Predictions for 2021-22 Season

Edmonton Saint

On 11/08/2021 at 04:54, Paulwantsapint81 said:

With Chelsea being our new friend can see Frank Lampard being seen as an alternative to RH after getting difficult start out of way

ooh there's a thought

8 minutes ago, Saint Martini said:

https://statsbomb.com/2021/08/southampton-season-preview-2021-22/

Statsbomb are less gloomy than I am of Saints chances this year. Let's hope they're right and not me.

On Goalie

Unfortunately, a lot of the blame on the defensive end has to fall on Alex McCarthy’s shoulders. The goalkeeper enjoyed a solid shot-stopping season in 2019/20—second only to Hugo Lloris in our shot-stopping metric, based on the quality of shots faced—but completely regressed in 2020/21, putting in the worst season by that measure for goalkeepers with >1200 minutes played. He seemed to develop a real weakness for shots to his right-hand side in particular.

On prospects for the season

The underlying numbers give cause for encouragement that they should at least match last year's points total and keep the relegation scrap at arm's length. In the bigger picture, a summer of squad turnover and regeneration towards younger players with less Premier League experience is designed to be a long-term blessing, but it could be a short-term curse if the incomings are unable to adapt straight away. But that said, Hasenhüttl’s style does lend itself towards youthful exuberance, and the new blood could be the refresh that the Southampton squad needs. It’s hard to see Southampton springing a surprise on the division, but they’ll be looking to take a step forward in their ambition to rise back up the Premier League table again

Edited by Convict Colony

Each week I will be also rooting for any side playing against  Brentford,Norwich and Watford…..as their failure will be our only saving grace from relegation. 
Our destiny will not be in our own hands. 
Im not confident we are stronger in any department than last season….and I have little confidence in Ralph making correct decisions both pre match and in game. 
Ironically however I would like to see Thomas Frank do quite well,as I’d take him over Ralph. 
so perhaps If Burnley can be shite also, that would be a bonus. 

Edited by saint lard

5 minutes ago, saint lard said:

Each week I will be also rooting for any side playing against  Brentford,Norwich and Watford…..as their failure will be our only saving grace from relegation. 
Im not confident we are stronger in any department than last season….and I have little confidence in Ralph making correct decisions both pre match and in game. 
Ironically however I would like to see Thomas Frank do quite well,as I’d take him over Ralph. 

I’m not confident of Man City’s chances of retaining the title either. Their destiny won’t be in their own hands, they’re relying on all 19 other teams being worse than them. Would be a pretty unlikely coincidence.

10 minutes ago, saint lard said:

It's very hard to call this season, it could be a complete and utter car crash or we could surprise a few and push towards top 10. We have a lot of new players, everything feels refreshed in terms of age and some of the key positions (up top, full back and potentially cb). Arguably it's the freshening up we've been crying out for but it's had to come at the expense of losing some starters in order to create the budget.

10 games should paint a fair picture, as is always a decent benchmark.

I'm going 10th havng seen Armstron'g highlight reel. I did fear for us when we didn't have someone who could take a shot first time or pass the ball into the corner. Most of our strikers work well on instinct it's when they have time they struggle and then get closed down or make the wrong decision. Armstrong doesn't strike me as that sort. it doesn't matter if you are a Championship goalie or Donnarumma a curled shot off the post doesn't get saved. Perhaps he might have a crack at the central free kicks? JWP always goes top left - Armstrong popped a couple to the keepers right top bins. it would keep them guessing.
We will score goals this season and the Bednarek/Salisu partnership will do well. The team have had a pre-season this year so we will hopefully not have the horrendous drop off we saw just after Christmas when the injuires bit. The players that were'nt injured (and the manager) looked mentally shot, so hopefully we will not get a repeat of that. 

A good season for me would be 14th. Anything above that and I think we're punching above our weight. It seems every season I set my sights a little lower, as the resources of other clubs gets that bit bigger. I thought 12th would have made for a good season last time out (without predicting the great form, followed by the dreadful run).

The loss of experienced premier league starters is another worry. But then, I was even more concerned when Shaw/Lovren/Lambert left. That was years ago and we survived just fine.

14 minutes ago, JRM said:

I've seen nothing to change my mind on 19th so far. 

We remind me of the team that went down from the championship. There are some good young players in there and we’ll probably have a few good results when we get away with it. We play quite nice football but so easy to play and score against. Everton won quite comfortably in end without really doing very much. 

1 hour ago, Turkish said:

We remind me of the team that went down from the championship. There are some good young players in there and we’ll probably have a few good results when we get away with it. We play quite nice football but so easy to play and score against. Everton won quite comfortably in end without really doing very much. 

Everton fans can't believe their luck, 5 isolating players, Calvert-Lewin carrying a knock, Richarlison hasn't stopped all summer, we were the perfect opponent for them 

We look like Sheff Utd. The whole demeanour of a beaten dog. 

Either Ralph needs to change his ways (stubbornness and weird subs) or leave and we get in someone who looks at our deficiencies and works on them. You never hear him say, “we concede too many, we’ve got to get the defensive tactics and organization right and then go from there”.

I think we tend to concede too many and can't adapt our game enough to counter tactics from the opposition. I think we have probably the worst keeper in the league, an inexperienced and young back line without much height, we lack depth in cm and so are relying on romeu and jwp too much. We have average wide men but our attack should be above average on paper although Armstrong is still unproven in the prem. 

For the first time since we got promoted I think I'm going to predict relegation if reports are true that our transfer activity is done and we are bringing in a cheap CB option that most reports suggest isn't up to much and lacks experience. 

Edited by hypochondriac
  • Like 1

Our last summer signing looks to be someone no better than we have I think. Armstrong is a good player and will get goals, Adams is a competent premier league striker now. We’ve signed a few players with great potential but our soft centre will be our undoing. Can’t defend, two crap goalkeepers. We can’t do the ugly stuff. Don’t concede don’t lose as boring as it is. We concede far too easily. At best a relegation battle, starting to think we’ll go this year. 

8 hours ago, cloggy saint said:

Hopefully an exciting relegation battle that sees us finish 17th or above, much more interesting than stagnating around mid-table.

Relegation battles that see us barely survive may be fun to look back on after a few years, but are horrible at the time. Give me a boring mid-table finish any time.

• 2 weeks later...

Now that the transfer window has closed and we are 3 matches into the season, does anyone want to revise their earlier predictions (if made) or want to make one now? For the revision question, especially looking at the 33 who have predicted relegation either directly, by backing those who have, or arguing against those haven't. See list below (with some caveats):

DarrenLeTiss; SKD / Dman (same person);  angelman (although did say 17-20); bazza; saint1977; DT; LGTL; croydon saint; Golac's Iron Gonads; Dusic; Give it to Ron; aintforever; Lord Duckhunter; CB Fry (also said 17-20); Lee On Solent Saint (Heart 15/16 - Head 18-20); Stknowle; beattlesaint; Kyle04; JRM; Patrick Bateman; WestMidSaint; hypochondriac; Pat from Poole; Saint WGC; Saint Michael; AlexLaw1976; Supersubpuckett; hackedoff; steveo; Bakovnetski; ErwinK1961 (didn't give an actual prediction, more hinted at relegation) and Turkish (predicted relegation, then top 4, then relegation again, but I have seen on another thread he said 12th-15th - all over the shop? Never.)

Personally, I am sticking with my 12th-15th - if forced for one definite position, 14th. 

• Like 1

I'm sticking to 17-20. I think it perfectly possible for A Armstrong and Livramento to be outstanding but we can still be in the relegation mix because defensively weak from centre mid to goalie and we are bottlers.

Maybe optimistically we might scrape 16th.

I think our first team is weaker than last year and the "we've got a bigger squad" thing i think is being over played, especially with our goalkeepers and CBs. I'd rather have a better team.

3 hours ago, Minsk said:

Now that the transfer window has closed and we are 3 matches into the season, does anyone want to revise their earlier predictions (if made) or want to make one now? For the revision question, especially looking at the 33 who have predicted relegation either directly, by backing those who have, or arguing against those haven't. See list below (with some caveats):

DarrenLeTiss; SKD / Dman (same person);  angelman (although did say 17-20); bazza; saint1977; DT; LGTL; croydon saint; Golac's Iron Gonads; Dusic; Give it to Ron; aintforever; Lord Duckhunter; CB Fry (also said 17-20); Lee On Solent Saint (Heart 15/16 - Head 18-20); Stknowle; beattlesaint; Kyle04; JRM; Patrick Bateman; WestMidSaint; hypochondriac; Pat from Poole; Saint WGC; Saint Michael; AlexLaw1976; Supersubpuckett; hackedoff; steveo; Bakovnetski; ErwinK1961 (didn't give an actual prediction, more hinted at relegation) and Turkish (predicted relegation, then top 4, then relegation again, but I have seen on another thread he said 12th-15th - all over the shop? Never.)

