Lyanco

Saint Matty 76

13 hours ago, Dellman said:

He can see that Bella K, Salisu and CC are a terrific trio and his chances are limited. If he wants to play regularly he needs a move. It's obvious. Good luck to him

Can't see those two sticking around very long. ABK will have caught the eye of much bigger clubs already and isn't Salissu dicking around over a new contract?

14 hours ago, Dellman said:

He can see that Bella K, Salisu and CC are a terrific trio and his chances are limited. If he wants to play regularly he needs a move. It's obvious. Good luck to him

If we play a back 3 under Jones, then he's only 1 injury away from playing every week.  Unless they're planning on selling Lyanco for a fee, and bringing Stephens or Bednarek back.

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, Saint Garrett said:

If we play a back 3 under Jones, then he's only 1 injury away from playing every week.  Unless they're planning on selling Lyanco for a fee, and bringing Stephens or Bednarek back.

Can either return in January? Stephens out of contract in the summer. Bednarek has another year of course.

He strikes me as a similar player to Stephens: bit of a fighter, likes a tackle, a scrap, a shout, a wind-up, but only at his absolute best when playing regularly - something which he doesn’t do enough.

We do 100% need to have more players like that though. I’d feel more motivated having him as my captain than JWP. 😅

But if he wants to go and we have a chance to at least recoup the money paid I’d take it.

Edited by FarehamSaintJames
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

He strikes me as a similar player to Stephens: bit of a fighter, likes a tackle, a scrap, a shout, a wind-up, but only at his absolute best when playing regularly - something which he doesn’t do enough.

We do 100% need to have more players like that though. I’d feel more motivated having him as my captain than JWP. 😅

But if he wants to go and we have a chance to at least recoup the money paid I’d take it.

That's one thing Stephens isn't. Stephens best games have been when he comes back into the side after being out for a few games, there have been so many false dawns like this, he comes in has a couple of good games but then quickly reverts to type with poor decision making, sloppy play and error prone. It's been that way the whole time he's been a first team squad member unfortunately.

I struggle to get past his absolutely pathetic defending for the fourth goal (at 1:56) conceded at Anfield last year. He just ducks, turns his back and does fuck all to win the header

...in addition to the even worse defending at (2:25) for Norwich's second goal. This was totally lost in the criticism of McCarthy, but he is again absolutely woeful.

To be fair, he has done OK this season - not seen him defend like that, but then again we've not see him as much.

I have always been concerned that he `papers over the cracks' of his own game by diving in rather than just matching up physically with an opponent Abut also ensuring he doesn't sell himself completely. He takes the easy route and we applaud him for winning the ball, but every now and then he sells himself completely and we are then fucked. Not seen much of that this season, but then again he hasn't played as much. 

On 19/11/2022 at 08:59, Master Bates said:

Set to stay at the moment.

Lyanco wants to go but the club don't want him to, lets see how it plays out.

Surprised if he wants to go, says he loves the club and it was his dream move to be here. New manager and it’s up to him. Personally I like him and think he can improve and be a real leader.

• Like 6

On 17/11/2022 at 14:08, Chez said:

I struggle to get past his absolutely pathetic defending for the fourth goal (at 1:56) conceded at Anfield last year. He just ducks, turns his back and does fuck all to win the header

...in addition to the even worse defending at (2:25) for Norwich's second goal. This was totally lost in the criticism of McCarthy, but he is again absolutely woeful.

To be fair, he has done OK this season - not seen him defend like that, but then again we've not see him as much.

I have always been concerned that he `papers over the cracks' of his own game by diving in rather than just matching up physically with an opponent Abut also ensuring he doesn't sell himself completely. He takes the easy route and we applaud him for winning the ball, but every now and then he sells himself completely and we are then fucked. Not seen much of that this season, but then again he hasn't played as much. 

Not the best examples I've seen at digging a player out. The first one Redmond runs into him, whilst the second we have a far bigger issue in that we're sticking JWP as our man in the mixer, with all our bigger lads having a mothers meeting past the near post.

Both a comedy of errors, but harsh to stick either of those on Lyanco.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, saintscottofthenortham said:

Not the best examples I've seen at digging a player out. The first one Redmond runs into him, whilst the second we have a far bigger issue in that we're sticking JWP as our man in the mixer, with all our bigger lads having a mothers meeting past the near post.

Both a comedy of errors, but harsh to stick either of those on Lyanco.

I'm happy to admit if I'm wrong. I watched the videos back again several times I disagree with you. I think these are two perfect examples to dig him out.  A proper centre half wins the header at Anfield. Lyanco just goes through the motions of marking someone, makes zero, and I mean zero effort to win the ball and in the end just limply turns his back on the ball. He should be dominating the box, winning that header. Redmond runs past him. 

For the second, JWP being there has no bearing on Lyanco's woeful marking of the goalscorer. He should be attacking the ball, winning the header, at the very least bumping the goalscorer, but he actually runs away. He kills us with that defending.

6 hours ago, STEVEADAMS said:

Surprised if he wants to go, says he loves the club and it was his dream move to be here. New manager and it’s up to him. Personally I like him and think he can improve and be a real leader.

Refined footballer he may not be but he is the sort of gung-ho fighter that will likely appeal to Jones, the sort of player that would literally 'die' for the right manager. Don't be surprised if he becomes a regular under the new regime. The baying mob determined to lynch him should remember that he is no worse than our other more lauded options in the back line judging by our total inability to keep the ball out of our own net.

In any case he won't be going anywhere until the new management set-up has had a good look at all their options.

As I said yesterday if you really are a fan and care about Saints then stop vilifying our players and get behind them. Leave judgement to the coaching staff who might actually know a bit more about football than any of us.

• Like 4

I think he’s been better in his performances so far this season. Last season it almost felt he was trying too hard, likely as a result to prove himself to the manager. I definitely think there is a decent player in him and he can contribute to our team. Similar to David Luiz I think he could switch to DM and flourish. I’d like use to go to a diamond and have Lyanco used as DM, Lavia and JWP CMs and then Aribo as a CAM. Ideally with a new striker to go alongside Che

On 20/11/2022 at 20:16, Charlie Wayman said:

Refined footballer he may not be but he is the sort of gung-ho fighter that will likely appeal to Jones, the sort of player that would literally 'die' for the right manager. Don't be surprised if he becomes a regular under the new regime. The baying mob determined to lynch him should remember that he is no worse than our other more lauded options in the back line judging by our total inability to keep the ball out of our own net.

In any case he won't be going anywhere until the new management set-up has had a good look at all their options.

As I said yesterday if you really are a fan and care about Saints then stop vilifying our players and get behind them. Leave judgement to the coaching staff who might actually know a bit more about football than any of us.

Absolutely 

• 6 months later...

6am ish

Botafogo turn down the chance to sign Lyanco due to lack of money. Saints awaiting bids from Corinthians and Flamengo before accepting Vasco da Gama's bid.

4pmish

Saints reject Vasco da Gama's £1m loan bid for Lyanco with option to buy for £4m if Lyanco plays 60% of games.

4 hours ago, Master Bates said:

6am ish

Botafogo turn down the chance to sign Lyanco due to lack of money. Saints awaiting bids from Corinthians and Flamengo before accepting Vasco da Gama's bid.

4pmish

Saints reject Vasco da Gama's £1m loan bid for Lyanco with option to buy for £4m if Lyanco plays 60% of games.

Keep him. So tired of the banal shit like Bednarak that I’d rather stick with Lyanco as a potential cult hero than end up with more dross.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, Master Bates said:

Good. If any deal includes a clause like that, we will be done. We'd need an actual commitment to buy. Besides, isn't that less than what we paid for him, and he's got time on his contract.

I'd have thought Salisu, ABK, Bednarek would all go (nothing ever certain with clubs looking to lowball us), leaving us DCC, Lyanco and possibly Stephens, and him really due to B'Mouth changes.

17 hours ago, Master Bates said:

You would have to question the sanity of anyone accepting that deal!  Lyanco is a seasoned pro with great stamina and heart - ok his stats may not match the best in the Prem, but at least he’s shown up there. Got to be worth £8-10m in todays market.

