Southampton 1-1 Leicester - Match Thread

fanimal

Interesting that Martin Tyler called Armstrong ‘a real Scot’ after previously mentioning Che Adams’ Scotland appearances.
Expect it to be ignored (and probably rightly given no malice was meant), however, given the social media blackout and attention Sky have given to taking the knee, would a similar comment have been acceptable if made against someone like John Barnes not being a proper Englishman?

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Just now, Whitey Grandad said:

9-0 mentioned again. Lazy journalism.

Waiting for him to talk about some strands of Islam believe in beheading infidels and shagging virgins. Seems to be going rogue talking about real jocks

• Like 1

Just now, SKD said:

They did. Said it was denying a goal scoring opportunity.....

Exactly. My understanding is that the VAR looks at every red card. Why are people saying he didn’t. Chances are he did, and agreed with the ref (not saying that it’s right), just don’t understand where this “why didn’t they look at it” comes from. 

3 minutes ago, VictiAbNonem said:

We're looking better with ten men and no Ings than we did in the semi.

I was just thinking that.

We're playing really well considering we usually collapse when we lose a man early.

Salisu should have started. He looks good here today.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, JustinSFC said:

I was just thinking that.

We're playing really well considering we usually collapse when we lose a man early.

Salisu should have started. He looks good here today.

Change of system,  be interesting to see what happens when their energy levels drop.

To me I feels like refs are briefed to go easy on some teams and hard on others. Take for instance the semi, Diallo was booked for his first rash challenge, fair enough, but then within about 10 minutes Leicester made 3 very similar rash challenges, one of them arguably worse than Diallo and no red. Jank had a rush of blood up at OT, a good ref would have acknowledged it was a bad challenge and a young lad full of adrenaline and just cautioned him.

It's like they want to use any excuse possible to punish certain teams with marginal offsides, penalties and, red cards.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, OttawaSaint said:

To me I feels like refs are briefed to go easy on some teams and hard on others. Take for instance the semi, Diallo was booked for his first rash challenge, fair enough, but then within about 10 minutes Leicester made 3 very similar rash challenges, one of them arguably worse than Diallo and no red. Jank had a rush of blood up at OT, a good ref would have acknowledged it was a bad challenge and a young lad full of adrenaline and just cautioned him.

It's like they want to use any excuse possible to punish certain teams with marginal offsides, penalties and, red cards.

This. All VAR has done is given them a 2nd (and even more opaque) chance to ensure the required EPL Narrative/Script plays out.

Edited by Saint86

Just now, OttawaSaint said:

I just think they are incompetent and ball-less, the lower less well supported clubs are soft targets 

• Like 1

Credit where it’s due. Defensively we’ve been pretty solid since the Red card. 2 banks of 4 offering little to no space. 

obviously we have nothing going forward, but a draw would feel like a loss at the moment, I think. 

Leicester aren’t great, I’m surprised they’re where they are in the league. 

1 minute ago, The Cat said:

They've barely had a shot, we are defending very well. 

Makes you wonder what we'd have done with eleven also makes you wonder what went through vesterguards head? What was he thinking 

1 minute ago, OttawaSaint said:

And why would we be one of those teams? 

The only complaint I have is that they use clubs like us to break in inexperienced referees. That’s the issue here, not bias. He’s just a inexperienced  ref who made a mistake. 

1 minute ago, JustinSFC said:

Good half that.

Ralph got that right after the red.

I agree. I’d still Have kept Tella on to offer us something going forward on the counter, but we’ve done alright. 

1 minute ago, Saint_clark said:

I find it interesting that this referee is considered experienced enough for Premier League games but has never worked on a game featuring one of the franchise 6. 

That’s always been the way. Mike Riley’s first game was up at Leicester against Saints. MLT got set off for handballing a ball that was blasted at him from two yards.

They are trying too hard.

Just now, Lord Duckhunter said:

And why would we be one of those teams? 

The only complaint I have is that they use clubs like us to break in inexperienced referees. That’s the issue here, not bias. He’s just a inexperienced  ref who made a mistake. 

Yep. This bias talk is ridiculous. 

4 minutes ago, OttawaSaint said:

😂😂 don’t talk shit. There’s no agenda, they’re just rubbish. 

• Like 1

• Lighthouse changed the title to Southampton 1-1 Leicester - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic