Wolves 3-1 Saints - Match Thread

waylander

3 hours ago, Micky said:

Anybody know how strict the Covid 19 Pass checks will be?  Me and the boy both fully jabbed but the NHS Covid 19 pass app ain't working for us. 

Can you maybe take the little cards you got when you were jabbed (credit card size) ?

My mate used his at SMS on Tuesday and they just waved him through !!

6 hours ago, Micky said:

Anybody know how strict the Covid 19 Pass checks will be?  Me and the boy both fully jabbed but the NHS Covid 19 pass app ain't working for us. 

Can you try via a desktop and then print it out? That's what I've done and it saves a lot of inconvenient stabbing at a phone screen when there's poor reception..

15 hours ago, Micky said:

The app you need to use is the NHS app rather than the NHS Covid app - which doesn't make sense at all. Nonetheless, on the NHS app once you put in your NHS number you'll be able to download a domestic or travel COVID pass. It confussed me the first time I tried to do it aswell. 

Wolves have only scored 14 goals which is ten less than us and we think we're struggling to put away chances! This gives me real hope that we can come away with something. They are not banging in goals for fun. Most of their wins are 1-0. On the flip side of course they concede few - just 14 so far. If we can score at least one goal I feel we have a great chance of at least a draw. It's a tricky one to call.

• Like 1

It's certainly going to be an intriguing match; Wolves are only 4 points above us.  I was surprised to see that they have only scored 14 goals, yet have won 8 matches. Their defence has proved to be formidable, conceding only 14 goal, a weird symmetry for a team fairly high in the table.They are a dour, defensive side.

If we can score early and maintain our recent defending form, we will win.  1-2 to Saints.

Saints are playing with a new positivity buoyed no doubt by the takeover and a sense perhaps that we are no longer a club that has to beg, borrow and steal its way to surviving in the PL. Removing that shadow over the club may derive huge benefits for the manager and the players. We are in good form with great team spirit and a sense of togetherness that we have not seen for a few years. A happy dressing room indeed! We have nothing to fear from any other club in the PL as results testify. Having lost only 6 games all season - arguably two of which we should never have lost anyway - we have amply proved we are very difficult to beat home or away.

Saints should go into tomorrow's match with confidence and dare I suggest bit of a swagger, the result in the reverse fixture at SMS was a travesty on the balance of play and we are far better now than then. Barring any serious injury problems that we don't know about yet our current starting XI is good enough to take the game to teams around us in the league. I expect us to do well tomorrow and looking for a 3-1 win COYS.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Charlie Wayman said:

Saints are playing with a new positivity buoyed no doubt by the takeover and a sense perhaps that we are no longer a club that has to beg, borrow and steal its way to surviving in the PL. Removing that shadow over the club may derive huge benefits for the manager and the players. We are in good form with great team spirit and a sense of togetherness that we have not seen for a few years. A happy dressing room indeed! We have nothing to fear from any other club in the PL as results testify. Having lost only 6 games all season - arguably two of which we should never have lost anyway - we have amply proved we are very difficult to beat home or away.

Saints should go into tomorrow's match with confidence and dare I suggest bit of a swagger, the result in the reverse fixture at SMS was a travesty on the balance of play and we are far better now than then. Barring any serious injury problems that we don't know about yet our current starting XI is good enough to take the game to teams around us in the league. I expect us to do well tomorrow and looking for a 3-1 win COYS.

Well said!

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Charlie Wayman said:

I think you often see clubs that are united from the top down do well.

Leicester are a fine example of that.

Whenever there is uncertainty at the top it will always filter down and eventually impact the first team, maybe not immediate but certainly over time. 

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 2

27 minutes ago, Saint-Reece said:

Small & KWP back from COVID for this. Moi and Walcott out with COVID, Livramento also still out (as expected). Don't think Ralph mentioned any other injuries in press conference.

Smallbone still out with a calf injury

(Is it me or do we seem to have more than our fair share of calf injuries this season?)

Edited by trousers

1 hour ago, Saint-Reece said:

Small & KWP back from COVID for this. Moi and Walcott out with COVID, Livramento also still out (as expected). Don't think Ralph mentioned any other injuries in press conference.

Small played yesterday for the U23's or B team or whatever. I guess he can still make the bench for tomorrow though.

On 12/01/2022 at 18:54, Totton Saint said:

I thougth he was on the brink of crying

Shows a lot of commitment, though.      Players love to come on... and hate to go off.

Personally  I much prefer those who put everything into 60 minutes and run themselves into the ground

rather than those who just wander around for 90 minutes and have little positive effect on the game.

On 12/01/2022 at 16:08, Saint Garrett said:

Would go back to the 4-2-2-2 personally:

Forster; KWP Bednarek Salisu Perraud; Romeu JWP; Armstrong Tella Redmond Broja 

Man United went 4222 against Wolves last week and got played off the park. Absolutely dominated in midfield.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, qwertyell said:

Man United went 4222 against Wolves last week and got played off the park. Absolutely dominated in midfield.

