Everton vs Saints - Match Thread

Chapel End

On 23/02/2021 at 21:12, Chris cooper said:

I went to the 1-1 wen Redmond scored header and Tom Davies scored late on via a deflection off of hoedt which Bertrand had a chance to put in the stands but decided to take a touch a lost it Costing us 3 points .. that was penultimate game for the Swansea away and the mighty gabbiadini ..was running around screaming at top of my voice outside the liberty stadium where the coaches parked with several 1000 saints fans rocking o wen the saints ..📢🎶🎵let’s hope it doesn’t go that close this season 🤦‍♂️

What happened to Gabbiadini after he left? Haven't heard anything about him in a long time.

Edited by Uncle Albert

8 hours ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

I think Ralph needs to think a little radical with this one...it’s not game over if we lose, but it’s pivotal. I think the space in front of defence needs bolstering so play a slightly deeper line in defence and setup like this.

Forster

Ramsey.  Bednarek. Vest. Salisu

JWP. Jankewitz. Berty

Armstrong. Minemino

Ings

Will be very surprised if we walk away with even a point though...Everton have more about them, are well drilled and clinical. It’s likely to be another 3-0, possibly worse.

Definitely agree with one up front and stop the closing down so far up the pitch it needs to happen around the centre circle, particulates we are so fragile. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Uncle Albert said:

What happened to Gabbiadini after he left? Haven't heard anything about him in a long time.

He’s on the bench these days for sampdoria .. he was a great poacher and had that knack of being in the right place at the right time .. he had a great start to saints career with a hat full of goals .. but defenders in the prem got wise and gave him a yard ,he then started to go awol in games and sadly struggled .. the cup final he gave manure hell all game ..was unplayable that day .. I still look out for him in games but barely gets a run out these days ... the les Reed Lamborghini song for him was class 👌🏻Remember saints fans bellowing it out at the green man pub at Wembley ! Great memories! Have a video of it on my phone.

15 minutes ago, Chris cooper said:

He’s on the bench these days for sampdoria .. he was a great poacher and had that knack of being in the right place at the right time .. he had a great start to saints career with a hat full of goals .. but defenders in the prem got wise and gave him a yard ,he then started to go awol in games and sadly struggled .. the cup final he gave manure hell all game ..was unplayable that day .. I still look out for him in games but barely gets a run out these days ... the les Reed Lamborghini song for him was class 👌🏻Remember saints fans bellowing it out at the green man pub at Wembley ! Great memories! Have a video of it on my phone.

4 years ago today FB reminded me this morning. Seems longer. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Chris cooper said:

les Reed Lamborghini song for him was class 👌🏻Remember saints fans bellowing it out at the green man pub at Wembley ! Great memories! Have a video of it on my phone

Absolutely - that afternoon in that pub garden before the cup final really was fantastic. 

Great memories, great day.

Such a shame if we get to the FA Cup semi and it's an empty flipping ground.

15 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

Absolutely - that afternoon in that pub garden before the cup final really was fantastic. 

Great memories, great day.

Such a shame if we get to the FA Cup semi and it's an empty flipping ground.

If VVD was fit we would have won that game .. no way ibra gets a free header in the box 

On 24/02/2021 at 21:17, Turkish said:

We are due a good result v neverton. The boys will be like wounded tigers. Everton won’t want to face us on this for, of the back of a good win themselves. 2-0 Everton.

Southampton - 1 FA cup

Everton - 9 league titles, 5 FA cups, 1 ECWC

Yet you refer to us as 'neverton' 

Embarrassing.

• Haha 1

Do we have even have ten outfield payers left who are not crocked? Team selection will be a nightmare;

Forster; Bednarek, Vestergaard, Salisu, Bertrand; JWP, Armstrong; Tella, Djenepo; Ralph, Ings.

Djenepo & Tella because they are brilliant chase-back tacklers. JWP & Armstrong are going to need all the help they can get! 

Actually Adams but it must be getting close to bringing on the big man

16 minutes ago, UpTheToffees said:

Southampton - 1 FA cup

Embarrassing.

It’s embarrassing you’re posting on another clubs forum and getting all upset someone on there has called you a silly name 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, UpTheToffees said:

Southampton - 1 FA cup

Embarrassing.

Ancient history doesn't count. I think our recent records match fairly well, except we've probably had more cup finals and Euro campaigns recently.

