Salisu

Saint Garrett

Quality player and he oozes class.

My fears are people are starting to notice and if he has massive ambitions then how long can we hold him for.

Dunno if it’s me but he seems to do the job of two defenders as Bedbatek never gets a mention on the commentary.

Agreed, worked tirelessly and is improving every game. Yes he made a clanger but he also sprayed a long ball from defence up front that was inch perfect that split their defence in half. 

It won't be that long until the big boys start sniffing about after him unfortunately. 

29 minutes ago, Saint Garrett said:

What a player. Absolutely superb yesterday and probably our best player so far this season. Deserves a lot of credit. Yes he’s young and still has the odd moment, but he will be playing for one of the big boys at some point.

Got to think about extending his contract IMO

I think Semmens said on TSP don’t be surprised if we see some news on new contracts soon… hoping it’s him and Diallo

Agree Salisu looked a class act and continues to get better, but Leeds offered little going forward and he was nearly involved in the cock up gifting James a good chance. That said Salisu must have been involved in so many interceptions and he goes on some good runs with the ball. 

Hopefully we can get him on a longer contract as he'll be worth a fortune if he keeps this up. 

24 minutes ago, JRM said:

Agree Salisu looked a class act and continues to get better, but Leeds offered little going forward and he was nearly involved in the cock up gifting James a good chance. That said Salisu must have been involved in so many interceptions and he goes on some good runs with the ball. 

Those two points are connected to each other. Leeds weren't a threat because Salisu and others stopped them before attacks could get going.

I said when he signed that he reminded me of Kolo Toure and nothing I've seen has changed my mind. Ok, he had a brain fart yesterday with a poor pass leading to a burst through the middle from James which he didn't deal with particularly well. However, his overall performance levels this season have been off the charts and he is only going to get better. As others have said, it is a matter of time before the big boys come sniffing and he is likely to be already on their radar. Maybe Newcastle will go after him, that wouldn't surprise me. 

3 hours ago, Saint Billy said:

Yes he made a clanger but he also sprayed a long ball from defence up front that was inch perfect that split their defence in half.

Even with that moment, I had it down as poor communication by McCarthy.

6 hours ago, Matthew Le God said:

Only if he signs a new contract beforehand. His current deal ends in June 2024, so 'a couple of years times' would see him with only 1 year left of his contract and his value dropped significantly. 

🙄 as is the case with most of your pedantic posts you know exactly what I meant and what point I was making. 

Easy to forget he’s only 22 years old. You can see he’s gaining confidence with the ball at his feet match-by-match. 

Tino is clearly a gem stealing a lot of plaudits, but im really excited about Salisu + Diallo’s futures as well.

Edited by Rickman42

52 minutes ago, kyle04 said:

"Salisu - su - su, he's the rock of our back 3

Salisu - su - su, he'll never let you free

To the left, to the right, he will never let you past

Salisu - su - su, southampton to the last !

He’s a rock in Ralph’s 4 2 2 2, or key component for rock

or if keep the ‘3’ then got to have ‘ Salisu su su he fucking ‘ates Pompey’

😇 Trying to keep with the original rhymes, I'm sure the Beatles had similar artistic hurdles. So for a 4 at the back :

"Salisu - su - su, he's the rock of our back 4

Salisu - su - su, we will love you ever more / he'll cock-slap you to the floor

etc...

• Haha 1

Said to Mrs JBS as he snuffed out yet another building attack “it’s ok pinching the ball off him in the first instance - but then you have to work out how to get around him - because he is huge” “and while you are thinking about that he’s nicked the ball back”.

Funny moment in the first half Leeds player went to challenge him came in at pace and just bounced off him like a rag doll - sat on the floor not sure if he was pleading to the ref for something or to his team mates to say “what else can I do?!”.

• 2 weeks later...

What a jewel Salisu is turning out to be. A top player and, as this shows, a top guy as well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IK1cAoTh700

He doesn't fit the mould of the self-centered, privileged footballers that are infesting the game these days, probably because he's so conscious of his family and his roots:

https://www.timeout.com/accra/travel/where-to-go-in-ghana-kumasi

That's why this sport needs to protect its roots at all costs.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CanadaSaint said:

What a jewel Salisu is turning out to be. A top player and, as this shows, a top guy as well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IK1cAoTh700

He doesn't fit the mould of the self-centered, privileged footballers that are infesting the game these days, probably because he's so conscious of his family and his roots:

https://www.timeout.com/accra/travel/where-to-go-in-ghana-kumasi

That's why this sport needs to protect its roots at all costs.

Probably our best player (alongside Tino) this season, absolutely brilliant footballer. Will be gone in a season or two so make the most of him! 

• Like 2

Sad as it will when he moves on, I will be proud that our club helped him on his progression. So hopefully we will keep him for a couple of seasons at least before he moves on to a bigger club.

I was trying to decide where he would likely go. Considering how quickly he has progressed I can only see a top 4 club being able to pay our asking price. I actually believe he will fetch a VVD type of price.

• Like 2

Need to get his contract sorted, as I believe he can be the player who can get us back to where we were and following a similar model to Leicester’s. We wasted the VvD money on unsaleable dross after high hopes of who we could bring in. Harry Maguire has since went for more money in £80m and Salisu will probably progress to be better than him. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Manuel said:

"Salisu, Lyanco, living in perfect harmony."

Surely Lyanco should be based on his self titled nickname gorilla 

lyanco lyanco

you’re a big gorilla man

lyanco lyanco

you’re a big gorilla man

Came from Torino, we never heard of you

you’re a big gorilla man

At the back ahead of bednarek,

you’re a big gorilla man

lyanco lyanco

You’re a big gorilla man

to the tune of monkey man which I doubt man of you will know 🙄

Edited by Turkish
  • Like 2

33 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Surely Lyanco should be based on his self titled nickname gorilla 

lyanco lyanco

you’re a big gorilla man

lyanco lyanco

you’re a big gorilla man

Came from Torino, we never heard of you

you’re a big gorilla man

At the back ahead of bednarek,

you’re a big gorilla man

lyanco lyanco

You’re a big gorilla man

to the tune of monkey man which I doubt man of you will know 🙄

That's simply dreadful, whatever your day job stick with it.

He's got such great timing. Plays very tight to his man and just always seems to get a toe in at the crucial moment. I'm sure the very highest quality strikers will have more luck turning him in those situations, but he kept the Watford attack in his pocket for most of the game today.

Also worth noting from his cameo - Lyanco can time a clearing header, which makes a change after years of watching Vest scoop them straight up in the air.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Ex Lion Tamer said:

Can anyone say that if they were Salisu, they would be signing a new contract? A good season this season and he'll be wanting to test himself at a higher level. Thinking optimistically, perhaps we could get a one year extension but I don't see much more

Why would he not sign one? He’ll get a decent play rise plus he’s only really started this season, last season he didn’t feature for months. He’ll also know we’ll sell him if we get a big enough offer, it’s what we do.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Ex Lion Tamer said:

Can anyone say that if they were Salisu, they would be signing a new contract? A good season this season and he'll be wanting to test himself at a higher level. Thinking optimistically, perhaps we could get a one year extension but I don't see much more

Absolutely as he’d probably double his wages at a time when he’s still relatively unknown.

The exact same thing happened with VVD, a whopping 6-year deal just a year after originally signing with us.

Has it in him to become one of the best centre backs in the premier League if he maintains his current rate of progress. I still think it could eventually be Newcastle who break the bank to prise him away from us because they need someone like him as their centre backs are very poor. It will be a sad day when he moves on but right now it looks inevitable. Hopefully we can hold on to him for as long as possible and when we sell it's for a huge fee and we use the money wisely. It's great to have Salisu plus Livramento who we can enjoy now knowing that we should get big money for both so puts the club in a more healthy position than if we had a load of dross with no potential sell on value.

• Like 1