Everton vs Saints - Match Thread

Chapel End

I don't think either team have played that well to be fair, lacking in real quality from either side.

Ings has been leading from the front for us, pressing, forcing errors, winning it back etc. He has been everywhere and it's been good to see.

Other than that, our attack has been a non-event.

I think Jan has looked like a fish out of water at right back, he doesn't have a clue what to do when he's faced with the ball in front of him, absolutely no idea. That in turn is making us completely lopsided, which is a major issue because our left side is inept. So we are fully reliant on play through the middle in this one.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, trousers said:

Why can't professional footballers get something as simple as passing the ball to a team mate right?

You wouldn't get on a plane if the pilot was equally unprofessional

At least planes have wings

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, saint michael said:

Should be interesting HT talk from Ralph..... where on earth would you start

Hopefully the opposite of our usual half times... The ones where we play well 🙂 n the first 45 mins and shite in the second

While there's no shortage of effort we've just been bad.

We look like conceding when they attack and we look unthreatening when we have the ball.

I'd like to see Redmond off & jankewitz on at ht for a start. The times armstrong has drifted into his no10 role he actually looked slightly threatening running at them.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, BotleySaint said:

Thing about that wrestle on Adams. If the defender wasn't there, he'd have scored. So clearly it was an infringement?

Adams would have scored......................................................😆

Two pretty crap team performances there, one just a bit less crap than the other. 

There's been what, 1 shot on target in 45 mins? It's so dull. 

We've had some vaguely promising moves which fizzle out as soon as we get anywhere near the box. They haven't done much more. 

Surely the second half can't be any more boring?

Just now, Bewildered said:

Either get Tella on second half for Redmond or get Jankewitz on for Redmond and move Armstrong out wide.

Just get Redmond off and replace him with a sack of lard

• Like 2

This has been a really poor and boring performance - again. Probably the most boring Saints side I've watched. Sideways, backwards. Sideways, backwards. Defensive howler. 

I really don't see how Redmond is untouchable, he's been woeful for the majority of his Saints career. He isn't a Premier League standard player. 

Bednarek lacked commitment for their goal, he made no attempt to keep it out the goal and thats unlike him. 

There is something very wrong, these players do not look like they're playing for the manager. 

This isn't good enough. Questions need to be asked about the manager and the players. 

Just now, Baird of the land said:

While there's no shortage of effort we've just been bad.

We look like conceding when they attack and we look unthreatening when we have the ball.

I'd like to see Redmond off & jankewitz on at ht for a start. The times armstrong has drifted into his no10 role he actually looked slightly threatening running at them.

How do we look like conceding when they attack? They've only had 1 shot. 

Just now, gammon cheeks said:

Dont think Everton have even got out of 2nd  gear to be honest ....

Yep the way it feels like to me too.

However at the same time I think we are our the architect of our downfall- just so poor in the final 3rd with underhit/overhit passes. We’re allowing Everton to stay in second gear 

Just now, AlexLaw76 said:

Unsure what we expected.  Ralph is utterly wedded to this system and it is showing him up as being a very average manager.

No doubt, more excuses (for the manager) will be all too quick from too many fans.

Yeah Hughesie is waiting 

I think a penalty would be fair for attempting to wrestle someone to the ground, failing falling over as a result of the attempt and then causing the player you initially fouled to go down in the penalty box. I would much rather this be an infraction than some of the other stupid stuff that has been rewarded with penalties.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Bewildered said:

Either get Tella on second half for Redmond or get Jankewitz on for Redmond and move Armstrong out wide.

Yep, Jankewitz in the middle for me, Armstrong out wide in place of Redmond. I'd bring Tella on up top early second half for Adams, although Ings also deserves be hooked after that half. 

• Confused 1

Okay for 8 minutes. Appalling then for the next 20 and looked like we were going under. Then they has their second goal disallowed and it's been reasonably even since.

Promising build up thwarted time and again by our shocking quality in the final third.

Given that we're hopeless in the second half, though, I guess this can be marked down as another defeat. 7 points from the last 14 games incoming.

We can't keep clean sheets and don't look like scoring. Not a great combination.

We've played the better football, passed it around well but have zero cutting edge. Redmond has been abysmal, Armstrong very good. I'd bring on Tella for Adams to give us some extra pace up front and maybe Jankowitz for Redmond but Ralph will probably sit on his hands.  Everton in general have just bypassed the midfield with long balls and looked dangerous from set pieces - they are not that great. However, not expecting anything other than another defensive mistake to give Everton a comfortable 2-0 win. Prove me wrong Saints and Ralph.

Has covid fucked our season? Reduced access to fitness and recovery facilities means a lower standard of fitness and players who not look like they've played two times a week for a whole year. Playing this system at full intensity in every game was madness in a season where we couldn't maintain fitness levels in training.

Literally cant believe our free kick setup. Zonal marking the 18 yard line it appears. You have to compete and make it difficult for the opposition, not hope for some luck. If Everton could time their runs better it would game over.

Just now, egg said:

Yep, Jankewitz in the middle for me, Armstrong out wide in place of Redmond. I'd bring Tella on up top early second half for Adams, although Ings also deserves be hooked after that half. 

Defo think we need something extra in the middle, push Armstrong further up. Luckily we haven't been gobbled up too much in the middle, but because Armstrong is there we are lacking extra quality in the final third.

Just now, Saint_clark said:

Has covid fucked our season? Reduced access to fitness and recovery facilities means a lower standard of fitness and players who not look like they've played two times a week for a whole year. Playing this system at full intensity in every game was madness in a season where we couldn't maintain fitness levels in training.

I'd love to understand more about our 'closing of facilities/reduced access', as that seems incredibly dumb to me.

2 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Unsure what we expected.  Ralph is utterly wedded to this system and it is showing him up as being a very average manager.

No doubt, more excuses (for the manager) will be all too quick from too many fans.

Surely Ralphs honeymoon is over now? One point from a possible 27, alongside two 9-0 Nils and several 3-0 pluses  

Just now, S-Clarke said:

Defo think we need something extra in the middle, push Armstrong further up. Luckily we haven't been gobbled up too much in the middle, but because Armstrong is there we are lacking extra quality in the final third.

Yep. Armstrong has been decent, but it's breaking down further forward and we need him there. 

1 minute ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

He’s putting Ward-Prowse to shame. Actually being positive, getting forward, and mixing it up a bit. Best player so far imo. 

To be fair, JWP has been pretty tidy in possession and playing that role as he is supposed to. He's not in the team to be an attacking/creative midfielder. But he's kept us moving quickly when he's had the chance to.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, woodsaint1 said:

Literally cant believe our free kick setup. Zonal marking the 18 yard line it appears. You have to compete and make it difficult for the opposition, not hope for some luck. If Everton could time their runs better it would game over.

This it is madness, Everton will crack that at some point.