Summer 2022 Transfer Window

mcbendy

So, if we sign both Maitland-Niles and Caleta-Car will we have the most double-barrelled names in any one football club ever?!!

Bella-Kotchap

Walker-Peters

Ward-Prowse

Caleta-Car

Maitland-Niles

We could also technically include Lyanco Neves-Vojnovic in this list.

That ignores the B Team player Zuriel Otseh-Taiwo and under 18 players Fedel Ross-Lang and Ryan Chavez-Munoz.

For good measure you could also include Lexi Lloyd-Smith from the women's team and the head of women's football Marieanne Spacey-Cale!

Edited by SaintJackoInHurworth
Missed out Lyanco

2 hours ago, SuperSAINT said:

Verdict on this report, @Dr. Kucho ?

All day it was quiet in the Dutch media regarding our interest in Gakpo. Then this evening suddenly all the major Dutch football websites, the NOS (Dutch BBC) and the biggest Dutch news website Nu.nl are all reporting we are in talks with PSV. 

Rik Elfrink just posted that he did a podcast with some PSV fans. He said that Gakpo has already said his goodbyes. The podcast will be online tomorrow morning, I’ll try and listen to it and hope to get some more information. 

• Like 20

2 minutes ago, Dr. Kucho said:

All day it was quiet in the Dutch media regarding our interest in Gakpo. Then this evening suddenly all the major Dutch football websites, the NOS (Dutch BBC) and the biggest Dutch news website Nu.nl are all reporting we are in talks with PSV. 

Rik Elfrink just posted that he did a podcast with some PSV fans. He said that Gakpo has already said his goodbyes. The podcast will be online tomorrow morning, I’ll try and listen to it and hope to get some more information. 

That sounds very positive

1 hour ago, Smirking_Saint said:

I don’t think we’ve done enough, but that doesn’t mean its a bad window.. if I could be arsed to go back and look at what it was we needed most of us would say a DM, CB, FB, Striker, AM… none of us expected us to get close to that… yet we’ve done it all except for a striker and FB… by all accounts this is already a good window, if we complete the rest it will be incredible 

All info coming out of and around the club looks like they are aiming to conclude a striker and probably also the FB we need as well as another AM and CM

So why exactly are we saying SR havn’t done enough ? Where we were before SR squad wise was indicative of poor quantity and quality of recruitment, they look like they’ve immediately addressed that

We apparently have around 40m for a proper striker if reports are to be believed, that is significant for us and I despite what some of thd moaners want I don’t want to just waste that on the wrong targets… because lets face it… you’ll be moaning about that next year…

Wasn't moaning so you've misinterpreted what I said and put your own slant on it. Merely expressed a view that I think we need a striker and creative number 10 before the window closes. I thought this was a forum for people to discuss our football club and give their opinions. Mine may not coincide with your own appraisal of what we need but that doesn't mean I'm moaning, far from it. I've already said we've done good business so far and signed some great players. Don't mistake moaning for adopting a different view to your own. 

19 minutes ago, Dr. Kucho said:

Dramatic Chipmunk GIF

• Haha 13

6 minutes ago, SuperSAINT said:

Dramatic Chipmunk GIF

“Cody, that team from England have bid for you!”

“That’s good enough for me, goodbye lads!”

Later…

”We will shortly be landing at Southampton airport…”

”Wait, aren’t we supposed to be going to Manchester?”

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, SNSUN said:

“Cody, that team from England have bid for you!”

“That’s good enough for me, goodbye lads!”

Later…

”We will shortly be landing at Southampton airport…”

”Wait, aren’t we supposed to be going to Manchester?”

Reminds me when Ibrahimovic said to his agent something along the lines of “the best you can do is Southampton?!?!”

43 minutes ago, Dr. Kucho said:

My only concern in all this is it now opens the door for MLG's return to the forum to start the Gakpo Saga thread

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

MLG is being pedantic to people on Twitter instead. Some people really do have little else to do 🤣

Did we get a fee for him ?

