Everton vs Saints - Match Thread

Chapel End

34 minutes ago, Jeremy Corbyn said:

Didn't we play 3-4-3 against Chelsea?  And it went quite well?

No idea why we changed it yesterday and played with an out of place RB.  

Back to 3-4-3:

Forster

Bed - Vest - Sal

Dj - JWP - Rom - Bert

Arm - Ings - Red

Not according to Ralph. It was 4222 with Djenepo sometimes dropping back to support at RB.

And Romeu will definitely be out.

What a pivovital match for us, another loss And i don't think we will recover mentally.   Honestly struggling to see where are next points are going to come from, usually we have a habit of winning when we least suspect it so maybe Everton is the game we can turn it around at.

Looking back over past seasons performances we have struggled against teams around us and won those we least expect. A similar pattern is emerging this season. I do so hope that we can pull that rabbit out of the hat at the first stadium to have a 'dug out'. It will depend entirely on who is available.I was bitterly disappointed with our collapse against Leeds yesterday but will never give up hope that we can actually get something out of our current demise. The Toffees fans are not quite as arrogant as the 'armchair Bin-dippers' but they run a close second. COYS we can do this.

37 minutes ago, nta786 said:

https://www.grandoldteam.com/forum/threads/everton-v-southampton-1-3-21-preview-match-report-and-motm-poll.112107/

Some of these comments on there- I do despise em- but frustratingly we never get the better of em up there. 

What is wrong with that bunch? Why have they taken all those comments by Ralph (in that opening post) as personal attacks at them?

What was wrong about saying 'there are one or two clubs out performing at the start for a short term' - he was spot on, about us more than anything! How was that a dig at Everton? Where are they now exactly? Oh yeah, they dropped off.

Chips on their shoulder or what.

I think they've always had grand delusions about their place in world football. I get the impression they think they're on par with your Tottenham's and Leicester's but haven't won anything of note since 1995. I reckon I've seen us achieve more in my lifetime and that's saying something 😂

Fact is, you can't keep saying you're a top club when there's an entire generation of people now, anyone under about 35, that considers them nothing more than your average prem team making up the numbers because they've never seen them achieve anything. History means **** all after quarter of a century! Ask Blackburn.

I've always had them on par with the likes of Newcastle and West Ham. Mid table, established prem team that can give anyone a game on their day. Never going to get top 4 though.

Edited by Disco Stu
  • Confused 1

Here is a right field suggestion.  We need to play a right back at right back, so bring in Ramsay as Bednarek was a fish out of water there last night.  Then two of Bednarek, Vestergaard and Salisu at centre back.  Let's put Bednarek and Vestergaard back together their and then how about if Diallo and Romeu are out, which is almost a certainty, move Salisu into a holding midfield role alongside Ward-Prowse.  He could be a beast there.  Just a thought, I think he has the ability to play there:

McCarthy

Ramsay, Bednarek, Vestergaard, Bertrand

Ward-Prowse, Salisu

Armstrong, Tella

Ings, Minamino

• Like 1

Just now, Saintgaz said:

Here is a right field suggestion.  We need to play a right back at right back, so bring in Ramsay as Bednarek was a fish out of water there last night.  Then two of Bednarek, Vestergaard and Salisu at centre back.  Let's put Bednarek and Vestergaard back together their and then how about if Diallo and Romeu are out, which is almost a certainty, move Salisu into a holding midfield role alongside Ward-Prowse.  He could be a beast there.  Just a thought, I think he has the ability to play there:

McCarthy

Ward-Prowse, Salisu

Armstrong, Tella

Ings, Minamino

I think that would be an unnecessary risk. He's still getting to grips with this country as it is, sticking him in midfield wouldn't be great. He's looked a tiny bit rash with his challenges etc (so far, he's still learning the pace of this league). That's just another square peg in a round hole really and we'd probably get over run as he probably has no idea how to play that pivot position.