I don't get why anyone would want to change the formation we used against Brentford. The 5 at the back worked perfectly and for this game we can swap in KWP for Tella making us even stronger. Stick with it and also the 3 in midfield which was a revelation in terms of how well they gelled and how we had so much more shape as a team. It allowed us to play at a higher intensity for longer because we didn't have a midfield 2 haring everywhere and getting knackered and then leaving the defence exposed. I don't see how we can split up the midfield 3 of JWP, Romeu and Diallo who looked very fluid together. Diallo must be given more game time as he is a superb player and will get better but not from the bench.  Come on Ralph, you know it makes sense.

• Like 5

18 minutes ago, qwertyell said:

McTomminay and Matic (or Fred for that matter) aren't half as good as JWP and Romeu.

6 minutes ago, Teddeer said:

I don't get why anyone would want to change the formation we used against Brentford. The 5 at the back worked perfectly and for this game we can swap in KWP for Tella making us even stronger. Stick with it and also the 3 in midfield which was a revelation in terms of how well they gelled and how we had so much more shape as a team. It allowed us to play at a higher intensity for longer because we didn't have a midfield 2 haring everywhere and getting knackered and then leaving the defence exposed. I don't see how we can split up the midfield 3 of JWP, Romeu and Diallo who looked very fluid together. Diallo must be given more game time as he is a superb player and will get better but not from the bench.  Come on Ralph, you know it makes sense.

I would stick with the 352 but I guess the two reasons one might deviate from the formation with Brentford would be:

1) Lyanco was still pretty erratic and better forwards might make him pay for his poor touchs and overplaying

2) whilst we won 4-1 we actually didn't create a huge amount. We had an xG of 1.4 and were aided by some very fine touches and finishes. Wolves have a better defence so maybe having an extra creative mid might help break them down, even though we didn't need it at Brentford as they are worse defensively and we finished very well

29 minutes ago, qwertyell said:

I really don’t think 4222 is a formation that is suited to this league. 

It’s far too attacking and the pace of the game is too high to maintain the intensity to press and overwhelm the opposition for a full 90 minutes. 

A team like wolves will just sit back, contain us and hit us on the counter attack when we start to drop off the intensity. As they did at St Mary’s. 

Added to that, other than Armstrong, we have no players suited to the ‘10’ role. 

JWP has looked a better player when ‘free’d’ up a little with a 3 man midfield, as well. 

I’d much rather us go 352 / 4411 and try and control the midfield a little more. 

The key man in our midfield is Romeu though. Without him, JWP and diallo struggle a bit with the physicality in there. He’s not a stand out, he does the dirty stuff and he does it bloody well. 

I don’t see why we change anything up from Tuesday, other than maybe lyanco out for stephens, if I’m honest. 

Edited by Dman
  • Like 3

9 minutes ago, TWar said:

I would stick with the 352 but I guess the two reasons one might deviate from the formation with Brentford would be:

1) Lyanco was still pretty erratic and better forwards might make him pay for his poor touchs and overplaying

2) whilst we won 4-1 we actually didn't create a huge amount. We had an xG of 1.4 and were aided by some very fine touches and finishes. Wolves have a better defence so maybe having an extra creative mid might help break them down, even though we didn't need it at Brentford as they are worse defensively and we finished very well

I agree about Lyanco and would swap him out for Jack Stephens.

3 hours ago, Teddeer said:

100% correct. Totally agree with you. So will Ralph!

• Like 1

23 hours ago, eurosaint said:

Can you maybe take the little cards you got when you were jabbed (credit card size) ?

My mate used his at SMS on Tuesday and they just waved him through !!

20 hours ago, suewhistle said:

Can you try via a desktop and then print it out? That's what I've done and it saves a lot of inconvenient stabbing at a phone screen when there's poor reception..

11 hours ago, daldridge7 said:

The app you need to use is the NHS app rather than the NHS Covid app - which doesn't make sense at all. Nonetheless, on the NHS app once you put in your NHS number you'll be able to download a domestic or travel COVID pass. It confussed me the first time I tried to do it aswell. 

Thank you all!  I was using the correct app but it just kept saying that my covid pass has expired and wouldn't renew it!  However I have now sorted it after lots of messing about, I also have hard copy print outs, and my individual inoculation cards as well.  So all bases covered,  many thanks for your advice. 

22 minutes ago, Micky said:

Thank you all!  I was using the correct app but it just kept saying that my covid pass has expired and wouldn't renew it!  However I have now sorted it after lots of messing about, I also have hard copy print outs, and my individual inoculation cards as well.  So all bases covered,  many thanks for your advice. 

Guaranteed after all effort that they won't even ask.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

To be fair Ralph in the week acknowledged lyanco is erratic and said that it's something they are working on.Guess it's catch 22 as without playing him he can't improve that aspect of his game,unfortunately we may have to settle for a mistake or two along the way but hopefully not costly ones 

• Like 1

I'm at the theatre for a matinee during this game for the wife's birthday. 🙄 What's the best way to get goal alerts to my phone so I can feel the vibration when there's a goal in our game? 

Draw today would be ok. Play like we did on Tuesday and we could win.

47 minutes ago, SNSUN said:

I'm at the theatre for a matinee during this game for the wife's birthday. 🙄 What's the best way to get goal alerts to my phone so I can feel the vibration when there's a goal in our game? 

Draw today would be ok. Play like we did on Tuesday and we could win.

Download the Livescore app and select the game for notifications

• Lighthouse changed the title to Wolves 3-1 Saints - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic