Swansea 2-3 Saints - Match Thread

Lighthouse

At least the muppet commentators will stop confusing Tella and Valery. Might still have a problem sorting out JWP and Stu though. Valery WAs actually doing OK, but it was always going to happen after the first booking. Hope Tino is fit for Brentford otherwise we will be stretched. 

4 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

Have you never nearly bumped into someone and held your hand out as a buffer? It's an instinctual reaction, and there is absolutely no way there was enough contact to affect Obafemi in any way at all. Ref was conned.

Why get anywhere near him to give the ref that option? 

• Like 1

Just now, Bushey Saint said:

Do we ever see anything else? We need to get shot of him as soon as possible - he is definitely not Premiership standard, not even as a squad player. 

Valery is now third choice right back and 5th choice CB (possibly 6th after Simeu). He's fine.

8 hours ago, CanadaSaint said:

Valery was gradually working is way back into Ralph's good books, despite some reservations, but that might remove him from the reckoning.

No big problem with the second yellow, but I think refs need to be a bit more tolerant before showing the first. With good refs a word in the ear is just as effective as a yellow, and it doesn't spoil games.

Yes. Lack of clear consistency by officials must be a mare for players. Some games players commit 5 or 6 nasty fouls and nothing. There was that player vs us a few weeks back, I forget who, where the ref went for his card, realized it would be a second yellow and changed his mind. Then there's other games where boom, first foul and the yellow is out. 

Edited by OttawaSaint
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Lighthouse said:

Why get anywhere near him to give the ref that option? 

he fucked him with the header and panicked and immediate reaction is to grab Obafemi as he runs past him. Understandable, but still pants.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

It was a stupid challenge and so was the first. Obafemi was always going to go down to any sort of contact.

It was stupid, but it also wasn’t a yellow card. I don’t know when the rules changed so that every foul is a yellow. 
Brain fats from both Yan and the ref.

I wouldn’t change too much but I’m thinking of the next game so would like Adam Armstrong on for Broja, but my only issue is that Armstrong doesn’t play very well as a lone striker, which is the situation we find ourselves in with this 441.

Just now, Chewy said:

It was stupid, but it also wasn’t a yellow card. I don’t know when the rules changed so that every foul is a yellow. 
Brain fats from both Yan and the ref.

He was through on goal. If you foul someone who is through on goal, no matter how soft, you get carded. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, warsash saint said:

Were the same loons on here slagging Valery off, the same ones singing his praises last week.  Fickle f###ers!

Yes, the boy did good but he needs to put a run of games together at a high level. We’ve just not seen it from him and tonight is totally unacceptable from him. An enjoyable performance down the toilet.

• Like 1

Just now, nta786 said:

I wouldn’t change too much but I’m thinking of the next game so would like Adam Armstrong on for Broja, but my only issue is that Armstrong doesn’t play very well as a lone striker, which is the situation we find ourselves in with this 441.

But we know he can score shed loads against Championship defences.

6 minutes ago, warsash saint said:

Were the same loons on here slagging Valery off, the same ones singing his praises last week.  Fickle f###ers!

He played well last week, today he was an idiot and may cost us the game.

It's not fickle, it's just seeing it how it is.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, badgerx16 said:

But we know he can score shed loads against Championship defences.

Yep, but as we’re down to 10 men I’m just not sure he’ll be effective.

Having looked at that challenge again, Valery was so silly to put a hand on his shoulder, think that is what gave it away.

We didn't learn from the Salisu sending off. We were murdering them so better to let them have a run on goal rather than get a stupid yellow card. The decision making drives me mad. Let him go and don't risk the second booking. Even if they'd scored I'm confident we'd have won. Now we're backs against the wall. Valery is a bit of a liability I'm afraid.

• Like 3

• Lighthouse changed the title to Swansea 2-3 Saints - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic