Everton vs Saints - Match Thread

Chapel End

11 minutes ago, Mr X said:

One point in 27 who would keep their job after that? 

In 15/16 Koeman went through a run of 4 points from a possible 27. Overall, we only had one win in 10, the somewhat improbable 4-0 over Arsenal. That run also included the 6-1 thrashing from Liverpool in the league cup.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

4 minutes ago, Heisenberg said:

1 point from 27 ouch!! WTF has happened to us? 😬

bit out of touch on the SWF rules.... do we still laugh at West Ham and Everton? 

I try to look at the positive side. It's actually 4 points from 30.
4 points since the start of the year. What a fucking joke. If we'd got 4 points from our first 10 games of the season there'd absolutely no way Ralph would still have a job.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Lallana's Left Peg said:

We're not going down, I think there are at least 6 teams worse than us in this division.  But I don't know for how much longer that will be the case over the course of the next few years.  We haven't got any money, we don't spend any money, and we don't produce players other teams want to generate money.  Eventually that slow rotting will cost us and we'll fall out of the division.  It won't be a shock, its entirely inevitable and its a slow and painful death.

6 teams worse than us? Are you sure? Think we’re comfortably the biggest pushovers at the moment. It’s getting very worrying. And bizarre selections/tactics aren’t helping. 

• Like 1

Just now, Sidney Fudpucker the 3rd said:

I try to look at the positive side. It's actually 4 points from 30.
4 points since the start of the year. What a fucking joke. If we'd got 4 points from our first 10 games of the season there'd absolutely no way Ralph would still have a job.

I started laughing at "positive "  because after that I knew the rest would be bollocks 

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, StrangelyBrown said:

I've defended Redmond in the past, but that performance redefined shit for me.

Ings was also abysmal again - just playing for himself. I'm just not sure who we play instead of him?

Positives were Forster, Tella (who has to start next time), JWP, Djenepo and for once us growing into the game in the second half.

We keep coming up against sides who do the darker side (diving, niggling fouls, etc) so much better than us (Everton, poor brave Leeds, Wolves, Leicester) - although I hate saying so it's time to become a bit more nasty and to take more opportunities to win freekicks - we're far too honest at the moment.

No mention of Armstrong in the positives - what game were you watching, the guy played out of his skin.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, BotleySaint said:

There were definitely some positives from the performance today.

We could easily have nicked the point. How Everton made it through with no yellows is defies belief.

The next 6 league games

Sheff Utd
Man City
Brighton
Burnley
West Brom
Palace

Surely we can get 3-5 points from that lot?

If we only get 3 points, although an improvement, its still relegation form. 

8 minutes ago, macca155 said:

Bendarek at RB will never work, Ralph has to find a better solution.

The horrible truth is that Ancelloti knew we were weak and sent out a weakened team. It worked, he has fresher players next week.

Armstrong excellent, Redmond just shot of confidence. Tella can play in his position, that should be the change.

Blue line, move on, Ramsey at RB for Utd.

All about survival now and then rebuild for next year. 

“Redmond just short of confidence”

Are you joking? He’s short of skill, bravery, nous, direction, intelligence, ability, wherewithal and aggression. Other than that he’s my first choice. He’s been shite for two years now but Ralph can’t see it. 

• Like 8

Just now, Fitzhugh Fella said:

Are you joking? He’s short of skill, bravery, nous, direction, intelligence, ability, wherewithal and aggression. Other than that he’s my first choice. He’s been shite for two years now but Ralph can’t see it. 

He's been shit ever since he's been here tbh, bar a little purple patch in 2018. Really dreadful football player. We'd be a much better team without him in it or in the squad.

Says it all when he's pulled from the pitch when we're chasing the game.

• Like 4

Just now, S-Clarke said:

He's been shit ever since he's been here tbh, bar a little purple patch in 2018. Really dreadful football player. We'd be a much better team without him in it or in the squad.

He was terrible tonight that's for sure 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Fitzhugh Fella said:

Why is he the only player who can't get injured ? At least Ralph couldn't pick him then.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Fitzhugh Fella said:

I was being kind. He had a terrible game but I don't think slagging our players helps.

Doubt you'll get many disagreements.

Edited by macca155
  • Haha 1

1. Do people honestly still think we'll stay up? If so, how? We don't even be able to pick up points in the games that look winnable on paper. 

2. If we do stay up, what do people honestly think is going to happen next season? 

If we don't go down this year, then we're definitely going next year. This club is fucked. 

Edited by Sidney Fudpucker the 3rd
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, LaptopSaint said:

We were crap, and they were only marginally better.

Armstrong and Tella the only bright sparks. Tella ahead of Redmond all day against Sheffield, and why not give N’lundulu a start up top because Che wouldn’t score at the moment if we played them twice. 
Maybe Minamino and/or Diallo will be back cos we need a spark from somewhere. 

Still think we’ll make 40 points easily, but something has gone badly wrong in ‘21. 

Thought JWP and Moussa gave it everything. Hard to criticise the front two, they had nothing to work with. 

• Like 2

Just now, S-Clarke said:

Agree. Sucks the life out of every attack. Loses the ball so much. Can’t shoot. Can’t head. Can’t defend. Can run up his arse. What does Ralph see?

• Like 3

I think I noticed a couple of differences between the two teams.

When we got a corner or a free kick, Everton used a tactic known as DEFENDING. When they got a corner or free kick.....WE DIDN'T.

When Everton passed the ball it more often than not went to an Everton player. This obviously confused Redmond, because when he passed the ball it also went to an Everton player.

Bertrand was also confused. He obviously thought we were winning, because every time he got the ball, he would stop and waste a few seconds before eventually....pause.....after a few seconds.....pause.....he would......pause......pass it backwards.

Bednarek was like a fish up a chimney at right back. He looked better when he moved back to the middle.

The only positives were Armstrong who I thought was our best player by a mile and I also thought Djenepo gave his all again as well.

In summing up though, I think it is fair to say, it was definitely Jack Stephens' fault!!!!

Edited by Saint Keef
typo
  • Like 3

Just now, Sidney Fudpucker the 3rd said:

1. Do people honestly still think we'll stay up?

2. If we do stay up, what do people honestly think is going to happen next season? 

If we don't go down this year, then we're definitely going next year. This club is fucked. 

1) Yes

2) Good start dodgy mid season, iffy finish to end up in lower mid table. A good run in one of the cups. ( And hopefully get rid of Gao ).

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Sidney Fudpucker the 3rd said:

1. Do people honestly still think we'll stay up? If so, how? We don't even be able to pick up points in the games that look winnable on paper. 

Yes we are going to stay up.

• Like 1

Just now, Chapel End said:

He was terrible tonight that's for sure 

As a senior player, Redmond should be pulling up trees to get us back into games, instead he wanders around the pitch, never hunting for the ball, if his shorts had pockets am sure his hands would be in them. Much the same for Bertrand, I used to really rate him, but since the turn of the year, maybe longer, he hasn't been interested either. I think the club aren't renewing his deal and he knows it. Despite all the shit about him wanting to end his career here

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sidney Fudpucker the 3rd said:

1. Do people honestly still think we'll stay up?

It might feel like that, but we shouldn’t go down. If we start next season with a fully fit squad we would be ok. Who knows, we may have an owner with some cash, we may sell Ings and spend the money well. It’s a terrible run, but it’s not terminal 

• Like 1

Ralph:

It is not a good story today. First chance was a goal. Long ball we don’t defend it but good run from Richy from him, its a strength for them he scored like this against Liverpool and we couldnt defend that way in this moment.

we had few chances from set piece but our problem in this moment is we cannot score. In the one v one, the last chance, the 1 v 1 duels is not strong enough at this moment and that is why we are struggling. 

In the 2nd half we tried a lot, we had a good second half and the three young players did what they could in this moment. The positive for me is Stuey can play a 6 as Oriol is out for rest of season. this gives me hope.

Moussa is not a right back but what can we do.

I’m not so disappointed today because we tried so hard today. Its not so easy to find same level with injuries but we tried and guys did okay in second half. As i say, goals are missing in this moment and its tough to win games.

We took risks in last 10 minutes and we tried but theres always a leg in between or keeper makes save. This is problem in a moment but we need to work to make our luck. 

This was one of the best 2nd halves in last 10 games but we know its difficult to win games, 

at this moment we know if we don’t win but also it shows what a season it is when we have 30 pts and we are still up there and not bottom but we know it is always a fight to the end. 

• Like 1

Bednarek is a liability at rb.

why not just start with Djenepo at wing back. You ended up that way anyway Ralph?

surely you must see Redmond is shit. Why do you keep playing him?

pray to God KwP and Diallo are back at weekend. 

play Armstrong and Mousa on wings and play Minamino who can finish up top.

2 minutes ago, DT said:

Mark Hughes giving managerial advice on how to win games. Irony meter just exploded. 

Are we still paying him? 

Sack Ralph and bring him back, revive the song about "going to keep us up, win the FA Cup " 

His inspired leadership leading the players off the coach and walking to the ground at Swansea kept us up. 

• Confused 1

10 minutes ago, The Cat said:

Don't get me wrong, we weren't great but neither we we the car crash we have been.

Armstrong easily our best player. 

Agree with this.  We battled it out strongly and Vestergaard and maybe Djenepo could/should have rescued a point late on.    Both the midfielders did well - Armstrong with his strong, direct running and Ward-Prowse with work rate and passing range.   Have to join the chorus questioning Redmond's continued presence in the team - he just doesn't have the touch/control or the Footballing nous to be remain in the side....I'm not convinced that Tella is the answer either!      There were hopeful signs tonight and with Diallo and KWP back the points needed will surely start to tick over.

21 minutes ago, bpsaint said:

He makes a fair point tbh. That is embarrassingly bad form and managers have been sacked for far less.

Yes, but why be so selective and only choose the losses?

The real picture is 30 points from 26 games. The same manager had tremendous form only a couple of months ago.

• Like 1

Just now, badgerx16 said:

And presumably he doesn't put in enough work in training to get a soft tissue strain.

Oh in training he’s Fucking dynamite, but then if Ralph has told them to watch the training contacts due to injuries, he’s going to look the dogs doo-daas with none of his team mate vaguely easin* him off the ball - job done first pick on the team sheet.

🙄

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

As a senior player, Redmond should be pulling up trees to get us back into games, instead he wanders around the pitch, never hunting for the ball, if his shorts had pockets am sure his hands would be in them. Much the same for Bertrand, I used to really rate him, but since the turn of the year, maybe longer, he hasn't been interested either. I think the club aren't renewing his deal and he knows it. Despite all the shit about him wanting to end his career here

Based on body language neither of them look like they want to be out there playing. 

For me Redmond is a sad story really, it's not happening for him and he knows it, I've genuinely never see a player so devoid of belief, remember Pep praising him as one of the best. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, JRM said:

Based on body language neither of them look like they want to be out there playing. 

For me Redmond is a sad story really, it's not happening for him and he knows it, I've genuinely never see a player so devoid of belief, remember Pep praising him as one of the best. 

That was literally Pep blowing smoke up his arse. 
He has always been an average lower half PL player and that’s exactly where we are in the table.

1 minute ago, JRM said:

Tbf it was pep who made him this way IMO ... that day pep confronted him on the pitch Redmond has questioned himself ever since ! He didn’t stand up or kick on from encouragement from a great manager ,he saw it as I’m not good enough I can’t do this .

• Haha 1
  • Confused 2

11 minutes ago, nta786 said:

Ralph:

It is not a good story today. First chance was a goal. Long ball we don’t defend it but good run from Richy from him, its a strength for them he scored like this against Liverpool and we couldnt defend that way in this moment.

we had few chances from set piece but our problem in this moment is we cannot score. In the one v one, the last chance, the 1 v 1 duels is not strong enough at this moment and that is why we are struggling. 

In the 2nd half we tried a lot, we had a good second half and the three young players did what they could in this moment. The positive for me is Stuey can play a 6 as Oriol is out for rest of season. this gives me hope.

Moussa is not a right back but what can we do.

I’m not so disappointed today because we tried so hard today. Its not so easy to find same level with injuries but we tried and guys did okay in second half. As i say, goals are missing in this moment and its tough to win games.

We took risks in last 10 minutes and we tried but theres always a leg in between or keeper makes save. This is problem in a moment but we need to work to make our luck. 

This was one of the best 2nd halves in last 10 games but we know its difficult to win games, 

at this moment we know if we don’t win but also it shows what a season it is when we have 30 pts and we are still up there and not bottom but we know it is always a fight to the end. 

Maybe play the right back sitting on the fucking bench?? 

• Like 4

Just now, Norm said:

Ralf, “We took risks in last 10 minutes “. Wow, the last 10 minutes. I’m amazed he actually said that, really am.

Herein lies one of our problems. With 3 points for a win and only one for a draw you have to take risks all through games.  Not a clever thing for the manager to admit.

Playing a CB at right back has really killed us. Not only does it make us vulnerable against pacy wingers, but we offer next to nothing going forward. KWP was having a wonderful season. We haven't just lost a little quality and balance, we've lost a huge piece of what made us good. I have no answer to that problem. When is KWP going to be back? 

We really need Ings to find another goal or two out of nowhere. We create little. I am not sure we ever did create a lot, but he seemed to find a yard and a finish from somewhere. Without those goals and the set piece goals where  are we going to get goals from?

• Like 3

I don't want to cast all the blame on Redmond for another loss, but my god, it seems that most of our attacking play breaks down when it gets to Redmond.

A slightly better effort in the second half but overall yet another toothless display. It does seem that unless we get a free kick that JWP  might dispatch we have no chance of getting a result.

• Like 6

9 minutes ago, Teddeer said:

Herein lies one of our problems. With 3 points for a win and only one for a draw you have to take risks all through games.  Not a clever thing for the manager to admit.

Not sure I agree with that actually. When I saw the team I thought it looked very lightweight and it struck me that Ralph was hoping to stick to his (footballing) principles and just picked players who would most likely manage to deploy our 'forward' pressing. However the risk is with that approach you're likely to leave yourself open. Perhaps at the moment, especially away from home against a side doing well in Everton (even if they're not actually that good), we would be better off taking fewer risks and keeping it tight. Making ourselves hard to beat and trying to nick a goal. Obviously at some point in the game you do need to be more adventurous, and fair enough to say we should have done so earlier, but with a side low on confidence, I'm not sure 'risk taking' from the start is actually the right approach.

Edited by mrfahaji
  • Like 2