Lyanco

Saint Matty 76

13 minutes ago, LuckyNumber7 said:

Think he's been alright overall but had a shocker today. We need better though for sure. I still think he's our second best CB which says it all.

He is easily the worst senior CB we have. And the one we signed most recently, which is stupid.

Edited by Dusic
  • Confused 1

He has a bit of an erratic style, but with some proper coaching (I.e. not by a goalkeeper) could be decent? He looks like he at least can play football a bit and would say he’s better than Stephens at least 

(edit: I only saw a bit of the match today)…!

Edited by disconnect

1 minute ago, Dusic said:

He is easily the worst senior CB we have. And the one we signed most recently, which is stupid.

Nah I disagree. Stephens and Bednarek make just as many if not more mistakes. Agree we should have signed a proper starting CB in the summer though. We basically have Salisu and three backup CBs.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Dusic said:

Slightly over the top. I assume you've not had to watch Stephens for the last 5 years? He's enough to send you to an asylum.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

His error today was diabolically bad, but apart from that I thought he had been playing decently since he's come back in recently. With proper coaching I think there's potentially a decent player there.

Of course the problem with that is "with proper coaching".

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Convict Colony said:

this is obviously not true, he has been one of our better centre backs

Sorry but he is obviously not as good as Salisu or Bednarek (even despite his drop off this season) and we all know Stephens isnt good enough but I don't see Lyanco is any better than him at all.

It was a stupid signing, buying a backup player who can't speak English when we needed someone to put pressure on Salisu.

By all accounts we picked him ahead of Worrall and I know who I would rather have now...not Lyanco.

• Like 1

Much of a muchness between Lyanco, Stephens and Bednarek. All three are very very average for PL standards (Bednarek the better imo). In fact, Salisu the last few months hasnt been much better but obviously has a higher ceiling that the other three.

Ideally we would sell all three in the summer but thats not going to happen. Would look move Bednarek and Stephens on and think we could get decent value for both. Bednarek been linked with a few Serie A sides and his international experience is a big selling point. I could see Stephens getting picked up by a top Championship side or even one of the promoted sides.

Still dont understand why we opted for Lyanco over Worrall, although likely due to finances. If Forest dont go up I would go back in for him.

• Like 1

I am not a big fan. Watch Lyanco closely at 1:56 in this video of us being tonked an Anfield, Yes the game was lost, but the way he just makes zero effort to win the header, turns his back and pretty much ducks under it, just sums him up. He is more than happy to take a man out from behind or dive in to intercept a ball no matter what the cost to the side if he gets it wrong, but ask him to do an honest job of standing tall and winning a header in the area and he hides. 

...and here at 8:14. Sure, McCarthy has a mare, but just look a the state of the defending by Lynco here. He just backs away from the action as his man then wins a free header to score the winner.  Fucking woeful. 

• Like 3

Different players but. Best talent / most potential / ones I give a fuck about / want to be here….

1. Salisu
2. Lyanco
3. Stephens
4. Bednarek

We need a new number 1 centre back, a Jonny Evans type. Solid as fuck, to tech this lot that you need to defend as well as concede. 

• Like 2

If we sell Bednarek , then we need a first team replacement.If Salisu also goes, then we need two. Stephens and Lyanco are back ups. If a decent offer came in for Lyanco, I'd not be too upset, and we could upgrade there. One bought because that's all we could afford. He can improve, but he shouldn't be first choice.

Edited by Holmes_and_Watson

2 minutes ago, Christophenburg said:

I do think it's too soon to judge Lyanco fairly - he shows moments of promise and moments of frustration. It also can't help being in a CB group that includes Bednarek and Stephens....

I've seen enough of him to see that he's a bit of a brainfart defender, that is always going to be with him I think.

He's certainly got talent and I love his commitment, but he is prone to trying stupid things in the wrong places or making a hash of simple clearances because he's over emotional.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, S-Clarke said:

I've seen enough of him to see that he's a bit of a brainfart defender, that is always going to be with him I think.

He's certainly got talent and I love his commitment, but he is prone to trying stupid things in the wrong places or making a hash of simple clearances because he's over emotional.

Agree. Love his passion and commitment - a few of his team mates could learn from him on that score. However, he does seem to do everything in a headlong rush and that is a sure way to make mistakes. The best defenders are the ones who are cool and calm even in a frenzied situation. Ok, he's never going to be a VVD but if someone could coach him to be a little less gung-ho he'd certainly improve. Unfortunately, we don't have the coaches who are capable of helping Lyanco or any of our other players. Mass clear out needed starting with Ralph.

5 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

3 hours ago, Teddeer said:

Agree. Love his passion and commitment - a few of his team mates could learn from him on that score. However, he does seem to do everything in a headlong rush and that is a sure way to make mistakes. The best defenders are the ones who are cool and calm even in a frenzied situation. Ok, he's never going to be a VVD but if someone could coach him to be a little less gung-ho he'd certainly improve. Unfortunately, we don't have the coaches who are capable of helping Lyanco or any of our other players. 