• Like 2

On 21/06/2023 at 09:58, Saint Fan CaM said:

You would have to question the sanity of anyone accepting that deal!  Lyanco is a seasoned pro with great stamina and heart - ok his stats may not match the best in the Prem, but at least he’s shown up there. Got to be worth £8-10m in todays market.

Great stamina and heart does not always make a good footballer..... he is at best, bang average.

7 minutes ago, Saint in Paradise said:

Pity that most of the rest of the team last season were not up to his standard or Saints might not be where they are now.

We are where we are precisely because of players like Lyanco, i.e ones that are not good enough for the PL, have huge flaws and who we shouldn't have signed.

He was bought in the Gao era because he was cheap when we needed to sign a starting XI player.

Not bothered what fee we get, just get him gone. Awful player who cons fans by showing some emotion.

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

You would have to question the sanity of anyone accepting that deal!  Lyanco is a seasoned pro

Im sure i read before we signed him he hadn't played two 1st team games in a row, that's how much a seasoned Pro he is, dreadful player and why we're in this mess

Have you actually watched him?

Like many of our recent signings the question isn’t: “How much can we get for them?”

its: “Are they good enough for the championship?”

Edited by Osvaldorama

The only reason I’d consider hanging onto him for a little while longer is because we all remember how crap Jos Hooiveld was in the Prem, but what a beast of a defender he was in the championship. It may be the case for Lyanco.

• Like 2

The other reason to keep him would be to play him at DM where his defensive recklessness wouldn't be so costly and he'd get more use of his technical skill on the ball. No-one can say he's a boring player and, though boring is often preferable in a CB, in a DM/HM boring is bad (see this forum's opinion of JWP and his lack of attacking influence in open play).

Out of our 6 cbs I’d rate Lyanco as probably 6th best.  Yes he’s got character and makes an effort but he’s not very good.
I’d also (perhaps a controversial opinion) suggest any of those 6 are good enough for the championship. Happy to see him stay or go - assuming Salisu is definitely off we need to lose one more.  

Should we get promoted back, we’d need to significantly improve this position for the premier league (none of them good enough except potentially ABK) but for this coming season I’m happy with whichever four of the lot we keep.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, chiknsmack said:

The other reason to keep him would be to play him at DM where his defensive recklessness wouldn't be so costly and he'd get more use of his technical skill on the ball. No-one can say he's a boring player and, though boring is often preferable in a CB, in a DM/HM boring is bad (see this forum's opinion of JWP and his lack of attacking influence in open play).

I would rather we have an experienced DM rather than shoe horn him into a position he isn’t suited too just like Jack Stephens.

• Like 1

I think some of you need to go and look at stats rather than subjective opinion lyanco was rated 15th best player out our squad of 30 according to whoscored.

Some players listed below him and Charly was only just in front.

Perraud

Onuachu

Bazunu

Walcott

S Armstrong

Mara

A Armstrong 

I think the above players get away with it more as they "hide" during games where as lyanco is more visible and emotional. 

I like lyanco, dont think he's starts every week but good to have on the bench, but he is the most competent CB with the ball at his feet and actually like defending.

Edited by Convict Colony
  • Like 5

39 minutes ago, Convict Colony said:

the most competent CB with the ball at his feet and actually like defending.

The first point above is like winning the least scabby woman in Paulsgrove contest and the second is patently untrue unless defending means occasionally getting in the way of a shot and then fist pumping towards the crowd.

• Haha 1

57 minutes ago, Convict Colony said:

I think some of you need to go and look at stats rather than subjective opinion lyanco was rated 15th best player out our squad of 30 according to whoscored.

Some players listed below him and Charly was only just in front.

Perraud

Onuachu

Bazunu

Walcott

S Armstrong

Mara

A Armstrong 

I think the above players get away with it more as they "hide" during games where as lyanco is more visible and emotional. 

I like lyanco, dont think he's starts every week but good to have on the bench, but he is the most competent CB with the ball at his feet and actually like defending.

Usually you have some good insights but this worries me.

He is obviously awful, whatever Whoscored says.

If he isn't good enough to start every week in the Championship and be good, why the fuck did we sign him in the PL?

He is the most clear case of take the loss,(which is minimal) and get rid.

• Like 2