Southampton 1-1 Leicester - Match Thread

fanimal

My goodness do we owe this lot one!

should never have lost up there;

should have turned up at Wembley;

let’s hope Palace do us a favour somehow 

At least we will have had 4 extra days rest and training focus so just get a result please 

Leicester will know if they beat Palace and us this week they'll go a long way to securing champions league qualification,  I'd love to beat them to put a dent in that but just can't see it with Saints at the moment. 

Any news on Ings injury? 

9 hours ago, fanimal said:

let’s hope Palace do us a favour somehow 

I'm struggling to work out what favour Palace can do for us? Palace winning five nil or losing five nil makes no difference to how we'd get on.

Maybe just go out and intentionally cripple some Leicester players? 

image.png.bfeddc813b94f386513bd72684918975.png

Some depressing results against these at home - the 4-1 defeat in 2017/2018 was the one we were all calling for Pellegrino's head if I remember correctly. 

I can only see this going one way too sadly; I think we will start strong but without Ings we're toothless and so come second half when we try to go for a win, they'll see us off on the counter attack easily

Saints 0 - 2 Leicester

37 minutes ago, nta786 said:

image.png.bfeddc813b94f386513bd72684918975.png

Some depressing results against these at home - the 4-1 defeat in 2017/2018 was the one we were all calling for Pellegrino's head if I remember correctly. 

I can only see this going one way too sadly; I think we will start strong but without Ings we're toothless and so come second half when we try to go for a win, they'll see us off on the counter attack easily

Saints 0 - 2 Leicester

Even the win in that run was tainted by the VVD injury. 

Did we have five different managers for those? RH (0-9), Hughes (1-2), Pelligrino (1-4), Puel (3-0), Koeman (2-2). 

1 hour ago, jawillwill said:

We always play well against Leicester.

Comfortable 3-1 victory. Che, Minamino and Jankewitz with the goals.

Bednerak and Vestergaard won't give Vardy a sniff.

About as likely as Ralph playing 433

38 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Yet we're on the same points and we couldn't beat them when they had 9 men. 

I actually found that defeat more depressing than the 9-0, at least there were mitigating circumstances for the Man United debacle. In order of worst performances, I'd go:

1. WBA away 

2. Newcastle away 

3. Man United away  

4. Tottenham home

5. Man City away 

Have I missed any ?   (there are quite a few to choose from .......) 

1 minute ago, WALK DMC said:

I actually found that defeat more depressing than the 9-0, at least there were mitigating circumstances for the Man United debacle. In order of worst performances, I'd go:

1. WBA away 

2. Newcastle away 

3. Man United away  

4. Tottenham home

5. Man City away 

The second half against Brighton was pretty woeful. As was the second half against Leeds, they could easily have scored another 2 or 3. Man United was bad but agree Newcastle was just depressing, 3 awful goals conceded and playing for 40 mins against 10 men, then 20 against 9 and we barely looked like scoring. 

15 minutes ago, WALK DMC said:

1. WBA away 

2. Newcastle away 

3. Man United away  

4. Tottenham home

5. Man City away 

Man City game we didn’t even play that bad considering our level, just the difference quality between the teams is that large.

56 minutes ago, Nemi said:

Man City game we didn’t even play that bad considering our level, just the difference quality between the teams is that large.

They stuck 5 past us, had a stone wall penalty not given and didn’t get out of second gear. 

We didnt play well at all. 

1 hour ago, WALK DMC said:

1. WBA away 

2. Newcastle away 

3. Man United away  

4. Tottenham home

5. Man City away 

Leeds away was much worse than City, and I had to watch it with my step dad who is a Leeds fan.

We played ok against City but were let down by the usual shite defending.

I think one important thing to note too is Leicester play tonight, and then play us 4 days later. Therefore, we will have had an extra 5 day's rest over them.

It wouldn't be just Ralph's tactical nous I'd be questioning if they look so much fitter than us, but: a) his coaching/fitness methods and  b) whether the players are either on the beach or simply not giving Ralph their all

1 hour ago, SKD said:

They stuck 5 past us, had a stone wall penalty not given and didn’t get out of second gear. 

Not sure where I said they played well, just said that the scoreline just reflects how much of a better quality team they are. There were a lot of performances that were worse.

1 hour ago, Nemi said:

Not sure where I said they played well, just said that the scoreline just reflects how much of a better quality team they are. There were a lot of performances that were worse.

It could have easily been 6/7/8/9-2 had City wanted it to be. Had their not been the 9-0 A week or so before, people would have been going wild about the performance. 

Shocking that it’s even justified because it wasn’t as bad as others, which in itself is a big concern 

4 hours ago, SKD said:

We played well for 20 minutes against one of the best sides on europe (arguably the the best), lots of pundits, lots on here recognised it and even Pep himself said it.

Eventually we were outclassed as most teams are but let's ignore anything positive shall we.

We are capable of playing some good stuff but why we aren't at the moment for a whole game is mystery to the team, Ralf and certainly the fans. No one likes it or excuses it despite some loons saying we do. If we had just tried to shut up shop for a point and lost 3 nil it would have been a slag fest, particularly from you.

The ability and performances are in there somewhere and we need the coaches and the players to find it again. 

10 minutes ago, Chapel End said:

We played well for 20 minutes against one of the best sides on europe (arguably the the best), lots of pundits, lots on here recognised it and even Pep himself said it.

Not this pony again. 

Funny enough I was listening to Keys and Grey podcast today with Tony Pullis, he literally addressed this point with a story. When  Stoke were promoted, Alex Ferguson and gave him 2 bits of advise . Firstly, make your home a fortress because you won’t win many away games. And secondly, if you get praise from the top managers you’re doing something wrong.

Unbelievable that we get dicked by a half arsed City side and our supporters are excited school girls because Pep flirted with them. Noddy club behaviour. We got stuffed, that’s the be all and end all of it. They didn’t lift a leg and stuffed us. 

Edited by Lord Duckhunter
  • Like 2

Just now, Lord Duckhunter said:

Not this pony again. 

Funny enough I was listening to Keys and Grey podcast today with Tony Pullis, he literally addressed this point with a story. When  Stoke were promoted, Alex Ferguson and gave him 2 bits of advise . Firstly, make your home a fortress because you won’t win many away games. And secondly, if you get praise from the top managers you’re doing something wrong.

Unbelievable that we get dicked by a half arsed City side and our supporters are excited school girls because Pep flirted with them. Noddy club 

Pony this, pony that..... Change the record mush.

Its and opinion shared by others, try and respect it for a change.

• Like 8

5 hours ago, WALK DMC said:

1. WBA away 

2. Newcastle away 

3. Man United away  

4. Tottenham home

5. Man City away 

Leeds away, Brighton home spring to mind 

3 minutes ago, Chapel End said:

Pony this, pony that..... Change the record mush.

Its and opinion shared by others, try and respect it for a change.

Take off the Ralph spectacles man, and face reality. You’re clutching at straws again. You talk about changing the record, but you’re obsessed with certain aspects of our defeats. VAR, the referee, Peps words. The city game was actually one of the worst aspects of this run. We minced about only playing when it didn’t really matter, happy to be patted on the head by Pep, thankful that they didn’t try too hard. Had they needed 9, they’d have got them that day, no doubt about that. 

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

There’s some from last season as well. Burnley, Wolves, Newcastle, were absolutely woeful. 

Burnley last season was when I first started to think Ralph was out of his depth.

That was tactically fucking abysmal and he was completely out thought by Dyche in that one.

Edited by JustinSFC

4 hours ago, Dorchester Saint said:

Palace currently beating them 0-1.....if it stays this way, Leicester will have a point to prove, luckily they have the Premier Leagues gutless whipping boys up next. 

Schrödinger's opponent: simultaneously oozing with confidence due to a resounding win and going to deliver a backlash due to a demoralizing defeat. We won’t know until the first ball is kicked.

• Like 1

Madness that you can still get odds-against Leicester to win in this game.

Very hard to see anything but a convincing win for the Foxes to help cement a well deserved CL spot. 

We're absolute Pony and will, almost certainly, play the same way we did against them in the SF just a few weeks ago. Scouting us as an opposition must be the easiest job in the world. 

1 hour ago, supersonic said:

Madness that you can still get odds-against Leicester to win in this game.

Very hard to see anything but a convincing win for the Foxes to help cement a well deserved CL spot. 

We're absolute Pony and will, almost certainly, play the same way we did against them in the SF just a few weeks ago. Scouting us as an opposition must be the easiest job in the world. 

I can see us playing differently. We were paralysed by caution/fear in that semi. Less to lose in this one.

Not saying we'll win, mind

• Lighthouse changed the title to Southampton 1-1 Leicester - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic