Everton vs Saints - Match Thread

Chapel End

Just now, BotleySaint said:

There were definitely some positives from the performance today.

We could easily have nicked the point. How Everton made it through with no yellows is defies belief.

The next 6 league games

Sheff Utd
Man City
Brighton
Burnley
West Brom
Palace

Surely we can get 3-5 points from that lot?

I'm sure we will, just need to get a win off of someone's backside to stop this rot. Feels a bit of a mental block once we get into the final third as well.

But this season will now be worse than last year, which is incredibly disappointing I think.

1 minute ago, BotleySaint said:

There were definitely some positives from the performance today.

We could easily have nicked the point. How Everton made it through with no yellows is defies belief.

The next 6 league games

Sheff Utd
Man City
Brighton
Burnley
West Brom
Palace

Surely we can get 3-5 points from that lot?

All winnable apart from City. 

We have to pray that Diallo and Walker Peters are back. And that someone tells Ralph that Redmond doesn’t have any incriminating photos of him after all, so he can be dropped. 
positives: Tella, Forster much more assured,  Djenepo’s heart, Armstrong’s energy. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Uncle Albert said:

Fuck off Nathan Redmond, some of his pratting around is costing us good chances.

He looks like he really doesn't want the ball to me, Ralph should do him a favour and give him a couple of weeks off. 

Armstrong put in a great shift. 

Djenepo and Vestergaard should have taken chances. 

Our side towards the drop continues. One win in how many now? 

Goals scored in 2nd half is unbelievable stat!! 

1 minute ago, CB Fry said:

We didn't deserve a point from that because we created pretty much nothing.

All that happened is Everton pissed away the opportunity to beat us more easily.

I don't buy that. If we were that easy to score against they would have done, but they barely had a shot. Forster had no saves to make.

Considering how crap we have been it was relatively encouraging that we kept them to scraps. Other than the goal they didn't really do anything apart from an offside goal which doesn't count.

• Like 1

Bendarek at RB will never work, Ralph has to find a better solution.

The horrible truth is that Ancelloti knew we were weak and sent out a weakened team. It worked, he has fresher players next week.

Armstrong excellent, Redmond just shot of confidence. Tella can play in his position, that should be the change.

Blue line, move on, Ramsey at RB for Utd.

All about survival now and then rebuild for next year. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, The Cat said:

We actually played ok second half.

The whole "overrun in midfield" theory was blown out of the water because Armstrong and Ward Prowse have been more than competitive. 

Probably deserved a point by the end. Vestergaard unlucky that he slipped when shooting. 

Last 10 minutes maybe. Too little too late. 89th minute before we actually test the keeper lol. Everton wont have an easier 1-0 win than that. They didnt even have to be any good to beat us.

For the amount of free kicks and corner kicks we had, cant remember us winning one cross

Armstrong absolutely superb, Forster didnt do anything wrong, JWP and Vestergaard did well. Everyone else - pure pish

• Like 1

Armstrong aside that was a shocking 85 minutes. We actually looked half decent for the last 10 but unsurprisingly a lack of composure cost us.

I certainly wouldn't be bothered if Redmond didn't put a Saints shirt on again - how many opportunities has he had? Time to ship him out. 

I've defended Redmond in the past, but that performance redefined shit for me.

Ings was also abysmal again - just playing for himself. I'm just not sure who we play instead of him?

Positives were Forster, Tella (who has to start next time), JWP, Djenepo and for once us growing into the game in the second half.

We keep coming up against sides who do the darker side (diving, niggling fouls, etc) so much better than us (Everton, poor brave Leeds, Wolves, Leicester) - although I hate saying so it's time to become a bit more nasty and to take more opportunities to win freekicks - we're far too honest at the moment.

2 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

I'm sure we will, just need to get a win off of someone's backside to stop this rot. Feels a bit of a mental block once we get into the final third as well.

But this season will now be worse than last year, which is incredibly disappointing I think.

This. Everton shaded it, small margins prevented us getting a point or more. If we can dig out a result from somewhere we'll stop the rot.

• Like 2

Just now, macca155 said:

Bendarek at RB will never work, Ralph has to find a better solution.

The horrible truth is that Ancelloti knew we were weak and sent out a weakened team. It worked, he has fresher players next week.

Armstrong excellent, Redmond just shot of confidence. Tella can play in his position, that should be the change.

Blue line, move on, Ramsey at RB for Utd.

All about survival now and then rebuild for next year. 

I don't think it's fair to say that's a weakened team tbh. Not even close.

• Like 1

At least they upped it a bit at the end, albeit for only about 5 minutes. Armstrong is the only one who can really hold his head high. Redmond is just a waste of a shirt at the moment - I think he literally gave the ball away every time he touched it. Just runs into people and hands it to them. One shot in the whole match is pathetic but it is not like we don't all know this is a problem. You would think they might work on this a bit in training. Wonder what they do work on?

That wasn't horrible. That in itself is progress. 

Everton are a good side and we were undone by a single moment. We are low on confidence, nothing has been going for us and the VAR decision going our way clearly made a massive impact on our mentality. From that moment in, although we didn't breach Everton we started looking more cohessive. 

Saturday is massive. It is time to push on. 

• Like 1

Personally I’d ditch the coaching set up.. get someone in alongside Ralph. Nigel Adkins I always though was tactically pretty astute. If we don’t beat Sheffield United on Saturday I truly believe we are really in the mire. Also I’d actually play moussa up front, he’s the one not player in our team who can generally beat At opponent. Adams looked terrible tonight, May as well have kept Shane long 🤦‍♂️

• Like 1

1 minute ago, woodsaint1 said:

Last 10 minutes maybe. Too little too late. 89th minute before we actually test the keeper lol. Everton wont have an easier 1-0 win than that. They didnt even have to be any good to beat us.