I'd stick Alex Jakewitz in there tbh. More of a natural fit as a midfielder - could even be a shout for Caleb Watts, but that may be a bit lightweight. Ramsay at RB is questionable as I'm fairly sure he's a centre back by trade himself, but can play right back. And I've never been impressed when I've seen him, he couldn't even get a game in L2. It's genuinely shit it's come to this, just because of 1 or 2 first team players missing.

with injuries we have had this season, does Ralph (or anyone else) know our preferred formation/starting XI if every player was available?

i assume preferred formation is 4-2-2-2, but who goes where is a big mystery (debates for sure on GK, CB, MF, maybe even striker pairing)

Edited by SaintTex

13 minutes ago, Saintgaz said:

McCarthy

Ward-Prowse, Salisu

Armstrong, Tella

Ings, Minamino

Like your thinking. Not a bad shout at all if we don't want to risk Jankewitz. Stephens is another option but I'd say not as good. I'd probably choose Djenepo ahead of Minamino but otherwise agree.

Whenever any team is on a bad run it is normal to work from the defence up. Unfortunately, for a variety of well-documented reasons, we are short of a right back. Compound this with the latest injury to Romeu who is a key defensive shield in midfield and we are in the mire. Ralph has a tough job but somehow he has to stem the goals against column and make us hard to beat. I thought he'd begun the process with a solid performance against Chelsea but that was all undone last night. If you look back at the Leeds game we generally panicked every time they played a long ball that bypassed midfield or played it longer down either flank. The two centre halves must stay close to one another to avoid leaving a huge hole through the middle and, whoever the fullbacks are, they need to stick with the wide men. Then the midfield must work to shut off the supply. It's tough when you look at what Ralph has to play with but he's got to work on making us tighter when we are being attacked.

Forster

Stephens, Bednarek, Vest, Bertrand

Jank (assuming no Romeu), JWP

Redmond, Armstrong

Ings, Minamimo

Mina knows where back of net is but looks too lightweight to play in one of the minefield positions so would like to see him up too with Ings for this game

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Teddeer said:

Whenever any team is on a bad run it is normal to work from the defence up. Unfortunately, for a variety of well-documented reasons, we are short of a right back. Compound this with the latest injury to Romeu who is a key defensive shield in midfield and we are in the mire. Ralph has a tough job but somehow he has to stem the goals against column and make us hard to beat. I thought he'd begun the process with a solid performance against Chelsea but that was all undone last night. If you look back at the Leeds game we generally panicked every time they played a long ball that bypassed midfield or played it longer down either flank. The two centre halves must stay close to one another to avoid leaving a huge hole through the middle and, whoever the fullbacks are, they need to stick with the wide men. Then the midfield must work to shut off the supply. It's tough when you look at what Ralph has to play with but he's got to work on making us tighter when we are being attacked.

given, as you say, all midfielders should be able to track, mark and defend, I’d go for something like this 

Forster 

JWP Vestergaard Salisu Bertrand 

Djenepo Armstrong Redmond Minamino

tella ings 

COYR

42 minutes ago, SKD said:

given, as you say, all midfielders should be able to track, mark and defend, I’d go for something like this 

Forster 

JWP Vestergaard Salisu Bertrand 

Djenepo Armstrong Redmond Minamino

tella ings 

COYR

I assume this is a joke?

Interestingly a few months ago there were quite a few championing Stephens as being a potential good defensive midfielder, yet not a single person has suggested him playing there during our injury crisis. Sums it up I think.

Edited by Turkish

Although McCarthy made some good saves against Leeds, he was also suspect for the 1st and 3rd goals. He has also been on the receiving end of conceding alot of goals recently. I would take him out of the firing line and put Forster in. Hes kept clean sheets and deserves a chance.

Still think we've no other option but to persist with Bednarek at RB. Would bring Djenepo back in to offer that defensive protection.

Unless Diallo makes an unexpected return, it will have to be Jankewitz in CM. The kid will want to prove a point, so why not give him a chance. Would rather him play this game where we're not expected to win, than be thrust into a 'must win' game against Sheff Utd next week.

Ings, Minamino and Armstrong all need to start. Attacking-wise we've been poor of late so we need our best attacking options on the pitch.