Either way hope this forum isn’t subsidising his wages 

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

MLG is being pedantic to people on Twitter instead. Some people really do have little else to do 🤣

Had to go have a gander after you said this. 

The bloke really does need to get laid a lot more often. I’ve not encountered many people as argumentative as him! 

• Haha 1

Hopefully we wake up to news that a fee has been agreed. Always thought they'd be a 'marquee' signing from the new owners. Didn't we offer upto £30m with add ons for Broja and over £20m for Delap? We clearly have the money, it's just whether we have the pull as a bottom half team to attract very good players. I think we'll be pleasantly surprised about our business in the next few days. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Sfcphilc said:

Hopefully we wake up to news that a fee has been agreed. Always thought they'd be a 'marquee' signing from the new owners. Didn't we offer upto £30m with add ons for Broja and over £20m for Delap? We clearly have the money, it's just whether we have the pull as a bottom half team to attract very good players. I think we'll be pleasantly surprised about our business in the next few days. 

25m plus add on for delap so we do have the money for a marquee signing.

• Confused 2

1 hour ago, saintant said:

Wasn't moaning so you've misinterpreted what I said and put your own slant on it. Merely expressed a view that I think we need a striker and creative number 10 before the window closes. I thought this was a forum for people to discuss our football club and give their opinions. Mine may not coincide with your own appraisal of what we need but that doesn't mean I'm moaning, far from it. I've already said we've done good business so far and signed some great players. Don't mistake moaning for adopting a different view to your own. 

Fair enough… I wasn’t only having a pop at you tbf… and fwiw I agree.. we need to do more… but I can’t really blame SR for that, who largely have done a great job upgrading the coaching, recruitment and playing side of things and have undone a lot of the damage done by either no recruitment or crap recruitment under the previous regime

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Smirking_Saint said:

Fair enough… I wasn’t only having a pop at you tbf… and fwiw I agree.. we need to do more… but I can’t really blame SR for that, who largely have done a great job upgrading the coaching, recruitment and playing side of things and have undone a lot of the damage done by either no recruitment or crap recruitment under the previous regime

They've done an excellent job. The problem for them is how much we had to do due to a few years of neglect. If we do manage to stay up this year, you would think it would be considerably easier next summer. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

If we do end up signing him, would we get a striker as well? Maybe just a loan? 

If we push the boat out for him then i wouldn't be surprised if it's because we can't get the marquee striker we were after and are having to settle for a loan instead, so are hoping to make up for it in the wing position

Just now, Ex Lion Tamer said:

If we push the boat out for him then i wouldn't be surprised if it's because we can't get the marquee striker we were after and are having to settle for a loan instead, so are hoping to make up for it in the wing position

I'd be alright with that I reckon. We really need some creativity. 

1 minute ago, hypochondriac said:

If we do end up signing him, would we get a striker as well? Maybe just a loan? 

I'd like to think we'd get a striker in permanently along side him. But that could cost upwards of £60m for both. I think we'll see many outgoings before the window shuts to help fund this spending spree. Walcott probably a loan until his contract runs out. Redmond also. Willing to listen to offers for Diallo, Ely, Stephens, Bednarek. Sounds like we're stalling Romeu's move to Girona. I think there's still going to be alot of activity! 

3 hours ago, DT said:

Agree 100%. Long hard season. And will need to rotate. 

Well with a 6 week break in between.

Yeah, you cant time injuries, but that is some pretty good re-coup time that the squad normally would not have the luxury of having.

24 minutes ago, Sfcphilc said:

I'd like to think we'd get a striker in permanently along side him. But that could cost upwards of £60m for both. I think we'll see many outgoings before the window shuts to help fund this spending spree. Walcott probably a loan until his contract runs out. Redmond also. Willing to listen to offers for Diallo, Ely, Stephens, Bednarek. Sounds like we're stalling Romeu's move to Girona. I think there's still going to be alot of activity! 

Yes but selling that lot might fund this guys right leg. Maybe 15-20 million max for that lot if anyone even wants them and that's being pretty generous. 

2 hours ago, Nolan said:

Game 1: XXXX

Game 2: XX

Game 3: X

Game 4: X

So not to forget, so far this season we've conceded 2 since starting with 4 at the back.

and of those 2..

One was a free kick and the other a world class strike, that is more often missed than made when attempted.

Are we bringing Cedric back ?

Fun fact. He is the oldest player on Arsenal's 25 man roster

Edited by SaintTex
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, Nieldy said:

Just think we paid 19 Millon for Guido Carrillo in 2018.What a success he was.Wasnt he signed on the last day of transfer day.

Nope, a week earlier.

Incidentally Carillo is available on a free transfer. Bargain. 🤪

• Haha 1

Gakpo seems like an exciting prospect but Maitland-Niles would be an excellent acquisition, too. Our starting lineup is much upgraded but it’s a long hard season, especially for the younger players. Having someone like AMN, who can play multiple positions, single-handedly gives us a big boost in depth. I really hope we can land him.

• Like 6

10 minutes ago, CanadaSaint said:

Gakpo seems like an exciting prospect but Maitland-Niles would be an excellent acquisition, too. Our starting lineup is much upgraded but it’s a long hard season, especially for the younger players. Having someone like AMN, who can play multiple positions, single-handedly gives us a big boost in depth. I really hope we can land him.

I’d like AMN too, gives us a few extra options and a decent player. Seems like every season I’ve suggested him as being a decent acquisition. Not sure it’ll happen though, all the links seem to either come from Arsenal or the agent. So far I’ve read that we’ve been offered the chance to sign him, and the player would be interested but precious little that we hold an interest.

Hope I’m wrong but not holding my breath.

Can you imagine an 11th hour triple signing of AMN, Caleta-Car and Gakpo?! It would surely be marked as the best window for decades and significantly improve the odds for us getting a top half finish. Exciting times hopefully, but I cannot help but believe Gakpo from PSV is too ambitious a signing for #saintsy SFC?

• Like 3

Hopefully the PSV chairman comes out and says a similar comment in a few days time! I do think he’d take us over not moving at all, but is probably still holding out for that United link.

I’m unsure about AMN happening or not. He turned us down before in favour of a shit team because 1. He wanted to play in midfield & 2. He wanted to start as much as possible. Here he’d be our back-up RB (for half the season) and third choice CM (should Romeu leave), you’d have to imagine he’d be offered more than that at Bournemouth.

3 hours ago, Ex Lion Tamer said:

I wouldn’t be surprised if we’ve had to up our budget due to the clubs around us spending freely

I said before that we’re seeing the financial freedom of the Prem, compared to Europe in action here.. and the prem clubs are taking advantage snd grabbing talent whilst we can

From our perspective our rivals in the lower prem are also strengthening considerably so maybe we are going for it to keep up

I wouldnt want to be under Gao ownership this year… I think we’d almost certainly be for the chop

• Like 2

8 hours ago, SaintJackoInHurworth said:

So, if we sign both Maitland-Niles and Caleta-Car will we have the most double-barrelled names in any one football club ever?!!

Bella-Kotchap

Walker-Peters

Ward-Prowse

Caleta-Car

Maitland-Niles

We could also technically include Lyanco Neves-Vojnovic in this list.

That ignores the B Team player Zuriel Otseh-Taiwo and under 18 players Fedel Ross-Lang and Ryan Chavez-Munoz.

For good measure you could also include Lexi Lloyd-Smith from the women's team and the head of women's football Marieanne Spacey-Cale!

Saints set the grade on this one back in 1977 when (following the departure of Mel Blyth),  Lawrie McMenemy utilised a young CB named...

Forbes Phillipson-Masters .  (Lawrie later commented that he sounded like a half-back line ....all on his own). 

Unfortunately  FPM's Saints career was short-lived (9 apps.) as Lawrie later signed the slightly-better known .....Chris Nicholl  who clocked up 

over 250 games, and later became Saints manager after McMenemy had left. 

• Like 1