Everton vs Saints - Match Thread

Chapel End

—————————-—-——  Macca —————————————

---------- Bednarek -------------Vestergaard ------------- Salisu ---------

Djenepo ----- Armstrong ----- Stephens  ----- JWP ------------- Bertrand

------------------------ Ings ------------- Adams -------------------------

Edited by aintforever

If we can scrap out a point tonight then beat Sheff Utd on Saturday we should be in a good position especially if Spurs beat Fulham on Thursday. That set of results would put us 11 points ahead of Fulham with 11 games to play. Conversely, if we lose both games and Fulham beat Spurs we are going to be deeper in the mire 🤣 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Saint Garrett said:

------------------Macca--------------------

Bednarek - Vestergaard - Salisu - Bertrand

-------------Jankewitz - JWP--------------
Armstrong---------------------------Djenepo

-------------Ings----Adams---------------

Then you have Forster, Stephens, Ramsay, Redmond, Tella on the bench....

Similar, but would have Ramsay RB with Bednarek and Vestergaard as the CB pairing. Play players in their position. 

1 hour ago, aintforever said:

—————————-—-——  Macca —————————————

---------- Bednarek -------------Vestergaard ------------- Salisu ---------

Djenepo ----- Armstrong ----- Stephens  ----- JWP ------------- Bertrand

------------------------ Ings ------------- Adams -------------------------

There are worse teams... I doubt it looks that strong with our likely bench however!

4 hours ago, Lighthouse said:

Hammond never even made the match day squad in the Premier League, he was loaned out to Brighton in the summer transfer window after JWP had started one League game, against Man City. Morgan, Cork, Davis and 17 year old JWP (who’d never played a league game before) were our options that year.

We quite clearly didn’t lose two in summer either, Reed was never here, he spent the whole of last season at Fulham. We sold Hojbjerg and bought Diallo, it was a straight forward one in - one out.

I clearly said JWP made Hammond superfluous, but it doesn't get away from the fact that we started the season with 4 senior CMs. Can't believe that someone actually writes 'Reed was never here', dear me some people. Of course he was here, he was our player. You clearly don't get it, I give up, wasting my 3 posts. 🙄 

40 minutes ago, VectisSaint said:

I clearly said JWP made Hammond superfluous, but it doesn't get away from the fact that we started the season with 4 senior CMs. Can't believe that someone actually writes 'Reed was never here', dear me some people. Of course he was here, he was our player. You clearly don't get it, I give up, wasting my 3 posts. 🙄 

Don’t talk pony man. If Reed was loaned out all last season, he wasn’t an option so we haven’t lost him if you’re comparing last season to this. . Last season our options were PEH, JWP & OR. This season they are OR, JWP & Diallo. 

• Like 1

Would like to see Tella from the start on a pitch that hopefully isn't like an ice rink like Leeds.

Chauke is also one I'd like to see have a game, but I think he's behind Jankewitz. Not keen on Stephens in midfield (or on the pitch to be fair), I know he's ok on the ball but his stamina isn't up to CM work.

Fully expecting nothing from today's game, we never, ever seen to win at Everton, and with recent form/injuries it ain't happening today.

Let's see how well the preparation time theory pays off.

Five days since Leeds. That's time for players to see videos of the opposition's weaknesses and to be able to target them specifically.

I reckon we will get something from this.

(I'm having the half full bit from the glass)

Hopefully nearly a full weeks rest and preparation time for this one will make a big difference. I'm feeling very confident that we can get something out of this tonight. Let's get back on track tonight in the league - 2-1 to us - Ings and Adams to get the goals for us - COYR :)

2 hours ago, VectisSaint said:

Well in that case we’ve got Lemina as our fourth choice CM this season, so we aren’t a player short.

To be honest my only hope for tonight is we get to play the Everton that turned up for the 0-2 home defeats against Newcastle and Fulham recently. 

Ralph must have studied those games , both teams had some luck so we'll need that as well as taking our chances. 

1 hour ago, Lighthouse said:

Well in that case we’ve got Lemina as our fourth choice CM this season, so we aren’t a player short.

Good point, we actually let 3 CMs go before this season, I'd forgotten about Mario (as you do). Even worse than I had recalled, 5 CMs to 3.

5 minutes ago, Teddeer said:

Any leaks on the line-up tonight? Needs must so I am expecting Ralph to pull out one or two surprises. 

A few might wet themselves when they see the line as they usually do, particularly that DT bloke he is the description of doom

17 minutes ago, Whitey Grandad said:

I shall watch because I feel it’s my duty. Rather like sitting at the bedside of a long-loved relative who is on their last legs

We'll all watch, we are mainline  football addicts. Try not watching or checking the score.

Imagine not watching and missing a storming win.

It is like going to the dentist, horrible experience but worse if you don't.

• Like 1

Almost at the point I’d be happy with a drama free loss (no scandalous decisions, no injuries). 

Somehow my poor deluded football brain tells me we never win there, law of averages says we have to at some point, and that maybe, just maybe we’ll pull something out the bag. Probably not though. 

We probably need something to go in our favour to get something (Christ we’d be due some) and just battle on from there. Hope we put a performance together. 

1 minute ago, Appy said:

A change between the sticks 

Wow! Didn't see that coming. Many have been calling for Fraser to be given a chance while others have said leave well alone. Tonight we may find out which camp had it right.

Personally not convinced on the change of keeper - always gets suggested when we lose a game, not convinced Macca has done much wrong, or that Forster has had to do much right in the games he’s kept clean sheets in.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, saints-cris said:

Almost at the point I’d be happy with a drama free loss (no scandalous decisions, no injuries). 

Agreed, seeing us play with some pride, professionalism and having an even hand from the officials would do right now.

We never, ever win at Goodison Park anyway, so what the hell.

Just now, Shroppie said:

And Bednarek RB, or is it Djenepo with 3xCB?

I imagine the first.  Quite liking the thought of Armstong at CB now I've had a second to think about it  [Hoping this post doesn't look very silly in a couple of hours time] 

Just now, Archers Road Stand said:

Armstrong is awful as a CM. Bednarek is awful at RB. This is going to be another hiding. 

Armstrong is wasted in that position and Bednerak is not a right back !  Maybe a change in formation ? Will have to wait and see

• Lighthouse changed the title to Everton vs Saints - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic