Salisu

Saint Garrett

Personally think Caleta-Car and ABK are better anyway. He’s regressed a lot for me since that Man City 1-1 game last season. 

Wouldn’t be upset if he went and I’d have confidence we could replace adequately (based on the summers recruitment of CB’s).

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, ErwinK1961 said:

Personally think Caleta-Car and ABK are better anyway. He’s regressed a lot for me since that Man City 1-1 game last season. 

Wouldn’t be upset if he went and I’d have confidence we could replace adequately (based on the summers recruitment of CB’s).

Agreed, he was excellent for the first part of last season but does seem to have regressed a bit rather than push on. Very much blows hot and cold these days and I would be more than happy with a partnership of ABK and DCC with Lyanco as decent back up plus a new signing.

I'm sure Sali will be off in the summer as looks unlikely to sign a new contract. As long as we get a decent fee I wouldn't be too upset.

• Like 3

I think it would be a big shame to lose him oh the cheap, he’s still only 23, and he’s shown plenty of potential. There is no doubt he’s struggled when he’s not got a solid defence around him, and I don’t think Bazunu has helped him this season, but he’s definitely not progressed as I think most of us were expecting. However he is still a very decent player…I’m hoping he’ll sign a new contract and stay with us for a few more years, but bringing in DCC last summer might well have been an early replacement for him. 

• Like 1

Not extending last summer said everything about his intentions and lack of desire to stay here long term. If Newcastle had come back in for him again, rather than signing Botman, I think we'd of sold to maximise our return. Shame. His form may have dipped a little, but finding god CBs (with pace, power and ball skills) is not easy.

He's a good player, and with a proper CDM and more experienced GK behind him. i am sure he'd have had a much better season and developed better. Will be a loss if he goes. But we can't really afford to let him go on the cheap - so if he won't renew its time to move him on.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, danjosaint said:

Let him go and then try and get Maxence Lacroix 

Romano had us in for him before, but we signed DCC. Lacroix is meant to be a real talent who Arsenal are also monitoring. Would be an upgrade on Salisu who I like and think could improve over time but has been quite erratic and lucky to get away with a few errors in recent games. 

5 hours ago, Chez said:

Not extending last summer said everything about his intentions and lack of desire to stay here long term. If Newcastle had come back in for him again, rather than signing Botman, I think we'd of sold to maximise our return. Shame. His form may have dipped a little, but finding god CBs (with pace, power and ball skills) is not easy.

Exactly - I still rate him very highly, and believe we have three of the best CB's in the Prem....with a solid back up in Lyanco.

Just the same, if he isn't going to extend it would be timely to seek out the best deal in the Summer, even if we stay up.

I really like him, and I think defensively he can be brilliant. But on the ball he is pretty horrendous at times. I think after that City game last season we would’ve all thought he’d be off to a top Prem club soon, but the fact the links are now Monaco and Marseille is probably a reflection of the drop off he has had since that game. 

Hopefully under SR we can become a bit better with contracts.

The amount of players who have signed 4 year contracts and then we get long running sagas with is quite extensive: Clyne, Wanyama, Hojbjerg, Ings, Vestergaard, and now Salisu. Aside from Ings, we pretty much got our money back or a small profit when we sold as we lost all leverage once they have a year to go.

With Salisu, he took a year to adapt where he barely played, so he effectively had a two year contract. 

I know its not always possible, but other clubs seem to manage to extend contracts much earlier, often after a year or so once its clear the player is decent. Recent example being Alexis MacAllister signing a 4 year deal with Brighton just before the WC. I'm sure Saints would just have been comfortable with the two years he had left. Brighton now know they will get £50m+ for him whereas without that it would be £25m.

Doesn't mean they will stay longer but does mean their value is protected, and Saints are supposedly all about value.

Edited by Dusic
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, Dusic said:

The amount of players who have signed 4 year contracts and then we get long running sagas with is quite extensive: Clyne, Wanyama, Hojbjerg, Ings, Vestergaard, and now Salisu. Aside from Ings, we pretty much got our money back or a small profit when we sold as we lost all leverage once they have a year to go.

With Salisu, he took a year to adapt where he barely played, so he effectively had a two year contract. 

I know its not always possible, but other clubs seem to manage to extend contracts much earlier, often after a year or so once its clear the player is decent. Recent example being Alexis MacAllister signing a 4 year deal with Brighton just before the WC. I'm sure Saints would just have been comfortable with the two years he had left. Brighton now know they will get £50m+ for him whereas without that it would be £25m.

Doesn't mean they will stay longer but does mean their value is protected, and Saints are supposedly all about value.

Yup - I think with our "model" an initial 4 year contract is far from ideal. Generally it takes players at least a year to get properly settled into the first team, and a year to start making strides. and by that point their in their last 2 years and agent's probably in their ear telling them not to sign a new one. Even players like KWP it's happened. I think 4 years with the club having an option to extend to a 5th is the way to go. Ideally they sign a new one after 2 years.

Edited by Saint Garrett

24 minutes ago, Dusic said:

Why don't we build an option for further years into the contract. Not sure if we've ever done that? Would mitigate the scenario where a player takes a little time to bed in, but then looks good and only has a year left. Of course, with all contracts the player has to agree and it may not be in their best interests to sign a potentially longer deal.

1 hour ago, Saint Garrett said:

Yup - I think with our "model" an initial 4 year contract is far from ideal. Generally it takes players at least a year to get properly settled into the first team, and a year to start making strides. and by that point their in their last 2 years and agent's probably in their ear telling them not to sign a new one. Even players like KWP it's happened. I think 4 years with the club having an option to extend to a 5th is the way to go. Ideally they sign a new one after 2 years.

That all pre-supposes that players would want the club to have an option - these contracts ain't on just our terms. 

• Like 1

On 17/01/2023 at 13:35, egg said:

That all pre-supposes that players would want the club to have an option - these contracts ain't on just our terms. 

I think the club manages to sell itself to players with the idea of "give us 2 good years and then we will sell you on to  a CL club" . An extra years delay in their career is not going to attract the likes of ABK. 

Obviously Salisu being injured for a lot of his first season put a spanner in the works.  Maybe we should have tried to extend him then. Once he had proved himself, that ship has sailed.   

I would still much rather have ABK and Salisu for 2 years than Hoedt for 5.  

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, redkeith said:

I think the club manages to sell itself to players with the idea of "give us 2 good years and then we will sell you on to  a CL club" . An extra years delay in their career is not going to attract the likes of ABK. 

Obviously Salisu being injured for a lot of his first season put a spanner in the works.  Maybe we should have tried to extend him then. Once he had proved himself, that ship has sailed.   

I would still much rather have ABK and Salisu for 2 years than Hoedt for 5.  

Exactly. We're seen as a stepping stone by these lads, and if we had the option to extend the contract when they wanted to move, we wouldn't get these players. A 4 year contract works for the club and the player. 

• Like 3

The problem with 5 year contracts is that if the player is a dud we are lumbered! Too many times in the recent past we've had players on amazing long term contracts and we cant sell them.

Watching the deadline day documentary on Sky I saw last night, the agent said 'you will be on a 4 year contract but you will leave after 2 to go to a bigger club.' 

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Salisu looked like a decent player who made mistakes based on inexperience. However after some time here and our coaches who seem to manage to make players worse and getting the opportunity to 'learn' from more experienced CB like Bednarek he really hasn't pushed on in the way he looked like he would, and become the finished article. I am assuming for his own future prospects he wants out rather than looking like a worse player over time due to our weird ability to degrade talent.

And I don't blame him.

Edited by Mystic Force
  • Like 1

Salisu is still very young in terms of a top centre back. It strikes me that he’s got some learning to do and would benefit from being in a strong partnership alongside a good quality, more experienced head. I can see a top ten side coming in for him, Newcastle have been rumoured before, I can see there being a bit of internet in him. He’s obviously got a stubborn streak to him, refused to play for his national side for ages, so absolutely can’t see him staying here next year if there’s any interest at all from a higher league.

11 hours ago, MAY-Z said:

He hasn’t signed a new deal, so can’t play, Ely hasn’t signed a new deal but he can. 

Perhaps one is still trying his best and one is going through the motions not wanting to get injured,  & lacking commitment. He does seem a bit of a cock to be honest. 

On 11/04/2023 at 02:00, MAY-Z said:

He hasn’t signed a new deal, so can’t play, Ely hasn’t signed a new deal but he can. What worries me is that I wouldn’t be surprised if Ely has done a McCarthy and signed a new deal in secret

Now that is a worry ! 

49 minutes ago, Wade Garrett said:

Salisu can fuck off.  Stroppy fucking cunt.  Spine of a jellyfish.

Shame, because he’s very good. Just has a stinking attitude if reports are to be believed.

I thought we always looked into the player's character as well as their ability before we signed them or don't we bother anymore.

For the attention of any interested party, Salisu is great, an excellent prospect for the future, a real team player, kind to his family, friends and pets, no off the field issues, a good trainer and worth every penny of the +£50m the club is reluctantly going to ask for his transfer at the end of the season.

• Like 1

He was injured and didn't play for Ghana. Possibly, he is just still injured.

That said, not sure why The Athletic would write this story unless there was something in it.

If the story is valid, I'm guessing a Prem club has already been in contact with his agent and they have agreed terms. So, he knows he is off and potentially Saints know too, with the agent or Salisu himself telling them he won't be signing a new deal and wants to leave this summer.   

1 hour ago, mickn said:

I thought we always looked into the player's character as well as their ability before we signed them or don't we bother anymore.

Always thought that was a load of bollocks. If you are signing a guy, who do you ask that will give you a honest answer? No one at the selling club is going to say, "he's a wanker, so don't give us that desperately needed £10m for his signature".

On 11/04/2023 at 13:22, The Kraken said:

Salisu is still very young in terms of a top centre back. It strikes me that he’s got some learning to do and would benefit from being in a strong partnership alongside a good quality, more experienced head. I can see a top ten side coming in for him, Newcastle have been rumoured before, I can see there being a bit of internet in him. He’s obviously got a stubborn streak to him, refused to play for his national side for ages, so absolutely can’t see him staying here next year if there’s any interest at all from a higher league.

The Newcastle boat may have sailed with them spending the money on Botman not long after they bid for Salisu. But powerful and quick international quality cb's are hard to find, so there will be a market. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Crab Lungs said:

As one of the less culpable but culpable all the same for getting us in this sh1t Ty position, he should stand up and be a man and help get us out of it. 

Assuming this is true and isn’t leaked club propaganda.

not sure how revealing they are not picking a guy because he can't be arsed helps anyone, especially if it isn't true.

It’s not that he cba or he’s a wanker or he’s gone on strike. I would hazard a guess that he has a move lined up, and Selles is questioning his commitment. 

From what I’ve been told, he’s been nothing but professional, and one of the best trainers in the club. It’s interesting time for him that’s for sure, but he won’t want to be playing in the championship, that’s for sure. And I don’t blame him. 

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Fabrice29 said:

He's not the only one who has a move lined up and not the only one with a contract running out so I would hazard at guess at the reasoning leaked to the media is a convenient one rather than the truth.

What do you mean by `convenient'?

I am genuinely struggling to understand how or why this information (reason for his absence) has come out - what possible good does it do to tell the world he has a bad attitude? Even if he does, it doesn't exactly boost any transfer fee we might get for him by telling the world. 

3 hours ago, Chez said:

What do you mean by `convenient'?

I am genuinely struggling to understand how or why this information (reason for his absence) has come out - what possible good does it do to tell the world he has a bad attitude? Even if he does, it doesn't exactly boost any transfer fee we might get for him by telling the world. 

Well it's better to paint Salisu as the bad guy rather than anyone at the club. Also ends any questioning as to why he's not in the squad. Maybe it's true that they've decided they don't like him looking for a way out but why then replace him in the squad with someone who is doing the same? Or maybe it's something else? Maybe a fall out with the manager who hasn't picked him since he's been in charge? Who knows. And I wouldn't worry about transfer fee's, it's all PR management, people in football will know the truth and won't worry about stuff leaked to the press. 

Edited by Fabrice29

3 hours ago, Fabrice29 said:

Well it's better to paint Salisu as the bad guy rather than anyone at the club. Also ends any questioning as to why he's not in the squad. Maybe it's true that they've decided they don't like him looking for a way out but why then replace him in the squad with someone who is doing the same? Or maybe it's something else? Maybe a fall out with the manager who hasn't picked him since he's been in charge? Who knows. And I wouldn't worry about transfer fee's, it's all PR management, people in football will know the truth and won't worry about stuff leaked to the press. 

The club wont have intentionally leaked this. Not in their interest to paint a bad picture about a player they may need to play games or to make money on. It's much more likely the source is a player or someone else in the club saying things they shouldn't.

Bad news though, as its likely true, which means we wont see him play again. 

13 hours ago, Chez said:

The club wont have intentionally leaked this. Not in their interest to paint a bad picture about a player they may need to play games or to make money on. It's much more likely the source is a player or someone else in the club saying things they shouldn't.

Bad news though, as it’s likely true, which means we wont see him play again.

Intrigued to know the difference between Salisu and KWP for example. Do you think KWP comes in everyday does his training and sets aside an hour after each session to discuss a contract he’s no intention of signing just to get in the side? Do you think DCC, who is posting pictures of himself on holiday in the city of a club publicly courting him, is fully committed to the club?

If the suggestion is true it’s double standards at the very least. I’d be very surprised if it wasn’t the club trying to manage the PR over a fairly popular player barely being picked since the new manager came in for a reason that is unknown. The sources that reported it are all well known club leak sources.

Edited by Fabrice29

On 12/04/2023 at 17:36, Chez said:

He was injured and didn't play for Ghana. Possibly, he is just still injured.

https://www.dailyecho.co.uk/sport/23456230.southamptons-selles-responds-report-salisu-commitment-issue/

Selles says he's injured.

However, he doesn't shut down the story by denying there is any issue with his commitment that might have/will lead to him not being selected.

He could easily have just said: "I don't know where that story came from. Salisu is fully committed, but sadly he is injured."  Instead he says: "“Salisu unfortunately is not available for us, so the issues for the attitude will be for the players who are with us working and trying to compete for the win.” 

I read that as: `his commitment sucks, but it doesn't really matter right now, as he's out injured anyway'. Or it's just a language thing.

8 hours ago, Fabrice29 said:

Intrigued to know the difference between Salisu and KWP for example. Do you think KWP comes in everyday does his training and sets aside an hour after each session to discuss a contract he’s no intention of signing just to get in the side?

The difference? KWP is contracted until 2025, works hard in training, gives his all in games and thus gets picked. Absolutely no reason for anyone to call him out on a lack of commitment. So no one has. I would imagine his agent handles contract negotiations by the way.

Also, not signing a longer term contract doesn't mean the player is are not committed right now. And for Selles, that's all that matters. The here and now. There will be little concern at the moment about whether KWP signs a new deal. Premiership survival is the sole focus. 

8 hours ago, Fabrice29 said:

Do you think DCC, who is posting pictures of himself on holiday in the city of a club publicly courting him, is fully committed to the club?

Not seen that. Tell me more. Where and when? 

I guess if you are not being picked, as he hasn't been, by and large, by all three managers, then it's understandable you'd be looking at other options going forward. I see your point though. The optics are not great. However, if he has been putting the effort in in training, and doing his job and being professional, there is nothing for Selles (or anyone else) to call him out about. He's perfectly entitled to go on holiday. So long as he hasn't gone AWOL.