Personally, I am sticking with my 12th-15th - if forced for one definite position, 14th. 

Ralph should just pin those names on changing room wall. What more motivation do they need?

• Like 2

We did a fair amount of business in August to be fair. I didn't want to make a prediction that early on as so much as up in the air, but we've got the strikers in now, we've got the CB, we've got proper cover at full back.

If...if...Lyanco turns out to be a steal and Armstrong can half translate his Championship form then 11/12th - outside chance of Top 10.

If the CB signing is poor, Armstrong struggles a little in his first season and we end up not scoring enough.....17th. But right on the brink.

We did reasonable business to bulk out the squad, and whether we do well depends on how well Lyanco, AArmstrong and Perraud fully settle in. By my estimation we have 21 'winnable' points between now and the end of November (excluding the unlikely, but possible (as the point against United showed) chance we get something against a top team) and how we fare this season will be determinant on how many of those points we get. 21 points by the end of November and we are looking at mid-table or better. 15-21 should see us lower mid-table, 10-15 and it's a relegation battle ahead for us. Fewer than 10 from those fixtures and we are probably going down unless something major changes.

We also have a smattering of 'winnable' games over the Christmas/New Year period.

It's so tricky to predict this season as we haven't had a summer with so much movement since the Koeman days. Tighten up the defence and we have a good chance of mid-table again. We need to stay up this season, for no other reason than next summer we can actually sign a decent keeper and really make strides to improve the first team. The problem is that this is probably the toughest set of teams in the Premier League we've faced in years, and the top 4 have really improved, so taking points off them will be so much more difficult. (Yes I know we have one already against United but with Ronaldo there now, no Varane and Sancho starting and the likes of Rashford injured, we met them at a good time.) We need to beat the teams we think will be in and around us, home AND away, and hope we can get a few points from the likes of West Ham, Leicester etc when they have off days.

I think we will have 11 points after ten games . If that continues throughout then we should be reasonably comfortable. It’s just too early to call, if we don’t pick up points where we should then confidence could be a factor. Conversely if we get some points where we wouldn’t expect to it could lead to a run. In conclusion, I haven’t a clue 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Minsk said:

As you say, never predicted relegation - however I do fear for us as we haven't improved the weak spine we have (GK, CB, DM), so I'll go 18th.

Well I'm gonna buck the trend here and say I think we will do alright and finish comfortably mid-table.

I know it all went to shit from January onwards, but people seem to forget that our form over the calendar year in 2020 was top four. That's no blip. The PL is an unforgiving league so you can't fluke a run like that. 

IMO the reason it all went so horribly wrong is because Ralph's system requires high intensity, that we were just incapable of sustaining due to the horrendous injury crisis and the condensed season, meaning we couldn't rotate and what fit players we had were being forced to play for 90 minutes twice a week without a break. It's no wonder our second half performances dropped off so much.

Yes we've lost Ings' goals, and that is a big miss of course. But Che has improved a lot from this time last year, and he and Arma already look like they are forming a decent partnership and between them I reckon they will easily score 20+ this year.

Now that Salisu has settled he already looks better than JV ever was, with Lyanco taking his place from last season as the unproven backup CB. 

Perraud looks to be at least as good as Bertrand was in his last couple of seasons, if not better, and we have decent cover at FB now, where we had none last season at all.

So our starting 11 looks only marginally weaker than the one that briefly topped the table last Autumn, and we have much better depth now to absorb any injuries we may suffer. With the season less condensed, and having our recovery facilities available to us again, injured players won't miss as many games as they did/would have done last season either.

So, despite the obvious weaknesses we have, I'm actually fairly confident we'll do OK, and I'm going to predict we'll finish somewhere between 9th-12th.

And, yes, if we end up really struggling then please feel free to stuff this post back down my throat any time you wish.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Sheaf Saint said:

Well I'm gonna buck the trend here and say I think we will do alright and finish comfortably mid-table.

I know it all went to shit from January onwards, but people seem to forget that our form over the calendar year in 2020 was top four. That's no blip. The PL is an unforgiving league so you can't fluke a run like that. 

IMO the reason it all went so horribly wrong is because Ralph's system requires high intensity, that we were just incapable of sustaining due to the horrendous injury crisis and the condensed season, meaning we couldn't rotate and what fit players we had were being forced to play for 90 minutes twice a week without a break. It's no wonder our second half performances dropped off so much.

Yes we've lost Ings' goals, and that is a big miss of course. But Che has improved a lot from this time last year, and he and Arma already look like they are forming a decent partnership and between them I reckon they will easily score 20+ this year.

Now that Salisu has settled he already looks better than JV ever was, with Lyanco taking his place from last season as the unproven backup CB. 

Perraud looks to be at least as good as Bertrand was in his last couple of seasons, if not better, and we have decent cover at FB now, where we had none last season at all.

So our starting 11 looks only marginally weaker than the one that briefly topped the table last Autumn, and we have much better depth now to absorb any injuries we may suffer. With the season less condensed, and having our recovery facilities available to us again, injured players won't miss as many games as they did/would have done last season either.

So, despite the obvious weaknesses we have, I'm actually fairly confident we'll do OK, and I'm going to predict we'll finish somewhere between 9th-12th.

And, yes, if we end up really struggling then please feel free to stuff this post back down my throat any time you wish.

Brave post that in Saintsweb-Land ;)

Agree with you and thus I'm sticking with my 10th prediction :)

Edited by trousers

14 minutes ago, Sheaf Saint said:

Pretty much agree with all of this. 

As you say, we are slightly weaker in our starting 11; which we were always going to be with Ings leaving. That said, I also think Arma can match his 12 goals this season or, at least, he and Che will match the tally of Ings and Che last season. I also agree that thus far Salisu looks a definite upgrade on Vestergaard. Sali certainly looks to be our best CB.

I'm not wholly convinced by Perraud yet. I certainly don't think he is as good as Bertie was when he joined us, but he has certainly shown potential and definitely gets up and down the line far more than Ryan did last season. But, as was proved against Newcastle, we also have KWP who can do a good job at LB - as well as a great one at RB.

For a good comparison these were the line-ups for the first 3 matches of last season:

1st Palace away (lost) - McCarthy; KWP, Stephens, Bednarek, Bertrand; Romeu, JWP; Redmond, Smallbone; Ings, Adams

2nd Spurs home (lost) - McCarthy; KWP, Stephens, Bednarek, Bertrand; Romeu, JWP, Djenepo, Armstrong; Ings, Adams

3rd Burnley away (won) - McCarthy; KWP, Bednarek, Vestgrd, Bertrand; Romeu, JWP; Djenepo, Armstrong; Ings, Adams

Pretty much the same team as the third match then went on a 7 match unbeaten run - the exception being the 10s were rotated with Redmond, Walcott, Djenepo and Armstrong coming in and out of the starting 11.

So, in reality, all we have lost is Bertrand (replaced with Perraud/KWP - equal to if not upgrade on last season), Vestergaard (replaced with Salisu - far more mobile but less experienced, so, again, at least equal to) and Ings (replaced with A Armstrong - slight downgrade). However, as you say, we now have far more strength in depth - certainly at RB and LB; debateable at CB, frustratingly equal in CM (although Diallo is now more experienced and somewhat improved); more options for the 10 (and Moi is proving me wrong by putting in a couple of decent performances); and we have extra options up top with Broja, who certainly looks a prospect and Tella (he wasn't even being considered for the first team a year ago).

I think where the pessimist's problems lay (which I fully understand) and why I predicted slightly lower to you (12th-15th) is that much of our depth is inexperienced - certainly the 3 starting places listed above. There is also some frustration that our weakest positions GK and CB weren't strengthened by signing someone significantly better, with experience, than we have now. It certainly seemed as if we had the money to buy someone, let's say, more inspiring. That said, I'm not going to write off Lyanco until I have seen him play a fair few matches.

Overall though, I agree that our biggest problem in the 2nd half of last season was a thin squad, lots of injuries and very little recovery time between matches. Ralph said we would address that issue this summer, and I think we have. I also think Ralph has learnt and is now willing to make changes, in personnel and team shape, earlier in matches.

43 minutes ago, Danbert said:

I can't see us going down - we'll be about 15th, I reckon

I could see it but I’d rather be in our shoes than those of Norwich, Watford, Palace, Newcastle, Burnley or possibly Wolves.

As I say every season; you don’t need to out run the wolf pack. You just need to out run the fattest person in the group.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...