Wolves 3-1 Saints - Match Thread

waylander

Very even before the goal. The goal itself was frustrating. Tella trying to play from the edge of the area rather than clearing it and allowing us to reset. Then a bit of bad luck where Bednarek gets a touch of the ball then with his second movement catches the man. Once i saw the replay i was pretty sure it was going to be a penalty. Then we had our best spell but Salisu couldn't quite direct his header and tella got under a very good chance. Still feel we've got a decent chance but equally could be picked off on the break. I'd like to get adams on for redmond as i feel Broja's been isolated too much.

Edited by Baird of the land
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, obelisk said:

I suppose Wolves players' rolling around on the floor as if shot all the time had to pay off in the end. The ref was too weak to stick to his original (correct) decision on the penalty.

they never do though. 

Why is it that VAR ref took 15 watches to decide that an error imght have been made, yet the ref watches it twice and say, yes I was wrong? The decision is made before the ref walks over to the TV. They are never going to go against the stokley park clan

• Like 2

1 minute ago, obelisk said:

I suppose Wolves players' rolling around on the floor as if shot all the time had to pay off in the end. The ref was too weak to stick to his original (correct) decision on the penalty.

You would think that referees would be less likely to overturn their decisions as they can then say yep I was right. Maybe they should be assessed on these stats at the end of the season. Unless it is clear and obvious it should never be overturned. IF it is clear and obvious then it should not take more than a minute to decide either. If they have to look and multiple angles then it to me is not clear and obvious 🤷🏽 

10 minutes ago, trousers said:

Indeed. VAR isn't there to decide if it was a penalty or not. It's there to decide if the referee made a clear and obvious error. If it takes more than a few seconds to work out then, by definition, its not clear nor obvious. Anyway, better shut up before we have Lord D breathing down our necks with his "bias pony" routine

Absolutely, and so fucking bored of it being abused. They started this season using it as it should be after being caned for getting it all wrong last season, didn't see a red or yellow line for the first few weeks, no interminable backwards and forwards replays. But now it's back with avengence. Why ffs?

• Like 1

Just now, Chez said:

they never do though. 

Why is it that VAR ref took 15 watches to decide that an error imght have been made, yet the ref watches it twice and say, yes I was wrong? The decision is made before the ref walks over to the TV. They are never going to go against the stokley park clan

This and it is like a stage and theatre for them. 🤡 and I’m a qualified referee with the FA. Madness. 

I would hate to have to watch wolves every week, I’d rather take the odd 9-0 spanking than watch this diving and rolling around bore fest week in and week out. 

our players doing okay, bednarek unlucky to not make contact with the ball for the pen, Redmond a little out of sorts today and think Che would stretch them more and bring Broja into the game. Tella not looking as confident but tbf he is still out of position against a more disciplined side. They’ve had their chances and so have we. Still points available.

3 minutes ago, Sheaf Saint said:

What is it with Wolves and dodgy penalty decisions?

Last season they got awarded one for a ludicrous handball decision against Bertrand.

At SMS earlier this season I seem to recall we had a clear one not given

Now this today.

It's getting a bit annoying now.

Not only that but a Wolves player controlled the ball with his outstretched arm in their box about 5 minutes later...no pen!

[In the Bertrand pen game]

Edited by OttawaSaint
  • Like 1

Think Ralph made the wrong decision putting Tella in at RWB - OK against Brentford but not against stronger opposition. We’re playing well but their players are more likely to cheat for a pen and guess what, we obliged. Having said that, we gave the Ref no option… their player was taken out and so it was a defo pen. Their defence is solid so can see them hitting us on the break as we try to get the equaliser. Would change Tella for KWP at half time.

1 minute ago, Wade Garrett said:

I would bring Armstrong S and KWP on and go 4-4-2.  Take off Bednarek and Diallo.

Mind you, I haven’t got a fucking clue.

Diallo has done absolutely fuck all. He's supposed to be playing left midfield, but at one point he stood around while Wolves were attacking as though he was a forward and getting goal side was not necessary. WTF?

Ify penalty decision, you could see a slight contact with the ball which is normally enough, certainly enough for a big 6 team. Having said that, Tella should have lumped it upfield before that, instead of trying to control it with 2 men on him. 

• Like 2

Just now, redkeith said:

Ify penalty decision, you could see a slight contact with the ball which is normally enough, certainly enough for a big 6 team. Having said that, Tella should have lumped it upfield before that, instead of trying to control it with 2 men on him. 

This 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sheaf Saint said:

Just watching the HT replays again and from one angle he quite clearly got the ball, but the ref didn't look at that angle on the monitor. Fucksake.

he only gets to watch what VAR ref decides, which is wrong. He should get every single angle they do

VAR is bollocks.

• Like 2

I think we've just about edged this game but they're very organised and their keeper is quality. Salisu should have scored that header though. I think it was just about a pen. Had Bednarek got a knick ont he ball I think he's be okay but I don't think he touched it. We're still very much in this game but this will be a real test of Ralphs tactical abilities here. Wolves are a difficult side to break down and will fancy themselves now. The positives are we have a strong bench and we've been creating chances. Now that we're chasing the game, it will be interesting to see if we change shape.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Sheaf Saint said:

What is it with Wolves and dodgy penalty decisions?

Last season they got awarded one for a ludicrous handball decision against Bertrand.

At SMS earlier this season I seem to recall we had a clear one not given

Now this today.

It's getting a bit annoying now.

We should have had one for handball in the same game. Dendonker dangling and arm out to block a long ball in a far more obvious and deliberate action than Bertrand who had the ball smacked at him from about 6m. It is fucking infuriating how bafflingly inconsistent it all is.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Mallagroth said:

I would hate to have to watch wolves every week, I’d rather take the odd 9-0 spanking than watch this diving and rolling around bore fest week in and week out. 

our players doing okay, bednarek unlucky to not make contact with the ball for the pen, Redmond a little out of sorts today and think Che would stretch them more and bring Broja into the game. Tella not looking as confident but tbf he is still out of position against a more disciplined side. They’ve had their chances and so have we. Still points available.

SAINTSWEB WARNING:

This is way too rational. Please resort back to mindlessly writing off all our players as championship players every time someone makes a marginal error or we get an unlucky break.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Disco Stu said:

I think we've just about edged this game but they're very organised and their keeper is quality. Salisu should have scored that header though. I think it was just about a pen. Had Bednarek got a knick ont he ball I think he's be okay but I don't think he touched it. We're still very much in this game but this will be a real test of Ralphs tactical abilities here. Wolves are a difficult side to break down and will fancy themselves now. The positives are we have a strong bench and we've been creating chances. Now that we're chasing the game, it will be interesting to see if we change shape.

The camera angle from the side of the pitch shows he clearly did. But VAR didn't show that angle to the ref on the monitor.

1 minute ago, Mystic Force said:

Don't think you should be rewarded with a penalty, when you did not have possession of the ball, over run the ball and then fall over the guy on the ground after you missed the ball.

In a American Football you do not get the infringement if you are not within distance of receiving the ball. It works well. I think this is the case as well. Unless you punch someone of course. 

3 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Had Bednarek got a knick on the ball I think he's be okay but I don't think he touched it.

Even if you are right, VAR shouldn't have overturned the referee's decision as it wasn't a clear and obvious error....

p.s. if Bednarek did make contact with the ball but the referee had given the penalty, I'd be saying the same thing, i.e. VAR shouldn't overrule the original decision

Edited by trousers

1 minute ago, Disco Stu said:

I think bednarek brushes the ball in his first challenge but since he doesn't clear the ball his second challenge where he doesn't get the ball is why its given as a pen.

Agree that it's the sort of decision that sometimes won't be given consistently.

If VAR is there to resolve clear and obvious errors then there's no way it should be fannying around for 2-3 minutes trying to decide on a 50-50 decision. Thirty seconds should be enough to make such a decision. Even a minute is stretching it. As it is VAR is ruining the game.

• Lighthouse changed the title to Wolves 3-1 Saints - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic