Thierry Small

SuperSAINT

In a few years time we're going to have one of the most exciting young teams in the country, just got to hope we keep our head above water in the here and now to allow that to happen.

A risky but brave approach we're taking this window.

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 3

Just now, hypochondriac said:

You'd imagine he'd be backup for peraud so probably wouldn't play too much unless he picks up an injury. Otherwise the cups maybe? 

I thought the same of Tino but some talent is too insane to bench. If Small is half the player Tino he will be a great addition to our steadily growing fantastic young core.

I'm liking our strategy in terms of these highly rated kids. Show we give them chances years ahead of their larger club and we could have some real success over the next few year, sporting and financially if chosen well. Make ourselves the club of choice for these kids who are way ahead of their age.  

• Like 6

Who on here has been watching a lot of Everton’s youth team and can give us the low down?

on the face of it looks good, YHGTI.

Low fee to bring him (+£5m agents fees and bonuses) and a high potential resale value. (Minus the massive agents fees and bonuses)

must have made some guarantees about first team football too as that’s why he’s leaving Everton 

Edited by Turkish

I like the fact young footballers want to play football instead of sit in the reserves on possibly bigger money and we are exploiting this. 

Also should be no buy back in this one, just compensation and probably a small sell on fee as part of that. 

Edited by tajjuk
  • Like 2

Just now, Fabrice29 said:

If this is true…and I’ve no idea how reliable the source is…I wonder if Tino’s exposure to the starting line up has been the clincher.

Indeed. 
It’s been mentioned before, but Crocker & Glover will know him, too.

I get the impression we are doing what Dortmund have done with Sancho and Bellingham, offering talent the chance of first team football at a young age. By their early 20ties they will have played loads of PL games, be worth millions and have some of the big clubs wanting their signatures. Instead of being loaned several times to championship clubs and having to wait ages for their PL debut.

• Like 6

31 minutes ago, MarkSFC said:

I'm liking our strategy in terms of these highly rated kids. Show we give them chances years ahead of their larger club and we could have some real success over the next few year, sporting and financially if chosen well. Make ourselves the club of choice for these kids who are way ahead of their age.  

It’s a sound strategy, as long as he can do a decent enough job if called upon. I guess in our situation we have to take a bit if a gamble.

7 minutes ago, Dr. Kucho said:

I get the impression we are doing what Dortmund have done with Sancho and Bellingham, offering talent the chance of first team football at a young age. By their early 20ties they will have played loads of PL games, be worth millions and have some of the big clubs wanting their signatures. Instead of being loaned several times to championship clubs and having to wait ages for their PL debut.

Thought that earlier. Building a team of u23s with the best ones integrated into the first team. Training with them, in the match day squad if good enough, with the idea being that we have a core of good young players to step in to replace out going’s, only spending when we have too. We then sell them on replacing with the next batch. It’s a good strategy to have but it means bringing in top young talent that fulfills their potential. Sadly for every one that does there are half a dozen that don’t. 

Alot of this strategy is obviously being driven by Crocker, but I imagine Ralphs reluctance to use many of the kids last season when injuries mounted has also influenced it. Ralph even said himself that they werent ready but it appears we're addressing that and adding youngsters who can be called upon if needed

• Like 1

I think we’re going to see heavier reliance on our wing backs and less reliance on wide attackers like Theo and Redmond, both of whom are unreliable anyway. Adding depth means that we can maintain that style without hitting the wall in mid-game - or, like last year - mid season.

This club is definitely heading in a more positive direction. Sure, there are still some issues but this could be fun to watch.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, a1ex2001 said:

Peraud looks a bit m’eh to me this lad might bench him if he is as good as reports make out.

Peraud looks fine to me, will be a good player for us I'm sure.

Another highly rated young prospect brought in as back up, future looking a bit rosier. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, hypochondriac said:

You'd imagine he'd be backup for peraud so probably wouldn't play too much unless he picks up an injury. Otherwise the cups maybe? 

Having two fullbacks each side that could potentially do a job in the first team means we can rotate more which means we can maintain our high intensity game for longer. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Saint_clark said:

Having two fullbacks each side that could potentially do a job in the first team means we can rotate more which means we can maintain our high intensity game for longer. 

That’s exactly what I think they’re aiming for. These are the most demanding roles in the way we’re going to play, so the depth is crucial. We have it on the right but we didn’t have it on the left - until this. Subbing Theo on Sunday - and not with Redmond - was quite telling. And, thank god, we’re no longer looking at Djenepo our as LB cover.

5 hours ago, Fabrice29 said:

If this is true…and I’ve no idea how reliable the source is…I wonder if Tino’s exposure to the starting line up has been the clincher.

It would make KWP’s dropping make more sense! Hopefully he gets back into the team once this nipper signs.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, a1ex2001 said:

Peraud looks a bit m’eh to me this lad might bench him if he is as good as reports make out.

Perraud's not the best technically otherwise he would be playing for Man City but from the little I've seen of him he has heart and desire and that's a big deal for a club like ours and it could make the difference between staying up and going down.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Singapore Saint said:

Theo and Redmond are probably going to be more of a father figure to the nippers in the days to come.

You'd like to think our starting players in those positions would be two of Armstrong, Djenepo and Tella anyway, but Ralph seems adamant that Tella should be used up front now annoyingly.

1 hour ago, Pilchards said:

Good we are getting our identity back.

Buy talent, play them and sell on big.

This will attract the best talent in the country as they know we will give them a chance plus let them move onto bigger things.

Very much the Dortmund style.

Good sustainable strategy, I wonder if the fans will be so understanding when they’re sold on once successful?

There is a poster on here who’s nephew is an Everton youngster just breaking into the first team, maybe he’ll give an insight soon.

• Lighthouse changed the title to Thierry Small