Thierry Small

SuperSAINT

4 minutes ago, pimpin4rizeal said:

Semmens seems to get a lot of love on here. But this is exactly what I don’t like about him,, it seems what you have said above is his MO and he is perfectly happy with us being a noddy club training scheme to sell out players to the big teams..

i much preferred corteses approach 

It's not Semmens fault, this approach is driven by the lack of an Owner. He's doing the best he can in the circumstances.

Cortese just spent someone elses money.

Martin doesn't have someone elses money to spend.

• Like 8

17 minutes ago, pimpin4rizeal said:

Semmens seems to get a lot of love on here. But this is exactly what I don’t like about him,, it seems what you have said above is his MO and he is perfectly happy with us being a noddy club training scheme to sell out players to the big teams..

i much preferred corteses approach 

What do you think Cortese's approach was? 

What strategy would you prefer Saints to use? 

Surely it is better to have wonderkids for a few years and enjoy their time here and then sell and reinvest in the next crop, than plod along with players the big clubs will never want... isn't it?

Edited by Matthew Le God
  • Like 3

25 minutes ago, Turkish said:

I prefer to look at it as signing a bunch of youngsters we can build a great young team around, not worry about how much we can sell them for.

Will be a bit of both in reality - best case scenario.

2 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Spend a load of someone else's money and cry about cutlery and toilets? 

If you say so, corteses time in charge was the only time I’ve felt genuine ambition and ruthlessness. Under his period we hardly put a foot wrong and it took years to dismantle the promotions, bringing in poch the black box we were on a continuous upward curve under cortese and it was exciting times 

Just now, pimpin4rizeal said:

If you say so, corteses time in charge was the only time I’ve felt genuine ambition and ruthlessness. Under his period we hardly put a foot wrong and it took years to dismantle the promotions, bringing in poch the black box we were on a continuous upward curve under cortese and it was exciting times 

But as others said, he was spending a billionnaires money without a need to balance the books outside other regulations.  It was easier to convince players to stay when you had the money to back up the ambition - either by new signings or new contracts.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, pimpin4rizeal said:

Someone elses money. Without ownership investment we'd have got no where, he wasn't pumping in his own cash.

Yes, he had ambition and a crazy drive for perfection, but it was underpinned by Markus and the trust fund he'd left behind after his death.

Ambiton stems from the top. If you've got an owner who hasn't ever uttered a word or shown any interest in developing plans then you're stuck.

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 2

Yeah because he was spending someone else's money. If you brought back Cortese now he would be under the same financial constraints. 

We did better after he left, than with him. Koeman, Mane, van Dijk, Tadic etc all were post Cortese.

Personally I think this is a great approach considering our financial position. Far far rather that than risking everything on a couple of big name signings every year. We've seen that when that goes wrong like with hoedt and carillo for example it messes us up for years. If we go down this season it will be at least in part because of those sort of signings that have hampered our ability to strengthen across multiple windows. 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

What do you think Cortese's approach was? 

What strategy would you prefer Saints to use? 

Surely it is better to have wonderkids for a few years and enjoy there time here and then sell and reinvest in the next crop, than plod along with players the big clubs will never want... isn't it?

Exactly this, we are not a big club and probably never will be. This is how we survive, signing young talent and turning a profit in a few years. Or we could be norwich or west brom.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Yeah but i'd rather not be thinking about how much we can sell them for in the future, more interested in what they can do whilst they are here. Once they're gone they might as well not exist.

Absolutely, I'm not going to be spending every second of their time here thinking about what their value is, just saying I think this is the plan the management have in place. 

11 minutes ago, Lallana's Left Peg said:

But as others said, he was spending a billionnaires money without a need to balance the books outside other regulations.  It was easier to convince players to stay when you had the money to back up the ambition - either by new signings or new contracts.

Didn't we have one of the lowest wage budgets in the league up until after he left? 

Watched his introductory video.

Seems like a cracking lad to be honest, extremely pleased and enthusiastic about joining saints, ambitious, bit of a cheeky chappy. The kind of youngster any workplace would be wanting to hire and give a chance... the fact that hes rated as one of the best young full backs in the country is an added bonus 😆

Looks like with Semmens and Ralph, the clearing of the dead wood, and a couple of windows of decent transfer activity - we can almost see the "Southampton Way" rematerializing. Just a shame we had Reed (****) and wreck it Ralph in power for so long as they almost totally derailed the club for a few years.

Crazy to think the amount of time and cost associated with shifting the Reed era deadwood just to get to a point where the finances allow us to start signing youth players like Tino and Thierry for circa £8m all in. People don't like Ralph, but if we'd continued down the lines of Puel, MoPe, Hughes etc the club would be in a very dark place now. Almost certainly relegated, not developing youth players, more stars leaving, and saddled with the huge wages and debts of overpaid journeymen.

Edited by Saint86
  • Like 9

30 minutes ago, pimpin4rizeal said:

We were at a very low point when he came in. Easier to have continuous upward curve when you’re down the bottom (spending someone else’s money) than trying to maintain it with no sugar daddy (apologies  Markus) backing you.

anyway great that this lad has joined - prefer an up and coming player to one on the way down.

Edited by Toadhall Saint
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, mcbendy said:

Brilliant interview from the young man. He's clearly a bright lad. Hopefully he's going to join the first team squad straight away.

He has been added to first team squad on the OS. Based on Perrauds energy levels dropping off and being subbed in both games I don't think it will be too long before he gets his opportunity.

Is he eligible for tomorrow?

• Like 1

Seems like an exciting signing and from the clips I've seen he seems to justify the hype around him.  Lets hope he lives up to it.

Coincidentally on the same day we sign Thierry Small, Norwich have finally got Brandon Williams on loan.  I think I prefer our deal.

Was thinking that we now have the potential for could be a really exciting bench with either Livramento or KWP, Small, Tella, and Broja.  These are all players you want to see and it should be exciting to watch their progress.  In recent years I've got used to there not being that many options on the bench that would make me think they could come on and make a difference.  I know we've had a few like Obafemi but I never had that feeling that he would actually change much.  When Tella scored his first senior goal at the end of last season and had that huge smile on his face it seemed to mean a bit more.  Early days of course but football is about optimism and these kind of signings at least give us that for now.  

Edited by revolution saint
  • Like 7

2 minutes ago, Ken Tone said:

So he was lodging  with a host family at Everton. Where is his home? If he's from the South,  more chance of him settling and staying maybe? 

They signed him from West Brom when he was 11, so he's from somewhere in the West Midlands (he hasn't lost the accent).

Arguably, the biggest mistake we made last year was going into the season with no depth at FB/WB (especially when one of the two we did have was only partially engaged), and then playing a high-intensity style that had them sucking air not long after half time. This ended up putting a lot of pressure on the CDs, and lead to crazy stuff like Bednarek trying to mark Saint-Maximen, Salisu trying to cover Adama Traore, and Vestergaard trying to cover anyone coming at him with pace. It also led to the whole team being knackered and injury-prone by mid-season.

For me it has been a really good window. We've fixed several depth issues - especially the critical ones at WB, and there's some cash up our sleeves for January. We now have the players for a "Plan B", which I'm not sure we had last year. Ralph withdrawing Theo for Bednarek on Sunday was a very telling moment. Now he has to figure out how to keep Armstrong involved, because we're better with him in the side.

This squad, and individual players, will take time to jell and build confidence - in themselves and in eachother. Hopefully we'll see significant improvements in players who have been hammered on here.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Saint86 said:

Watched his introductory video.

Seems like a cracking lad to be honest, extremely pleased and enthusiastic about joining saints, ambitious, bit of a cheeky chappy. The kind of youngster any workplace would be wanting to hire and give a chance... the fact that hes rated as one of the best young full backs in the country is an added bonus 😆

Looks like with Semmens and Ralph, the clearing of the dead wood, and a couple of windows of decent transfer activity - we can almost see the "Southampton Way" rematerializing. Just a shame we had Reed (****) and wreck it Ralph in power for so long as they almost totally derailed the club for a few years.

Crazy to think the amount of time and cost associated with shifting the Reed era deadwood just to get to a point where the finances allow us to start signing youth players like Tino and Thierry for circa £8m all in. People don't like Ralph, but if we'd continued down the lines of Puel, MoPe, Hughes etc the club would be in a very dark place now. Almost certainly relegated, not developing youth players, more stars leaving, and saddled with the huge wages and debts of overpaid journeymen.

Agreed.  Well said.  Think the recruiting this window looks very bright and clever.   We could do with Semmens being on a long contract.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Saint Scott said:

He has been added to first team squad on the OS. Based on Perrauds energy levels dropping off and being subbed in both games I don't think it will be too long before he gets his opportunity.

Is he eligible for tomorrow?

Should be, but maybe too early

15 minutes ago, Snopper said:

Agreed.  Well said.  Think the recruiting this window looks very bright and clever.   We could do with Semmens being on a long contract.

A decent goalie and it’s a really brilliant window

• Lighthouse changed the title to Thierry Small