Saints 1-1 Chelsea- Match Thread

os862saints

10 minutes ago, Chez said:

we were fortunate to be leading considering how shit we were first half, so don't see it as dropping two points. Fought hard in the second half and made life harder for them. Didn't do much going forward, but the balance between attack and defence hasn't been right so we had to be more reserved.

Disagree. What exactly did Chelsea create first half for all their possession?

Just now, Matthew Le God said:

No it isn't 

The philosophy is independent from the formation. 

In any case we only played 3 at the back for about 5-10 minutes and then went to 4222 formation.

Lol. Got to admit I totally got it wrong 😇

Hmmmn where is all the silly questioning of players mentality? All these 'weak' players lacking leaders surely should have folded in that second half according to the 'wisdom' of many on here.....

When we don't get screwed over by the officials we start getting the points we more deserve, as we did today.  Though I will say for all their millions and millions spent Chelsea still look pretty average, all Tuchel seems to have done is make them a bit more solid but more blunt as an attacking force. 

Should give us some confidence now, stopped the losing streak, got off 29 points, onwards to Leeds, which could be a very unpredictable game. 

Two players who have really flattered to deceive, Redmond and Djenepo, were very good today. 

Cool from Minamino, the more minutes he gets under his belt he will be a great asset.

All hail Salisu. He looks impressive. We can throw all the Forren comparisons in the bin now. Vestergaard very good aswell.

One negative is that Bednarek is clearly not a RB, positionally he struggled and got done a few times. Honestly think he could with a rest. Seems to have played every game for us for the past 2 years. Sooner Diallo or KWP is back the better

• Like 2

1 minute ago, austsaint said:

Ralph really can't drop Salisu after today.  He's done a "Diallo"....played himself into the best 11.

Agreeed. Who does he drop though once KWP is back and assuming we go back to 4222? For me Bednarek, which is harsh on him.

1 minute ago, egg said:

Agreeed. Who does he drop though once KWP is back and assuming we go back to 4222? For me Bednarek, which is harsh on him.

It would be hard on Bednarek, yet as things stand you would have to guess he will be the unlucky one when KWP returns.

• Like 1

We needed to get a scrappy result on the board, just like that. Just a shame that once again we lose a lead though, we really need to work on that.

We didn't play well in possession or attack, but we defended well. Midfield was poor though, esp. Romeu who was just a yard off it.

Moussa was like a simmering firework on the right, he was great value, but you always felt nervous and wide open with him there.

Ings anonymous, but mainly because of the lack of midfield stability. Redmond with a delightful defence splitting pass, he made good runs off the ball but didn't really cause them too many problems during the game.

Minimino good on the ball once he settled into the game (he started poorly) but he needs to be much better off the ball and much more aggressive if he's to be a success at this level.

Last and final note to Salisu. The wait was worth it by the looks of it. I honestly didn't have a clue what was going on with him, maybe we will never know the full story...but he looks like an excellent player and well worth the wait. He reads the game amazingly well, seems to sniff out danger - an un-coachable trait and often the signs of a very good football player.

On wards and upwards I guess. 30 points at last. We are truly marooned in mid table nothingness, so the next 3 games is a test to see if we can push beyond that or that's where we will be staying.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jimmy_D said:

Ooof, Tuchel throwing him under the bus there.

Admitting that subbing the sub was tactical?

That press conference he was fuming, ‘tis funny that we’ve managed to wind him up that much lol.

I think his own players wound him up by playing poorly.

Joe Cole hasn't got a clue. What's he going on about with Hudson-Odoi? It's ok for him to stand around not doing what he's told because at one point he might do something quite good?

37 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

No it isn't 

The philosophy is independent from the formation. 

In any case we only played 3 at the back for about 5-10 minutes and then went to 4222 formation.

I don't care what the formation might have been, the philosophy certainly changed. Less exhausting pressing (perhaps the reason for Ings' anonymity - except at the wrong end! Also note the team didn't wilt after 60 minutes); far less faffing about at the back and recycling between midfield and defence; far more incisive, forward-thinking play, combined with a greater fluidity of positions. All of this whilst holding out a physical, talented team - it was like men against (brave) boys at times.

Djenepo was like 2 players out there today (and Kante like his usual 3).

Edited by SaveloyMush
  • Like 1

Very pleased with the point, we need to grind out more results like that. 

Salisu and Djenepo excellent joint men of the match in my opinion. 

Ings disappointing, needs a rest on Tuesday have him on the bench. 

Vestergaaard unlucky to hit the woodwork. 

• Like 3

Take a bow Moussa, Salisu Vesty and Bertrand. That was excellent.

Mina has the shooting boots to play up front with Ings.

Get KWP back and that back four could be the best defence we’ve had in years.

Vesty and Salisu showed they can not only play together as I suspected they could, they were excellent against a top in form side like Chelsea today

Redmond is just Redmond, he shouldn’t start.

Keep Stephens away.

Come back starts yoday

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

Djenepo was brilliant, i think he gets a tough time on here when so often he seems to be Ralph’s go-to utility man. Often puts a real shift in for the team when i’m sure he’d much rather be attacking further up the pitch. Really pleased for him today. Salisu also very good, dare I say it, we’ve made two good signings in the summer? 😮

• Like 5

31 minutes ago, BotleySaint said:

Ah can't believe we got a point. It was attack after attack from Chelsea but we can take heart. Really impressed with Salisu, Djenepo and thought Tella looks to have really improved too.

I posted  BEFORE START I had a good feeling about this game. Did same for Liverpool game. Pity I am not a betting man

• Like 1

take a point all day long. Seems like we sacrificed attack to keep numbers at the back. Armstrong and KWP are such huge losses for us.

Very assured from Salisu, Djenepo with some serious workrate too.

Ings very quiet, but Tuesday night should be a completely different game.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, saintwbu said:

Djenepo was brilliant, i think he gets a tough time on here when so often he seems to be Ralph’s go-to utility man. Often puts a real shift in for the team when i’m sure he’d much rather be attacking further up the pitch. Really pleased for him today. Salisu also very good, dare I say it, we’ve made two good signings in the summer? 😮

Our first two transfer windows without Ross Wilsons influence have been very positive.

KWP - Loan in the Jan window

KWP Perm, Salisu perm, Diallo perm in the summer window. Theo and Minamino loans.

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 6

I wasn't that keen on Minamino today. Yes he walked away with the goal, but I didn't feel like he was fighting for the team. Compare that to Djenepo who would love a goal, but instead threw his brittle body at everything. Minamino will probably get more headlines, but it was Djenepo who showed real guts today. 

Rest of the team were good. I think JWP and Romeu did okay. That Chelsea midfield is very strong and whilst their passing was off today and didn't connect many tackles, they did well to cut off passing lanes and give defence protection. Salisu looks a hell of a player. Him and Vest have to start now. 

Whilst it may seem harsh on Bednarek, this is how we want things. We want players playing their way into the first team. In too many positions players go from the bench to first XI because the person in the first XI is out of form, not because the bench player fought their way back. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Avenue_Saint said:

Take a bow Moussa, Salisu Vesty and Bertrand. That was excellent.

Mina has the shooting boots to play up front with Ings.

Get KWP back and that back four could be the best defence we’ve had in years.

Vesty and Salisu showed they can not only play together as I suspected they could, they were excellent against a top in form side like Chelsea today

Redmond is just Redmond, he shouldn’t start.

Keep Stephens away.

Come back starts yoday

Genuine question - did you watch the game? If you did, you would have seen that Redmond was our best attacking player by a mile. Knock him if he's shit, but give credit where its due. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

The penalty was the sort where against us it was given with barely a check but for us I’m sure they’d have looked in minute detail and seen that Ings did just get a bit of the ball.

I’d say it probably was a pen, but nowhere near as clear cut as some have suggested. We’ve had better shouts refused. The refereeing today, apart from the penalty, didn’t have a critical effect on the result, but how Chelsea survived all those hacks on Djenepo without even a yellow, I don’t know. There were two tackles worse than Bertrand’s when he was sent off against Leicester and Djenepo when he saw red too. And quite a few where we didn’t even get a free kick.

• Like 8

2 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Our first two transfer windows without Ross Wilsons influence have been very positive.

KWP - Loan in the Jan window

KWP Perm, Salisu perm, Diallo perm in the summer window. Theo and Minamino loans.

Very tidy additions.  Probably the best recruitment since the days of Paul Mitchell.

• Like 1

Good point from a very good defensive set up. 

Minamino and Redmond were dreadful up until the goal.

Moussa was every where, winning the ball and taking  Chelsea on. Not sure how that tackle on him from Werner was any different  from the one Moussa got sent off for last year.

MOM  for Salisu. He looks a he'll of a player.

Edited by redkeith
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, egg said:

Genuine question - did you watch the game? If you did, you would have seen that Redmond was our best attacking player by a mile. Knock him if he's shit, but give credit where its due. 

Don’t think he was Egg. Sorry mate

He did some good things but overall just blunts our attack. One occasion, Mina had acres in front of him, instead of playing him in on overlap, he drags it back, then plays the ball forward when I pouts lost, goes out of play. Too many situations like that have got the beating of me for him sadly.

he simply doesn’t have a football brain. 

Djenepo was the best player on the pitch today. Followed by Salisu.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

43 minutes ago, BotleySaint said:

Ah can't believe we got a point. It was attack after attack from Chelsea but we can take heart. Really impressed with Salisu, Djenepo and thought Tella looks to have really improved too.

How many saves did McCarthy make out of interest?

• Haha 1