Summer 2022 Transfer Window

mcbendy

Just now, Yozzman said:

Aren't they all similar types of player though? I would have thought a striker would be more pressing for them.

They seem to be focusing on one thing - defence. 3 at the back, Coady, Tarkowski, holding midfielders etc. They will be an utter bore fest to watch, but it may work.

Their points in recent games have come from them defending and then hitting on the break through Gordon. That genuinely seems like the tactic they're going to use.

• Like 2

Just now, Yozzman said:

Aren't they all similar types of player though? I would have thought a striker would be more pressing for them.

Maupay is their new striker. Their alternative to Che it seems. Plus Gordon looks to be staying, if Lampard’s deadline comment isn’t a negotiation tactic…

Just now, S-Clarke said:

They seem to be focusing on one thing - defence. 3 at the back, Coady, Tarkowski, holding midfielders etc. They will be an utter bore fest to watch, but it may work.

Their points in recent games have come from them defending and then hitting on the break through Gordon. That genuinely seems like the tactic they're going to use.

Very solid defensive signings. Think you’re right entertainment wise, we’re going to have much more fun watching Saints this season!

17 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Premier League clubs set for restrictions on spending | Sport | The Times

I fail to see how these sort of changes increase competitiveness. The clubs with the higher revenues will be able to dominate the market because they can, even if we wanted to have a pop we'd be stuck.

They don't but FFP never was either, this has all come from the likes of City, PSG etc. upsetting the old elite clubs, that is where the Super League comes from as well. No doubt this sort of pressure was applied by Liverpool, Man Utd etc. off the back of the super league nonsense.

Same with champs league format changes and the 'wildcards'. God forbid a big club has a bad season and misses out on the Champs league, now they don't have to worry they will get in anyway. 

It's all designed to keep the big clubs in an exclusive rich pot. The rest of the European elite already hates the PL because it has so much money and it spreads it out more evenly so lesser PL clubs can offer big fees and wages.  

All of them missing the point that the situation in for example France or Germany where one club wins the league every year and most of the time no other club has a chance is boring AF and puts the fans off. But the owners of these old school big teams don't care about competition or the good of the game, they just want the money and think they have an exclusive right to it. 

Look at the seeding system as well in the Champs League, aside the Europa league winners, basically 'new' teams into the competition that get into the group stages will get a crap seeding and tough group, but a big team that say finishes 4th in their league, if they have a good coefficient, they'll place higher than league winners from other countries. Again all designed to keep the rich richer, can't have 3 or 4 big clubs in the same group with the chance of being knocked out, with some minnow getting through to the knock out stages, that is a no no. 

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, tajjuk said:

They don't but FFP never was either, this has all come from the likes of City, PSG etc. upsetting the old elite clubs, that is where the Super League comes from as well. No doubt this sort of pressure was applied by Liverpool, Man Utd etc. off the back of the super league nonsense.

Same with champs league format changes and the 'wildcards'. God forbid a big club has a bad season and misses out on the Champs league, now they don't have to worry they will get in anyway. 

It's all designed to keep the big clubs in an exclusive rich pot. The rest of the European elite already hates the PL because it has so much money and it spreads it out more evenly so lesser PL clubs can offer big fees and wages.  

All of them missing the point that the situation in for example France or Germany where one club wins the league every year and most of the time no other club has a chance is boring AF and puts the fans off. But the owners of these old school big teams don't care about competition or the good of the game, they just want the money and think they have an exclusive right to it. 

Look at the seeding system as well in the Champs League, aside the Europa league winners, basically 'new' teams into the competition that get into the group stages will get a crap seeding and tough group, but a big team that say finishes 4th in their league, if they have a good coefficient, they'll place higher than league winners from other countries. Again all designed to keep the rich richer, can't have 3 or 4 big clubs in the same group with the chance of being knocked out, with some minnow getting through to the knock out stages, that is a no no. 

Anyone would think the G 14 were alive and well after all they controlled most of Europe.

14 minutes ago, tajjuk said:

Exactly, FFP is equally pointless. It's masked as financial fair play, but actually it's a sly ploy to create an elite group that cannot be touched. It's not a super league, but they'll create leagues within their own leagues as others won't be able to compete. As you say, that's what we've already seen in France as a fine example. 

When you get Everton and Barca doing what they're doing, after being in breach of so many FFP rules, you start to realise that it's only their to service an elite group. Part of me thinks a super league could be a good thing in the sense of letting all these 'elite' morons piss off and play with each other, but that would equally harm the likes of us as revenue/TV money would collapse. 

• Like 1

If, and obviously still a big if, we were to sign Gakpo then would imagine we couldnt afford to drop another £15m on Garner anyway.

Maitland Niles loan would then be very appealing as could replace Romeu and provide fullback cover without paying out another big fee.

Personally I think Stephens will go and Bednarek will stay. No point loaning Jan out and weakening our own backup CB area just to strengthen a rivals, whereas with Stephens we can essentially say that ABK has replaced him.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SuperSAINT said:

I love how Everton can beat us to players even when they have no money.

The funny thing is they're spunking money on midfielders when it's their attack that needs work. Maupay, Rondon and an injury prone DCL are not going to score enough goals to keep them up. Gray and Gordon will drift in and out of form too. Could be in trouble.

6 minutes ago, Dusic said:

If, and obviously still a big if, we were to sign Gakpo then would imagine we couldnt afford to drop another £15m on Garner anyway.

Maitland Niles loan would then be very appealing as could replace Romeu and provide fullback cover without paying out another big fee.

Personally I think Stephens will go and Bednarek will stay. No point loaning Jan out and weakening our own backup CB area just to strengthen a rivals, whereas with Stephens we can essentially say that ABK has replaced him.

Yeah I can't see us losing two CBs unless we have a plan to bump Simeu up to the first team after his successful loan last season. It would ask a lot of ABK and Salisu to last all season with just Lyanco as a senior back up, and I still don't fully feel comfortable seeing Valery as a CB. However the fact that Bednarek was on the bench last night over Stephens is interesting. Maybe we want to keep Jan and let Jack go. In the real world we'd let both go and bring someone else in but we are pressed for time.

Been browsing on some PSV forums hoping to find some ITKs who might have some more information regarding Gakpo. Conclusion, the only and by far the most reliable source remains Rik Elferink. He has connections within the club and will break any news first. 

Gakpo trained with the team yesterday and as it stands will play in their home game against Volendam tonight. 
If PSV sign an attacking player today, we know Gakpo is leaving them.

And for those who didn’t know, Marcel Brands, the former Everton technical director, is the managing director of PSV. He knows how the clubs in the PL work and how to get the best out of a deal. 

• Like 8

6 minutes ago, DT said:

My guess is Gakpo (just, by the skin of our teeth) (I bloomin hope), AMN on loan, and Bednarek out to whoever for around 10-15mill. Stephens perhaps to Bournemouth too. Oriel gets very late move

If Bednarek & Stephens both leave then we've got to bring in another CB, otherwise we're leaving ourselves very short. 

I think it's more likely Bednarek leaves as we'll get a decent fee for him.

If both leave I'd be more than happy with Caleta-Car.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Hmm. Saints offered/wanted to pay £21.4m. PSV want 35-40million. Feels like the wording is not quite right on that tweet. Can't see us paying 40m having offered £21.4m.
You'd of thought the personal agreement part would be well down the line by now.

9 minutes ago, saintant said:

They cheated fairplay rules by burying their finances in claims that covid cost them far more than any other club.

They had to sell Richarlson by a certain date to help out. They’ll be in a similar position next year with the current spending. 

16 minutes ago, Dr. Kucho said:

Been browsing on some PSV forums hoping to find some ITKs who might have some more information regarding Gakpo. Conclusion, the only and by far the most reliable source remains Rik Elferink. He has connections within the club and will break any news first. 

Gakpo trained with the team yesterday and as it stands will play in their home game against Volendam tonight. 
If PSV sign an attacking player today, we know Gakpo is leaving them.

And for those who didn’t know, Marcel Brands, the former Everton technical director, is the managing director of PSV. He knows how the clubs in the PL work and how to get the best out of a deal. 

which deals did he oversee at Everton, because there has been some right doozies over the last few years!

• Like 1

Whats the situation with signing a striker? 

Yes, we could bring in Gakpo but hes more of a winger. We've been linked with all sorts of strikers in recent months including Ramos, Kaladjzic, Delap etc but theres no concrete links atm. Were they being considered as replacements for Che and now we've decided not to sell? Are we going with the City approach from recent years and basing our attack on similar speedy players playing off one front man?

Personally think we may be leaving ourselves short, even with signing Gakpo. Long and Broja have left and we've only brought Mara in. AA has also become more of a threat on the left as opposed to through the middle. An injury to Che and we could be struggling

• Like 2

I haven't prepared myself for Oriol leaving us in this window. He's been such a big player for us, during some real turmoil. Absolutely loved his time here, from his first walk around Soton vid. Great player, and super human being. I hope him and his family are really happy with the next chapter. 

60 yellows, no reds, never equalled. Control. 

• Like 22

From what I'm told on Bednarek, Villa only want a loan deal with an option to buy at the end of it but West Ham might explore a permanent deal, depending on what fee they get for Craig Dawson who is on the way out. He's desperate to leave and his relationship with some of the new coaching team is "not great". 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Chez said:

Hmm. Saints offered/wanted to pay £21.4m. PSV want 35-40million. Feels like the wording is not quite right on that tweet. Can't see us paying 40m having offered £21.4m.
You'd of thought the personal agreement part would be well down the line by now.

Thats €35-40m which is £30-34m. Can see us agreeing on something like £26m +£5m in add ons

• Like 1

1 minute ago, LiberalCommunist said:

I haven't prepared myself for Oriol leaving us in this window. He's been such a big player for us, during some real turmoil. Absolutely loved his time here, from his first walk around Soton vid. Great player, and super human being. I hope him and his family are really happy with the next chapter. 

60 yellows, no reds, never equalled. Control. 

👍👏

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Dr. Kucho said:

Brands was the one responsible for spunking over £500m on a load of dross at Everton. It seems all he knows about PL transfer dealing is how to have his pants pulled down and overpay.

I'm not sure that works in our favour here.