On 25/02/2021 at 17:35, IFHP said:

Fucking Leicester ? Since when were they a big big club ? 

5 years ago many on here would have said we are on par with Leicester 

Since they won the league. That puts them above most teams this century. Reputation improves when you win things and regresses when you stop winning things.

Edited by Disco Stu

2 minutes ago, damers said:

Have heard JS has been lining up alongside JWP in training. Scary

Not surprised to be honest. It's him, Salisu, Jankewitz or Chauke. I'd prefer Jankewitz but an out of position Stephens wouldn't be a shock. 

12 minutes ago, egg said:

Not surprised to be honest. It's him, Salisu, Jankewitz or Chauke. I'd prefer Jankewitz but an out of position Stephens wouldn't be a shock. 

Jankewitz would deliberately get himself sent off in the first minute again so best not risk it

1 minute ago, Turkish said:

Jankewitz would deliberately get himself sent off in the first minute again so best not risk it

Ha!! Stephens starting ahead of him would be ridiculous. The kid deserves another chance. 

• Like 5

Need whatever experience we have left on the pitch. These are desperate times.

I'd go Stephens at RB and give Jankewitz another chance in midfield. If he's struggling Stephens can move into midfield.

Jack may not be everyone's cup of tea, but he has more good Prem games under his belt than bad. We need him at the moment.

For me

Forster

Stephens Vestergaard Salisu Bertrand

Djenepo JWP Jankewitz Armstrong

Adams Ings

Keeping Redmond as impact sub (all we have)

It will be a variation on that unless KWP is back.

Everton are 11/10 to win. Those are cracking odds. However betting on the opposition is going down a bad road. There lies ruin.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, macca155 said:

Need whatever experience we have left on the pitch. These are desperate times.

I'd go Stephens at RB and give Jankewitz another chance in midfield. If he's struggling Stephens can move into midfield.

Jack may not be everyone's cup of tea, but he has more good Prem games under his belt than bad. We need him at the moment.

For me

Forster

Stephens Vestergaard Salisu Bertrand

Djenepo JWP Jankewitz Armstrong

Adams Ings

Keeping Redmond as impact sub (all we have)

It will be a variation on that unless KWP is back.

Everton are 11/10 to win. Those are cracking odds. However betting on the opposition is going down a bad road. There lies ruin.

I agree with the line up but Stuart and Moussa swap over :)

Your absolutely right about what you say on Jack. He's a class act in my eyes :)

Stephens can do a decent job as a central defensive minded midfielder i'd wager. Wasn't he tipped for that sort of role when he was younger? His lapses of concentration / positional errors won't be as fatal there as at CB (famous last words i know).

Edited by Saint86
  • Like 1

I look at our current fit players, and our dire form, and think perhaps trying 3 at the back on a more permanent basis may be a way to go. (Which actually contrasts to my thoughts on the 3-4-3 formation, however we are somewhat pushed with the 4-2-2-2 for available players). We have 4 fit centre backs to accommodate, meaning Bednarek, Vestergaard and Salisu could all play in position (with Stephens as back up), it also means Bertrand could push forward more on the left, and means we can use a more attacking option at right wing back (So Redmond or Djenepo). We can then play Armstrong next to JWP in the centre and three up front in attack (So currently probably Adams, Ings, Tella/Djenepo of the players that are fit).

Ergo the formation would look something like:

McCarthy/Forster (don't get me started on those two)

Bednarek Vestergaard Salisu

Redmond JWP Armstrong Bertrand

Ings Adams Tella/Djenepo

Anyway it's just a thought, I'm sure people will disagree. It seems to me there are less square pegs in round holes using this system. Of course I'm sure Ralph will keep the 4-2-2-2 but it will mean using more youth at some point.

As for Everton, I've said it a lot lately, but I would take a point. I think we will get it to in a ground out 0-0.  And with City on the horizon, that means we need a win against Sheffield United to build some confidence.

10 hours ago, egg said:

I think he'd be decent in a limited role to be honest, he'll win some aerial battles and 50/50s and his mistakes won't be as exposed as when he's the last line of defence.

Worth a try anyway. 