Forster

Bednarek   Vest   Salisu   Bertrand

Djenepo    JWP    Jank   Armstrong

Ings   Minamino

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Saintgaz said:

McCarthy

Ward-Prowse, Salisu

Armstrong, Tella

Ings, Minamino

Good call. Salisu might just work.

Edited by Sarisbury Saint

8 hours ago, Turkish said:

I assume this is a joke?

Yes, lol. Still amused by that doughnut suggesting we put Redmond there against Leeds. 

8 hours ago, Turkish said:

Interestingly a few months ago there were quite a few championing Stephens as being a potential good defensive midfielder, yet not a single person has suggested him playing there during our injury crisis. Sums it up I think.

Interestingly I thought this the other day when you were having the debate about ‘all midfielders should be able to play Cm’. Given how desperately thin we are, perhaps we could try Vestergaard or Stephens there. Neither are an ideal solution, but both pretty tidy on the ball and would be a lot better than Armstrong... or as he suggested Redmond 😂

Edited by SKD

1 hour ago, Sarisbury Saint said:

Good call. Salisu might just work.

He's a CB finding his way into English footy, playing him out of position in midfield is not a great idea. 

That said, I think he has it in his locker to play LB. He drifts into that position and made a lovely little run down the left side against Leeds. 

If any of our defenders were to play out of position I'd say Bertrand could do a job there. 

34 minutes ago, SKD said:

Yes, lol. Still amused by that doughnut suggesting we put Redmond there against Leeds. 

Interestingly I thought this the other day when you were having the debate about ‘all midfielders should be able to play Cm’. Given how desperately thin we are, perhaps we could try Vestergaard or Stephens there. Neither are an ideal solution, but both pretty tidy on the ball and would be a lot better than Armstrong... or as he suggested Redmond 😂

👏 sorry yes didnt read the first line of your post 🤣

On 24/02/2021 at 08:43, darren2 said:

Can someone let me know when the match is please?  I can be sure to watch Married at First Sight Australia on instead as the result is only going one way and it'll be painful!

Darren, I think MAFSA concludes by the weekend. Hope so, as my Virgin box is crammed with MAFSA. You can still watch the game live on Monday night.

22 hours ago, Mr X said:

What a pivovital match for us, another loss And i don't think we will recover mentally.   Honestly struggling to see where are next points are going to come from, usually we have a habit of winning when we least suspect it so maybe Everton is the game we can turn it around at.

We need 10 points or ten draws including not losing to clubs below us. . Avoiding relegation means a tough, dour  defensive regime  like that which we achieved against Chelsea. It won't need to matter how unattractive we look (It hurts to say that). But it has to be done. Then if successful, and we're still in the Prem, next year with a decent summer transfer window to strengthen defence, we can regroup. 

I love our adventurous pressing style (and we have certainly been unlucky with decisions,VAR and injuries) but pressing seems foolhardy in our present situation when we are so weak at the back.

• Like 2

If Jankewitz doesn't start this we may as well shut down the Academy.  

He is the natural fit positionally for the absent Romeu/Dallio and looked very capable when he came on in the cup game,  Moving Armtrong just makes us weaker in 2 positions at once. 

At  Right Back  our only option is to line up like we did against Chelsea  with Moussa as an advanced wing back, unless Ramsay can do a Manny Andrezeuwski  on Richalison. 

On 24/02/2021 at 15:35, Disco Stu said:

I think they've always had grand delusions about their place in world football. I get the impression they think they're on par with your Tottenham's and Leicester's but haven't won anything of note since 1995. I reckon I've seen us achieve more in my lifetime and that's saying something 😂

Fact is, you can't keep saying you're a top club when there's an entire generation of people now, anyone under about 35, that considers them nothing more than your average prem team making up the numbers because they've never seen them achieve anything. History means **** all after quarter of a century! Ask Blackburn.

I've always had them on par with the likes of Newcastle and West Ham. Mid table, established prem team that can give anyone a game on their day. Never going to get top 4 though.

Fucking Leicester ? Since when were they a big big club ? 

5 years ago many on here would have said we are on par with Leicester 

13 hours ago, LiberalCommunist said:

I'd be a tad concerned starting AJ, because we seem to have annoyed the whole of the ref association. The first 50/50 would be just too painful to watch unfold. 

I didn’t even know we signed Anthony Joshua, I agree we need to toughen up but I didn’t see that coming!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, skintsaint said:

Everton lost at home to Fulham so they do have their off days, hopefully another one this weekend.

Unfortunately I can see them humping us especially if they score early.

Fingers crossed for a scrappy 0-1 win.

A couple of things to add on this.

Fulham will beat most teams now as they are playing well as a unit. 
Unfortunately we will lose if we score early and also Everton will win if they score early.

The only hope is for us to still be in the game at the 70 minute mark so the game opens up and we can sneak a goal to take a 1 nil lead.

• Confused 1

I think Ralph needs to think a little radical with this one...it’s not game over if we lose, but it’s pivotal. I think the space in front of defence needs bolstering so play a slightly deeper line in defence and setup like this.

Forster

Ramsey.  Bednarek. Vest. Salisu

JWP. Jankewitz. Berty

Armstrong. Minemino

Ings

Will be very surprised if we walk away with even a point though...Everton have more about them, are well drilled and clinical. It’s likely to be another 3-0, possibly worse.

• Haha 1

44 minutes ago, Pilchards said:

Unfortunately we will lose if we score early and also Everton will win if they score early.

The only hope is for us to still be in the game at the 70 minute mark so the game opens up and we can sneak a goal to take a 1 nil lead.

Would this be the same Fulham who've won 2 out of their last 16 PL games since November ???

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, eurosaint said:

Would this be the same Fulham who've won 2 out of their last 16 PL games since November ???

Absolutely cannot wait to see whether the same dinlows swooning over unstoppable winning machine Fulham (22 points from 25 games, bottom 3 all fucking season) would have the same confidence were it Southampton Football Club in that same position.

4 wins all season. 21 goals scored in 25 matches.

Oh I wish we were Fulham, I wish we were Fulham I wish we were Fulham.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sarisbury Saint said:

Got a feeling Tellas the one that wins us this game .

Think this lad has something special about him.

He's been really bright during the last couple of games and seems to have gained some confidence and belief since his early appearances.

Most importantly right now, he actually created one or two chances with his trickery. So yes he must play, if fit.

Edited by BotleySaint

With all the injuries I think we've got to reinforce the midfield and play it quite cagey, like we did against Chelsea. We still have a chance of grabbing a goal with JWP, Vesty and Ings in the team.

I'd go with:

--‐-------------Big Mc-------------

----Bednarek----Vest----Salisu----

Djenepo - - - - - - - - - - - - - Bertrand 

- - - - - - - JWP- - - Jankewitz- - - - 

- - -- - - - - - Armstrong - - - - - - - 

- - - - - Ings- - - - - Minamino/Adams

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Pilchards said:

Fulham will beat most teams! What are you basing that on?

Edited by Teddeer
  • Like 1

we really needed a rb for this more than any other game. richarlison will run riot against us

not the game you want to be breaking up the cm pair either as everton are strong and physical there

wouldnt mind seeing forster as some have already mentioned. think mccarthys level and confidence has dropped recently

I'd prefer Alex Jankewitz to be given a go but Salisu as a defensive midfielder has some mileage. 

On 25/02/2021 at 07:32, SKD said:

Marcel Desailly was an absolute beast of a central midfielder for AC Milan before he decided that he wanted to play Centre Back. Always annoyed me that. Whether Salisu has the legs to cover the ground that is expected these days i don't know but might be something to look at towards the end of the season.

Have just watched Ralph's pre match press conference and I've never been more convinced we will lose this game, Ralph looks like he has no confidence whatsoever and shrugged his shoulders talking about needing to play kids in a Premier league game. 

3-0 to Everton. 

Definitely need 5 at the back as they'll get no protection from Midfield.

Edited by JRM

• Lighthouse changed the title to Everton vs Saints - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic