Saints 1-1 Chelsea- Match Thread

os862saints

• Lighthouse changed the title to Saints 1-1 Chelsea- Match Thread

we were fortunate to be leading considering how shit we were first half, so don't see it as dropping two points. Fought hard in the second half and made life harder for them. Didn't do much going forward, but the balance between attack and defence hasn't been right so we had to be more reserved.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Mattio said:

I can see us grabbing a draw here, we're bouncing back from our injury crisis and the 9-0 and have had a decent break of games for the first time in a while. KWP being out is a big downer but maybe Salisu can play there and excel? 

I wish I stuck a tenner on it 🙃

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BotleySaint said:

Ah can't believe we got a point. It was attack after attack from Chelsea but we can take heart. Really impressed with Salisu, Djenepo and thought Tella looks to have really improved too.

They had loads of possession but barely any shots on target. They were poor in the final third, partly because we defended well.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, davefizzy14 said:

Great point - Salisu and Moussa both very good :) cool finish from Minamino :)

Yep. That will do wonders for confidence. Salisu was worth the wait and I didn't think Djenepo had that performance in him, but the lad did very well. 

• Like 2

Nice to see us grow into a game for a change, we seemed to maybe be a bit less 'up and at them' then usual in the first half, maybe intentional to make sure we don't fade in the second?

Djenepo was fantastic, a joy to watch today. Salisu also. A well worked point in uncharacteristic fashion for us.

5 minutes ago, Mr X said:

Would have won if not for a moment of stupidity 

Youve no idea what would have happened if the penalty hadn't been given - we'd have entered an alternate reality... Chelsea may have become agrieved at not being awarded the penalty and knocked 3 past us in their anger, ergo Ings could have won us a point...

Edited by trousers
  • Like 1

Credit where it’s due, we dug in and defended pretty well. We didn’t play well and I think if Chelsea were in top form they would have beaten us today. All in I’d say a draw is a fair result. 

Salisu looks a proper player and offers us more solidity in that back 4 (Jan should be looking over his shoulder) 

another 2 points dropped but something to build on today. 

the most obvious penalty you’ll ever see and McCarthy always just seems to dive down the middle... 

on to Leeds where we’ll have many more opportunities to score. 

Just now, aintforever said:

Decent result, Salisu looks a right good player.

Thought Salisu's performance was the most encouraging part of the match; that and finally getting off 29 points!   He and Vestergaard looked the best CB combination we've fielded for quite a while.   Chelsea dominated midfield and young Mount was unstoppable in the second half, but it was a well earned point.   Breaking the run of losses and getting to 30 points felt like a win.

• Like 1

That was a hard watch, and not just the dodgy stream.. After they'd equalised I steeled myself for Chelsea getting a winner so pleased with the one.

Salisu occasionally looks a bit casual but he's going to be an asset. Djenepo my MoM, both for effort and for results. Good goal from us, lovely through ball by Redmond and excellent finish, although some of Minamino's passing didn't look up to scratch.

As somebody else commented, off 29 points at last..

3 minutes ago, trousers said:

Youve no idea what would have happened if the penalty hadn't been given - we'd have entered an alternate reality... Chelsea may have become agrieved at not being awarded the penalty and knocked 3 past us in their anger, ergo Ings could have won us a point...

Butterfly effect eh MLG?

2 minutes ago, austsaint said:

Thought Salisu's performance was the most encouraging part of the match; that and finally getting off 29 points!   He and Vestergaard looked the best CB combination we've fielded for quite a while.   Chelsea dominated midfield and young Mount was unstoppable in the second half, but it was a well earned point.   Breaking the run of losses and getting to 30 points felt like a win.

Curious to see what Ralph does once all are fit again as Bednarek has always been his go to centre back.

• Like 1