For the amount of free kicks and corner kicks we had, cant remember us winning one cross

Armstrong absolutely superb, Forster didnt do anything wrong, JWP and Vestergaard did well. Everyone else - pure pish

Don't get me wrong, we weren't great but neither we we the car crash we have been.

Armstrong easily our best player. 

Just now, madge said:

Personally I’d ditch the coaching set up.. get someone in alongside Ralph. Nigel Adkins I always though was tactically pretty astute. If we don’t beat Sheffield United on Saturday I truly believe we are really in the mire. Also I’d actually play moussa up front, he’s the one not player in our team who can generally beat At opponent. Adams looked terrible tonight, May as well have kept Shane long 🤦‍♂️

I've never been sure what Kelvins attributes are, apart from being one of the lads. 

• Haha 2

Never thought I would say this but Ralph has to go. Yes we have injuries but even those regular first team players look totally clueless. The football is simply awful, if you wanna kid yourself that it's not go ahead. He continually makes poor selections, poor subs. Stands on the side shaking his head but he is the one that has been training in this boring, slow, sideways, backwards football. Everton didn't even need to break sweat this evening to win that game. I dont consider myself to be a bed wetter but we are heading down in my humble opinion. Cant score. Cant defend. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, woodsaint1 said:

I  found it frustating against a big team like everton we didn't try anything different on at least one of the set pieces.

Just now, Chris cooper said:

Need atleast a point on Saturday or I think it’s definitely squeaky bum time..we are weak from back to front .alarming how our heads have gone !

A point? that's got to be a win, absolute 3 points. No argument. Need to stop the rot in that game before we go to City.

We were crap, and they were only marginally better.

Armstrong and Tella the only bright sparks. Tella ahead of Redmond all day against Sheffield, and why not give N’lundulu a start up top because Che wouldn’t score at the moment if we played them twice. 
Maybe Minamino and/or Diallo will be back cos we need a spark from somewhere. 

Still think we’ll make 40 points easily, but something has gone badly wrong in ‘21. 

• Confused 1

Boring. As soon as we went behind it was obvious we were done. Apart from a brief period after the disallowed goal where we actually moved the ball around with some pace, we offered nothing.

Is the game plan flawed or our players fucking thick? Coz we start running at the defence and passing quickly and it opens up for us... but a minute later we’re back to slowly knocking it backwards to JWP in our half again.

1 minute ago, saintbenny said:

Never thought I would say this but Ralph has to go. Yes we have injuries but even those regular first team players look totally clueless. The football is simply awful, if you wanna kid yourself that it's not go ahead. He continually makes poor selections, poor subs. Stands on the side shaking his head but he is the one that has been training in this boring, slow, sideways, backwards football. Everton didn't even need to break sweat this evening to win that game. I dont consider myself to be a bed wetter but we are heading down in my humble opinion. Cant score. Cant defend. 

And get who exactly 

Anyone back for weekend? If we can get KWP in at RB and Diallo in centre mid that’ll be a big lift. Armstrong can go back to his strongest position then.

Ings isn’t even getting scraps to feed on. When’s Theo back??

Armstrong is the only player Willy to continually run at the opposition causing them problems.

He was a cut above anyone else today especially considering he was playing out of position.

Redmond was a waste of a shirt and Adams  wasn’t much better.

God knows where our next goal is coming from but on to the next one

• Like 1

Just now, saintbenny said:

We're not going down, I think there are at least 6 teams worse than us in this division.  But I don't know for how much longer that will be the case over the course of the next few years.  We haven't got any money, we don't spend any money, and we don't produce players other teams want to generate money.  Eventually that slow rotting will cost us and we'll fall out of the division.  It won't be a shock, its entirely inevitable and its a slow and painful death.

• Like 1

Too little too late and Ralph was not brave enough to make a change at half time when he should have taken Redmond off. Even then we probably deserved at least a point out of that because Everton didn't play much football and spent most of the game conning free kicks out of Atkinson. Armstrong was absolutely superb for the whole game and ran himself into the ground. Salisu is going to have to toughen up if he wants to make a living in this league. He's a big unit and shouldn't be whinging when he gets a slight pat from a flying hand. We really should have taken a few risks and got more bodies forward because there was nothing to beat there tonight and we were just too timid. That's got to be down to Ralph's tactics.  On to Sheff Utd where we must take the game to them and go for the 3 points.

• Like 3

Just now, Lallana's Left Peg said:

We're not going down, I think there are at least 6 teams worse than us in this division.  But I don't know for how much longer that will be the case over the course of the next few years.  We haven't got any money, we don't spend any money, and we don't produce players other teams want to generate money.  Eventually that slow rotting will cost us and we'll fall out of the division.  It won't be a shock, its entirely inevitable and its a slow and painful death.

True but probably not on current form 

Just now, Teddeer said:

Too little too late and Ralph was not brave enough to make a change at half time when he should have taken Redmond off. Even then we probably deserved at least a point out of that because Everton didn't play much football and spent most of the game conning free kicks out of Atkinson. Armstrong was absolutely superb for the whole game and ran himself into the ground. Salisu is going to have to toughen up if he wants to make a living in this league. He's a big unit and shouldn't be whinging when he gets a slight pat from a flying hand. We really should have taken a few risks and got more bodies forward because there was nothing to beat there tonight and we were just too timid. That's got to be down to Ralph's tactics.  On to Sheff Utd where we must take the game to them and go for the 3 points.

Totally agree. I thought he has pathetic doing that.