Thierry Small

SuperSAINT

30 minutes ago, Mr X said:

Ripped up his contract & refused to return to pre season with Everton. Not sure he fits our mould.... Another loose cannon ala lemina or hoedt hopefully Ralph can install some discipline.

Screenshot_20210824-082848.png

Reckon that article is probably an over-dramatic interpretation of what has happened from the Everton viewpoint.  (Who would have thought it from the Liverpool Echo?)

Basically he was offered a pro contract and decided not to take it up and go elsewhere. Perfectly within his rights to do that if he thinks he will get more opportunities elsewhere.

• Like 4

Are fans beginning to realise that Crocker and Semmens actually have a policy and that Ralph is the man to make it work? It just took them a while to get rid of past failures and open the way but now we are taking shape, and I like the look of it.  

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Dellman said:

Are fans beginning to realise that Crocker and Semmens actually have a policy and that Ralph is the man to make it work? It just took them a while to get rid of past failures and open the way but now we are taking shape, and I like the look of it.  

Agree with you there. Need to support the manager and team now, we’ve done some great business.

8 minutes ago, STEVEADAMS said:

Agree with you there. Need to support the manager and team now, we’ve done some great business.

Agreed i will put my indifference with Ralph aside but he has to deliver this season as it's mostly his team, no excuses a repeat of last. Season and he has to go. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, STEVEADAMS said:

Yes it bodes well for the future and fits in with our stepping stone philosophy but the immediate task is to keep in the PL until these promising youngsters mature. Plus not all them do make it. Been looking for signs that Mitchell the forward we signed from Birmingham is on the verge of breaking through but he has stalled since his signing. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, adriansfc said:

I like the process and we are possibly the best club in the league to give chances to these young players for a few years. But I find it hard to get over the manager, coaches and recruitment staffs huge blind spot when it comes to goalkeepers

Feels like we've somehow managed to be the absolute worst when it comes to signing the right ones, contract extensions, improving them with coaching and now even basic selection. 

Hasenhuttl recently addressed this and confirmed a new keeper will be signed next year.

30 minutes ago, Fitzhugh Fella said:

Yes it bodes well for the future and fits in with our stepping stone philosophy but the immediate task is to keep in the PL until these promising youngsters mature. Plus not all them do make it. Been looking for signs that Mitchell the forward we signed from Birmingham is on the verge of breaking through but he has stalled since his signing. 

Has he? He signed as a 16 year old, signed his first pro contract in the summer and has played several times for the u23s at just 18. I wouldn't describe that as stalling.

33 minutes ago, Fitzhugh Fella said:

Difference is that these players are or have broken through - less risk no?

39 minutes ago, Mr X said:

Agreed i will put my indifference with Ralph aside but he has to deliver this season as it's mostly his team, no excuses a repeat of last. Season and he has to go. 

What, a mid table finish? I'd take that, and I'd also expect the club to continue to back Ralph if that's where we ended up.

Then we can continue to evolve next summer with a new GK etc.

If the season is two extremes, i.e we start this season as we finished last (i.e lose every week) then I can't see him sticking it out. But a more balanced season, less extremes and a mid-table finish is the most I expect and is acceptable with the shortcomings we have.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dellman said:

Nah! Smoke & Mirrors.

1 hour ago, Dellman said:

I think this exact policy is why we should acknowledge that signings like Walcott are just as important as the signings of the likes of Small\Tino. Theo is an exemplary professional, his presence around the club will proved the perfect example to the younger players and a fantastic role model\mentor. 

We are now seen as the club that gives young players a stage to perform, a clear path way to the first team, we are the stepping stone club to bigger things but i am absolutely fine with that. 

Edited by Dan Johnson
  • Like 4

• Lighthouse changed the title to Thierry Small - Official: Signs 3 Year Contract

Really happy with this window so far. Get a CB in and it's about as good as we could expect. 

This summer feels like a reset in terms of our transfer policy - signing a whole bunch of talented youngsters who we can potentially sell in a couple years time for anywhere between £20-40million, at which point we'll be able to reinvest at the level we were spending before (but just spending it more wisely than on the likes of Hoedt, Carillo, Lemina etc!).

Just now, Saint_clark said:

Really happy with this window so far. Get a CB in and it's about as good as we could expect. 

This summer feels like a reset in terms of our transfer policy - signing a whole bunch of talented youngsters who we can potentially sell in a couple years time for anywhere between £20-40million, at which point we'll be able to reinvest at the level we were spending before (but just spending it more wisely than on the likes of Hoedt, Carillo, Lemina etc!).

I prefer to look at it as signing a bunch of youngsters we can build a great young team around, not worry about how much we can sell them for.

• Like 2

Just now, Turkish said:

I prefer to look at it as signing a bunch of youngsters we can build a great young team around, not worry about how much we can sell them for.

Maybe, but we have to be realistic at the same time. All these young players aren't joining us to play together for Southampton for the next 10 years.

• Like 1

Just now, The Curse of St Mary's said:

Apparently so

If he’s as good as people say he is I hope we are ready to offer him a new contract when he turns 18! This has been a pretty good transfer window to be fair to those in charge. We have lost Ings and Vestegaard and I’m still saying that so they must be doing something right. I get the feeling that this is the first year and Ralph and Seemens are less hamstrung by the unsellables and they are starting to show what they can do

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Dr. Kucho said:

I get the impression we are doing what Dortmund have done with Sancho and Bellingham, offering talent the chance of first team football at a young age. By their early 20ties they will have played loads of PL games, be worth millions and have some of the big clubs wanting their signatures. Instead of being loaned several times to championship clubs and having to wait ages for their PL debut.

Ah Jude Bellingham..............future England captain .Now this would be an insane signing and a coup for the club if we were to make inquiries about his future

and tempt him in. Pitty Southgate didn't trust him and the other exciting talent he wasted. Never get an easier chance to win a major tournament than the one just gone.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 2

Great signing. 

I know far to many Everton fans and one is my cousin who is a season ticket holder and all of them are not happy about this. But the lad did not want to sign for them and decided to come to Southampton. Very good signing and a lot of potential to make millions in a couple of years 😉 

1 minute ago, Lallana's Left Peg said:

Any idea what the PA of Small and Livramento will be in the upcoming seasons DB?  Assume they are still set by the Everton and Chelsea researchers respectively regardless?

Yes, it is the Everton and Chelsea researchers who have done them.

They both currently have extremely high PAs in the database for FM22. Their CAs are very low, particularly Small's.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

Maybe, but we have to be realistic at the same time. All these young players aren't joining us to play together for Southampton for the next 10 years.

Sad to  say the days when any player for any club--not just us-- signs and stays are gone. I would like to go back to days when loyalty was at least a possibility but let's face it, there's no going back. So signing players with future value is the only way for a poor club like us can survive at top level--and our management are making a good job of it.

• Like 1

Just now, Roo1976 said:

Ah Jude Bellingham..............future England captain .Now this would be an insane signing and a coup for the club if we were to make inquiries about his future

and tempt him in. Pitty Southgate didn't trust him and the other exciting talent he wasted. Never get an easier chance to win a major tournament than the one just gone.

Jude Bellingham? He's a first team Dortmund player, his price is probably already £70m. That ship sailed even before he broke into the Birmingham team.

I don't know much about small other than the fact he's another highly rated young player, if he's as good as the reports suggest then we have the most exciting full back setup in a long time. Just think, last season we had KWP and Bertrand....talk about filling those gaps. We've done it a slightly different way, probably the only way we can, but I think this is a good use of any left over Ings/Vestergaard money.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

Yeah but i'd rather not be thinking about how much we can sell them for in the future, more interested in what they can do whilst they are here. Once they're gone they might as well not exist.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Roo1976 said:

We wont be signing Jude Bellingham mate :lol: 

2 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Yeah but i'd rather not be thinking about how much we can sell them for in the future, more interested in what they can do whilst they are here. Once they're gone they might as well not exist.

Yeah, I hate that approach. It seems to be creeping into every narrative though and seeds are being planted into supports heads so they accept this approach.

Surely our goal is to build the most competitive and exciting team for the future, that the clubs supporters can enjoy? Not hoover up all the talent in the hope of making a quick buck in 3 or 4 years. I'm not naive enough to expect them to stay with us forever, but to talk about selling them when they've just signed is such a noddy view.

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 2

Never seen him again, but looks like another coup, linked with the top clubs and highly rated at their club. I'm certainly not against becoming the Dortmund of the Premier League, either. 

Maybe Redmond could be the next Thierry Small.

Edited by HarvSFC
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, saintwbu said:

Ah that would make sense, was just about to say I wonder if that was our choice or his, as 3 years isn’t a long time in the modern game.

Bit worrying this, after second year we would be in a bit of a powerless position regarding fee..

i don’t mind signing these youngsters but the idea has to be that they are worth a lot should they be great 

2 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Yeah, I hate that approach. It seems to be creeping into every narrative though and seeds are being planted into supports heads so they accept this approach.

Surely our goal is to build the most competitive and exciting team for the future, that the clubs supporters can enjoy? Not hoover up all the talent in the hope of making a quick buck in 3 or 4 years. I'm not naive enough to expect them to stay with us forever, but to talk about selling them when they've just signed is such a noddy view.

Semmens seems to get a lot of love on here. But this is exactly what I don’t like about him,, it seems what you have said above is his MO and he is perfectly happy with us being a noddy club training scheme to sell out players to the big teams..

i much preferred corteses approach 

2 minutes ago, pimpin4rizeal said:

Semmens seems to get a lot of love on here. But this is exactly what I don’t like about him,, it seems what you have said above is his MO and he is perfectly happy with us being a noddy club training scheme to sell out players to the big teams..

i much preferred corteses approach 

Spend a load of someone else's money and cry about cutlery and toilets? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I know nothing about him, aside from what I've read in the past few days. He does seem very highly rated.

Looks like a clever piece of business.

I said it a few years back: I would be very happy for Saints to become the go-to destination for Euope's most talented yougsters. Make signings less than 24 years old from Europes 'lesser' leagues, along with 17/18/19 year old 'wonder kids'; help them develop and get 2-3 seasons of first team appearances from them before selling at a big profit.

Looks like this is the way we may be going.

• Like 4

• Lighthouse changed the title to Thierry Small