2 hours ago, Minsk said:

Given Covid and injuries, expecting the starting 11 to be something like:

Willy

Valery   Lyanco  Bednarek   Perraud

Diallo

JWP           Moi

Theo                                  Arma

Long

(That would keep the likes of FF, Salisu, Stephens, Romeu, Tella, Redmond, Stu Armstrong and Broja fresh for Tuesday - even if some are needed to come off the bench - with fingers crossed for Tino, Che, Small and Smallbone also back in contention by then.)

You don't take the FA Cup seriously then?

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, igsey said:

Do we know how Swansea are doing for Covid/injuries? They're 17th in the Championship but I'm not going to pretend I've paid them any attention for about 3 years.

We played them in a friendly pre-season if you remember. We won 1-0 there. We beat Cardiff 4-0 so they must be better than the Blues.

3 minutes ago, ErwinK1961 said:

3-1 actually. 

I went to the match behind enemy lines. We were very good value for the win, playing 2 different teams including youngsters like Finnegan. I don't know how strong Swansea's team was but unless they have improved I would expect another comfortsble win. 

1 minute ago, Tamesaint said:

I went to the match behind enemy lines. We were very good value for the win, playing 2 different teams including youngsters like Finnegan. I don't know how strong Swansea's team was but unless they have improved I would expect another comfortsble win. 

I paid the fiver to watch it on Swans TV - thought we played really well (albeit against Championship opposition), S Armstrong in CM gave us proper forward momentum. Seem to recall other than Salisu's quality OG finish, the only other chance they had was McCarthy dicking around with a passback.  

4 hours ago, derry said:

Djenepo is at ACN in Cameroon playing for Mali.

Ah yes, my bad, thought there was a reason he'd miss out.

Sub in Elyounoussi instead, or Walcott.

Redmond tends to absolutely batter lower league opposition, if you only saw him in cup games you'd think he'd be our best player by a mile. Because of this I'd normally want him starting but he's been our best AM this season and is a bit injury prone so would rest him.

I have to say, the last time we played the Swans was one of my favorite games of the last ten years.

Worth every penny of what we paid Mark. Felt like a 90's escape game.

Glad this fixture has allowed me to rekindle some of those memories.

If you are going to be terminally shit, at least have a must win game right near the end! 

Cheers Sparky. 

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Pamplemousse said:

We were incredibly lucky to stay up that year. Will never forgive Les Reed for bringing in Pellegrino.

We were, unbelievable that Pellegrino lasted so long. Les Reed was also an idiot for giving Hughes a 3 year (?) contract. Should have thanked him and sent him on his way. 

When you look at how we were run then, you start to appreciate the job that Ralph, Semmens and others have done since. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, LiberalCommunist said:

I have to say, the last time we played the Swans was one of my favorite games of the last ten years.

If you are going to be terminally shit, at least have a must win game right near the end! 

Cheers Sparky. 

One of my favourite away days of recent years that one, proper 6 pointer battle, top support midweek think saints subsidised £10 tickets bargain 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AlexLaw76 said:

DDEvK8yXoAAOD_u.jpg

I think buying Carrilo was Reed's worse decision

Although sacking Puel with no decent replacement was not a good decision

But the players were pretty crap as well although when the new ones were  were bought I thought Hoedt and Lemina were pretty good signings

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AlexLaw76 said:

DDEvK8yXoAAOD_u.jpg

The memory of walking out of St Mary’s after our 0-0 draw against Swansea on the opening day of the season, and hearing other fans say ‘well it was much better than last season’ when it was actually worse, will be burned into my mind forever. Worst manager in PL in history in my opinion, given the amount of games he was given and how far backwards he managed to take us.

Edited by saintwbu

4 hours ago, LiberalCommunist said:

Cheers Sparky. 

That was the Hotelgate match wasn’t it?

That late goal was a proper limbs-flailing-everywhere-oh-right-I’m-only-in-my-living-room moment :lol: 

Reactions from both sets of players and the crowd at the end was a sight to see too.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Baird of the land said:

Forster

valery Stephens lyanco Simeu perraud

diallo Romeu armstrong

armstrong tella

I'd go with that, but Simeu has covid I think so I'd go with a back 4 and bring one of the youngsters into the front 4, either Olaigbe on the left or Ballard up top. 

Forster 

Valery Stephens Lyanco Perraud 

Diallo Romeu 

Armstrong                      Olaigbe

Armstrong Tella

56 minutes ago, egg said:

I'd go with that, but Simeu has covid I think so I'd go with a back 4 and bring one of the youngsters into the front 4, either Olaigbe on the left or Ballard up top. 

Forster 

Diallo Romeu 

Armstrong Tella

Hopefully we will have a stronger team than that Ralph usually puts out decent teams for the cup

1 minute ago, John B said:

Hopefully we will have a stronger team than that Ralph usually puts out decent teams for the cup

Our best keeper, our only available first team RB and LB, two of our 3 CM's, 2 decent first team CB's, our most senior available CF, our best 10. Not sure where it's weak tbh, and if we don't blood kids in cup games, when can we? 

1 hour ago, egg said:

Forster 

Diallo Romeu 

Armstrong Tella

I thought that it was Small who had covid , not Simeu ?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, eurosaint said:

Ah possibly, I may have confused them. Small is an interesting player. There's a case for blooding him with a senior pro ahead of him, or Perraud at LB with a youngster ahead of him. 

11 minutes ago, eurosaint said:

2 minutes ago, egg said:

Ah possibly, I may have confused them. Small is an interesting player. There's a case for blooding him with a senior pro ahead of him, or Perraud at LB with a youngster ahead of him. 

Yes, it is Small with Covid, not Simeu.

Edited by Matthew Le God
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, gandalf said:

The game is live on bbc1 Wales. I think you can view it via the iPlayer. I stand to be corrected.

Unfortunately looks like it might not be on iPlayer, can pick it up on 976 on Freesat, 978 on Sky, or 684 on Virgin Media though.

EDIT: Restark pointed out it looks like you can change your location on iPlayer to view.

Edited by Jimmy_D
Updated info.
  • Like 1

Tough one for Ralph to prepare for, Swansea haven't played for a month, who knows what their line up will be like , no fans in the stadium a strange dynamic becomes more like a training game. Having 9 subs and the ability to use 5 should be in our favour though. 

On 07/01/2022 at 14:34, Teddeer said:

You don't take the FA Cup seriously then?

Yes, I do. If you read my post again you will see that it says the team I am 'expecting to see', i.e. the one Ralph will pick. That does not mean it is, necessarily, the one I would pick. (I taught English as a foreign language for 14 years, so realise sometimes such explanations are needed.)

Having said that I think that line-up should be suffice to beat Swansea whilst resting a host of starters for Tuesday. I do realise that Theo and Shane aren't the players they once were, and cringe when they are selected in the premier league, but think they should be okay for today's opposition. Shane in particular had a good match last time out. Apart from them, Arma  with JWP and Moi (or maybe Stu Arm) in more advanced midfield roles should provide the goals. If not bring the Nathans and/or Armando off the bench for the last 20. Better than risking most of a team we want to start on Tuesday, imho.

Absolute heartbreak for the divs in here that like to suggest the shittest conceivable line up for cup ties.....sorry chaps but Ralphy is up for the cup again. 🏆🏆🏆

Thanks Ralph, let's get in the hat for the next round.

• Like 4

• Lighthouse changed the title to Swansea 2-3 Saints - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic