Everton vs Saints - Match Thread

Chapel End

It's not a line up that screams "keep it tight and see if we can nick one from the scraps" which is the approach I would have gone for.

Instead we've gone for all out attack, leave loads of gaps, concede multiple goals but hang the whole defeat on some refereeing or VAR injustice giving the manager and team a lovely little get out of jail card.

Edited by CB Fry
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

It's not a line up that screams "keep it tight and see if we can nick one from the scraps" which is the approach I would have gone for.

Instead we've gone for all out attack, leave loads of gaps, concede multiple goals but hang the whole defeat on some refereeing or VAR injustice giving the manager and team a lovely little get out of jail card.

Yeah 🙄 its all done

Edited by Chapel End

1 minute ago, CB Fry said:

Exactly this 

Let's be fair this is a fixture that few of us expect anything from and history shows this is one of our least happy hunting grounds. If we give them a game I'll be satisfied, if we scrap a point I'll be delighted and if we somehow come away with a win I'll be ecstatic but totally gobsmacked.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

Ha, completely agree, but I'm not sure we've got the available players to keep anything tight at the moment.

Sorry the manager has screwed up again with his team selection. Tella is preferable to Redmond, Ramsay, good enough for a new contract still can’t oust a central defender at right back and Armstrong as a central holding midfielder is wrong and a waste. I hope I will be proved wrong but I genuinely think we are beaten before we start and that’s just not good management. 

• Like 1

This is a good place to come if you need a lift. Honestly, let's hope the players haven't given up as well as this forum 

Perhaps Ralf should get a poll put up to pick the team as everyone knows best on here

Edited by Chapel End

5 minutes ago, Archers Road Stand said:

Fucking pointless giving Ramsay a new deal yesterday. He clearly isn't rated by the manager. 

Why does a new contract for a 20 year old mean he should start ahead of an experienced international defender (albeit a centre back out of position)? 

Edited by Matthew Le God

Just now, Mr Brightside said:

If they don't get picked when we have no one else available in their positions, when will they? By all accounts, both are decent prospects, so lets given them another go.

Probably when they are a bit older, not sure another 9-0 would be great for their development.

Not a fan of that line up. I'm guessing it's the same system that hasn't worked recently. If it's not, it can only be Redmond or Djenepo as a wing back which wouldn't be too clever either. 

If we're going 4222 I'd have been happier with Armstrong as a 10 and Jankewitz in midfield. 

Whatever, it is it what it is. 

COYS. 

3 minutes ago, Teddeer said:

If it's any consolation the Everton fans are going apeshit at their selected eleven and bench 🤣

I did wonder where James is, but then they have a game on Thursday so they've got to rotate their squad.

They have a very strong midfield and I'm not sure how we can control that area with that 11.

It feels very much like a hare-em-scare-em approach where we just attack and hope for the best/fraser wonder match.

Just now, Chapel End said:

Our next manager is in the Sky studio 😉

He's eying up the squad. I'm surprised he hasn't mentioned how he brought in Armstrong/Vestegaard etc. He doesn't seem to have anything decent to add to the debate does he?

He was asked quite clearly what had gone wrong for us, I'd think it was quite obvious - injuries/suspensions/squad depth.  ''I'm not sure'' was his response.

5 minutes ago, aintforever said:

Probably when they are a bit older, not sure another 9-0 would be great for their development.

I see your point. But on the flip side, I think Jankewitz needs to play again soon, give him a chance to redeem himself, otherwise can only see his development going the wrong way as it'll look like he's blown his chance which is a bit harsh. Also, harsh for Ramsay, what a horrible debut (think it was his debut), can't put much blame at his door for that and he too needs to play again soon. IMO.

5 minutes ago, egg said:

Not a fan of that line up. I'm guessing it's the same system that hasn't worked recently. If it's not, it can only be Redmond or Djenepo as a wing back which wouldn't be too clever either. 

If we're going 4222 I'd have been happier with Armstrong as a 10 and Jankewitz in midfield. 

Whatever, it is it what it is. 

COYS. 

However badly it plays it will not be down to world class Ralph but Gao and Reed

Just now, S-Clarke said:

He's eying up the squad. I'm surprised he hasn't mentioned how he brought in Armstrong/Vestegaard etc. He doesn't seem to have anything decent to add to the debate does he?

He was asked quite clearly what had gone wrong for us, I'd think it was quite obvious - injuries/suspensions/squad depth.  ''I'm not sure'' was his response.

Yep but sadly if we lose Ralf he is the standard we will get lumbered with

Just now, whelk said:

However badly it plays it will not be down to world class Ralph but Gao and Reed

My view is today he had a clear choice to go with Jankewitz in my opinion, so if this goes tits up in central midfield then he has some questions to answer.

• Like 3

Just now, davefizzy14 said:

I'm surprised both Kayne and Jankewitz don't start. In Ralph we trust :)

Yeah got very little wrong the last few games. Hopefully we’ll lose this one so Real Madrid’s interest cools.

1 minute ago, SaintZamboni said:

I would like to think we’re going to play 343. Give the centre backs some time to gel and make sure there’s someone up top if Che is holding the ball up.

not feeling so doom and gloom as everyone else apparently

You are in wrong place then mate 

• Like 1

Just now, SaintZamboni said:

I would like to think we’re going to play 343. Give the centre backs some time to gel and make sure there’s someone up top if Che is holding the ball up.

not feeling so doom and gloom as everyone else apparently

It could be anything really. I reckon, just a guess, Moussa RWB, Bertrand LWB.

Redmond in a roaming role in between the midfield and Ings/Adams IMO.

Armstrong slightly ahead of JWP.

Feels dodgy to me however we play it. Not enough in CM.

• Lighthouse changed the title to Everton vs Saints - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic