Saints 2-1 Coventry - Match Thread

whelk

Wow that's not as strong as I assumed it would be but, as we say, it should be enough to see us through. Livramento back and in a more attacking role will be an interesting experiment at least!

Walcott and Long. If we diss them do they both get hat-tricks today? 🤘

Good luck to Small. Well I got 5 of the 11 right. 🙄

My word what an interesting team, I hope we haven’t just thrown the FA Cup away with that line up.

These lot will be up for it, and equally I’d say it will be very difficult to come back for some if they can’t beat a Championship team. 

However, I’ll reserve any criticism until the end, only because the post will be digged up later otherwise. Let’s hope this team has built up some chemistry over the fortnight.

On paper that looks like 2 average championship sides playing. It’s an unnecessary risk - let’s hope he doesn’t have to make early subs with his strong bench. More so I’m not keen on giving players 3 weeks off - they’ll lose match fitness.

• Like 1

2 week break, needed to put out a stronger line up than that to get players back up to speed for midweek match. This could backfire but I hope not as I think we have a reasonable chance in the FA Cup with our strongest team. Would have preferred a strong staring eleven, get the game won then make subs but let's see.

• Like 1

Looks like Ralph is more worried about getting dragged into a relegation battle. Spurs, Man Utd and Everton will be real tough. That said, I'd have balanced the team across all 4 games rather than throw this game under the bus.

IMO should have prioritised this game.  

43 minutes ago, Langley saint said:

After a two week break I was expecting a stronger team than that???

Yep, I’m very surprised to see that many changes. I would say we are only playing 2 of our best 11, JWP and Livramento. That seems unnecessary to me after 2 weeks off, even with a couple of tough away Prem games coming up.

How will we line up? Livramento may play further forward? If so, will be interesting to see how that goes.

5 minutes ago, Dorchester Saint said:

We’re playing Spurs away on weds, this is a sensible squad rotation, more than capable of beating Coventry. 

Again we haven't played for 2 weeks , I understand and support some changes but a completely different back 5 ( including keeper ) is asking for trouble in my opinion? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Langley saint said:

Again we haven't played for 2 weeks , I understand and support some changes but a completely different back 5 ( including keeper ) is asking for trouble in my opinion? 

Think we've evened this game out far more than we needed to but hope Ralph proves me wrong.

2 minutes ago, SaintBobby said:

This is an unnerving start. Hope the major rotation in starting XI doesn't stuff us. Surely, we are free to focus on the cup given the current league situation?

Not sure that we are safe to be complacent in the league. All the clubs below have strengthened and we have stood still. 

• Lighthouse changed the title to Saints 2-1 Coventry - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic