Southampton 1-1 Leicester - Match Thread

fanimal

1 hour ago, Turkish said:

Leicester at home, friday night, bad form, them in good form, few key players injured. What could possibly go wrong.

All we need is to add some rain and we've got all the makings for a drubbing.

I can't remember the last time our players ever won when it was raining

1 hour ago, Diabolus Ex Machina said:

Forster

KWP      Bednarek             Vestergaard       Salisu

JWP                       Diallo

Armstrong                                         Djenepo

Walcott                Adams

Subs: McCarthy, Redmond, Minamino, Tella, Obafemi, Stephens, N’Lundulu, Jankewitz, Ferry

Think that’s the strongest team we can put out. Ings and Bertrand both big misses but Walcott and Adams have done ok together previously this season when Ings has been out and as Bertrand hasn’t been as active going forward this season then the more defensive Salisu may not make his absence as noticeable.

Redmond, Minamino, Tella and Obafemi all attacking options off the bench if we are chasing the game – I just hope that if Redmond is to come on then it isn’t at the expense of either of the front two as he’s proven to be completely ineffectual whenever he’s played there this season (same with Tella actually). Would much prefer to stick Obafemi up there if one of them comes off if he’s fit enough.

I'd start Minamino or Obefami over Walcott. I don't see what Minamino has done wrong to be written off RH and a lot of the fans (on here).

29 minutes ago, nta786 said:

You could say that about almost every weather condition 

Yep, pretty sure Hasenhuttl said Obafemi was ruled out of this game. 

Can’t see us getting anything out of this but would go something like:

Forster

KWP, Stephens, Vestergaard, Salisu

JWP, Armstrong

Walcott, Tella 

Adams, Minamino

Bednarek needs to be dropped for his benefit, though bringing in Stephens probably won’t improve anything. Apart from that, might as well try a new front 4 combo and just hope they provide something; though again, they’ll probably prove to be just as toothless as the last.

Edited by Nemi
  • Haha 1

Don’t see the point in playing Minamino. He won’t be here next season and he offers no more than the others. For me, Tella and Adams have to start, and then the other 3 positions (CM, and 2 of 4 attacking spots) come from Walcott, Moussa, Diallo, Armstrong and Redmond. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nta786 said:

I can't remember the last time our players won

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Toussaint said:

I'd start Minamino or Obefami over Walcott. I don't see what Minamino has done wrong to be written off RH and a lot of the fans (on here).

I think it's more to do with what Minamino hasn't done. Apart from 2 goals he has contributed next to nothing, and is too light weight for the PL. 

My team tonight would be:

Forster; KWP, Stephens, Vestergaard, Salisu; Armstrong, JWP, Jankewitz, Minamino; Adams, Tella

Then I would look to bring on Theo, Moussa, N'Lundulu or Diallo to come on in the second half to freshen things up.

Hopefully we can get a positive result tonight without both Danny and Ryan :) I want revenge for the last couple of games we've played against them. 2-1 to us Adams and Minamino - COYR :)

Edited by davefizzy14
  • Like 2

52 minutes ago, VectisSaint said:

I think it's more to do with what Minamino hasn't done. Apart from 2 goals he has contributed next to nothing, and is too light weight for the PL. 

I think he needed more games to be judged in fairness. He clearly ran out of steam in games, which is not surprising as he's hardly played.

Edited by Toussaint
typo

I get the feeling Minamino's not playing so much because Liverpool have likely said to us we can't buy him so no point giving him minutes.

If that really is the reason then I say its stupidity - he's a better option than what we have and if his goals propel us an extra few places that could give us £4m to £6m

4 minutes ago, nta786 said:

I get the feeling Minamino's not playing so much because Liverpool have likely said to us we can't buy him so no point giving him minutes.

If that really is the reason then I say its stupidity - he's a better option than what we have and if his goals propel us an extra few places that could give us £4m to £6m

I think it's more likely the other way round.

He's nowhere near good enough for Liverpool, he barely adds anything here.

He's not better than anything we've got in that position and it's pointless Ralph playing him.

12 minutes ago, nta786 said:

Well, obviously not. He was sent here assuming a win/win for both clubs. We get a decent loan signing with something to prove, who might add something to the team and get us some points.

Liverpool get to see if their loan signing can do it in the Premier League. It was a little mutually agreeable arrangement cooked up on deadline day.

The point is that he hasn't done enough to be any better than the others: he's just as average I guess.

I wouldn’t mind seeing him start today, somebody different. I don't think he's going to make much difference to our season though. His goals were good to begin with.

51 minutes ago, JustinSFC said:

I think it's more likely the other way round.

He's nowhere near good enough for Liverpool, he barely adds anything here.

He's not better than anything we've got in that position and it's pointless Ralph playing him.

I'd like to see if he is better then Redmond or Walcott, given a run,  which I think he would be.

1 hour ago, Toussaint said:

I think he needed more games to be judged in fairness. He clearly ran out of steam in games, which is not surprising as he's hardly played.

He was given quite a few games and bar the 2 goals showed absolutely nothing. It was clear Ralph was unimpressed despite the initial optimism. You can't keep playing someone who is clearly not good enough, especially when there is no benefit long term. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Toussaint said:

I'd like to see if he is better then Redmond or Walcott, given a run,  which I think he would be.

Why? We're not going to buy him, he's not going to be here next season...I'd rather Moussa got more of a chance to do something than play Minamino for someone elses benefit!

It may not surprise many to know that I personally hope our lot  turn up tonight and prove that Leicester got lucky with us as they weren't very good on the day either. Wonder how soon the 9-0 will get a mention. Surely we can do better than the last fiasco. I won't hold my breath.

Edited by hasper57saint
Removal of word

15 minutes ago, whiteleySaint30 said:

What is it with Obefami - he's garbage.......

We have a lot of garbage, he’s fresh garbage with the possibility of recycling himself, a lot of our garbage is well on the downward slope and will only decompose and decay further. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I was irrationally optimistic at least for a draw earlier in the week but now have that sinking feeling of dread. I'm not sure that I can put myself through watching it live but I probably will !!

COYR we are due an undeserved result, even a point.

1 minute ago, CB Fry said:

Now the club have not put the teamsheet on twitter I have now decided to not be racist anymore.

But it obviously won't stop you being a  *anker.

There is obviously no single line up that will stop the complaints so I'm back to my guest and see you all later.

Now I like Jack Stephens, does his job. We know what we get with him. As a 4th choice CH he is OK, but wtf is he doing at LB.

Madness when Salisu was the one bright spot from the last dismal game.

Stephens for Bendarek I could accept. Mix it up a bit, but not this 

• Like 1

• Lighthouse changed the title to Southampton vs Leicester - Match Thread
8 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

Now the club have not put the teamsheet on twitter I have now decided to not be racist anymore.

I already gave up my racist ways after seeing the teams take the knee before the match last week. The first 42 times, I was completely oblivious as to what the message was supposed to be but wouldn’t you know it, that 43rd time did the trick.

Anyway, the team....hmmmmm. 😐

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• Lighthouse changed the title to Southampton 1-1 Leicester - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic