Summer Transfer Window 2021

Dusic

2 hours ago, benjii said:

What does "already proven" mean in the context of a Premier League striker?

Anyone proven to score goals regularly in the PL will be well out of our budget. So, what, Glenn Murray, Chris Woods, Ashley Barnes?

We won't be signing a "proven" striker. 

Frankly, if Ings is leaving then as soon as we get a few more points on the board we should Hojbjerg him and give Tella and Nlundulu as many minutes as possible to see what they can do.

As SKD says above, by ‘already proven’ I mean someone that at least can come in and make an impact instantly, rather than someone that takes 3/4 months to bed in.

I personally wouldn’t want to be relying on Adams to get us goals from the start of next season. 

Edited by beavis17

18 hours ago, Suhari said:

Could that young lad at Arsenal be an option as striker?

Not as the main man, but an upgrade on our current youngsters.

Nketiah good call but don't think Arsenal  would listen ,maybe loan ? Hudson Odi? after Saturdays public dressing down in front of the media... Tella  needs more time and not just sub minutes of 15 or less ...I like Adams but not quite the finished article may be time to sell already? ...Will Ferry has promise i think ?

20 minutes ago, Roo1976 said:

Nketiah good call but don't think Arsenal  would listen ,maybe loan ? Hudson Odi? after Saturdays public dressing down in front of the media... Tella  needs more time and not just sub minutes of 15 or less ...I like Adams but not quite the finished article may be time to sell already? ...Will Ferry has promise i think ?

Not quite the finished article, so we'll sell him? We can all agree that Adams isnt the best finisher, but at least hes getting himself into them positions. As we all know it took him long enough to get his first goal (some horrible luck too) but since then hes got 8 goals and 4 assists in his last 25 games. Thats not a bad PL return for a second striker. His hold up play and passing can be excellent at times. The link up him and Ings had for a few months was great to watch, so we know whats capable. Also need to remember that hes only 24. I dont see us getting much better for a second striker, we just need to find an adequate replacement for Ings should he go.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Matthew Le God said:

How many 1st team number 10s do you want? 

as many as possible, I want us to be the number 10 hoarders of europe.

Seriously though I could get behind Mini joining us, keeping Theo on lower wages as both players would give us strong options to rotate and upfront.

If Ings goes say for 20mil who we thinking we could get as I think goalscoring from midfielders is going to be needed.

- Daka purely cos he plays for RB Salz and maybe we could afford him.

@Matthew Le God its your time to shine amigo I've got a challenge for you.

who in FM could play in a 4-2-2-2 and is under 25 and could be affordable and eligible post brexit to play for us ?

Selling Adams would be a stupid idea unless for some reason the £30m offers start rolling in.

Its absolute golddust to find a good striker as a bottom half club, which is why losing Ings for £20m or so would be so frustrating.

There are a few sides near the bottom of the league who would probably be top half if they had Ings, Brighton and even Fulham come to mind.

Ings will be such a massive loss for little compensation, so would definitely be keeping the only other PL quality striker we own.

• Like 3

Minamino is on £60k pw at the moment

Theo - if he would drop to £50k will be staying I assume

Different question - would anyone have taken Dawson - I would assume no - but look at how well he is doing at West Ham - so again it comes down to management, system, coaching, personality, ambition and player skill not just he's shit at a particular team because strangely enough sometimes playing for different club means some players become better / fresh start etc.

• Like 2

The next transfer round will be very different to anything that has gone before.  With the obvious exceptions all clubs are going to have more restricted finances and contract offers may well not be as lucrative except for players who are demonstrably top class.  If Ings leaves and while it’s looking likely it’s not certain, a striker will be a priority but that does not mean we have to buy just to tick a priority box.  As someone said above if Ings is definitely going and once 100% safe play the youngsters instead to give them game time and confidence, we may be surprised.

51 minutes ago, Give it to Ron said:

With Theo out of contract we should look at Jonjo Kenny from Everton currently on loan at Celtic. Similar style to KWP and can play left full back too.

We couldn’t do loan before as had Theo.

Jonjo will be 24 years old next month and while he has decent experience, it doesn't look as though Everton feel he will make it as a Premiership starter. As cover for KWP or emergency left back would make sense, particularly if we could get on loan and have a look at first. I don't sense that he has the potential to become another KWP, but I suspect that we don't have ANY cash, so it will probably need to be a band aid solution for next year.  The obvious outgoings to generate decent cash are Ings & Vestergaard, but any incoming would probably need to be spent on replacements for them and possibly Bertrand too - or worse, paying off the 9% interest loan. 

It is all quite depressing, I really felt we were evolving into something that could challenge strongly in the top half each year and feel that the recent form can be rationally explained and a better balanced squad would have mitigated the poor results. 

Let's see - I am still of the view that as long as Ralph stays we'll do ok (not get relegated next year), but it does make you wonder what the potential of the team staying broadly the same with 1 or 2 smart additions could have been. 

1 hour ago, le_tiss said:

Different question - would anyone have taken Dawson - I would assume no - but look at how well he is doing at West Ham - so again it comes down to management, system, coaching, personality, ambition and player skill not just he's shit at a particular team because strangely enough sometimes playing for different club means some players become better / fresh start etc.

He’s a good defender Dawson, but realistically where does he fit in our team? 

1 hour ago, le_tiss said:

agree Betrand was rubbish at villa before we took him and no one expected him to be the stalwart he is

1 hour ago, aintforever said:

None of that article is new information. The loan was also taken out before Saints spent £35m on new players in the summer.

Edited by Matthew Le God

My thoughts and players who i do not rate;

Redmond to inconsistent at this level has been here a few seasons now can't see him suddenly improving.

Bertrand to slow what we need is somebody like walker peters on the left somebody young can run with the ball and has plenty of energy.

Walcott if we can get him on a free and with suitable wage demands ok if not forget about for me to inconsistent.

Ings no point fighting a loast cause if he wants out let him go and rebuild. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Need: 

New Striker apart from Ings are strikers couldn't score in a brothel......

Left back youthful has alot of energy and can hit the ground running similar mould to walker peters.

Right back cover for walker peters scout the championship secure best young talent we can find as a understudy for Peters.

minamino takumi to play as number 10 if we can get him for the right price or another creative player who can finish.

So yeah depending on whether we ship out Bertrand that's 4 players minimum 

54 minutes ago, ally_uk said:

My thoughts and players who i do not rate;

Redmond to inconsistent at this level has been here a few seasons now can't see him suddenly improving.

Bertrand to slow what we need is somebody like walker peters on the left somebody young can run with the ball and has plenty of energy.

Walcott if we can get him on a free and with suitable wage demands ok if not forget about for me to inconsistent.

Ings no point fighting a loast cause if he wants out let him go and rebuild. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Need: 

New Striker apart from Ings are strikers couldn't score in a brothel......

Left back youthful has alot of energy and can hit the ground running similar mould to walker peters.

Right back cover for walker peters scout the championship secure best young talent we can find as a understudy for Peters.

minamino takumi to play as number 10 if we can get him for the right price or another creative player who can finish.

So yeah depending on whether we ship out Bertrand that's 4 players minimum 

We have a significant debt which will worsen this season, and we make a loss every year. You're going to need to tailor your expectations. Bertrand especially is a must keep as we won't be able to replace him without a significant net spend.

Edited by Saint86

10 minutes ago, Saint86 said:

We have a significant debt which will worsen this season, and we make a loss every year. You're going to need to tailor your expectations. Bertrand especially is a must keep as we won't be able to replace him without a significant net spend.

To me it’s more of a highlight of why we should be trying to trim the wage bill and not keep Bertrand. Let’s suppose, for the sake of easy maths, that he and Walcott want £60k per week and Forster and Lemina are already on similar. I make that around £3m each a year, or £12m total. So if we can offload those four, we could in theory sign a new LB for £18m (paid over two years) and a £60k wage packet, for exactly the same money. That should leave us with hopefully a younger, better LB and a saleable asset should the need for money arise.

On 22/02/2021 at 17:14, Lighthouse said:

To me it’s more of a highlight of why we should be trying to trim the wage bill and not keep Bertrand. Let’s suppose, for the sake of easy maths, that he and Walcott want £60k per week and Forster and Lemina are already on similar. I make that around £3m each a year, or £12m total. So if we can offload those four, we could in theory sign a new LB for £18m (paid over two years) and a £60k wage packet, for exactly the same money. That should leave us with hopefully a younger, better LB and a saleable asset should the need for money arise.

Yeah I'd agree with this.

Wages + age + impact do not add up for Bertrand.

Ing's looks like he is off so bye bye in the summer thanks for the goals.

Remove as much deadwood from the wage bill as possible and get younger and hungry players in.

He was quite firm in todays presser that the squad isn't strong enough to cope as soon as we have injuries and that to progress we need to spend more.

I don't see how anyone can really argue with that, its true.

But it will only change with new ownership. Maybe Hasenhuttl's tenure will be looked back upon as "right guy, wrong time".

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Dusic said:

He was quite firm in todays presser that the squad isn't strong enough to cope as soon as we have injuries and that to progress we need to spend more.

But it will only change with new ownership. Maybe Hasenhuttl's tenure will be looked back upon as "right guy, wrong time".

I thought he wanted a small squad?

Imagine he’ll be over the moon when/if Bertrand leaves on a free & Ings goes cut-price.

1 hour ago, Dusic said:

Right manager, wrong time who took the job and signed a new contract, knowing exactly what he’s dealing with. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SuperSAINT said:

I thought he wanted a small squad?

To be fair, he said this back in January 2019 and he wasn't exactly talking about slashing the squad in half, more about pruning out the deadwood (yes, I'm fully aware that "pruning the deadwood" is one of those phrases that triggers a predictable reaction from some on here.... )

Maybe if he'd foreseen a global pandemic looming over the horizon a year later, and the ensuing condensed fixture list, he'd have had a different view on the matter and thus wouldn't have been saddled with the Saintsweb Forum's "Well, Ralph said he wanted a small squad" mantra.... ;)

https://www.dailyecho.co.uk/sport/17383445.southampton-manager-ralph-hasenhuttl-wants-much-smaller-squad/

The Saints manager currently has a full 25-man Premier League squad of senior stars, with the youngsters Hasenhuttl has used like Yan Valery, Josh Sims, Tyreke Johnson, Callum Slattery and Kayne Ramsay on top of that as they are listed as under-21s.

However, he would prefer to work with a squad of 18-20 players with the remainder made up of youngsters coming in and out of the first team picture as they progress during the season.

Asked what his optimum squad size for Saints would be, he replied: “I think not more than 20 – or 18 – and the rest with young players.

“We have the chance to teach them, the chance to have an eye on them, to show them they are part of our training group. That’s enough.

“Maybe if you have only one challenge in the year, like the Premier League, OK there are two cup competitions, but if you have only one competition it’s enough to have 18 and maybe a few young players behind.”

Edited by trousers
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, SuperSAINT said:

Agree with him, hopefully the daft threads about Fulham catching us get put to bed over the next 3 games and then the focus can go on to getting the club sold as vaccine programmes change the picture. Gao clearly wants to sell but may have wanted too much £££ when we were flying high. This run of results plus the continuing withdrawal of overall Chinese investments in football might encourage him to drop his price and sell quicker.

I would sell:

Stephens      £7m?

Hoedt           £5m?

Lemina         £7m?

Elyounousi   £7m?

Redmond     £10m?

Obafemi      £5m?

Long           £3m?

Sign:

Minamino      £10m

Walcott         500k (signing fee)

A rightback   £10m

A CB              £15m

A striker        £20m

Be nice to find some money somewhere.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Avenue_Saint said:

I would sell:

Stephens      £7m?

Hoedt           £5m?

Lemina         £7m?

Elyounousi   £7m?

Redmond     £10m?

Obafemi      £5m?

Long           £3m?

Sign:

Minamino      £10m

A rightback   £10m

A CB              £15m

A striker        £20m

Sadly your valuations and expectations of our players are overstated. We won't be able to sell Hoedt, Lemina, Ely, Oba and Long for anything like your valuations. We also need one or even two LB. Put it's a good stake in the ground.

1 hour ago, the saint in winchester said:

Sadly your valuations and expectations of our players are overstated. We won't be able to sell Hoedt, Lemina, Ely, Oba and Long for anything like your valuations. We also need one or even two LB. Put it's a good stake in the ground.

It also easy to forget that transfer fees are the whole expense, signing on fees and agents fees (which also apply to contract renewals) soak up several million a year.

5 hours ago, Avenue_Saint said:

I would sell:

Stephens      £7m?

Hoedt           £5m?

Lemina         £7m?

Elyounousi   £7m?

Redmond     £10m?

Obafemi      £5m?

Long           £3m?

Sign:

Minamino      £10m

A rightback   £10m

A CB              £15m

A striker        £20m

Let me rearrange this for you: 

Stephens      £5m?

Hoedt           £2m?

Lemina         Loan

Elyounousi   Loan

Redmond     £8m?

Obafemi      Loan

Long           nominal

Sign:

Minamino      No

A rightback   Free

A CB              No

A striker        Loan

A center mid 7m

Left Back.     Loan

Sell,

Forster

Mccarthy 

Gunn

Hoedt

Stephens 

Elynoussi

Djnepo 

Redmond

Long

Lemina

Obafemi

Bring in, 

Romero(free)

Savin

Daka 

Moussa Diaby

Rico Henry

Toney (if Ings goes)

Possibly £60m in at a push (without Ings) and spending £80m(without Toney 

Even contemplate selling jwp and bring in Florin Neuhaus 

Yes I'm aware I must be high 

10 minutes ago, stevy777_x said:

Let me rearrange this for you: 

Stephens      £5m?

Hoedt           £2m?

Lemina         Loan

Elyounousi   Loan

Redmond     £8m?

Obafemi      Loan

Long           nominal

Sign:

Minamino      No

A rightback   Free

A CB              No

A striker        Loan

A center mid 7m

Left Back.     Loan

If this season has proven anything, especially given out limited budget, surely it’d be better to keep these around rather send them out on loan and leaving us short if we get an injury? 

1 hour ago, SKD said:

If this season has proven anything, especially given out limited budget, surely it’d be better to keep these around rather send them out on loan and leaving us short if we get an injury? 

Has it?  Would Valery be picked over Jan or Stephens at right back?  

3 minutes ago, notnowcato said:

Has it?  Would Valery be picked over Jan or Stephens at right back?  

Is Valery included in that list? - No. (would he be better than Jan at RB, you could argue either way. Jan has been shocking at RB).

Coulda Lemina, despite being an absolute cock, cover CM, when we had none (or allow JWP/Diallo to go RB) - Yes.

Is Elyounoussi better than some of the youngsters we’ve had to rely on - yes.  

so, yes, I’d say it is better. 

1 hour ago, danjosaint said:

Sell,

Forster

Mccarthy 

Gunn

Hoedt

Stephens 

Elynoussi

Djnepo 

Redmond

Long

Lemina

Obafemi

Bring in, 

Romero(free)

Savin

Daka 

Moussa Diaby

Rico Henry

Toney (if Ings goes)

Daka ;-)

Schitts Creek Yes GIF by CBC

Edited by Convict Colony

59 minutes ago, SKD said:

Is Valery included in that list? - No. (would he be better than Jan at RB, you could argue either way. Jan has been shocking at RB).

Coulda Lemina, despite being an absolute cock, cover CM, when we had none (or allow JWP/Diallo to go RB) - Yes.

Jan hasn't been shocking at right back.  He defends well enough (better than Valery) just that Jan doesn't offer much going forward and neither has Valery of late.

A club our size cannot have a 3rd choice for a position in our squad.  2 DMs should mean 4 in the squad; JWP, Diallo, Romeu, Smallbone, Jankewitz are 5 so unless you want cock Lemina getting in the way of Will and Alex you'd have to say no thanks Mario, jog on.

Same goes for Ely, our 4 AMs at the start of the season; Theo, Nathan, Armstrong, Moussa - now added to with Mina and the emerging Tella - adding Ely makes 7 and would you want Ely blocking Tella's path?  Or given our budget restraints should we ship him up Glasgow?  

The season is too condensed, we've picked up an unprecedented number of injuries.  Players that have proven themselves not really up to playing in the top league should be allowed to play elsewhere and let those teams contribute towards their wages, rather than sit here in the off chance of playing in a game we know there not really up to or they block the path of a younger player.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SKD said:

We cant afford to keep Lemina / Elyounoussi. Id guess the majroity of their wages are being paid plus a loan fee. We can't afford to have someone like Lemina sat playing 2/3 games a season picking up £80K a week.

1 hour ago, notnowcato said:

Jan hasn't been shocking at right back.  He defends well enough (better than Valery) just that Jan doesn't offer much going forward and neither has Valery of late.

A club our size cannot have a 3rd choice for a position in our squad.  2 DMs should mean 4 in the squad; JWP, Diallo, Romeu, Smallbone, Jankewitz are 5 so unless you want cock Lemina getting in the way of Will and Alex you'd have to say no thanks Mario, jog on.

Same goes for Ely, our 4 AMs at the start of the season; Theo, Nathan, Armstrong, Moussa - now added to with Mina and the emerging Tella - adding Ely makes 7 and would you want Ely blocking Tella's path?  Or given our budget restraints should we ship him up Glasgow?  

The season is too condensed, we've picked up an unprecedented number of injuries.  Players that have proven themselves not really up to playing in the top league should be allowed to play elsewhere and let those teams contribute towards their wages, rather than sit here in the off chance of playing in a game we know there not really up to or they block the path of a younger player.

I disagree about Jan, Raphina absolutely tore his arsehole out defensively and he offers nothing going forward. Hard to argue when you look at our record with KWP not playing.  Valery certainly isn’t the answer, though. We agree on that. 

I don’t buy all of this blocking path nonsense. Ultimately, if you’re good enough you’ll get a chance. Id say 1 maybe 2 of our youngsters will be good enough (Tella looks handy).

The trouble we have had this season is our squad depth isn’t deep enough, lads who clearly aren’t good enough (Nlundulu, for example) are being thrown in as we have no other options. Ralph himself has said our squad isn’t deep enough. 

I’ve not seen anything from Smallbone to suggest he’s ready to play in the no6 role for a premier league club. Likewise with Jantewiz, and same with Ralph I’m guessing which is why he’d rather play Armstrong there. 

A player like Lemina or Elyounossi would cost £10m in transfer fee + 50k in salary, so if we want a deeper squad, then it would be cheaper to keep them then buy a replacement (if we loan them out). Id rather either of those, who have top league and Champions league experience, coming on than that young lad Watts. 

I’m not suggesting long term answer and we can sell, then get shot ASAP and reinvest to improve. But if we’re shipping out on loan to save a few quid on wages and weakening ourselves in the process, then that’s just stupid. 

Edited by SKD

21 minutes ago, SKD said:

I disagree about Jan, Raphina absolutely tore his arsehole out defensively and he offers nothing going forward. Hard to argue when you look at our record with KWP not playing.  Valery certainly isn’t the answer, though. We agree on that. 

I don’t buy all of this blocking path nonsense. Ultimately, if you’re good enough you’ll get a chance. Id say 1 maybe 2 of our youngsters will be good enough (Tella looks handy).

The trouble we have had this season is our squad depth isn’t deep enough, lads who clearly aren’t good enough (Nlundulu, for example) are being thrown in as we have no other options. Ralph himself has said our squad isn’t deep enough. 

I’ve not seen anything from Smallbone to suggest he’s ready to play in the no6 role for a premier league club. Likewise with Jantewiz, and same with Ralph I’m guessing which is why he’d rather play Armstrong there. 

A player like Lemina or Elyounossi would cost £10m in transfer fee + 50k in salary, so if we want a deeper squad, then it would be cheaper to keep them then buy a replacement (if we loan them out). Id rather either of those, who have top league and Champions league experience, coming on than that young lad Watts. 

I’m not suggesting long term answer and we can sell, then get shot ASAP and reinvest to improve. But if we’re shipping out on loan to save a few quid on wages and weakening ourselves in the process, then that’s just stupid. 

This whole blocking the pathway is a load of bollocks. The harsh reality is as a premier league club if you get one player as a first team regular every 2-3 years from the academy that is pretty successful. It always amuses me how people pull the blocking the pathway line out, using it as a reason not to bring someone in in case it stops xyz getting a chance. The truth is The good ones will make themselves impossible to leave out even just as an option off the bench, especially with so many allowed on the bench these days. Look at Tella, you’d have him as part of the match day squad every week right now, arguably you could make a case for him to start ahead of Redmond whereas N’Dulududulduudlududd you’d struggle to make a case for him to be part of the squad when Obafemi is fit. 

• Like 1

It's not going to be a sellers market this summer, so we'd have to sell cheap to generate any money to spend. That is Gao's mantra (sell to generate funds to buy), and unless he somehow sells the club, we are facing hitting the wall this summer. How long will Ralph sit looking at an empty wallet? He may well move on.

Not trying to be pessimistic, just realistic.

Edited by the saint in winchester

Blocking pathway isn't bollocks when you're talking about the 3rd player for a position.  I'd much rather have Alex Janke wishing to prove himself in the squad, knowing there are 2 players ahead of him for the team than spending £10m on Mario Lemina and paying that cock £50K a week for him to play 2 or 3 times a season. 

There seems to be a misconception about what a pathway is.   The pathway doesn't have to ultimately end with the academy player being a first team regular for us.  The player could move to another club in the premier league such as Targett or Reed.  Or they may end up having to drop down the leagues to forge a professional career, which is where Vokins and Valery will probably have to go.  The pathway has still worked for Vokins and Valery.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, the saint in winchester said:

It's not going to be a sellers market this summer, so we'd have to sell cheap to generate any money to spend. That is Gao's mantra (sell to generate funds to buy), and unless he somehow sells the club, we are facing hitting the wall this summer. How long will Ralph sit looking at an empty wallet? He may well move on.

It is also the King Power mantra. Somehow that isn't a problem for Leicester.

2 hours ago, notnowcato said:

Smallbone isn't a DM and Jankewitz only started being considered for the squad a handful of games ago.

3 hours ago, the saint in winchester said:

The prices we can set for our players should fall in line with the market. So although someone like Ings might go for a low fee which makes us feel queasy, there will be tons of clubs in the Netherlands, France etc who have rough gems and are desperate to raise some cash, allowing us to pick up some bargains

8 hours ago, danjosaint said:

Sell,

Forster

Mccarthy 

Gunn

Hoedt

Stephens 

Elynoussi

Djnepo 

Redmond

Long

Lemina

Obafemi

Bring in, 

Romero(free)

Savin

Daka 

Moussa Diaby

Rico Henry

Toney (if Ings goes)

Even if we did want to sell all those(some of which i'd disagree on anyway) we'll be lucky to sell 1 or 2 of them. We'll be lucky to get rid of one of the keepers, so thinking of bringing in more is fanciful.

7 hours ago, Cartman said:

It is also the King Power mantra. Somehow that isn't a problem for Leicester.

We wanked the VVD money on poor players and Leicester didn't waste their Maguire money and bought good players. Think that's been the big difference between the similar ways of running each club over the last few years.

• Like 2