Summer 2022 Transfer Window

mcbendy

6 hours ago, SNSUN said:

Nope, a week earlier.

Incidentally Carillo is available on a free transfer. Bargain. 🤪

Surely " the Black Box "  should have picked up on this one ! ... after all,  he's a player who played for Monaco and 

was once transferred for £20 million  ....Oh......that was us - wasn't it ?  (sic) Oh No You Didnt GIF by happydog

• Confused 1

8 hours ago, Pat from Poole said:

Gakpo was nothing special against Rangers last week.

Didn’t see anything to convince me he would be a better bet than Broja.

Might not of been playing 100% (subconsciously) lots of teams interested in him no point getting injured when you could be set for life in a few weeks.

Edited by Convict Colony

29 minutes ago, Convict Colony said:

Might not of been playing 100% (subconsciously) lots of teams interested in him no point getting injured when you could be set for life in a few weeks.

In regards to Gakpo's recent game for PSV against Rangers i totally agree with the above. I remember watching a couple of Celtic games when we were in for Van Dyke as i had never seen him play before and i was very underwhelmed by his half arsed performances. 

5 hours ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

Hopefully the PSV chairman comes out and says a similar comment in a few days time! I do think he’d take us over not moving at all, but is probably still holding out for that United link.

I’m unsure about AMN happening or not. He turned us down before in favour of a shit team because 1. He wanted to play in midfield & 2. He wanted to start as much as possible. Here he’d be our back-up RB (for half the season) and third choice CM (should Romeu leave), you’d have to imagine he’d be offered more than that at Bournemouth.

It's a bit sad really (though from a selfish point of view good for us being a beneficiary) but basically the PL has broken European transfers, the average net spend of PL clubs is around £60 million this year, compared with the net spend of the other European clubs in the Champions League, which is only about £45 million. 

PL money is also only going up.

Basically middle PL clubs can spend more than top Champs League clubs in other countries aside the few known elite (PSG, Bayern, Real etc.). 

Hence you get players moving from title challenging 'big' European clubs to mid table PL clubs. 

I think if we do get Gakpo it would be not much more than a glorified loan deal. I think he'd want reassurances that we would sell him on next summer. He's already pretty close to getting to the likes of Manchester United, I can't see him wanting to hang around at SMS for too long. If we get him, great, but I think the plan would be to then sell on to the first CL club next summer.

7 hours ago, CanadaSaint said:

Gakpo seems like an exciting prospect but Maitland-Niles would be an excellent acquisition, too. Our starting lineup is much upgraded but it’s a long hard season, especially for the younger players. Having someone like AMN, who can play multiple positions, single-handedly gives us a big boost in depth. I really hope we can land him.

AMN has seemingly spent years preferring not to play rather than playing where the manager wants/needs him to play. Something ain't right there. 

• Like 2

I think we’ll only get one more player in but honestly can’t call who it’s going to be.

- AMN on loan, seems more a Bournemouth signing but equally after their recent results would that be off-putting to a player?

- Caleta-Car, ambitious, rumour has re-emerged out of nowhere. Think it’ll very much be a case of IF Bednarek/Stephens leaving.

- Gakpo, stranger things have happened. Would be one hell of a statement of intent. Again I think the club would pull out all the stops to do this but will have to make some sales along the way.

We don’t know how big SR’s warchest is but they can’t allow us to go down if they wish to compete with the City Group or RB franchises!

• Confused 1

Also FYI some of these Saints accounts on Twitter are just run by fans who would gladly take something from rumour sites with no source if it means they can get a tweet out to excite the fan base.

Only rely on articles with sources, more reputable journos, not Twitter ITK’s.
It’s going to be a mad final few days and I think most clubs will be sniffing around on deadline day to complete deals.

Rik Elfrink article:

https://www.ed.nl/psv/deze-clubs-uit-engeland-jagen-nog-op-gakpo-psv-rondt-laatste-loodjes-op-de-transfermarkt-af~a5a75202/?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=socialsharing_web

Says 3 PL clubs want Gakpo, who will probably leave before end of window.

Can't read it to see who the other two are.

Surely no way we will go towards £40m for a player. Even if we were to sell him in a year or two we would only make a decent profit if he turned out to be extremely good.

Hope we have a backup option ready to go...

Edited by Dusic

Just listed to the PSV fan podcast Rik Elferink. Elferink said: 

Several clubs were interested in Gakpo this summer, Leeds, United, Nottingham and now us. Forest offered 25 million euro, that was denied straight away. Leeds no mention of an offer and United phoned PSV, but nothing serious. Gakpo and Erik ten Hag both have the same agent Elferink said.

We offered between 35 and 40 million euro. PSV want no less then 50 million. Our offer was refused but clubs still in talks. PSV don’t want a last minute deal because they need an replacement for Gakpo. 

That’s all the interesting stuff that was said.
My next update will be tomorrow as I have used my 3 posts. 

• Like 11

2 minutes ago, Dr. Kucho said:

Several clubs were interested in Gakpo this summer, Leeds, United, Nottingham and now us. Forest offered 25 million euro, that was denied straight away. Leeds no mention of an offer and United phoned PSV, but nothing serious. Gakpo and Erik ten Hag both have the same agent Elferink said.

We offered between 35 and 40 million euro. PSV want no less then 50 million. Our offer was refused but clubs still in talks. PSV don’t want a last minute deal because they need an replacement for Gakpo. 

Mods: give the man unlimited posts until the window shuts at least 😃

• Like 5

27 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

I think we’ll only get one more player in but honestly can’t call who it’s going to be.

- AMN on loan, seems more a Bournemouth signing but equally after their recent results would that be off-putting to a player?

- Caleta-Car, ambitious, rumour has re-emerged out of nowhere. Think it’ll very much be a case of IF Bednarek/Stephens leaving.

- Gakpo, stranger things have happened. Would be one hell of a statement of intent. Again I think the club would pull out all the stops to do this but will have to make some sales along the way.

We don’t know how big SR’s warchest is but they can’t allow us to go down if they wish to compete with the City Group or RB franchises!

Want 3 in apparently, ST, FB, AM

Edited by Saint Garrett
  • Like 16

8 minutes ago, Dr. Kucho said:

Interesting. We should know in the next day or two then if this one has legs. Cheers. 

7 minutes ago, skintsaint said:

Time to walk away from this one. Utd got their pants pulled down by Ajax for Antony and PSV trying to do the same.

Doesn't really seem like a #saintsy deal, does it. 50m doesn't leave an awful lot of room for manoeuvre when we look to sell in two years' time.

I wont pretend to be a European football fanatic.I have been wondering is it the player thats actually exciting fans or the the price range being quoted?

Is it a case of "we have never stood a chance" which tbf we still may not, and the fact that a player rated at that much money is being lined to Saints has got everyones interest peaked?

Or is Gakpo a really, really good player and the two go hand in hand?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, SNSUN said:

Nope, a week earlier.

Incidentally Carillo is available on a free transfer. Bargain. 🤪

He wasn't as bad as everyone thinks. He got written off before he'd even kicked a ball and was being taunted and jeered within his first two games. He got far less time to shine than the academy boys that we retain year after year after year despite them clearly not being good enough (Sims, Gallagher, Hesketh, Reed etc) and then claim they "didn't get a chance" when we finally release them with half their careers gone.

I know squad is important too but I’d rather we concentrate on our first 11 then cover like caleta Carr and amn..

our cb pairing are good our cm pairing are good are full backs are good and keeper too.. it’s the attacking options that are lacking ..

we are a couple of signings away from having a super team now. Imigine the difference it would make if we had gakpo and broja now 😍..

either would make it a superb window but I hope we spend our money on these positions 

32 minutes ago, Dr. Kucho said:

This feels like a perfect opportunity to offer someone like Redmond or Moi as a make weight. Both of whom would do very well in the Dutch league, imo. 

2 minutes ago, Dman said:

This feels like a perfect opportunity to offer someone like Redmond or Moi as a make weight. Both of whom would do very well in the Dutch league, imo. 

Build me a lovely house and I will offer you a piece of sweetcorn as payment

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, DT said:

Bournemouth sack Parker. Harsh. But interesting comparing it to our double 9-0 approach. Cuts the pool down..

Utterly ridiculous. I don't think he's a particularly great manager (not terrible either) from what we've seen so far but why give someone a whole summer to get to know players, be involved in transfers, plan for the season and then just chop them after 4 games. Giving him a summer is basically committing to giving him a chance, seems like a proper knee jerk reaction to go back on that after 4 games.

Sacking any manager in August is just ridiculous tbh

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, DT said:

Bournemouth sack Parker. Harsh. But interesting comparing it to our double 9-0 approach. Cuts the pool down..

Seems to be as much about the comments he made after the 9-0, as the result itself.

Wonder if Old Saggy Face will put his hat in the ring?!

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Mr Nimbus said:

11PM Tomorrow (minus the last minute "deal sheets")

It's 11pm on Thursday 1st September, 100%.

72 hrs to supposedly bring in 3 and lose 3. I can't remember us ever being this active in the closing hours before.

• Like 1

Just now, Bad Wolf said:

Utterly ridiculous. I don't think he's a particularly great manager (not terrible either) from what we've seen so far but why give someone a whole summer to get to know players, be involved in transfers, plan for the season and then just chop them after 4 games. Giving him a summer is basically committing to giving him a chance, seems like a proper knee jerk reaction to go back on that after 4 games.

Sacking any manager in August is just ridiculous tbh

I don't think saying he was expecting more heavy defeats from his group of players really helped his cause...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Saint_lambden said:

I don't think saying he was expecting more heavy defeats from his group of players really helped his cause...

Pretty much. He's hung the ownership out to dry by saying if you don't give me more money, then we will lose more games and not compete. 

They don't have very good players, not even close, but you can't sell out the owner like that given the backing he provided in January. Only one result after he did that, and it's a culmination of comments over the course of weeks.

Somewhat strikes of a club without any footballing structure though.

Edited by S-Clarke

2 minutes ago, Saint_lambden said:

Didn't see that but I take things like that with a pinch of salt because it's probably twisted by the media. He was shellshocked, put under the spotlight and probably didn't know what he was going on about.