38 minutes ago, Saint Garrett said:

Im not sure where this myth has come from that Jack Stephens is good on the ball. He’s dreadful on the ball, and constantly gives the ball away. He’s just not good enough for the premier league 

Dreadful is harsh, but he's as much a Premier league central midfielder as he is a premier league centre forward or winger. Playing him there would be ridiculous, and show complete contempt for Jankewitz, and the academy concept. 

• Like 1

I hope we don't play Stephens in the middle by default, if there are others available. The only sound reason for doing that would be added experience to the side, but he just doesn't have the strength or genuine mobility to play there. His touch is decent but nothing extraordinary and pretty much par the course for a CB, not a CM.

I get that Ralph may be a bit nervous to play Alex again, but he has to be trusted. He had a moment of stupidity and it's through those moments you either grow or vanish as a player, he deserves a replay.

We also need to be taking into account that Ralph will be trying all sorts, he needs options and he needs to know what works and what doesn't in all situations. I don't think Jack is what will be classed as a first option...but given the situation he could well be required at some point, so it makes sense to get him slightly accustomed to the role if required.

• Like 2

I could see Stephens doing a job as a CDM in a midfield 3, but not in a 2 when both CM's need to be mobile and be able to win the ball back high up the pitch. 

His passing and awareness are both generally poor and would rather see Jankewitz given another shot. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Saint Garrett said:

Im not sure where this myth has come from that Jack Stephens is good on the ball. He’s dreadful on the ball, and constantly gives the ball away. He’s just not good enough for the premier league 

He’s prone to lapses in concentration as much as anything. But who else have we got?

59 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

I hope we don't play Stephens in the middle by default, if there are others available. The only sound reason for doing that would be added experience to the side, but he just doesn't have the strength or genuine mobility to play there. His touch is decent but nothing extraordinary and pretty much par the course for a CB, not a CM.

I get that Ralph may be a bit nervous to play Alex again, but he has to be trusted. He had a moment of stupidity and it's through those moments you either grow or vanish as a player, he deserves a replay.

We also need to be taking into account that Ralph will be trying all sorts, he needs options and he needs to know what works and what doesn't in all situations. I don't think Jack is what will be classed as a first option...but given the situation he could well be required at some point, so it makes sense to get him slightly accustomed to the role if required.

‘Deserves’ is not the word that I would use but if we can’t trust/risk him here then when can we? 

2 hours ago, Saint Garrett said:

......and he is always caught ball watching.

It's a bit sad when you're paid £50k a week yet can't concentrate on your job for 90 minutes per week!

Edited by Charlie Wayman

Not sure if I would be tempted to go with a back five for this one. I know it's not pretty to watch, but at this time for us, it's so important to not get beaten. Be defensive for at least 60-70 minutes, then if still in the game, the shackles can come off. Maybe drop of the press, let Everton have the possession and just try to engage in our own half. 

Would be another ringing endorsement for our prestigious academy if Stephens was preferred in CM ahead of Jankewitz. 

We've already had CMs and CBs preferred at RB ahead of Valery and happy to get by with one senior LB instead of keeping Vokins as backup. Long was also preferred ahead of N'Lundulu and Obafemi for most games. Not to mention the list of other academy products out on loan when we're on record saying that we dont believe in the loan system

It makes you question the point of the academy if all we're doing is feeding lower league clubs for nominal fees (if any fee at all). If they're not good enough to be given a chance then our academy needs a serious overhaul

1 hour ago, woodsaint1 said:

Would be another ringing endorsement for our prestigious academy if Stephens was preferred in CM ahead of Jankewitz. 

We've already had CMs and CBs preferred at RB ahead of Valery and happy to get by with one senior LB instead of keeping Vokins as backup. Long was also preferred ahead of N'Lundulu and Obafemi for most games. Not to mention the list of other academy products out on loan when we're on record saying that we dont believe in the loan system

It makes you question the point of the academy if all we're doing is feeding lower league clubs for nominal fees (if any fee at all). If they're not good enough to be given a chance then our academy needs a serious overhaul

Who really has a team with more than one or two academy players in it, in this league? The vast majority don’t make it, that’s always been the case at every club.

22 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

Who really has a team with more than one or two academy players in it, in this league? The vast majority don’t make it, that’s always been the case at every club.

It's not a question of numbers, rather that if our best midfield prospect can't a game ahead a very average defender playing out of position, you have to question what's going on. 

• Lighthouse changed the title to Everton vs Saints - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic