Lyanco

Saint Matty 76

Think it will take a little while for him to find his feet and that will depend on who he partners and how many games he gets. I think Ralph has some interesting selection dilemmas now across the squad which is of course a good thing providing he doesn’t become tinkerman v2. Looking forward to seeing the Gorilla play for us.

10 hours ago, Dellman said:

Why all the fuss, disappointment and hostility? The Club's clear policy is to purchase young players of high potential which is more exciting for the fans and a better business model for the Club. Expensive stars have brought us near to ruin and produced next to nothing. Happy to back Lyanco and all the young hopefuls--a good season coming! 

I think for me, it's disappointing only in the context we have limited money to spend. If Torino were in the EPL, they would probably have got relegated, so the fact he's not considered to be one of their better players is a bit worrying. 

Our defence was so weak last season, and arguably our starting xi is worse this season than last, albeit we have more squad depth now. I get we probably don't have the cash to bring in a centre back that is miles better than what we have got. But bringing in a similar level one I think is the wrong move. We could have used this money to sign a keeper. 7m can definitely get you a keeper that is better than what we have got, and that will save us/gain us points over the season. Possibly would have saved us a couple already.

If we sign a first choice keeper by end of window, then this is a decent signing. But if we are going in with those two muppets till January, then I think this is a very high risk for a player that comes with a mediocre reputation. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, CanadaSaint said:

Worth noting that VVD’s arrival from Celtic certainly wasn’t met with universal approval on here. Pity that there’s no search function. I’m not suggesting that Lyanco is another VVD - just thankful that this forum has nothing to do with Saints’ scouting.

Pony. Complete pony. 

1 hour ago, hypochondriac said:

Whose the first person to start the monkey chants for our gorilla Lyanco? It's the inclusive thing to do. 

If he called himself Dog, we’d all be able to bark every time he got the ball, or moo if he wanted to call himself The Cow. 

Id imagine that’ll be the last time he refers to himself as the Gorilla, the club have probably sent him on a diversity course already 

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

If he called himself Dog, we’d all be able to bark every time he got the ball, or moo if he wanted to call himself The Cow. 

Id imagine that’ll be the last time he refers to himself as the Gorilla, the club have probably sent him on a diversity course already 

This is quite the position to take.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Couple of things I've noticed about Lyanco.  First off he has a tattoo of the year of his birth on his neck.  That's proper forward thinking and impressive as it's not the kind of thing you want to forget.  Fair play fella.

Secondly he celebrates any kind of defensive block/tackle/clearance with a double clenched fist celebration.  Chiellini also does this and it's the mark of a true defensive warrior.  

Gotta love these interviews though.  Clearly he ain't got much of a clue about us apart from the obvious (and there's no reason he should either) but the interviewer always seem to want to ask questions that will make it appear the lad has been following us since he was a young boy growing up in Brazil.  Anyway, let's hope he turns out to be a decent signing - looks a bit of a nutter so he might make it as a cult hero.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

On 20/08/2021 at 14:32, Saint Matty 76 said:

Isn't a whole load of information about the guy online, other than a random clip from two years ago of him getting sent off for wrestling a player to the floor.

Looking forward to seeing him throw some this league's whingers and divers around, welcome il gorilla! 

2 hours ago, revolution saint said:

Couple of things I've noticed about Lyanco.  First off he has a tattoo of the year of his birth on his neck.  That's proper forward thinking and impressive as it's not the kind of thing you want to forget.  Fair play fella.

Secondly he celebrates any kind of defensive block/tackle/clearance with a double clenched fist celebration.  Chiellini also does this and it's the mark of a true defensive warrior.  

Gotta love these interviews though.  Clearly he ain't got much of a clue about us apart from the obvious (and there's no reason he should either) but the interviewer always seem to want to ask questions that will make it appear the lad has been following us since he was a young boy growing up in Brazil.  Anyway, let's hope he turns out to be a decent signing - looks a bit of a nutter so he might make it as a cult hero.

He had posters of Guly on his bedroom walls.

• Haha 3

38 minutes ago, HarvSFC said:

He had posters of Guly on his bedroom walls.

He's part Serbian so maybe Dusan Tadic too!

That beard is a bit odd too, a bit like the monstrosity Lewis Grabban has, but I'm not going to be the one to tell him! I'll stick to keyboard warrior for this one. 😋

Welcome aboard Lyanco. We hope our recruitment continues to be a success this summer. (We'll consider Walcott as an existing Saint from last season...)

1 hour ago, S-Clarke said:

To calm everyone down, I signed him on FM for £9m. After 1 year he is worth £35m and he helped us finish 3rd.

That may just be my management though.

Did you just coincidentally sign him before or have you played through the fastest season in FM history!?

1 hour ago, S-Clarke said:

To calm everyone down, I signed him on FM for £9m. After 1 year he is worth £35m and he helped us finish 3rd.

That may just be my management though.

that's nothing I signed him as a 19 year old on FM for £300k. After i'd taken Torquay to our fifth consecutive Premier League, Champions League and world club cup treble i sold him to Real Madrid for £125m once he got to 30 to bring in someone younger, hungrier and guarenteed to improve. We then beat Madrid 7-0 on aggregate in the quarter finals of that seasons champions league, he got sent off, scored an own goal and gave away a penalty on his emotional return match to the expanded 60,000 capacity Plainmoor

Edited by Turkish

1 minute ago, Turkish said:

that's nothing I signed him as a 19 year old on FM for £300k. After i'd taken Torquay to our fifth consecutive Premier League, Champions League and world club cup treble i sold him to Real Madrid for £125m once he got to 30 to bring in someone younger, hungrier and guarenteed to improve. We then beat Madrid 7-0 on aggregate in the quarter finals of that seasons champions league, he got sent off, scored and own goal and gave away a penalty. 

On FM09 I tried to relegate Portsmouth from the Premier League to non-League by selling all their best players and adding a new manager whenever they sacked me. I got bored of it in the end.

Turns out they nearly managed it in real life anyway, so well done them. 😁

• Haha 3

So, I've been head down at work last couple of days, resurface to find we beat Newport 8-0 and signed a new CB (i.e got one of the positions we need right!) This after a great result and good performance against Man Utd.

Think Lyanco looks like a hard bastard CB with some aerial ability and skill - just what we need. Give him a chance ffs!

My biggest concern isn't ability as much as language - you want a CB that is loud and can control the back line - and communicate with the goalkeeper. But I guess neither FF or AM talk so doesn't make a difference.

Me, for once I have some optimism for a result against Newcastle even if we normally don't travel well there.

Edited by Vancouver Saint

Judging by Ralph's comments in the press conference today I get the impression that he hasn't seen a huge amount of Lyanco. Not saying that is a problem at all, just an observation.

He essentially said he didn't want to comment too much on his qualities as he has only done one session with half the squad so hasn't really seen yet what he can do.

9 minutes ago, Dusic said:

Judging by Ralph's comments in the press conference today I get the impression that he hasn't seen a huge amount of Lyanco. Not saying that is a problem at all, just an observation.

He essentially said he didn't want to comment too much on his qualities as he has only done one session with half the squad so hasn't really seen yet what he can do.

He will have the club are balls deep in him and won’t have signed anyone without his say so

7 hours ago, Vancouver Saint said:

Think Lyanco looks like a hard bastard CB with some aerial ability and skill - just what we need. Give him a chance ffs!

Looks like everybody is. Don't see much negativity on here, especially after the Total Saints Podcast learnings and his positive interview. I'm looking forward to seeing him play.

My biggest concern isn't ability as much as language

True, although he seems confident he'll learn quickly and can already say some things in English. I'd be surprised if he doesn't have a fairly decent command of the language already.

Italians take defending very seriously. He will have been coached well. Clearly has talent so I am looking forward to seeing him play. Put him Stephens and Romeu in the team and they'll be a few opposition players hiding.

Of course he could be a Hoedt, but for the moment he'll do for me.

I wonder if Ralph will now play with 3 at the back as he has the players.

1 hour ago, Ex Lion Tamer said:

Incidentally, is it a real rule that you're not allowed to say "mine" or was that just in 90s Southampton tyro league?

It’s classed as ‘ungentlemanly conduct’ if it’s thought that it might cause an opponent to leave the ball. It’s better to use a name instead such as “Whitey Grandad’s” or even “Ex Lion Tamer’s”

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ex Lion Tamer said:

Do you really need that much language skills to communicate in a defence? "Up", "back", "yours", "mine" and a few more should do it i'd have thought?

Incidentally, is it a real rule that you're not allowed to say "mine" or was that just in 90s Southampton tyro league?

May I ask is your user name because

1/ you used to work in the circus

2/ you were part of a saints firm that battered Millwall

3/ something else