I know Djenepo has been caught a couple of times, but in general, boy does he make a meal of things. He rolls around crying like a baby then a minute later he's fine. He basically tries to con the ref, maybe not with the Kante challenge, but others and I think the refs are wise to him. He's perhaps become the boy that cries wolf

I think you're underestimating how much studs up challenges at full speed would hurt, especially given players wear those pathetic little inserts now instead of shin pads. 

• Like 2

It's difficult to watch the game with these commentators. They think they're on the radio and daren't leave any silence. They have to say something even if they already said it a few minutes earlier.  And, of course, the constant shots of Tuchel and not the game. Bloody irritating.

Now, can we just park the bus please?

Werner was clipped by Romeu (I think) a couple of paces before his challenge so guess the justification is that caused him to be off balance and lose control in the challenge.

Djenepo slid across Kante’s path as he was sprinting with the ball. In real time, it would have been a harsh red.

In contrast to a lot of the comments on here, I think we’re actually playing well, sticking to a different game plan to what we’re used to seeing. Chelsea haven’t really had any clear cut chances, we’ve defended fairly solidly without needing to press everything at such a fast pace. Will hopefully mean we have the energy to step it up if needed as the game progresses.

1 minute ago, adrian lord said:

Funny how they rely on what they perceive to be the player’s “intent” when they’re trying to excuse it. Intent is nothing to do with the relevant rule as far as I’m aware. No one can know the intent of the player, other than the player themselves.

Agreed and incredible how they can think, “oh that young lad is deliberately trying to injure someone in the first minute of a debut at OT” but think “oh poor Kante, he was trying to tackle but just missed”.

1 minute ago, Chez said:

You’re absolutely right, but in a game like this the positive is it gives us a breather and disrupts and frustrates the opposition. I know it’s not very British of me to say, but I’m all for rolling around on the floor second half 😂

• Like 1

Bizarre game, really. We've been second best everywhere - Chelsea are quicker, stronger, more aggressive - and have barely completed a pass. And then Minamino, who has been our worst player and lost possession every time the ball came near him, pops up with a beautiful goal from out of nowhere. Suddenly we've got something to cling to. Whether we can is another issue.

Not sure what the manager is thinking playing long balls up to a short striker and a winger, but I guess the scoreline so far justifies it. 

Credit to Djenepo for putting his brittle body on the line for the team. Can't defend to save his life, but he's giving it a go. Those two fouls on him weren't pretty but I have to say I'd have been livid if the boot was on the other foot and VAR had intervened to send a Saints player off for such challenges. Late, yes. A booking if a proper referee was on the whistle. But I don't think there was any serious intent there.

Big half coming up. Even a point would be a boost. Good luck lads.

We are shite but fuck it you never know. 
ref is usual useless fucker. 
BT referring to tv ref is so annoying also. Adds absolutely fck all and means nothing. As if these useless twats have more insight than the average viewer. So apparent they don’t from all the haphazard bs decisions all season.

2 minutes ago, ChrisPY said:

Werner was clipped by Romeu (I think) a couple of paces before his challenge so guess the justification is that caused him to be off balance and lose control in the challenge.

Djenepo slid across Kante’s path as he was sprinting with the ball. In real time, it would have been a harsh red.

In contrast to a lot of the comments on here, I think we’re actually playing well, sticking to a different game plan to what we’re used to seeing. Chelsea haven’t really had any clear cut chances, we’ve defended fairly solidly without needing to press everything at such a fast pace. Will hopefully mean we have the energy to step it up if needed as the game progresses.

Watch the challenge again - it was reckless and should have been a red card. Could have broken his leg or ankle.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CWD said:

You’re absolutely right, but in a game like this the positive is it gives us a breather and disrupts and frustrates the opposition. I know it’s not very British of me to say, but I’m all for rolling around on the floor second half 😂

I know it's not very British me to say, but c'est la vie.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

I think you're underestimating how much studs up challenges at full speed would hurt, especially given players wear those pathetic little inserts now instead of shin pads. 

I'm not talking about that challenge. You are right, that may have been painful. I'm talking about almost every time anyone touches him in past Saints games. 

• Lighthouse changed the title to Saints 1-1 Chelsea- Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic