Summer 2022 Transfer Window

mcbendy

I get stuck into work for a few hours, and all this happens ffs??

We are really leaning on Shields quite heavily, he will know all about those two kids. AMN is a no brainer and is more of the profile of player we'd look for, Garner wasn't ever quite that type in my opinion.

We are going to be a seriously athletic side.

9 minutes ago, Sfcphilc said:

To be honest, I'd rather Maitland-Niles on loan than spending our limited money on Garner.

We need to keep our funds for forward options.

Yep. The attackers don't come cheap, so a smart move. Helps us reshape the squad as much as possible...which we sure needed to do.

If AMN settles and does well then it will be a great choice. 

Have City basically told us to take their best talent to develop haha 

I'd go back in for:

Mebude,  Cole Palmer and I'd get Tuchel on the blower and see what Vale and Ampadu are up to... 

If we get This Gapko lad in or similar calibre player wow what a window hats off to new owners 👏 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

We are going to be a seriously athletic side.

boy did we need some players that cover the ground in midfield and get their foot in. We also needed more power at CB and have got that. 

Got to say that I preferred Issa Kaboré to Larios, but the left back position perhaps needs more attention than the right.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ally_uk said:

Have City basically told us to take their best talent to develop haha 

I'd go back in for:

Mebude,  Cole Palmer and I'd get Tuchel on the blower and see what Vale and Ampadu are up to... 

If we get This Gapko lad in or similar calibre player wow what a window hats off to new owners 👏 

I am pretty sure we will continue to go back to the City/Chelsea well, however, if we have a good season with these nippers, you have to wonder if every owner/director is going to instruct their club to do the same. Dortmund kind of set the precedent wiht Sancho, but we are the Prem version right now.

• Like 1

I copied this from elsewhere, but a city fans perspective of the deal for Edozie.

-------

Absolutely mad the money we are rinsing teams for. This kid is so lightweight, he won't be making it in the PL.

City are signing a Swiss international with nearly 50 caps about to enter his peak years with over 250 appearances at the top level for less than double what Southampton are paying for a kid who's never been thought of as anything other than a decent academy player. This isn't Foden, Palmer, Lavia, Delap, MacAtee.

If we can get Larios, Edozie, AMN and Gakpo in before the window shuts then its fair to say we have had an absolutely magnificent window. Come on Saints, get it done and we could be onto something special here.

2 minutes ago, Chez said:

boy did we need some players that cover the ground in midfield and get their foot in. We also needed more power at CB and have got that. 

Got to say that I preferred Issa Kaboré to Larios, but the left back position perhaps needs more attention than the right.

I think it would have been odd signing another right back, we obviously pin a lot on Tino returning and being the superstar we know he is. This young kid won't be first team, but you'd 'hope' we've already got our succession plan in place for either evolving Perraud or replacing KWP.

It's similar to what Brighton did with Cacideo - sold Bissouma, but they already had his replacement in the building.

3 minutes ago, Saint NL said:

I copied this from elsewhere, but a city fans perspective of the deal for Edozie.

-------

Absolutely mad the money we are rinsing teams for. This kid is so lightweight, he won't be making it in the PL.

City are signing a Swiss international with nearly 50 caps about to enter his peak years with over 250 appearances at the top level for less than double what Southampton are paying for a kid who's never been thought of as anything other than a decent academy player. This isn't Foden, Palmer, Lavia, Delap, MacAtee.

Think I’ll trust Shields over a City fan tbh, especially for a player that I doubt many have actually seen play. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

I think it would have been odd signing another right back, we obviously pin a lot on Tino returning and being the superstar we know he is. This young kid won't be first team, but you'd 'hope' we've already got our succession plan in place for either evolving Perraud or replacing KWP.

It's similar to what Brighton did with Cacideo - sold Bissouma, but they already had his replacement in the building.

Worth remembering we would also have Maitland niles who can play at the back if required. 

6 minutes ago, Saint NL said:

-------

I thought he looked a bit lightweight when I looked at the YouTube videos when we were first linked.  Shields obviously knows him though and you've got to trust his judgement - it's why he's here. 

Not all our signings need to be hulking great physical players anyway.  I wouldn't have complained about Carvalho (now at Liverpool) and he looks like a tiny child.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Saint NL said:

-------

I guess much will depend on how much we pay for Edozie, hopefully not as much as Basunu or Lavia.  He certainly looks a little lightweight which could be an issue, but I know there were similar concerns about KWP when we signed him too. And he didn't turn out badly. 

Maitland-Niles on loan with an option to buy is best of both worlds, if he's naff then just leave him be but gives us an extra body in a few places. If he turns out to be decent then we've got a ready-made player to buy next season.

I wonder if we will make use of our second loan slot?

Just now, Saint Garrett said:

One of them was always going to go, shame it isnt Macca though.

McC is perfectly fine as backup and I don’t think we’ve seen anything at all to suggest Lis is an obvious upgrade. I think the latter will replace Willy next year.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Convict Colony said:

@SuperSAINT is the MVP of this transfer window, damn bro you will need a new keyboard by the time its over

Super Saintarama and the Transfer Saga.

What's everyone's favourite old Viz character btw?  Mine was 'James Garner and his Transfer Saga'.  The one about the bloke in his 30s (who's never been kissed) who still lives with his Mum and gets infuriated every time the real world doesn't behave like his computer games.

2 minutes ago, once_bitterne said:

Do you genuinely think that Southampton Football Club Ltd would sign a player rated at around £40m?

Everything suggests we are still trying to sign him. If we get that over the line as well this would easily be an exceptional window for a club with out resources. 

And even if we don't get Gakpo, it's still a very very very good window

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, ecurnew02 said:

Good move 

At the club for 75 days. Bizarre signing.

Edit: ignore me... just seen the word "loan"!

(Maybe driving a bus and trying to read the forum at the same time wasn't such a good idea afterall)

Edited by trousers
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Saint NL said:

-------

I’ll take the recruitment guys view over this.

• Like 1

Just now, jayrivers said:

And even if we don't get Gakpo, it's still a very very very good window

This is the first window since Koeman came in and signed Pelle, Mane, Alderweireld and co where we've signed more than one player I'm genuinely excited by. Already it's hard to imagine the first team without Lavia, ABK or Bazunu. Aribo doesn't look out of place and Mara is exciting from his cameos to date. Throw in the fact that Adam A has found his role in the team and Djenepo looks like a viable left back and this is the strongest our squad has been in years.

If we can add some more of the same it's got to be the best window / backing Ralph has ever had.

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, Saint NL said:

-------

Secret Scout says otherwise. "Top talents" both of them

1 minute ago, igsey said:

Suspect PSV will settle for a lower fee with a hefty sell-on clause.

Game of brinkmanship, keep it going for as long as they can in the hope that a club gets desperate at the 11th hour and blows us out of the water. We clearly seem like the main players in this right now, we'll know a bit more certainty this evening I think

50 million Euros is way above any other sale out of that league that hasn't come from Ajax and pretty much all those players Ajax have sold were proven Champions league players.

Record sale for PSV is Mephis Depay who was around 34 million Euros, so this looks likely a record sale for them if it gets to around 40 million. 

£30-35 million would also be a record for us by far. 

2 minutes ago, Saint Garrett said:

Southampton approached #Rennes for Loïc Badé. The club do not want to sell their defender at the moment but discussions will continue. Loan offer with purchase option. #mercato 
@leparisiensport

Feel that would be an odd one, he only signed for them last summer and for £15 million, with a 5 year contract so you'd think he'd be expensive. 

3 minutes ago, Saint Garrett said:

Southampton approached #Rennes for Loïc Badé. The club do not want to sell their defender at the moment but discussions will continue. Loan offer with purchase option. #mercato 
@leparisiensport

They don't want to sell him so they're offering us a loan with an option to purchase?

2 minutes ago, Saint Garrett said:

@leparisiensport

I can't keep up! I read about this guy a few weeks ago weirdly, Leicester were looking at him to replace Fofana but went for another guy in france (Belgium guy I think).

There are genuine comparisons between this guy and William Saliba. I'd be surprised if we get a loan, he's highly regarded.

Just now, Saintsfan79 said:

Am I right in thinking the Gakpo deal would have to be done by today?

No, PSV's replacement would have to be done today as their window closes. But we're still free to sign from them up until tomorrow @ 11pm.

2 minutes ago, ecurnew02 said:

94C963EC-52DB-403D-B0EB-5501E4A385C9.thumb.jpeg.1a5f09e329cf219a09cf63fb1b8641cf.jpeg

Just saw this from a PSV fan 

I was going to say, even though there’s no agreement between clubs yet, we’re still able to agree personal terms right? I’m sure I’ve seen transfers where everything has been agreed between the buying club and the player leaving just the two clubs to come to an arrangement…

I guess we’ll know when the PSV team is announced later.