Lyanco is the clear cut winner of this years 'David Prutton Award'

• Haha 4

He really is shit, iirc I saw a stat saying he's never played 3 games in a row at senior level before coming to us, he was by all accounts dreadful at Torino but hey Crocker saw him in a u20 tournament and thought he was standout player . I guess we had sod all money although we In theory had more from the sale of players but like old days tried to be clever instead of going for Caleta car/ Dael Fry/ Joe Worrall or the Fulham cb. Think its telling that there's several quality young cbs in Germany that Ralphs not looked into, maybe his name over there doesn't count for shit 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, danjosaint said:

He really is shit, iirc I saw a stat saying he's never played 3 games in a row at senior level before coming to us, he was by all accounts dreadful at Torino but hey Crocker saw him in a u20 tournament and thought he was standout player . I guess we had sod all money although we In theory had more from the sale of players but like old days tried to be clever instead of going for Caleta car/ Dael Fry/ Joe Worrall or the Fulham cb. Think its telling that there's several quality young cbs in Germany that Ralphs not looked into, maybe his name over there doesn't count for shit 

Interesting but for the season he was at bologna tho he was rated their 2nd best player over 13 games.

I say judge the player over sometime, i think lyanco is probably our best passing CB, him and stephens seem to give the most shit and its his 1st season in the EPL so I have hopes he will become a better player because currently he isnt our worst CB in his first season.

Screenshot 2022-05-24 at 20.58.52.png

Edited by Convict Colony

He’s exactly what I expected a defender we paid around £7m for (and who wasn’t a regular at his previous club) to be. Seems committed and there’s ability there, but he’s erratic and lacks concentration. Never feel comfortable when he’s on the ball and makes way too many significant errors.

Still yet to see Bednarek put in a performance anywhere near close to the one Lyanco put in away to Chelsea in the cup this season, so not sure i’m ready to decide he’s our worst defender and completely shit. 

• Like 2

• 5 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, Convict Colony said:

This is all getting a bit bizarre.

SR havent as far as we know bought Goztepe and why would Lyanco be willing to drop down to the turkish 2nd division ?

Sport Republic’s takeover of Göztepe was signed off on June 15 according to the Turkish media. Just hasn’t been announced it seems.

Either way, this link seems very bizarre. Can see Lis going there but not sure Lyanco would be happy to.

• Like 1

Hard to find a more unreliable football media than the Italians but the Turks run them close so would take with a massive pinch of salt.

That said, its clear Lyanco isn't PL quality so perhaps this would make sense as I don't see him getting many starts for us, certainly not in the league.

Relatively cheap fee but a poor signing.

Edited by Dusic
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

37 minutes ago, Convict Colony said:

SR havent as far as we know bought Goztepe and why would Lyanco be willing to drop down to the turkish 2nd division ?

This was exactly my initial view.

32 minutes ago, Dusic said:

Hard to find a more unreliable football media than the Italians but the Turks run them close so would take with a massive pinch of salt.

Also this!

25 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

So Lyanco maybe out, Bednarek linked away.  Stephens out of Ralph's circle of trust and valery pretty terribele.

Lets hope the new 20 year old is good enough to be good from the off!

If the Lyanco story was true (coupled with your Bednarek/Stephens point) we wouldn’t be able to play 3 at the back unless we signed at least another centre-back.  Pretty sure Dynel will get loaned out.

Very odd. Ordinarily a Turkish second division side surely wouldn’t be able to get close to Lyanco’s wages, and if not we’d be supplementing that. And for what? Long term goal that he comes back to Saints a better player?

At the moment the benefit of Sport Republic seems to be to the sides beneath us, in that Saints buy players and loan them out, potentially subsidising their wages. If this link is true, plus the others, it would be interesting to know just how much of the wages are covered by the club loaning in the player(s).

• Like 1

Honestly wouldn’t be bothered if Lyanco left whether it be permanent or loan, although if it was a loan I think that’s a little pointless and a bit stupid financially.

Would rather sell him and Bednarek and buy a better CB. Leaving us Salisu, Bella-Kotchap, Stephens and a newbie. Simeu maybe on loan to a EFL side.

Never known a player divide the fans with such polarity before. It seems that half of us think he's utter trash and half think he's absolutely brilliant. There seems to be no middle ground! Out of interest, does anyone on here think he's just "alright"?

Personally, I'm in the "he's brilliant" camp. Far superior to Bedgnerak and Stephens. I also love his little querks!

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

Never known a player divide the fans with such polarity before. It seems that half of us think he's utter trash and half think he's absolutely brilliant. There seems to be no middle ground! Out of interest, does anyone on here think he's just "alright"?

Personally, I'm in the "he's brilliant" camp. Far superior to Bedgnerak and Stephens. I also love his little querks!

Genuine question...aside from Instagram what does he so that makes you think he is brilliant?

I am baffled that anyone could see brilliance in him based on what we have seen so far.

I guess if you like a player who plays like he's committed, emotionally engaged etc then he will get some fans who think he's brilliant.

But at the same token, by being so emotionally charged in games he is rash as hell. I'm not a fan because he will give up goals due to his stupid decisions.

Can't deny his passion and all of that stuff, but you need more. It would be a strange loan though, but this is the second link I've seen for Lyanco in the space of a couple of days - so makes you wonder if he's been told to look for a new club and his agent is at work.

Edited by S-Clarke

10 minutes ago, Dusic said:

Genuine question...aside from Instagram what does he so that makes you think he is brilliant?

I am baffled that anyone could see brilliance in him based on what we have seen so far.

Gives 100%, brave, hard as nails, threat from attacking corners. What we've lacked for a couple of years IMO.

• Like 2

Lyanco has actually had a few very good games. He has also made a couple of big errors leading to goals. Personally I think he is ok for 3rd/4th choice but shouldn't be a regular. Similar to Stephens.

I still think we should sell Bednarek and one of Stephens/Lyanco and get in a more experienced player who can come straight into the starting 11 next to Salisu.

• Like 1