New Manager Watch Thread

SKD

3 hours ago, egg said:

Howe and Tindall are who I think we'll get, and I reckon it'll happen soon. I'd like Frank but there's no way he'd leave Brentford. 

There was some chat from journos i saw that Tindall and Howe would never work together again. Some beef there i think.

I think Howe is realistic appointment for us, but maybe with different backroom staff. Mick Wadsworth maybe.

2 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

There was some chat from journos i saw that Tindall and Howe would never work together again. Some beef there i think.

I think Howe is realistic appointment for us, but maybe with different backroom staff. Mick Wadsworth maybe.

Return of the great man? 

les.jpg

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Turkish said:

Hope Powell, experienced, proven winner and ticks 3 boxes 

Well if we are going down that route we might get an internal promotion Marieanne Spacey-Cale, seems to have had our ladies team smashing just about every team they have had put in front of them. If it wasn’t for Covid shutting down the lower divisions of women’s football for the last 2 seasons, our ladies team would have been getting closer and closer to the WSL.

11 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Just joined Sheffield United hasn't he?

Yep. I also read he’s looking at the top Job rather another number 2, but now true that is I don’t know as he’s gone in at Sheff Utd as no 2. 

A change would probably be good for Howe anyway, Sir Alex regularly changed his no2 over his tenure, it’s a way of keeping things fresh and keeping up with the modern game, without the instability of changing clubs. 

Howe is a weird one though, Bournemouth spent a fortune don’t get me wrong, but it’s hard to say that he didn’t do a fantastic job there. I’m a bit surprised he’s not been snapped up if I’m honest, but I think he’s lack of wanting to be too far away from Bournemouth is probably a factor. 

Personally, I wouldn’t have him, I don’t like what he done in the transfer market in his later years (we simply can’t afford that, although he wouldn’t be given as much free reign, I suppose) and he left there dressing room a bit of a mess, which worries me about how he’d handle ours.. which is already a mess. Although, that being said, I am coming around to the idea. 

His style, philosophy and formation is similar to that of Ralph’s. It wouldn’t take a huge amount of adjustment and perhaps some fresh ideas would help us click again in the final 3rd - Tick 

Generally speaking, he’s pretty good at working with, coaching and developing younger players - Tick 

Experienced in heavy involvement in how the club is run - Tick 

Knows the league and I don’t think he’d be too expensive or demand a war chest that perhaps a decent manager from Europe would - Tick 

I suspect he’d probably be looking for a project, rather than a quick fix to progress - Tick (I guess) 

I guess looking at where we’re at currently, if we sack Ralph, we can’t be too snobby about the replacement. Howe (in terms of reputation) is probably about the best we could realistically expect. 

Tim Flowers has just left an ill-fated three month stint in charge of Barnet, rooted second-bottom of the National League ("Conference" as it was known) only by virtue of bottom club Dover having refused to play any league games for months... he's probably near the top of Saints' candidates list.

• Haha 4

23 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

All this thread is doing is highlighting that getting rid of Ralph would be daft.

Not daft, essential. He's run his course as a magician, there is nothing left up his sleeve or under his hat. Reality has trumped hope, the cupboard is bare.

Just suppose we could get Pochettino back or failing that Benitez, what would you say then?

Just now, Charlie Wayman said:

Not daft, essential. He's run his course as a magician, there is nothing left up his sleeve or under his hat. Reality has trumped hope, the cupboard is bare.

Just suppose we could get Pochettino back or failing that Benitez, what would you say then?

I thought you were spunking your load over the thought of Chris Hughton becoming manager?

In the pond we'll be fishing in (out of work managers and cheap) there isn't anyway that inspires me or I think that could polish the turd that is our squad. 

Add to the fact that we cannot physically afford to sack Ralph, plus the fact we are building the club and the future around Ralph and his 'playbook', it's all a bit moot. 

Perhaps it's time to write chapter two of the playbook, 'Plan B'

5 minutes ago, Charlie Wayman said:

We can't, so what's the point in even debating that? Seems a daft thing to say.

6 minutes ago, ErwinK1961 said:

In the pond we'll be fishing in (out of work managers and cheap) there isn't anyway that inspires me or I think that could polish the turd that is our squad. 

Add to the fact that we cannot physically afford to sack Ralph, plus the fact we are building the club and the future around Ralph and his 'playbook', it's all a bit moot. 

Perhaps it's time to write chapter two of the playbook, 'Plan B'

The playbook, The new black box. 

It was just a presentation around each role within the squad so that players were getting tactical instructions whilst at hole during lockdown. 

Nothing special, nothing that a new manager can’t write and or amend. 

The club have ‘allegedly’ decided that we will be going forward with a similar philosophy (High tempo, high pressing, developing youth).  Any new appointment will be in this mould, so ‘the play book’ shouldn’t need to change much. 

2 hours ago, LeG said:

Tindall is hated at Saints. He's one of the biggest tw@ts in the game. 

Interestingly, Kris Temple indicated over the weekend that he & Howe won’t be working together anytime soon.

Didnt realise they’d fallen out,

37 minutes ago, Charlie Wayman said:

Poch is hardly going to leave PSG to come and join us. 🙄

• Like 2

2 hours ago, LeG said:

Tindall is hated at Saints. He's one of the biggest tw@ts in the game. 

2 hours ago, Turkish said:

Just joined Sheffield United hasn't he?

Well that rules him out then! 

3 hours ago, SKD said:

The playbook, The new black box. 

It was just a presentation around each role within the squad so that players were getting tactical instructions whilst at hole during lockdown. 

Nothing special, nothing that a new manager can’t write and or amend. 

The club have ‘allegedly’ decided that we will be going forward with a similar philosophy (High tempo, high pressing, developing youth).  Any new appointment will be in this mould, so ‘the play book’ shouldn’t need to change much. 

#theplaybook

#allplaythesameway

#okayinthefirstshitinthesecond

#collapse

#itsworking

Edited by Turkish
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Turkish said:

#theplaybook

#allplaythesameway

#okayinthefirstshitinthesecond

#collapse

#itsworking

It really is damning of Ralph and a question that needs to be asked that all sides seems to be in the mud, following the switch to this shared methodology. 

I wouldn’t be against giving Lampard a crack, intelligent guy with a super high IQ, has always been super hard working and committed in his playing career. And highly respected.

he seems in a simular position now as what Hoddle was when we took him as manager. This would be a good move for him to get his career back on track after chelsea which probably had a lot to do with trying to gel so many new signings at the same time did well enough last season and at derby

think there is still a good manager here 

• Like 3

15 hours ago, pimpin4rizeal said:

I wouldn’t be against giving Lampard a crack, intelligent guy with a super high IQ, has always been super hard working and committed in his playing career. And highly respected.

he seems in a simular position now as what Hoddle was when we took him as manager. This would be a good move for him to get his career back on track after chelsea which probably had a lot to do with trying to gel so many new signings at the same time did well enough last season and at derby

think there is still a good manager here 

I completely agree, better get him before Newcastle do.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fan The Flames said:

We scored more in the second half than the first.

#highonpositivity 

This reminds me of my old primary school football team. We were dreadful and got hammered every match. The headmaster used to read out the results to the whole school in assembly the following morning. One time he said "The boys football team lost 6-2 yesterday... but it was 5-0 at half time so at least they won the second half!" 🤣😭

38 minutes ago, Sidney Fudpucker the 3rd said:

Whoever we go for needs to be prepared to manage us in the Championship.

Dunno why people keep saying this. If you think there is even a 5% chance of us going down stick some money on it, sky bet have it at 40/1. We are struggling at the moment but there is a very very low chance of relegation. 

1 hour ago, TWar said:

Dunno why people keep saying this. If you think there is even a 5% chance of us going down stick some money on it, sky bet have it at 40/1. We are struggling at the moment but there is a very very low chance of relegation. 

Yep.

Next season though: that's the worry.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TWar said:

What kind of run are we on at the moment?  2 wins in 17 games?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SuperSAINT said:

What kind of run are we on at the moment?  2 wins in 17 games?

Our average points in the last 17 games has been 0.58 points per game. Even if we keep that exact form up for the last 9 games then that is another 5.2 points putting us on an average of 38.2 points. This would be enough to keep us up every year since 2011, and every year before then since 2003. There is a reason the bookies are giving us 40/1. This panic needs to end. We are having a bad time, but our actual danger is pretty low.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, TWar said:

Our average points in the last 17 games has been 0.58 points per game. Even if we keep that exact form up for the last 9 games then that is another 5.2 points putting us on an average of 38.2 points. This would be enough to keep us up every year since 2011, and every year before then since 2003. There is a reason the bookies are giving us 40/1. This panic needs to end. We are having a bad time, but our actual danger is pretty low.

You don't understand. We are not panicking, we are FORWARD panicking with next season in mind.

7 hours ago, TWar said:

I’m not sure anyone is really panicking and I’m also not sure our average points per game makes a difference. 

Ultimately, we need probably 6 points (38 points) to be 100% safe. We should get 2 wins from our remaining fixtures, but would I be surprised if we didn’t pick up another win? In our current form, no. 

Burnley will Be tough, exactly the sort of team who does well against us, but if we don’t beat them and or West Brom, I’ll be very worried. 

• Like 2

On 15/03/2021 at 12:56, S-Clarke said:

All this thread is doing is highlighting that getting rid of Ralph would be daft.

And I think all this will improve him as a manager. I would think/hope he'll develop his tactics as it's glaringly obvious where we're going wrong on and off the pitch. Once his hands are untied and funds available to build a squad in his making then we'll know for sure. Results and form have been erratic but he's had to work with a limited and mostly average bunch of players, if he's forced out I think someone else will benefit from all this.

Edited by alehouseboys

1 hour ago, alehouseboys said:

And I think all this will improve him as a manager. I would think/hope he'll develop his tactics as it's glaringly obvious where we're going wrong on and off the pitch. Once his hands are untied and funds available to build a squad in his making then we'll know for sure. Results and form have been erratic but he's had to work with a limited and mostly average bunch of players, if he's forced out I think someone else will benefit from all this.

Is he going to tear up and rewrite his book on how we play at every level throughout the club then?

11 hours ago, TWar said:

30-1 now and falling. Like us.

I am firmly in the Ralph-in camp, but as a choice in the future I can imagine Jose Fonte might make a good Manager.

Big character, good professional, commands respect, has worked under a series of very good Managers and knows how successful teams operate.

• Like 3

On 14/03/2021 at 20:18, James said:

Of that list I’d go for Thomas Frank. Not sure he would leave Brentford to join us though. Gerrard would be great but won’t happen.

Gerrard's learnt from Lampards failure. He'll want to prove himself at a lower Prem team before going to Liverpool or another big team.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Dusic said:

I am firmly in the Ralph-in camp, but as a choice in the future I can imagine Jose Fonte might make a good Manager.

Big character, good professional, commands respect, has worked under a series of very good Managers and knows how successful teams operate.

Agree. Not sure he’s the man just yet though, but yep I’d want him back at some point. 

2 hours ago, Dusic said:

Me to and that is a good shout

18 hours ago, Dusic said:

There are so many players with these characteristics who have failed as managers.

• Sad 1

Lets keep RH because we cannot attract anyone better!

Are you sure, a recent record of 4 out of 48point and that includes one win against the worst side in the PL, listen to yourselves

I think anyone we chose could match that and probably better it

I believe that our supporters are shot away like the manager, no ideas and to late to see need for a change. Why believe what is not working will work with no obvious proof it will. In fact the opposite is the case the evidence since the beginning of the year is that a change is required.

I like RH but I liked people who worked for me but if they were not doing the job and there was no sign of improvement I got rid of them. So it not about liking people it about results

The players are not that bad just give them a system of play where they can compete, move the ball quicker and stop passing back and whoever is manager you will see an improvement.

Failing that we will be in the Championship this year or the next and RH system won’t work there.

We want a manager who can use the players he has to form a team, and not a manager who plays a system that he does not have the players for.

• Like 2