Thierry Small

SuperSAINT

44 minutes ago, Billy the Kidd said:

I agree, i didnt think he was anywhere near as bad as people made out the other day. I was more fucked off with the ever predictable losing of the ball, over hitting passes, tripping over the ball/and or feet from Djeneppo. Honestly, for me Moussa is one of the worst players ive ever seen get so much game time.

But Small, a bit of time will do him good at another club, think he will turn out fine.

did Small look sharp, busy and quick? 

Edited by Chez

He needs regular game time for sure. He has the attributes to be a top level player, but his experience is lacking in the sense of his positional play.

Get him a season of regular football, get his confidence up and let his physicality do the talking. He should run rings at that level.

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 3

• 6 months later...
1 minute ago, John Boy Saint said:

Raises the question - what do they see in him that we obviously haven't, given theirs and our current positions?

Probably just see it as an opp to pick up a bargain.  Reckon we'll let him go for pretty little and they might think they can turn things round for him.

Wierd delayed youth player swap given we picked up their left back Meghoma last window….this was always on the cards as you can’t have 3 young left backs at the same time (Larios).  Whether we’ve picked the right 2 is another question.

We’ve been here before with Gazzaniga who actually was ok for them. 

7 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Our young left back hoarding has been quite weird in recent years.

Small, Vokins still around, Rodriguez (although I think he's gone now), and then Larios this summer. None of them good enough for the first team either. (yet).

We've made a lot of money from left backs over the years (Bridge, Bale, Shaw) so it is a great plan, fill the youth team with left backs and sell for big sums. We don't have the same history for many other positions so why bother!

What is more odd is that even with that hoarding, we seem to be starting a right back or centre back there most of the time for the first team

3 minutes ago, SuperSAINT said:

That'd be sound, St Mirren are 'my' Scottish team. I can actually watched him and see if he's any good. I haven't rated him so far, but my FIL is a bluenose, and he was raving about him when we got him in.

Edited by kitch

2 hours ago, The Cat said:

Posters on Spursweb moaning about how "Spursy" that is and typical they lose out on a player to another club because they are cheapskates and couldn't agree terms.

Kind of a weird thing all round that:  1) They wanted him & 2) Couldn't agree terms.

Thierry is a real conundrum.  How old was he when he joined?  17?  Slotted straight into the B-Team and looked excellent driving forwards...

Yet the loan move didn't work out at all.  I think he has all the raw tools, but needs fine tuning.

38 minutes ago, SuperSAINT said:

Kind of a weird thing all round that:  1) They wanted him & 2) Couldn't agree terms.

Thierry is a real conundrum.  How old was he when he joined?  17?  Slotted straight into the B-Team and looked excellent driving forwards...

Yet the loan move didn't work out at all.  I think he has all the raw tools, but needs fine tuning.

He looked an absolutely great signing when we first got him, was charging up and down the line for youth teams setting up goals and causing chaos.

Then he got his debut and looked a bit out of his depth and seemed to struggle to get any form on loan.

I'm sure there's a good player in there somewhere.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Notice that young Thierry only managed a place on the bench for St Mirren tonight in their defeat at Motherwell.

Doesn't seem that great for his progress.

Interesting that another player with Saints connections and expected to make the grade as a youngster, Calum Slattery, was on the bench for Motherwell.

9 hours ago, spyinthesky said:

Notice that young Thierry only managed a place on the bench for St Mirren tonight in their defeat at Motherwell.

Doesn't seem that great for his progress.

Interesting that another player with Saints connections and expected to make the grade as a youngster, Calum Slattery, was on the bench for Motherwell.

Tbf Slattery usually starts for Motherwell.

As for Small, people have to remember he is still only 18. Hopefully he can force his way into the St Mirren team and get regular playing time.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sainttomski said:

I think Small got the assist last night for their goal

I watched the highlights to see - if that’s him with the ‘assist’ it’s a complete miss-kicked shot 😂

Still, one more assist that most of our squad have managed all season!

• 2 months later...
4 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

Looks like a bit of a flawed player, still only young but I don't think he's going to make it.

Highly rated at younger levels, but then looking at the size of him I expect he was 2 foot wider than anyone else. Always helps. 

58 minutes ago, skintsaint said:

I thought we offered low and Everton wanted 5m. Did the tribunal set the fee at 5m in the end? Nuts.

I thought it was £1.5, although there may have been add ons depending how he develops. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Badger said:

I thought it was £1.5, although there may have been add ons depending how he develops. 

I read up a bit about it, it seems we offered £1.5m and that was turned down, Everton wanted £5m. Can’t find a definitive fee but looks like around £4m.  Which is a lot.

17 hours ago, The Kraken said:

I read up a bit about it, it seems we offered £1.5m and that was turned down, Everton wanted £5m. Can’t find a definitive fee but looks like around £4m.  Which is a lot.

Yes, according to Transfermarkt, although his market valuation never rose above £1 mill, the fee we paid was £4 mill.

Thierry Small - Player profile 22/23 | Transfermarkt:

58 minutes ago, Nordic Saint said:

Yes, according to Transfermarkt, although his market valuation never rose above £1 mill, the fee we paid was £4 mill.

Thierry Small - Player profile 22/23 | Transfermarkt:

Transfermarkt is a terrible resource for transfer fees, so many of them are wrong on there. They wouldnt have a clue

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Dman said:

Highly rated at younger levels, but then looking at the size of him I expect he was 2 foot wider than anyone else. Always helps. 

This.  I'm slightly concerned that we seem to be targetting players who "excel at youth level" rather than "have the potential to excel at senior level".  If you develop more quickly it might give you a short term advantage but it will fade pretty quickly.

St Mirren have made the top part of the split in the Scottish Premiership "for the first time since the split was introduced in 2000-01" (pinched off Beeb), with some financial constraints at the club.

Small has had 10 games since he moved there. So, despite his idiotic sending off, he is getting some games, is still young, and can hopefully improve. Hopefully experiences like the two quick yellows will knock a few of the edges off of him too.