Thierry Small

SuperSAINT

6 hours ago, miserableoldgit said:

Yes I must admit that after a whole two games, I think that he is a bit "meh" as well. I think we need to get rid...

I don’t think we need to get rid and I didn’t say anything of the sort I just said he seems a bit m’eh.  I’m not convinced yet and you can hardly argue he’s been outstanding so there is an opportunity for this lad to displace him.

Just now, a1ex2001 said:

I don’t think we need to get rid and I didn’t say anything of the sort I just said he seems a bit m’eh.  I’m not convinced yet and you can hardly argue he’s been outstanding so there is an opportunity for this lad to displace him.

I was making the point that I don't believe that you can honestly make a real valued judgement on a new player that has moved from a Foreign league after just two games of a new season.....particularly a start that has Everton away and then Man U. Maybe I am wrong....

• Like 2

7 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

What, a mid table finish? I'd take that, and I'd also expect the club to continue to back Ralph if that's where we ended up.

Then we can continue to evolve next summer with a new GK etc.

If the season is two extremes, i.e we start this season as we finished last (i.e lose every week) then I can't see him sticking it out. But a more balanced season, less extremes and a mid-table finish is the most I expect and is acceptable with the shortcomings we have.

How is 15th out of 20 teams mid table exactly? 5 below and 14 above, and three places off relegation  🤔 if you divide the table into quarters we only just finished in the second lowest quarter.

3 hours ago, DT said:

A decent goalie and it’s a really brilliant window

Yes that would be good but it has been a brilliant window anyway. Once we got rid of the dead wood from the era of errors we could start building with the money from sales and the wages freed up. We have a leadership working to a clear strategy and they are building us a proper future. The signs are very good. Better window than I dared hope.  

17 hours ago, SNSUN said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/54438727

Everton fans seem annoyed and angry he’s leaving which is always a good sign. He seems like a unit even at 17. Imagine fielding a defence of Tino, Simeu, Salisu and Small; Salisu at 22 years and 4 months would be the experienced one!

Blimey, he looks insanely good on the ball.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Snopper said:

We could do with Semmens being on a long contract.

Don't disagree there. With him and Ralph at the helm we do at least seem to have some mutual trust and an actual strategy for what we're doing. We could be on the cusp of a good few years if things go well and we can maintain some stability. Of course that can all go out the window with anything from bad form to a club ownership / takeover issues.

• Like 1

Watched Everton U23s a fair bit last season and this lad is very talented and clearly has a lot of potential. Certainly a big upgrade on Vokins anyway. This could turn out to be a fantastic signing.

Reading the Everton forum, they're miffed that their brightest prospect in recent years has turned down a pro contract. His first team chances would have been severely limited there. Digne is their clear 1st choice LB (and one of their best players full stop) and when he was injured last season, Ancellotti preferred to play a senior CB there rather than rely on their other young LB.

Given how Perraud hasn't been able to complete 90 mins yet, I wonder if he will go straight in against Newport tomorrow? 

11 hours ago, Mr X said:

Ripped up his contract & refused to return to pre season with Everton. Not sure he fits our mould.... Another loose cannon ala lemina or hoedt hopefully Ralph can install some discipline.

Screenshot_20210824-082848.png

Ridiculously bitter article. He didn't rip up anything as there was nothing to rip up, he didn't sign a new contract. 

He didn't refuse to return to pre-season, he was no longer employed by Everton and so shouldn't have been there anyway.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, spyinthesky said:

Presume Voakes and Ferry are likely to be offloaded?

Both out on loan at the moment.

10 minutes ago, Sheaf Saint said:

Watched Everton U23s a fair bit last season and this lad is very talented and clearly has a lot of potential. Certainly a big upgrade on Vokins anyway. This could turn out to be a fantastic signing.

Reading the Everton forum, they're miffed that their brightest prospect in recent years has turned down a pro contract. His first team chances would have been severely limited there. Digne is their clear 1st choice LB (and one of their best players full stop) and when he was injured last season, Ancellotti preferred to play a senior CB there rather than rely on their other young LB.

Given how Perraud hasn't been able to complete 90 mins yet, I wonder if he will go straight in against Newport tomorrow? 

It's probably coincidental, but it's quite a good idea to target players at teams like Chelsea & Everton.  Both have good academy recruitment, and both spend f*ckloads on their 1st team.  So there's always a chance the pathway is blocked for academy lads.

• Like 1

Can't really have asked for a more positive set of young signings. Arguably, it sort of fills in the gaps that were supposed to be filled by our own Academy (assuming everything had gone really well there).

Hopefully it will be a case of all of them stepping naturally up into first team football, from clubs where their pathway was blocked, rather than being thrown into the deep end. And that they'll be the core of a Premier team, rather than something with echoes of the Lowe era. Focus on the half full glass...focus on the half full glass...they are insane signings...insane...

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Saint86 said:

Watched his introductory video.

Seems like a cracking lad to be honest, extremely pleased and enthusiastic about joining saints, ambitious, bit of a cheeky chappy. The kind of youngster any workplace would be wanting to hire and give a chance... the fact that hes rated as one of the best young full backs in the country is an added bonus 😆

Looks like with Semmens and Ralph, the clearing of the dead wood, and a couple of windows of decent transfer activity - we can almost see the "Southampton Way" rematerializing. Just a shame we had Reed (****) and wreck it Ralph in power for so long as they almost totally derailed the club for a few years.

Crazy to think the amount of time and cost associated with shifting the Reed era deadwood just to get to a point where the finances allow us to start signing youth players like Tino and Thierry for circa £8m all in. People don't like Ralph, but if we'd continued down the lines of Puel, MoPe, Hughes etc the club would be in a very dark place now. Almost certainly relegated, not developing youth players, more stars leaving, and saddled with the huge wages and debts of overpaid journeymen.

Weve still got Long...................

• Sad 1

14 hours ago, Saint86 said:

People don't like Ralph, but if we'd continued down the lines of Puel, MoPe, Hughes etc the club would be in a very dark place now. Almost certainly relegated, not developing youth players, more stars leaving, and saddled with the huge wages and debts of overpaid journeymen.

Sigh. Please stop lumping in a decent manager, who made a silk purse out of pigs' ears, with a dinosaur and a clown.

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

9 hours ago, Sheaf Saint said:

I was also reading a few Everton fans comments. Im not sure if its just sour grapes but a lot of them reckon he has a terrible attitude, especially given his age, and theyre glad to see the back of him. Worst case scenario, at least we haven't spunked a load of money on a back up left back.  Best case scenario, he settles down and we sell him for a shedload in a few years.

26 minutes ago, Hawkswood said:

I was also reading a few Everton fans comments. Im not sure if its just sour grapes but a lot of them reckon he has a terrible attitude, especially given his age, and theyre glad to see the back of him. Worst case scenario, at least we haven't spunked a load of money on a back up left back.  Best case scenario, he settles down and we sell him for a shedload in a few years.

Well, imagine the situation in reverse. We wouldn't be describing this lad as a "great kid with the right priorities and a great attitude" then, thats for sure.

Not sure how true this "refused to join training" thing is, but it's not great behaviour for any player. Let's hope we don't see that side of him.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, miserableoldgit said:

I was making the point that I don't believe that you can honestly make a real valued judgement on a new player that has moved from a Foreign league after just two games of a new season.....particularly a start that has Everton away and then Man U. Maybe I am wrong....

We’ll see but I’ll be pleasantly surprised if he turns out to be anything other than average (average isn’t a bad thing!) looking at how he has done so far.  I’m not saying he is a bad player or that he won’t have a decent career with us just that we won’t be selling him on for 60 million in a couple of seasons.  This isn’t a bad thing we need a base of decent average premier league players but it does mean there will be an opportunity for this lad joining us.

58 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

Well, imagine the situation in reverse. We wouldn't be describing this lad as a "great kid with the right priorities and a great attitude" then, thats for sure.

Not sure how true this "refused to join training" thing is, but it's not great behaviour for any player. Let's hope we don't see that side of him.

I've messaged my nephew to ask him, as they were team mates in the Everton academy and good mates from what I gather, but AFAIK it's not true at all. It's a sensationalised version of what happened written to generate clicks. He's alluded to this in an Instagram post (which I can't link to because I don't have an account, but my wife showed it to me).

He decided to end his scholarship early, which he was within his rights to do, and he chose not to accept Everton's offer of a pro contract, so he was a free agent. He was under no obligation to report to them for pre-season training. The tribunal is only to determine an appropriate development fee.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Hawkswood said:

I was also reading a few Everton fans comments. Im not sure if its just sour grapes but a lot of them reckon he has a terrible attitude, especially given his age, and theyre glad to see the back of him. 

I think this just stems from the false report of him 'refusing' to turn up for training. His attitude has always been good from what I know of him. None of their fans who follow the youth teams regularly have ever suggested otherwise.

Remember, Saints did the same during the Les Reed years - generated negative press about the attitude of leaving players so us fans wouldn't be so upset they had gone. This is a classic example of that. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CB Fry said:

There were not an insignificant amount of posts on here lambasting janketwitz for his disgraceful attitude when he deliberately got himself sent off in the first minute Of his debut so he could get a transfer all because he wanted first team football somewhere. 

10 minutes ago, Sheaf Saint said:

I think this just stems from the false report of him 'refusing' to turn up for training. His attitude has always been good from what I know of him. None of their fans who follow the youth teams regularly have ever suggested otherwise.

Remember, Saints did the same during the Les Reed years - generated negative press about the attitude of leaving players so us fans wouldn't be so upset they had gone. This is a classic example of that. 

However you choose to dress it up, the lad chose not to turn up for training, and ripped up his scholarship to get his move. Some may think that's the right thing to do, others think it's poor form. 

Jankewitz has been mentioned. He wanted to play football and believed he was good enough. He asked to leave so as he wanted to play. The people on here who slaughtered him for that attitude are probably applauding Small and Livramento for doing the same thing, although not as aggressively as Small did. 

1 minute ago, egg said:

However you choose to dress it up, the lad chose not to turn up for training, and ripped up his scholarship to get his move. Some may think that's the right thing to do, others think it's poor form. 

Jankewitz has been mentioned. He wanted to play football and believed he was good enough. He asked to leave so as he wanted to play. The people on here who slaughtered him for that attitude are probably applauding Small and Livramento for doing the same thing, although not as aggressively as Small did. 

You have missed out one tiny little detail from that one sided view. He was given a chance. He blew it. 

2 minutes ago, egg said:

The difference being that Jankewitz was on a pro contract. Small was not.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, LiberalCommunist said:

Its very hard to say, but I'd rather we pay £3M than have any sort of sell on included. 

I think we'll be pleasantly surprised by the outcome. 

He was a free agent, so any "sell on" will be a cut of any future transfer fee to himself. Everton only get development compensation. 

26 minutes ago, LiberalCommunist said:

You have missed out one tiny little detail from that one sided view. He was given a chance. He blew it. 

Rubbish. He was a young lad, He made a mistake, was late into a tackle and got sent off. He was properly buzzed up with adrenaline and keen to make an impression. 

It was a bad one, granted, however many players make foolish mistakes yet go on to have fantastic careers. Look at beckham in 98 as an example. 

Ralph has his card marked long before the United game, loads were shouting for him to get a chance even before that game. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Sheaf Saint said:

The difference being that Jankewitz was on a pro contract. Small was not.

You're missing the point. Both were players wanting to move to get first team football. One asked for a transfer. The other didn't, and in doing so didn’t show up for training. One gets pelted, one gets applauded. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, LiberalCommunist said:

One chance. One. If he was good enough to get that chance on a massive stage, he was good enough for another. 

Regardless, it doesn't sit right with me that people applaud Small for how he's conducted himself, but criticise Jankewitz for asking for a move so he can play football. 

Edited by egg
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, egg said:

You're missing the point. Both were players wanting to move to get first team football. One asked for a transfer. The other didn't, and in doing so didn’t show up for training. One gets pelted, one gets applauded. 

No, you're missing the point. Jankewitz obviously knew he wasn't in Ralph's plans and wanted out, but he was signed to a pro contract and was under obligations to fulfill that contract. So he did the right thing and put in a transfer request, and waited until the next transfer window. Aside from the morons who suggested he deliberately got himself sent off against Man U, who 'pelted' him for that? I certainly didn't, good on him. 

Thierry Small's situation was different in that he didn't have the same contractual obligations, and was within his rights to terminate his scholarship of his own volition. He didn't 'refuse' to turn up for training with Everton, he chose to make himself a free agent and was therefore not under any obligation to turn up for training with them. Why would he? If you quit your job without having another one lined up immediately, would you still be expected to turn up at your old place after your notice period had ended anyway? Of course not.

You're comparing apples with pears, and making out like Small has acted like VVD did and gone on strike to engineer a move, but he's done nothing of the sort. It's only some sensationalised reporting from the Liverpool Echo that is making some people think that.

• Like 9

On 24/08/2021 at 11:38, S-Clarke said:

Someone elses money. Without ownership investment we'd have got no where, he wasn't pumping in his own cash.

Yes, he had ambition and a crazy drive for perfection, but it was underpinned by Markus and the trust fund he'd left behind after his death.

Ambiton stems from the top. If you've got an owner who hasn't ever uttered a word or shown any interest in developing plans then you're stuck.

Not to turn this into a cortese thread but I think these spending other people’s money comments are a bit harsh..we made a few signings in the 12-18 m range but not a lot differant to what we Have done since in terms of actual spending... he was hardly throwing big boy money around.

and since he had just increased the value of the club tenfold by getting streight promotions kat should of been happy really 

1 hour ago, Sheaf Saint said:

No, you're missing the point. Jankewitz obviously knew he wasn't in Ralph's plans and wanted out, but he was signed to a pro contract and was under obligations to fulfill that contract. So he did the right thing and put in a transfer request, and waited until the next transfer window. Aside from the morons who suggested he deliberately got himself sent off against Man U, who 'pelted' him for that? I certainly didn't, good on him. 

Thierry Small's situation was different in that he didn't have the same contractual obligations, and was within his rights to terminate his scholarship of his own volition. He didn't 'refuse' to turn up for training with Everton, he chose to make himself a free agent and was therefore not under any obligation to turn up for training with them. Why would he? If you quit your job without having another one lined up immediately, would you still be expected to turn up at your old place after your notice period had ended anyway? Of course not.

You're comparing apples with pears, and making out like Small has acted like VVD did and gone on strike to engineer a move, but he's done nothing of the sort. It's only some sensationalised reporting from the Liverpool Echo that is making some people think that.

We see this differently. Firstly, I'm glad you're not one of the idiots that thought Jankewitz got sent off differently, and see nothing wrong with him seeking a move. However, there are people who think differently.

Onto Small. I've not sure if we've read different things, but i had read that he not return for pre season AND LATER cancelled his scholarship. Regardless, if we had a youngster on a scholarship and he walked out before it finished, we'd be pretty pissed off. 

Sure, it's legally acceptable, but it's not playing with the straightest of bats.

21 minutes ago, egg said:

We see this differently. Firstly, I'm glad you're not one of the idiots that thought Jankewitz got sent off differently, and see nothing wrong with him seeking a move. However, there are people who think differently.

Onto Small. I've not sure if we've read different things, but i had read that he not return for pre season AND LATER cancelled his scholarship. Regardless, if we had a youngster on a scholarship and he walked out before it finished, we'd be pretty pissed off. 

Sure, it's legally acceptable, but it's not playing with the straightest of bats.

If you are entitled to cancel your scholarship, then there is no issue surley. The club are covered by a development fee, the same fee they would get if he transferred in a conventional manner.

This whole regime came about to protect and be fair to the kids. The club afterall can drop a kid at anytime.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, egg said:

OK I get you. I've not read the same as you in that regard, but on his own Instagram post he said he wanted to thank all the Everton fans for their support  over the years "and during this tough period despite inaccurate speculation".

Make of that what you will I guess. Hopefully I'll be able to get some more info from my nephew, who knows him well.

7 hours ago, egg said:

One chance. One. If he was good enough to get that chance on a massive stage, he was good enough for another. 

Regardless, it doesn't sit right with me that people applaud Small for how he's conducted himself, but criticise Jankewitz for asking for a move so he can play football. 

He got that chance because his agent had threatened us that he would be leaving if he didn't play (not because he forced his way in with hard work). Then we had the worst injury crisis in modern times. And what does he do......he fucks it up. If he was as good as he thought he was we'd have lost the next Ronaldo. But in reality, the next time you hear his name will be in a pub quiz. And that's a fact check true. I suggest letting him go now........

10 minutes ago, LiberalCommunist said:

But in reality, the next time you hear his name will be in a pub quiz.

Or this season's Champions League, as Young Boys won their play off last night (Jankewitz on the bench - made his first team debut last week).

On 25/08/2021 at 17:49, qwertyell said:

Or this season's Champions League, as Young Boys won their play off last night (Jankewitz on the bench - made his first team debut last week).

He played for the youth team last week and has only played half a game in the cup for the first team. He is making the bench for Champions League ties but not League games, suggesting he's only there because it's a larger bench

• Lighthouse changed the title to Thierry Small