Lyanco

Saint Matty 76

Just now, Sheaf Saint said:

I think his performance tonight has answered your question. I thought he was excellent against the European champions and current PL leaders. A big improvement on his showing against Sheff Utd, which wasn't anywhere near as bad as some people made out.

Yes he was excellent happy to be proved wrong if he can keep that up, he was dreadful on his first showing though 

A lot more promise than I gave him credit for. Fair play. Salisu and him were very good tonight. One good game does not a good player make and I thought Long also looked good tonight for the record and Valery but he might have some potential. And we have one of the best managers for finding potential and improving players in the league imo so fingers crossed he proves me very wrong in the future.

• Like 2

I always like a player who has ability and gets stuck in while looking like he could snap at any moment and thump someone off the ball.

We've been weak at CB for quite a while now so it's promising to see we may have more depth there than many thought.

He was outstanding tonight, Lyanco.   In a game played at a fast tempo all night, he was strong, composed, read the play well and was good in the air.    How fitting if that top shelf header from a Smallbone corner had gone in -  we'd have had an instant cult hero.  On that performance, Ralph has to consider Salisu/Lyanco as his first choice pairing.

10 hours ago, Mr X said:

Yes he was excellent happy to be proved wrong if he can keep that up, he was dreadful on his first showing though 

Exactly my thoughts, he looked really good last night. I was dreading it when I saw the line up having seen him bullied by McBurnie at Sheff Utd but he was like a different player at Chelsea, a true Gorilla 

8 minutes ago, JRM said:

Exactly my thoughts, he looked really good last night. I was dreading it when I saw the line up having seen him bullied by McBurnie at Sheff Utd but he was like a different player at Chelsea, a true Gorilla 

Yes he looked so rusty at Sheffield United way off the pace but last night he was our best defender, very frustrating & disapointing result didn't deserve to lose for once 

Is he going to be another to prove the forum experts wrong? Written off after his first game by many, but put in a strong showing last night. I really enjoyed his performance along side Salisu.

Also, Salisu - absolutely superb, what a player!

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Saint86 said:

Is he going to be another to prove the forum experts wrong? Written off after his first game by many, but put in a strong showing last night. I really enjoyed his performance along side Salisu.

Also, Salisu - absolutely superb, what a player!

Written off BEFORE he'd played a game....

Absolutely superb last night I thought, I don’t remember enjoying a Saints CB performance like last night for a long time, all 3 were great. Lyanco was rapid across the ground a couple of times, strong in the air, got really stuck into Havertz all game but not sure he gave away a single foul? Some great footwork to get out of danger, and he really got the fans going too. If that header had gone in (absolutely brilliant header by the way), he’d have reached cult status instantly. Best player on the pitch last night imo.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Mr X said:

Come on, Mr X, we need more than that! In what way was he dreadful? Were you at the game? Did you manage to catch a stream, when there were apparently none on offer? Are you in the confidence of the coaching staff at Staplewood?

For what it's worth, I watched a (dodgy) stream of last night's match, and I agree he looked promising, and as others above have said, he could become a real fans favourite if he carries on like that. For the Sheffield United game, I only saw brief highlights, but a good friend of mine was there that night. In his day, he was a very good Hampshire League centre half (remember them?), and his view was that Lyanco made an error or two, but showed some good touches, and he thought it was a decent debut. No mention of 'dreadful'.

• Like 3

Lyanco put in a very good performance last night. Had Havertz in his pocket for much of the match. Loved those raking long balls, cross-field and up the wing. Also looked comfortable bringing the ball out of defence. Very promising indeed. A CB pairing of he and Salisu could be very interesting. Both have pace and positional awareness. Unfortunately I can't see Ralph trying it this weekend, having rested Bednarek last night. 

• Sad 1

One caveat is that Havertz looks like he could be knocked over by a strong wind, physically bullying him is not much of a marker, be interesting to see him against someone like Lukaku. 

But one thing I noted is he looks like he enjoys defending, I feel that is part of the reason Hojberg is quite successful as a DM, he was up for the fight and liked doing the dirty bits of the game and relished them, Lyanco looks similar, looks a bit of a nutter to be honest, you could see him doing a John Terry esque diving headblock. I feel someone like that is quite valuable to a team, even if maybe he has a mistake in him or two because he'll get more out of those around him and get the crowd going as well. 

It's the thing I feel is somewhat missing from Bednerak's game, he seems a bit too nice at times.

Also let's be honest Bednerak has a mistake in him or two from time to time, so even if Lyanco is not a massive upgrade defensively, if he offers more passing range, more threat from set pieces and bit more passion/leadership than Bednerak then that is an upgrade. Plus Salisu seems a rather calm defender, and you get the impression from many great centre-back pairings that a nutter with a calm dude seems to work quite well, a la Ferdinand and Vidic, Terry and Carvalho, etc. One guy glides around the pitch calmly intercepting stuff, the other guy is throwing his face at everything. 

• Like 6

19 minutes ago, tajjuk said:

One caveat is that Havertz looks like he could be knocked over by a strong wind, physically bullying him is not much of a marker, be interesting to see him against someone like Lukaku. 

But one thing I noted is he looks like he enjoys defending, I feel that is part of the reason Hojberg is quite successful as a DM, he was up for the fight and liked doing the dirty bits of the game and relished them, Lyanco looks similar, looks a bit of a nutter to be honest, you could see him doing a John Terry esque diving headblock. I feel someone like that is quite valuable to a team, even if maybe he has a mistake in him or two because he'll get more out of those around him and get the crowd going as well. 

It's the thing I feel is somewhat missing from Bednerak's game, he seems a bit too nice at times.

Also let's be honest Bednerak has a mistake in him or two from time to time, so even if Lyanco is not a massive upgrade defensively, if he offers more passing range, more threat from set pieces and bit more passion/leadership than Bednerak then that is an upgrade. Plus Salisu seems a rather calm defender, and you get the impression from many great centre-back pairings that a nutter with a calm dude seems to work quite well, a la Ferdinand and Vidic, Terry and Carvalho, etc. One guy glides around the pitch calmly intercepting stuff, the other guy is throwing his face at everything. 

Agree on all of the above. I always thought the reason Lovren looked okay for us was that he had a calm, composed Fonte alongside him. Last night gives me great hope for a Salisu/Lyanco combo, and you’ve described them perfectly.

1 hour ago, Minsk said:

Lyanco put in a very good performance last night. Had Havertz in his pocket for much of the match. Loved those raking long balls, cross-field and up the wing. Also looked comfortable bringing the ball out of defence. Very promising indeed. A CB pairing of he and Salisu could be very interesting. Both have pace and positional awareness. Unfortunately I can't see Ralph trying it this weekend, having rested Bednarek last night. 

Just a shame the last min header didn't fly into the top corner, I reckon he'd have taken out most of the lower tier diving into the away end to celebrate. 

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, tajjuk said:

Is that the same Havertz that out muscled our defence for Chelsea's opener last night?

10 hours ago, Highfield Saint said:

Thanks for posting the clips. If he can play at that level he is going to be a regular starter. 

He can hit an accurate crossfield pass to switch play. We've missed this since Vesty left and it's an important element of our game

Actually Salisu can also hit some great long passes too. To have both Lyanco and him both doing it is a mouth watering prospect.

22 hours ago, tajjuk said:

We've been crying out for a 'nutter' at the back for years !

Bring it on....

• 2 weeks later...
On 06/11/2021 at 08:03, hypochondriac said:

Its early days but I have to say that initial impressions about him prior to playing for us may have been incorrect and I couldn't be happier about that! Seems like a really decent bloke and a half decent footballer. 

Things are looking good, obviously still early days and it would be very interesting to get the story of his time in Italy.

At least there were some positive views unlike the ~£18m wasted on the Carrillo where I didn’t see one!

There's something about Lyanco that reminds me of Maya. It could be that they both joined at 24, with good reviews from one international tournament behind them. It could be that Lyanco seems to put his whole heart into everything, just as Maya did. They are the same height; neither blessed with great pace but neither sloths either; both happy with the ball at their feet (I think Lyanco more so than Maya was); Lyanco looks to be a bit of a threat from corners (Maya certainly scored a few goals from set pieces); Maya had the odd mistake in him, which Lyanco also seems to share (but let's face it all players make mistakes, especially CBs). I know Maya wasn't loved by all on here but I will always have fond memories of him. Here's hoping Lyanco has as good a career with us as Maya had.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, TWar said:

https://www.hampshirelive.news/sport/football/worrall-southampton-nottingham-forest-transfer-6175950

Sounds like we told Worrall we were going to sign him and then the next day signed Lyanco and he is fuming about that fact.

Can't be us as the team concerned is "doing very well". I'm guessing Palace or West Ham in reality, but who knows!!

2 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

The article does not name the club. It may not have been Saints.

Maybe, it does fit the timeframe though. We were interested in Worrall and it was being mentioned by all sorts of reliable sources then all of a sudden out the blue we hear that we have had a bid accepted for Lyanco. Would be a coincidence.

2 minutes ago, MarkSFC said:

Can't be us as the team concerned is "doing very well". I'm guessing Palace or West Ham in reality, but who knows!!

Probably just being polite. I doubt West Ham wanted him tbh, and we are only a single point behind palace.